Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 08-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
themixtape
Human being with feelings

Default Maschine as VST in Reaper - FULL TUTORIAL plus Controller mode config

October 2019 updated the files / KeyMaps / etc so you don't have to configure anything

(but I would highly recommend you import the KeyMaps into a PORTABLE installation of Reaper-- I don't want my KeyMaps conflicting with yours, and I don't want to screw up your Reaper)...

see this post:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=62

Hey guys... last weekend I worked hard on getting Maschine to work great as a VST inside Reaper (multi-timbrally), without going into Controller Mode. I've since found that it's actually VERY advantageous to go into Controller Mode with Maschine, once everything is set up properly with Reaper.

This configuration is great if you prefer to use Reaper's sequencer and do a lot of MPC-style sample chopping and whatnot.. and BONUS--- you get Reaper's Media Explorer, and time-stretched looping. This is the #1 reason I prefer using Maschine as a VST... for sample-chopping (quickly and easily), and tapping these chops out to pre-made loops just to get a song idea going, and fast.

important note: I don't understand how to use Reaper's Instruments (pianos, guitars, synth leads, etc) in this way, as Maschine handles Instruments in a whole different way. This is just for the drum kit people, or the people who like the MPC-style workflow (chopping samples mainly... oldschool-style). If you need a VST instrument such as a synth bass, pads, or whatever, just create a new Reaper track and put your favorite VST instrument on it (there are hundreds of awesome free VSTs out there). But this way is great for chopping samples and playing any group you want (and having it select the track automatically- thus, ready to record when needed)... just by hitting the button that corresponds to that assigned track in Reaper. It's fast as hell.

Here's a video demonstrating how I use it... and if you download these three files below, you don't have to do any of the steps except setting up Reaper's actions (the last section).

http://dead link, sorry

(includes 1. Maschine project with included samples, 2. Controller Mode config file for Reaper, and 3. Reaper ProjectTemplate)

Here's how I did it if you want to know the full details (even if you download the pre-configured files):

STEPS

1. Create 9 tracks in Reaper.

*Make all of their inputs be MIDI: ALL INPUTS, and set each track's record mode to "Automatic Record-Arm When Track Selected" (right-click the record arm icon).

*Set each of these tracks to "RECORD: OVERDUB" by right-clicking the record arm icon (this is important especially when you're looping a section and building a pattern).

OPTIONAL - right-click the record-arm button, and select midi input quantize if you want. I usually do, set to 1/16, at 50% swing.

2. Insert Maschine as a VSTi on track 9.

3. Name track 1 "GROUP A" or "A" or whatever you like.
Name track 2 "GROUP B" or "B" or whatever you like. Repeat for all other tracks and groups.

4. Set track 1's MIDI input (in Reaper) to "Map Input To Channel" and then select Channel 1.
Do the same for all the other tracks-- track 2 will be mapped to Channel 2, track 3 will be mapped to channel 3, etc. (this is an important step).

5. Set Maschine to route each Group to a certain MIDI channel. This is easily done by first dropping a sample (any wav file) onto a single pad in each Group (so the group is active/highlighted). Once this is done, right-click the Group name directly to the left of your Scene view, and choose "Sound MIDI Batch Setup." Select "Sounds To Midi Notes".

For Group A (Channel 1), choose Channel 1.
For Group B (Channel 2), choose Channel 2... so on, so forth.

*Maschine looks like it's doing a global thing with the channels (showing the last channel number you selected, even though you're on a different group). This is NOT a global setting. It IS changing the midi channel for each group.

Reaper is now set. Now we have to do a lot of crap in Maschine's "Controller Editor" software.

----------------------

STEPS for Maschine's "Controller Editor" software

First, set the controller sensitivity to Maximum in Maschine's File menu.

1. Open up the Controller Editor software, and pick a template to use. Rename it to "Maschine in Reaper" or whatever you want.

1a. Set the Pad Velocity Curve to Soft 3 in the Template section of the Control Editor software (Soft 3 is the closest sensitivity to "Maschine Mode" (it's REALLY close... like, almost exact). This is important!!!

2. Set the midi notes for Group A. You may have to go to the "Pad Pages" section of the Control Editor software, and enable Group A. This is the only group you will use, as you will use other buttons on the Maschine hardware to select your groups (magically, with Reaper!)

3. Set the following pads chromatically in Group A to the following MIDI notes:
pad 1: note C3
pad 2: note C#3 ........ etc.
pad 15: note D4
pad 16: note D#4

------------------------

STEPS for setting Reaper ACTIONS

1. Now, see the column of buttons that go from "SCENE" down to "MUTE", directly to the left of the pads? We're going to use these 8 buttons to select tracks in Reaper, via MIDI, that match Maschine's groups. Those buttons have CC assignments... the default assignment shows SCENE is CC 112 (usually). The button below it is PATTERN and that CC assignment should be CC 113... so on, so forth, to the last button in the column (MUTE) which is CC 119.

Go into Reaper's Actions.... and search for "Track: Select track" - you'll come across a set of actions for selecting tracks 01 through 08. All you have to do here is ADD a shortcut for each action... for example, Track select 01 would be CC 112 (the SCENE button). Track 02 Select would be CC 113 (the PATTERN button), etc. So, effectively, that column of buttons on Maschine's hardware will select tracks 01 through 08, thus automatically selecting GROUPS A through H, to play/record (see Step 1 in the first section).

2. Stay in the Reaper Actions window, and find "Transport Play" - ADD a shortcut, using the PLAY button on Maschine (CC 108).

3. Stay in the Reaper Actions window, and find "Transport Record" - ADD a shortcut, using the RECORD button on Maschine (CC 109).\

4. Stay in the Reaper Actions window, and find "UNDO" - ADD a shortcut, using the ERASE button on Maschine (CC 108).

5. Stay in the Reaper Actions window, and find "Repeat" (the function to enable looping on/off in Reaper) - ADD a shortcut, using the GRID button on Maschine (CC 107).

6. Stay in the Reaper Actions window, and find "Transport Rewind" - ADD a shortcut, using the RESTART button on Maschine (CC 104).

Right now, you've just set Maschine's transport buttons to control Reaper, which everyone always wants to do! Yay Reaper.

7. Stay in the Reaper Actions window, and find "Go back one measure" - ADD a shortcut, using the < button on Maschine (CC 105).

8. Stay in the Reaper Actions window, and find "Go forward one measure" - ADD a shortcut, using the > button on Maschine (CC 106).

You can also set the 8 macro knobs on Maschine's hardware to control the volumes of tracks 1-8.

9. In Reaper Actions window, find "track volume" and make sure you're on "Set Track Volume for 01" (02, 03, 04, etc). ADD a shortcut, spin the knob you want... and voila, CC 14 (the default CC assignment for Maschine's 1st marco knob in Maschine's Control Editor software) becomes the volume knob for track 01 in Reaper (which matches Group A).

Repeat for all other tracks... track 02 would be macro knob 2, etc. etc. etc. The macro knob CCs should be as follows:
knob 1 - CC 14
knob 2 - CC 15....
knob 8 - CC 21

---------------------------

Now, just build your sounds for each group (using "Maschine Mode" (not Controller Mode)...... what I like to do is load a kit on Group A, and then chop a bunch of stuff for the other groups (B, C, D, E, F, G and H)... oftentimes I don't even need groups E F G or H.

Now go back into Controller Mode (shift + CONTROL)... and, make sure you're on Group A (the only Group you assigned)... and to play each of your Maschine groups, you just SELECT THE REAPER TRACK using the following column of buttons:

SCENE (Reaper track 01 / Group A)
PATTERN (Reaper track 02 / Group B)
PAD MODE (REaper track 03 / Group C)
NAVIGATE
DUPLICATE
SELECT
SOLO
MUTE (Reaper track 08 / Group H)

It's easy, and fast. It's basically better than using Maschine mode. You're just using the column of buttons as your Group selection (and in Reaper, track selection) instead of your Group buttons. And you can use the macro knobs for your volume (if you don't have a Mackie Control or Nanokontrol or whatever).

I don't have much more time to go into detail (with screenshots or a video)... but I WILL do that, time-permitting. It's been a very busy week. Just wanted to get you guys started. Also, I will upload a Reaper ProjectTemplate, and I'll also upload a Maschine Project to reflect all of this. But it's good to know the steps, as you will know what to do always.

This is the best way to use Maschine as a VST in Reaper and using Reaper's sequencer to record your MIDI. To make loops and patterns, just highlight the timeline in Reaper, and enable Repeat (looping on/off).

Please let me know if you guys have any questions and I'd be happy to help!

Hope this works for you!

Last edited by themixtape; 07-20-2023 at 07:09 PM.
themixtape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
themixtape

buuuump
Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Jed

Thanks a lot for giving back in this way Chris. I'll have a crack and report back.

Cheers
Jed
Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
mojotele65

Default Thanks!

Thanks! I recently got Maschine when I picked Komplete during the summer sale, been itching to use it with Reaper.
mojotele65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed View Post
Thanks a lot for giving back in this way Chris. I'll have a crack and report back.

Cheers
Jed
Thanks Jed, hopefully you had some luck. I really wish I had more time to do a video... trying, but life keeps getting in the way.

Let me know how everything works out!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojotele65 View Post
Thanks! I recently got Maschine when I picked Komplete during the summer sale, been itching to use it with Reaper.
Thanks mojotele65... let me know how it goes!
Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
plonga

Thanks for the tutorial!

I followed your steps, but I still have one problem. If I am in controller mode, the midi notes get recorded both in the Maschine track and the selected track, but I don't hear any sound, if I'm in Maschine mode I hear a sound, but the midi notes don't record.
Maybe I missed out on some important step, it's late...

Edit: After reading this post http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...53&postcount=4 I figured out, that the drumset I loaded to group A can be recorded and heard, when I choose group E. Why so, and why doesn't it work with other groups? I'm confused...

Last edited by plonga; 09-19-2012 at 12:20 PM.
plonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
themixtape

Figured I've give this thread a bump...

re: the last user's problem--- I don't select my groups by hitting the group buttons on Maschine. I select the tracks that match the group, when I'm in Maschine MIDI Control mode. It's much easier to keep track of everything this way.

I'll make a video soon showing how. Maybe tomorrow... busy day, but I might be able to get to it at night.

Another reason I'm bumping this is because I still think it's a GREAT workflow. Just made a track tonight, and lightning-fast.

Hang tight for the video.. I wish it wasn't such a pain and so time-consuming to make a video... because I really enjoy it...

-Chris
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
daytwa

Looking forward to a video Chris, and thanks for the workflow breakdown!
daytwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
romik

Hi, thank you for this thread. Perhaps you could help out with my Maschine issue.

I have Maschine hooked to computer via USB and midi keyboard connected to Maschine via midi cable. In standalone mode all works fine, but when I use Maschine as a VST within Reaper my keyboard doesn't trigger any of the sounds from Maschine.

Could you help out please?

Thanks.
romik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
themixtape

No clue man... your best bet is to hit up the Native Instruments forum. I'm sure one of the mods could help you solve your problem.

Re: my video... I worked on it a lot tonight.... it is so frustrating... CamStudio is really annoying to use.... I can't get normal-volume audio AT ALL... it's ridiculously quiet, and I'm using a good audio interface (M-Audio Delta 66 with OMNI I/O preamp box)...

Can anyone possibly give me some tips on how to do screencasts with audio?

Here's what I did:

one camera was showing my button presses on Maschine

CamStudio was recording Reaper and my mouse movements.

But... no audio during my talking part of my tutorial (well, audio... but RIDICULOUSLY LOW) basically useless audio... sigh.

So I don't know...

Argh. I think it might just be easier to give you guys
1. the Maschine project (with all samples contained)
2. The Reaper ProjectTemplate
3. Maschine's controller map file for Midi Control mode.

All you really have to do on your own is set Reaper's ACTIONS (as I wrote in the OP)... it's a little time-consuming, but not that difficult. You just have to search for each command, and then press the Maschine button or turn the Maschine knob that corresponds.

I'll keep working on this... I'll certainly try.

One video I got that's useful is me throwing together improv hip-hop loops using groups A through H... A being the kit. I just time-selected various measures in Reaper... and copied my beat... and just created random MPC-style chops over the beat... it's useful. For audio, I just ran the live audio into Sound Forge and thankfully it picked up everything I did, as I was building the loops. CamStudio sure didn't. haha. No problem syncing later, but yeah, the main part of my tutorial when I was talking about how the template and Maschine controller work together... well, that's all useless...

Sigh. I'll give it another go tomorrow....

Last edited by themixtape; 07-20-2023 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
romik

For some reason I can't assign Midi CC in Reaper's Actions menu.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
themixtape

Hey guys, ok... here is a zip file with the following:

1. Reaper Project Template for Maschine as VST
2. Maschine Project with all included samples
3. Maschine Controller Mode configuration file (.ncc)

http://dead link, sorry

The Maschine template is designed for use with 1.8, and the Reaper version I use on the regular is 4.21.

Still working on editing the video... it's not as fully informative as I'd like, but hopefully it doesn't need to be, as the main important stuff are these files....

Please let me know if it all works for you.... with these files, see the first post in this thread and pay close attention to the Reaper's Actions section, as it's essential for everything to work as intended....

Thanks!

Last edited by themixtape; 07-20-2023 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #14
romik

Thanks Chris. How do you assign CC numbers in Action list?
Old 02-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
themixtape

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. When you're in Maschine Controller Mode, the buttons SCENE, PATTERN, PAD MODE, etc... are all pre-configured as CC #'s. If you go into Reaper's Actions (hit the ? as a shortcut to get to it)... you should be able to assign any of those CC buttons to an action in Reaper.

What would greatly help is OPEN Maschine's Controller Mode Editor, and you can see which numbers and which buttons are assigned on the Maschine hardware. From there, just go into the Actions menu, and find the action you want, and then hit "Add" - and it waits for you to hit a button (it's basically MIDI LEARN)... and then Reaper remembers that that button becomes that action in Reaper.

That's the best I can explain it. You might want to use the search engine in this forum to get more help.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #16
romik

The problem is that hitting anything on Maschine makes no action in Reaper's action list for some reason. I can use Maschine without problems in standalone and plugin modes.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
themixtape

You need to be in MIDI CONTROLLER MODE (hold SHIFT and hit CONTROL button on Maschine). That sounds like it's the only problem. Again, you may want to use the search engine or start a new topic.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
themixtape

Ok, the vid's done processing. It's 17 minutes long... I talk a lot in the first 2/3 of the vid... and then demonstrate the template, throwing together quick hip-hop loops.

Please let me know if you guys find this helpful. There's a link to download the three important files in the first post (it's only about 8MB).

Thanks!

Last edited by themixtape; 02-08-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
romik

Thanks Chris, great video! Really appreciate the effort.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
themixtape

No prob, thanks man.... it was my first attempt at a tuto, so I rambled a lot, and didn't fully cover every detail, but hopefully the zip file covers basically everything except the setting Reaper actions thing.

I really find it to be a great workflow. It's so easy to flesh out and arrange a song and add vocals or other loops right then and there. I hate Maschine's song mode, it's still counterintuitive... I prefer to work like this... and click and drag stuff where I need it. It's like an MPC workflow but a million times faster.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #21
romik

EDIT: I can hear sounds in control mode now. Had to set Maschine Controller Virtual Input. But still getting a huge delay though.

Ok. Set it all up. When I select track 1/group 1 whilst in Controller Mode there is no sound when hitting pads. When I switch to Mashine mode pads start playing, but with a rather obvious delay.

Last edited by romik; 02-08-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #22
themixtape

I'm almost positive this has something to do with input monitoring in Reaper.... I was getting the same thing when I started messing with it, but resolved the problem and didn't remember how. And also, I used to use this with Sonar X1, but X1 has a bug where Maschine has a massive delay, if you use a count-in for the metronome. Another reason I switched to Reaper.

Make sure each Group track (A - H) has input monitoring on.

Can anyone else verify? Has anyone had a similar problem?

Are you using a good audio driver, such as ASIO (and not WDM or the other audio driver types)...? Buffer set low, like 512 or 256?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:02 AM   #23
romik

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
I'm almost positive this has something to do with input monitoring in Reaper.... I was getting the same thing when I started messing with it, but resolved the problem and didn't remember how. And also, I used to use this with Sonar X1, but X1 has a bug where Maschine has a massive delay, if you use a count-in for the metronome. Another reason I switched to Reaper.

Make sure each Group track (A - H) has input monitoring on.

Can anyone else verify? Has anyone had a similar problem?

Are you using a good audio driver, such as ASIO (and not WDM or the other audio driver types)...? Buffer set low, like 512 or 256?
I am on OSX. Buffer in Maschine 512. Input monitoring on.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
romik

Sorted the delay, track with Maschine plugin wasn't armed.

Still trying to make it work. For instance, I can only trigger group A, none of the other groups trigger samples thay are on that group. I can see this is a great system, but setting it all up is problematic in my case. Can't set midi channel for group A and B, if I set A to channel 1, then group B sets to channel 1, set it channel 2 and another one sets itself to channel 2 (midi).
Old 02-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #25
themixtape

Do you mean it sets itself inside Maschine's options (which you don't need to mess with, I believe)... or in Reaper?

Glad you got it sorted out, at least the delay (I forgot, I knew it had something to do with input monitoring... so it's the Maschine OUTPUT track that does it)..

But yeah, everything should be a go... is Reaper set with the different MIDI channels? (for each group)?
Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #26
themixtape

I think if you're talking about Reaper's MIDI channel settings, you may have multiple tracks selected/highlighted. It's hard to tell with Reaper sometimes, but if you notice you're changing a track setting in Reaper and all the other tracks are changing along with it, they're all selected. Click the mouse only on one track to make sure it's only changing the setting on that ONE track.

If you could be a lot more specific, it would be helpful... also, please try to hit up the Native Instruments forum as well. Usually everyone there is REALLY helpful when it comes to Maschine matters. Again, this is a Reaper forum, so maybe that's why not a lot of people are responding. NI's forum is great... especially Saintjoe over there (he runs a site called MaschineTutorials.com)
Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #27
romik

Quote:
I think if you're talking about Reaper's MIDI channel settings, you may have multiple tracks selected/highlighted. It's hard to tell with Reaper sometimes, but if you notice you're changing a track setting in Reaper and all the other tracks are changing along with it, they're all selected. Click the mouse only on one track to make sure it's only changing the setting on that ONE track.

If you could be a lot more specific, it would be helpful... also, please try to hit up the Native Instruments forum as well. Usually everyone there is REALLY helpful when it comes to Maschine matters. Again, this is a Reaper forum, so maybe that's why not a lot of people are responding. NI's forum is great... especially Saintjoe over there (he runs a site called MaschineTutorials.com)
You know point number 5 in your tutorial, where you set midi channel within Maschine (batch) for 8 groups. Well, when I set group 1 to midi channel 1 it sets group 2 to same channel. If I set it to channel 2 same again happens and group 2 is set to channel 2. Within Reaper I have set all 8 channels as in your description.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #28
themixtape

You're misunderstanding. If you read the bold part right after step 5 in the first section, it looks like Maschine is setting everything globally. It's not. It is setting each midi track to a different number. If you have the setting set properly (Sounds to Midi Notes) and then changing the channel (even though it LOOKS like a global change)... it should work.

Make sure each Group track in Reaper has input monitoring on... and make sure when you select one of those tracks (in Reaper), that you're getting sound. It seems like it's worked for other people... it should work for you, too. I don't understand anything OSX as I'm not a Mac user, but I think everything works the same...

Keep us posted...
Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #29
romik

To be honest I am more of a keys man & since I can't get it to work properly, I was thinking of using Kontakt for multitimbrality, use Maschine as an independent VST and FX module on Master and using it as a controller for jamming/performing. That way I can use pads for other options, like switching between regions ie 1-4, etc.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #30
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by romik View Post
To be honest I am more of a keys man & since I can't get it to work properly, I was thinking of using Kontakt for multitimbrality, use Maschine as an independent VST and FX module on Master and using it as a controller for jamming/performing. That way I can use pads for other options, like switching between regions ie 1-4, etc.
Ah, didn't know you were a keys guy. That might work better for you, then. Sampletank is another great multitimbral VST and a lot cheaper than Kontakt (and K's instruments)... I'd recommend that over Kontakt any day.

Best of luck!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #31
anokah

Hi! Really digging the look of your workflow, and was hoping to get into it. But i seem to be having the same problem as another user, where i cant get Reaper to recognise maschine inputs when i´m trying to set up the actions. I have it in midi-mode with your template in the controller editor. And if i just try to set up a channel in Reaper to see if there´s any midi action, it registers fine. But when trying to customize the actions list, it doesn´t register at all. Any ideas?
anokah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #32
anokah

Figured it out myself. If anyone else can´t get actions to register, you have to make sure your Maschine midi input is allowed to send CC messages.

Thanks for the sweet setup
anokah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #33
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by anokah View Post
Figured it out myself. If anyone else can´t get actions to register, you have to make sure your Maschine midi input is allowed to send CC messages.

Thanks for the sweet setup
Ah glad you figured it out! Can you let everyone know how to make sure Maschine's midi in is allowed to send CC messages? I don't remember how...

Also, I think in the MIDI options in Preferences - you have to enable midi INPUT plus CONTROL (which I think is what you mean)...? I'll add it to the steps and an annotation on the video!

Last edited by themixtape; 07-20-2023 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #34
romik

Hi guys,

I am getting some weirdness in Reaper using Maschine in controller mode, I select a track adjust its volume via a knob and then all of the sudden panning on another track goes hard right. I checked program cc numbers, non are shared between different actions, so it shouldn't happen.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #35
acintya

Thanks for everything. Would be great if you did some additional videos of your other ideas (if you have some). Thanks! However: when I lower the volume of the tracks(the knobs work) but the gain is the same all the time, when the fader is on 20-30-40 or 80%, it doesnt matter. What I am doing wrong??

The only thing that bothers me that the pads are not so responsive in midi mode... and I have sensitivity set to max.. :\ I must hit like crazy

Last edited by acintya; 03-09-2013 at 05:49 PM.
acintya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #36
pac0naut

Honestly, this looks amazing and one of the reasons I'm saving up for Maschine. That workflow looks ultra easy. Thanks for showing it off!
pac0naut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #37
themixtape

\m/

thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #38
jmp909

good stuff. thanks,

but just wondering why you didn't/couldn't map A-H group buttons on Maschine to A-H in reaper?
jmp909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #39
themixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp909 View Post
good stuff. thanks,

but just wondering why you didn't/couldn't map A-H group buttons on Maschine to A-H in reaper?
No prob, glad you found it helpful.

You can't midi-map the Group buttons in MIDI Controller Mode. That's why I mapped the others. Plus, I like the vertical layout, as it's just like Reaper's tracks.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #40
Mister36

Quote:
No prob, glad you found it helpful.

You can't midi-map the Group buttons in MIDI Controller Mode. That's why I mapped the others. Plus, I like the vertical layout, as it's just like Reaper's tracks.
You can map the Group buttons if you want. The trade-off is that you lose the ability to have "pages" of pads (which is what the Groups buttons control by default - they're set up to span the octaves). You just have to disable the "Pad pages" in the Controller Editor. The Group buttons then become normal, assignable buttons like all the other buttons.

I didn't come here to correct you though! I found the thread through the repost on the Reaper Blog and was just intrigued by what you meant by "time-stretched looping" (in the opening to your OP). Were you just referring to individual audio items in REAPER when the transport loop is enabled?

Also, just wondering really, why do you find it so much better to use Maschine the way that you explain? To me, using MIDI mode to play Maschine as standard practice is a little counter-intuitive, especially as it seems you're setting up MIDI mode to essentially mirror the Maschine (control mode) pads.

However, with the easy access to the volume etc. for tracks will be preferable to some. There are just so many different ways to use this stuff together! It boggles the mind sometimes. I have different needs and purposes though, so I have the audio of each Group routed to different tracks in REAPER on which I put all Group effects that I control with MIDI mode and a Nanokontrol. I actually use the Group buttons to select the Groups/tracks, which the knobs and buttons in MIDI mode control the effects for e.g., in MIDI mode, press Group button A, the knobs and buttons control the effects on the track that Group A's audio is routed to.

Anyway, I've talked enough, sorry. Interesting to see how different people use Maschine, especially inside REAPER, though.
Mister36 is offline   Reply With Quote