Old 03-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #41
morgon
Human being with feelings

The songs and performances are plenty good enough imo or I wouldn't have involved myself. The problem the way I see it is not whether an idea, gtr solo or whatever is accepted, rejected or worked up until its better, or whether that makes the cut either, its that in all cases it takes time and theres no paying public to add incentive. Im still willing to participate if wanted but theres gonna be times when I'm in no hurry. For example Lord what a morning, Im still picking away at it, redid my rhythm gtr track totally. Might be a fizzer but sounds ok to me, so if I dont rush it doesnt feel like a waste of energy if it bounces...

Somebodys reefing this phone from me, later
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #42
flickervetigo

what possess people to volunteer to paly on other people's songs?

would I fit into your band? ...would you fit into mine?

you show up at practice, put a lot of goop on your guitar, and it just doesn't ift...

the music director says, "well, that doesn't ift at all"

then what?
flickervetigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #43
flickervetigo

the music director tells you what he wants...

you'd like to be in the band, but you wont play what they want you to play...

then what?
Old 03-26-2015, 03:29 PM   #44
flickervetigo

...and maybe it's a matter of talent...

oh my

maybe you simly cant play the way the music director wants you too play

then what?

that's why people move to LA... out of those millions of people, hundreds of thousand so guitar palyers. somebody's gonna be on your wavelength

will that wavelength be a commercial success?
Old 03-26-2015, 03:38 PM   #45
flickervetigo

but nobody cares about commercial success, do they?

the ony thing that counts is art

and If the art consists of sounding like an emotional trainwreck that nobody wants to listen to, well, so wha?

it's art, and that's all that coundts

Old 03-26-2015, 05:04 PM   #46
SaulT

Quote:
the music director tells you what he wants...
you'd like to be in the band, but you wont play what they want you to play...
then what?
Then you leave and go off to do your own thing. Compromise is a pre-requisite in any group project, and sometimes it means playing things that you aren't wild about playing. Some bands work as collaborations, but just as many are the vision of one or two people, and if you can't work within that framework, then don't.

If you don't want to play with others, then don't. If you do, then learn how to compromise and do your best to work with others and not against them.

Quote:
and If the art consists of sounding like an emotional trainwreck that nobody wants to listen to, well, so wha?
it's art, and that's all that coundts
Sometimes it's okay to be an emotional trainwreck that nobody wants to listen to. Sometimes it's okay to be artsy and make music that doesn't always work. It depends on your goal, what you want out of music, and how realistic that goal is. E.g., if your life's ambition is to be on stage and have thousands of people gasp in awe as you frenetically noodle your way through another ode of bitterness to your ex, then that goal probably isn't realistic. On the other hand, if you want to get together with some buddies and play a blues gig at your local bar every once in a while, that's perhaps a little more attainable.

I tend to think of music as a vehicle for connection. Some areas of the world have communities that are strongly bound together by their music, and I think that we taste a little of what that's like when we collaborate and jam together and go see a really good artist.
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #47
flickervetigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulT View Post
Sometimes it's okay to be an emotional trainwreck...
please post examples of your musical trainwrecks so I can decide whenther or not I want you to visit them on my songs
Old 03-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #48
ReaperMadness

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 03-29-2015 at 11:16 AM.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #49
flickervetigo

the logic is there... so are the facts...

it goes like this...

music is powerful... some people think the beatles caused the downfall of the USSR

we know there are powerful people who intend to establish "benevolent global hegemony" by using "full spectrum dominance", presumably including domination of music production and distribution

sometimes I wonder if reaper is funded by the National Institute of Mental Health

...but I am not a music therapist

neither am I a railroad man

Last edited by flickervetigo; 03-26-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:09 AM   #50
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickervetigo View Post
what possess people to volunteer to paly on other people's songs?
Good lyrics, if you ask me. That's singing, of course... but if the music is good, and the song kind of fits you, it's only natural, I think. And good practise. Maybe you can't make good music on your own, though you're accomplished in this and that.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #51
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickervetigo View Post

...maybe you simly cant play the way the music director wants you too play

then what?

that's why people move to LA... out of those millions of people, hundreds of thousand so guitar palyers. somebody's gonna be on your wavelength

will that wavelength be a commercial success?
When Pink Floyd made a record theyd kinda jam a lot for a few months, but it was an educated jam, they could work on stuff at home then bring it to the next session, adding stuff, deleting stuff, increasing the sheer bulk of it, then theyd spend months sorting through it, deciding what to leave out, that was the issue at that stage. Unfortunately obviously theres not that possibility in a forum as has been mentioned.

Playing appropriately according to...well a couple hundred years ago none of us has played anything appropriate.

Then theres those bands with 3 guitar players, all playing the exact same thing, and theyre on TV! -thats inappropriate.

Lord what a morning is surprisingly tricky for the 2nd RG imo. Im hammering away at that muted boogie sound where the gtr is kind of percussive more than melodic. Its more of a delicate operation than I thought getting that right, dont wanna be too ornate. If you got gtrs panned left and right plus one in the centre, then the left and right ones cant very well just stop playing when it starts to clash with something, have to find the groove and pick a way through.

Last edited by morgon; 03-27-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #52
flickervetigo

yes, even under the best conditions --everbody being in the same place at the same time, the best equipment, great players-- people spend months on one song...

...but that "best condition" includes somebody who knows what sounds good, and he's got to have demonstrated his ability -- the ability to put a bunch of sows' ears together to make a silk puirse

he's got to have demonstrated that ability so the other players will trust his judgment and take his direction

brian Wilson, in the old days, apparently just knew... that's all there was to it and he apparently was a dictator in the studio... not because he was on a power trip, but because he knew and the other beach boys understood that and they submitted to his authority

so when we're talking about "best conditions", that includes somebody who knows and has demonstrated that they know...

working on the internet, that's an awful hard to meet that requirement

Last edited by flickervetigo; 03-27-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #53
Jorgen

With ReaperMadness on piano, B3, and a little string... it was a challenge for me to make the piano work with the acoustics... well, here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4fssgcw4n...0321e.mp3?dl=0

At its core, it's a minimalistic piece with few variations... problem is not to get boring.

edit - RM, forgot about those two extra fourths, try it later.

Last edited by Jorgen; 03-28-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:55 AM   #54
Jorgen

I'm going to change some stuff... re-write a passage of four bars... redo the gits... RM, I'm keeping your stuff as is, I'm really digging it, I'll try to play something more in lock with your playing. Later.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:04 PM   #55
ReaperMadness

I think it sounds pretty good as it is.

What do you think about updating the link in your original post to reflect the latest iteration of this cool tune, so that anyone new to this thread will hear the full boat?

We do sound lovely together, don't we?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #56
DaveStuff

Heard a couple of versions while I was browsing the thread talking about the ups and downs of collaborating over the internet.

The song resembles "Comfortably Numb" at first... But has plenty of originality to it as it goes.

The first version sounds great...This one I hear now with the piano and organ added even better.Has a nice vibe to it.. Psychedelic Folk Blues.. Too many influences to pin down really...

And the recording and production... Amazing. This home recording stuff has really taken off.. In fact... When the song finished in Itunes a Beck song started after and the sound quality was about as good in my opinion..

Is it OK to collaborate over the internet? Sounds pretty bad ass to me! In fact I'd like to do some of that myself being my playing ability is certainly limited.

Jam on!
DaveStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #57
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStuff View Post
.................. Is it OK to collaborate over the internet? Sounds pretty bad ass to me! In fact I'd like to do some of that myself being my playing ability is certainly limited.

Jam on!
Glad you dug it. Jorgen did the mixing (and the music, the instigating, guitars, bass, arranging... well - everything except for the keyboards. And, yeah, he did do a pretty good job - I agree.

"Is it OK to collaborate over the internet?" Gawwwwd. You mean it may NOT be? Ru-Oh.

What d'ya' play? Post something up.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:39 AM   #58
Jorgen

Quote:
Heard a couple of versions while I was browsing the thread talking about the ups and downs of collaborating over the internet.

The song resembles "Comfortably Numb" at first... But has plenty of originality to it as it goes.

The first version sounds great...This one I hear now with the piano and organ added even better.Has a nice vibe to it.. Psychedelic Folk Blues.. Too many influences to pin down really...

And the recording and production... Amazing. This home recording stuff has really taken off.. In fact... When the song finished in Itunes a Beck song started after and the sound quality was about as good in my opinion..

Is it OK to collaborate over the internet? Sounds pretty bad ass to me! In fact I'd like to do some of that myself being my playing ability is certainly limited.

Jam on!
In Itunes...? Almost never use it... you mean the Itunes player? And thanks a bunch. Jam it is!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:41 AM   #59
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
Glad you dug it. Jorgen did the mixing (and the music, the instigating, guitars, bass, arranging... well - everything except for the keyboards. And, yeah, he did do a pretty good job - I agree.
Would not have happened without Syd's poetry.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:50 AM   #60
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
I think it sounds pretty good as it is.

What do you think about updating the link in your original post to reflect the latest iteration of this cool tune, so that anyone new to this thread will hear the full boat?

We do sound lovely together, don't we?
High five! Yes, the links in the op, I've thought about that, maybe I should do it - or I just make a mess... besides, me personally wouldn't mind reading the thread as it is, was I interested in the process and how stuff develops. But I imagine I'd do something like that, when I think it's finished... soon.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #61
DaveStuff

Yep... A Beck song came on right after I downloaded and played yours in the itunes player. The quality rivaled it easily.

I have been liking a few people here and there on Soundcloud too... Lurking awhile to compare fellow Reaper users... I'm listening to Reaper Madness stuff right now. May Meditation, 1:48, 444 The first one reminds me of Brian Eno or something... Music For Airports...

I am the finishing stages of recording my '1st Album' lol As I get rough mixes I'll prob post them to get some objective views of the quality etc.

Then I'll give them out to friends and family for Christmas...

Uh.... It's fun! ))
Old 04-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #62
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Yep... A Beck song came on right after I downloaded and played yours in the itunes player. The quality rivaled it easily.

I have been liking a few people here and there on Soundcloud too... Lurking awhile to compare fellow Reaper users... I'm listening to Reaper Madness stuff right now. May Meditation, 1:48, 444 The first one reminds me of Brian Eno or something... Music For Airports...

I am the finishing stages of recording my '1st Album' lol As I get rough mixes I'll prob post them to get some objective views of the quality etc.

Then I'll give them out to friends and family for Christmas...

Uh.... It's fun! ))
Hey. I know that RM guy. He thanks you for checking his stuff out, and also requests that you leave some comments right on his SC page - nobody ever seems to do that - and he doesn't care what you say. Say you love it, say it sux. Just say something. He would be tickled; I mean it ('cept the part about anything 'sucking.' He really wants you to say you are totally flipped for everything).

Brian Eno, huh... I never had that response before. It's good. I'll that as a compliment. Thanks, Mr. Stuff.

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 04-02-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #63
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
With ReaperMadness on piano, B3, and a little string... it was a challenge for me to make the piano work with the acoustics... well, here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d4fssgcw4n...0321e.mp3?dl=0

At its core, it's a minimalistic piece with few variations... problem is not to get boring.

edit - RM, forgot about those two extra fourths, try it later.

This sounds great.

I like it.

I have a perforated right eardrum so I can't really hear the right side..but the left sounds great.

Kinda Pink Floydy
Old 04-03-2015, 03:33 AM   #64
DaveStuff

I didn't realize you could comment on soundcloud... In fact I am overwhelmed by all of these 'services' ya know?

It appears people are getting some notoriety simply on the internet these days. Selling records. Even making a living simply from sharing music on the web. What a trip.. Some do it with 'covers' WOW

I been recording demos with bands and by myself since I was a kid.. Now this digital age I am hoping I can get something that sounds almost pro.

I never been in a 'real' studio... Except to just record drum tracks on a friends record. But you know... It's all about me.... ME lol
whatever....

I just wanna have some fun.. And I'm having more fun than I did playing covers in the local bars...
Old 04-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #65
Jorgen

Quote:
Well then, here's how to do it - track it like a record. Make it sound in the cans as you figure it should sound when ready, screw levels... friendly advice, seems to work for me. And I mix in cans - why not? Rarely I "fix it in the mix" - but almost every time I tried it, it was fun and rewarding.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:02 AM   #66
morgon

Had a lot of puter troubles lately but picked up on this again today, in fact most what I did was today. Still rough and sketchy, lot more to be done, the bit at 1.30 sounds kinda good imo.

Jorgen, are we still on for this one?

Edit - Well your tracks might be complete, they sound pretty good, I can improve what Ive done so far...

https://app.box.com/s/2jo4w6590msaeslodfwx8da1cmwi6hjm

Last edited by morgon; 07-06-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #67
Jorgen

That sounds way cool -over hear, we've had a heatwave, I'm doing nothing, sitting it out.

Song didn't turn out too bad - you got the one with reapermadness on keys?
Old 07-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #68
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
That sounds way cool -over hear, we've had a heatwave, I'm doing nothing, sitting it out.

Song didn't turn out too bad - you got the one with reapermadness on keys?
The posted ones the only one Ive got so I'll DL the updated one.

Last edited by morgon; 07-06-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:37 PM   #69
morgon

I kinda just loaded the old file I stumbled across and fired off those tracks. Then I thought it maybe sounded good enough to think about such version but Im not fixated on the notion, just yesterday's thought really...
Old 07-07-2015, 02:55 AM   #70
Jorgen

Put it down, what you have got is probably enough, I mix it in with the other stuff.