Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-25-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
testOneTwo
Human being with feelings

Default HELP: REAPER stopped monitoring and playing back...out of the blue

Hi,

I had everything configured just fine, no audible latency when recording and monitoring processed input, workin with ASIO4all when this happened.

First of all I'd notice a sudden increase in latency (during mic test) in a project which I had saved and where I wanted to record another take.

That was odd and so (to countercheck) I started a new project and armed a track for recording and monitoring. There I had no latency (as I was used to by now...)

Back to the project file: latency.
Trying to adjust the ASIO driver's buffer. No good (still latency or dropouts). Then the monitoring went mute.

Back to a new project file. Monitoring is not possible here also.

Now, I am starting to panic. I switch to WDM Kernel streaming (which had worked, too). No sound.

each of these did not help:
- I switch back to ASIO,
- adjust the buffers,
- check the routing matrix,
- try other outputs,
- restart the computer,
- uninstall reaper and install it again

...and while I stare at the demo song I realize that not only is monitoring still broken, I can't even playback existing items!

The transport panel says "playing", but nothing happens. Cursor does not move...

REAPER sort of just stopped monitoring and playback, I am just at a dead end street and the most confusing thing is that everything worked just fine this afternoon (without audible latency, even) when I sort of watched the whole house tumble down...
*cries*

Who or what can put me back on track?
testOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Bevoss

I would:

A. Close and restart Reaper
B. If that doesn't work, reboot and clear your temp files etc
C. If nothing else works, start a new project and drag the files back in and save as/copy media into project.

Someone else may have more specific advice, usually step A or B works for me. C is for emergencies.
Bevoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
Billoon

Well if your getting no sound, first thing is make sure your getting sound from another app eg. Windows media player.

If no sound from there, its probably a hardware issue...card might have come loose???

If you get audio from WMP, try uninstall ASIO4ALL, restart and then reinstall A4A. Same with REAPER if that doesnt fix it.
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
fluffy

Something you can try is to let Reaper rebuild it's .ini file.

Browse to "Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\REAPER"

(You may have to enable the "show hidden files" option in windows explorer - "Tools\Folder Options\View\Show hidden files and folders")

Rename "reaper.ini" to "reaper.ini.old"

Now restart Reaper. It will rebuild the ini file and set Reaper to all it's default settings. Occasionally something in the ini gets corrupted, and this will cure the strangest ails. If it doesn't help, just delete the new ini, and rename "reaper.ini.old" back to "reaper.ini".

Hope this is helpful.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
testOneTwo

thanks everyone for replying,

Bevosses hint with the temp files already lead me to the application data folder with the reaper ini file... I deleted the complete directory and uninstalled REAPER, then re-installed.

Then I did have playback again. It was not hardware-related - it's a Reaper ...well...bug?

Here's what's so strange about it:

The project file with the strangely elongated latency is still there. Whenever I load that project I get more latency, with all the audio pref settings the same!

It's not the FX chain, for testing I removed everything in there, but still...

And ASIO4all does not work anymore, I work with WDM again which is not bad as I get inaudible latency in new projects using that.

- What might be causing the strangely long latency in that project file?

I have this suspicion that the crash might be connected to that, you know? And I'd really love to work with that project file without latency again as I configured the sound so nicely...
testOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
Bevoss

Have you tried rebooting, it could be XP related.

Btw CC Cleaner works great for automatic deletion of temp files etc. Very fast.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:17 PM   #7
Billoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by testOneTwo View Post
And ASIO4all does not work anymore

Uninstall it, restart, reinstall it.

ASIO4ALL puts the WDM driver in an ASIO "wrapper", so if WDM works A4A should too, just got corrupted somehow.
Billoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
Bevoss

Also, some soundcards don't support multiple clients, so your media player could have latched on to ASIO perhaps, I've seen this happen . Close other applications and open up your audio device in Reaper and see if ASIO is showing again...you may have to hit play first.