Old 06-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
cemark
Human being with feelings

Default Help: VST Effects suddenly not available

Hi everyone!

I am relatively new to Reaper, and I absolutely love it!

When I load a song I have recorded, I suddenly (today) get a message telling me that a whole bunch of my VST effects are not available. The song loads, but many instruments and effects are obviously missing.

Everything has worked perfectly up until this little problem.

Any pointers? (I'm guissing some kind of user error, but can't figure out what I can have done to cause this).

Thanks,
Johan
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Magoostus

confirm that reaper is looking in the correct VST plugins folder set in reaper preferences
Magoostus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
cemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoostus View Post
confirm that reaper is looking in the correct VST plugins folder set in reaper preferences
Thanks for replying!

The effects directories have not been changed. So, Reaper still finds all VST:s. But when I try to select one of the ones that Reaper listed as "not available", I get the same weird message "This effect is not available".

I have checked the paths (they are correct), I have done a rescan, and I have confirmed that the dll:s still are in the correct folders.

Hence, all VST:s are in place. Reapers finds them. But Reaper can's use them.

??? Weird, huh?

Running 64 bit Reaper on Windows 7 64 bit. I have loaded the same song many times, and it has been working great. Until now.

Ideas?

Johan
Old 06-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
cemark

Here is the message I get when I open the project:

The following effects were in the project file and are not available. REAPER will keep their configurations, but things may not sound as desired.

Track 1: VSTi: Synth1 VSTi (x86) (Daichi)
Track 2: VSTi: mda ePiano (x86) (maxim digital audio)
Track 8: VSTi: Zebralette (x86) (u-he)
Track 10: VSTi: PianoOne (x86) (Yichi Wang)
Track 11: VSTi: GTG DPC 3 (x86) (Mikael Sybrandt)
Track 12: VSTi: Tone2FireBird (x86) (Tone2.com)
Track 27: VSTi: EVM Bassline 1.3 (x86) (Etric van-mayer) (mono)
Track 28: VSTi: 4Front Bass Module (x86) (4Front)
Track 32: VST: Classic Chorus (x86) (Kjaerhus Audio)
Track 33: VST: ThrillseekerXTC black (x86) (Variety Of Sound)
Track 36: VST: ThrillseekerXTC black (x86) (Variety Of Sound)
Track 37: VST: ThrillseekerXTC black (x86) (Variety Of Sound)
Track 38: VST: Classic Chorus (x86) (Kjaerhus Audio)
Track 41: VSTi: SampleTank 2.x (x86) (IK Multimedia) (32 out)
Track 42: VST: Classic Chorus (x86) (Kjaerhus Audio)
Track 43: VST: Classic Chorus (x86) (Kjaerhus Audio)
Old 06-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
cemark

He he, you want to know the most "scientific" fix for this?

1. Close Reaper.
2. Launch another VST host (such as Cantabile 2 Lite), which will find and play the problematic VST:s.
3. Close the VST host.
4. Launch Reaper again, which will now find and accept all VST:s as playable again.

:-)

Now, what the heck is going on? Anyone ever had a similar issue?

Thx,
Johan
Old 06-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
cemark

Well, the problem is still there, but in a slightly different way:

The VST effects in the folder C:/programfiles(x86)/Steinberg/VSTPlugins now do load on project start up (sometimes requiring the "fix" above).

But when I try to add a new VST, all VST:s in this particular directory are unlisted, and hence cannot be added. (All other VST:s in other directories (but same drive) work fine).

From other VST hosts, however, they are visible and do work.

This is driving me nuts.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
Gerry P

Did you Clear Cache and Rescan? (in VST preferences where you set the new folder)
Old 06-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
cemark

Yes. I did that. The first time I did it -- when Reaper listed the effects as "not available" -- it had no effect. The second time I did it -- when Reaper found the effects for existing tracks, but could not add new ones from that particular directory -- it suddenly changed everything.

For now, everything seems to work fine. But I am reluctant to trust things will stay that way. Something is clearly out of wack (a technical term, he he).

Strange, huh?

How can VST plugins disappear and appear this way? Just over night when NOTHING (settings, computer, software etc) has changed?

Any ideas welcome!

Thx,
Johan
Old 06-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Gerry P

You could try to rename your Reaper.ini file (so you can get back to it if you need to) and then run Reaper, which will then create a new Reaper.ini

See if it has an effect on your problem.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
bluzkat

All of the plugins you listed are 32 bit is there a reason you are running 64 bit Reaper?

One thing I would suggest is to try 32 bit Reaper and see if you VST problem improves.

It sounds as if you have your plugins in several different folders, the other thing I would suggest is create two folders (one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit plugins). Mine for example are "C:\VST 32" and "C:\VST 64", then list these in Reaper's preferences. Just be sure when you install VSTs they go in the proper folder. If you are running 32 bit Reaper list the 32 bit folder last in the preferences, if you are using 64 bit Reaper list that folder last in the preferences.

Good luck.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:20 AM   #11
cemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
All of the plugins you listed are 32 bit is there a reason you are running 64 bit Reaper?

Hi, I run a 64-bit OS, and I have many 64-bit plugins that I use. Therefore I use 64-bit Reaper. Some plugins, however, only exist in 32-bit (or are only available to me as 32-bit). Hence, I use these 32-bit versions as well. And this has worked flawlessly.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:28 AM   #12
cemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
.... If you are running 32 bit Reaper list the 32 bit folder last in the preferences, if you are using 64 bit Reaper list that folder last in the preferences.

Good luck.

Hi, can you explain how the order is important?

(I do have several directories with plugins. I was not that concerned where they all went when I installed them. I have listed all directories in Reapers settings, and this has worked fine. Did I miss something here?)

Thx!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:30 AM   #13
cemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry P View Post
You could try to rename your Reaper.ini file (so you can get back to it if you need to) and then run Reaper, which will then create a new Reaper.ini

See if it has an effect on your problem.
Thank you! This sounds like sound advise. I will try this if the problem reappears.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:51 AM   #14
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemark View Post
Hi, can you explain how the order is important?
That is the order that Reaper will pick VSTs, sometimes VSTs that are 32bit and 64bit are named the same. The one that is listed last would be the one that Reaper chooses if they are named the same (NI is notorious for this as well as others)

If it were me, I would find suitable replacements for those 32bit plugins if you are going to run in 64bit. Actually, that's what I did about two years ago... all 64 bit.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #15
Cyclerider

Default This is still a problem

I've been using Kontact instruments in many of my songs. Today, based on a recommendation I found on this forum, I installed Voxengo SPAN using all the default installation recommendations. It was all in a separate directory from the Kontact stuff. When I loaded my songs again, I get a similar message telling me that "The following effects were in the project file and are not available. REAPER will keep their configurations, but things may not sound as desired." Then it lists the Kontact effects it can't find. These VSTs always worked before and Reaper is pointing to the same directory as before.

I even uninstalled Voxengo which removed its directory and files, which should have put the system back to the way it was before when it was working fine but no luck.

This is enough to drive one crazy when all the songs you have worked on, now won't play right anymore.

I'm wondering if some configuration file in Reaper somehow got corrupted so that even though it looks to me like it's looking in the right place, its actually looking somewhere else. I don't know what that file would be though.
Cyclerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #16
ropeadope

This is timely, I had this exact issue last night.

I was able to fix the problem by loading the VST's in Ableton, and then restarting reaper and clearing the plugin cache/rescanning my plugin directory.
ropeadope is offline   Reply With Quote