Old 10-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
soundsol
Human being with feelings

Default Help:Backing up Tracks with Multiple Takes

Can someone help a newbie brother out here
Trying to use the consolidate/export tracks to backup a recording session of
drum tracks with multiple takes. Reaper seems to only create 1 file per track. So I assume that it is only backing up the active take. Tried to explode to new takes and then select only the exploded takes. Worked, but for some reason I have a split in these tracks that I cannot get to heal. (help:another issue that I am having) causing some items on the track not to explode to the new tracks. Is there an easier way to do this. I've got 11
tracks with 5 takes each and not a lot of time. Thanks in Advance
soundsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
moliere

In regards to the backing up, I probably wouldn't use consolidate if you want to keep all your takes, just do a 'save as' and tick the copy all media button and create directory button to wherever you're archiving the project. Consolidate creates 1 wav file per track as you've seen (which is what it's supposed to do).
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
soundsol

"in regards to the backing up, I probably wouldn't use consolidate if you want to keep all your takes, just do a 'save as' and tick the copy all media button and create directory button to wherever you're archiving the project. Consolidate creates 1 wav file per track as you've seen (which is what it's supposed to do)."

Thanks Moliere your reply was helpful.
however,being that I am new to comping. I was hoping that if I really screwed something up while comping these drum tracks that I could just bring the track take or takes that I screwed up back into the project without having to load the project as it was when I archived it. If I do what you have suggested will Reaper save each take as a separate media file in the project directory? If so that would be sufficient for me.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
moliere

You could open the 'archived' project in a new tab, and then just copy/paste the item (or the whole track itself) between the two projects. Easy as.

Reaper won't save each take as a separate file, I'm not sure there's any function to do that without exploding first onto separate tracks.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
soundsol

"You could open the 'archived' project in a new tab, and then just copy/paste the item (or the whole track itself) between the two projects. Easy as."

Thanks Moliere, again very helpful.
I'm feeling dumber by the minute.
I did not know that you could have multiple projects open at once. I just upgraded from version 3 to 4. In my version 3 whenever I opened a new project. The active project would close automatically. Is this a preference that I need to change?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
moliere

If you open the project via the file/open project menu option, then there's a check box for 'open in new tab'. You can also just right click up where the name of the project is and click 'new project tab', and then use the normal open/recent projects open on the new tab. Very very useful. There are also tab options to be able to play both projects at once (if you'd ever find that useful).

*edit* you may not immediately see the 'tab' at the top, I'm unsure what the default setting is, but there's also a "file/new project tab" menu item that once you click, you can right click on the tab and set 'always show tabs' if you want.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #7
soundsol

Thanks again moliere!

I have learned alot in this thread
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
moliere

No worries, happy to help.