Old 12-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
stinky634
Human being with feelings

Default Getting rid of punch in pops/clicks

Most of the punch ins I do seem to throw in a pop/click right at the start of the new take. If I move the starting point for the take over a bit the click moves with it and I can't seem to get rid of it. Is this a natural occurring thing or something wrong on my end? It's very annoying to say the least!

I'm using a focusrite saffire 6, asio drivers, buffer to 3xx with 8ms latency. I had it at 3 ms but moved it around to see if it helped with these clicks. Should I move it even more?
stinky634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
ashcat_lt

It's almost impossible and only accidental that both the old take and the new will start at exactly the same sample level. If it has to jump much, you'll hear that click. A short fade between them will usually cure the problem. Reaper will do it automatically if you have that option turned on.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
stinky634

I noticed I could fade them in and hide it, but I was hoping it wasn't the final solution. I mostly track bass guitar and its hard to fade in punches without being obvious some of the time.

I just figured out how to work with the crossfade option, maybe that will help me better than the auto fade. I turned the auto fade off, thats probably why the clicks are more obvious now.

Last edited by stinky634; 12-12-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
ashcat_lt

Usually the fades can be really quick. It only takes smoothing the transition a tiny bit.

More importantly, though, you should be playing into the punch. That is, you should have the playback running from at least a few measures before the punch, and play along from before the punch in point until after the punch out point. It makes a very noticeable difference.

Better yet, stop doing punches and just record extra takes, again with at least some pre- and post-roll.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
ivansc

Just as it used to be with tape, it is always a question of finding the best place to go in and out of punch, which may well cover a lot more than just the area where you have the blooper.

The skill is always withe the engineer knowing the best place to drop in and out, not the player fixing it!
and yes, always allow plenty of settling in time for the player to blend with what he.she already did.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
stinky634

OK sounds good. I try my best to do one take tracks but sometimes I just mess up a fill or lose my timing, it happens. My last track had 2 punches but one had this popping noise, the other didn't. Also, I do always record ahead and behind any punch so I can move the fade around and make the transition seamless.

As long as its not any technical glitch caused by user error or faulty hardware then I am ok with it, I figured it must have had to be something wrong. Thanks for the help!!