Old 03-12-2011, 12:56 AM   #1
Aeio
Human being with feelings

Default Smaller piano roll?

Is it possible to have a smaller size (width) piano keys in the MIDI editor layout? With Walter or through some other measures?

I saw someone post here a pic from another DAW that had this, and have been yearning for such a thing ever since.

Last edited by Aeio; 03-16-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Aeio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
Subz

do you mean the piano key?

the width is the time-line otherwise?

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #3
mikeroephonics

If you mean adding a way to adjust the vertical "piano key/note area divider bar" left & right, then I'm all for it. More customizable screen real estate is always welcome.

If this does get added, I request that it is adjustable to move ALL the way to the left, as to hide the piano key graphics entirely (just like we can with the v4 "TCP/Arrange area" divider bar.

- Mike

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 03-12-2011 at 03:49 AM.
mikeroephonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
krahosk

The width is too delicate to arrange: a mouse coordinate detection at the edge of the piano key would interfere with note editing. It's too close!

Moreover, the MIDI CC type selection box shares the same width as the piano keys. One wouldn't to reduce the size of that one at the same time; they are different features altogether.

However, though they share the same panel, the current solution would to have a button or an action that allow to hide/show the piano keys/cc box at the same time. And to make that option clear, it would be called:

"Hide/Show Piano keys and MIDI CC commands".

For the benefit of having a wider view of measures and tracking.

I wonder what is and and will be Walterizable for the MIDI editor window.
It would open up a world of possibilities.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
JonnyGinese

You can try in line midi editing.. Press "E" on the midi track... when done press "E"
JonnyGinese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
krahosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post
You can try in line midi editing.. Press "E" on the midi track... when done press "E"
No. The MIDI editor window is more powerful.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
Aeio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
do you mean the piano key?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeroephonics View Post
If you mean adding a way to adjust the vertical "piano key/note area divider bar" left & right, then I'm all for it. More customizable screen real estate is always welcome.

If this does get added, I request that it is adjustable to move ALL the way to the left, as to hide the piano key graphics entirely (just like we can with the v4 "TCP/Arrange area" divider bar.

Yes. That's it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
Moreover, the MIDI CC type selection box shares the same width as the piano keys. One wouldn't to reduce the size of that one at the same time; they are different features altogether.
Hmm, you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGinese View Post
Ha! Thanks for pointing this one out. I might actually start using the inline editor more just because of it having the "piano key ruler" that I fancy.

Tinkering with this right now, I might even dare to suggest that the "inline ruler" might be visually/cognitively superior to the default ruler in the main MIDI editor. For me, at least, my eyes tend to focus on the right pitch faster -- because of the ruler being 1D instead of 2D. (Would love to try this out with the dimmed scale settings etc.)

YMMV.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
hopi

now that such things are being mentioned again, I'd add that IF the midi editor piano keys get the ablility to be shortened, then I'd the compliment ability to make them longer so they can hold longer text names when using a drum map text file... oh yeah.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #9
Aeio

Yes, should have called it "piano keys" instead of "piano roll"; edited the first post to reflect this. (Would like to edit the title as well, if I could... maybe one of the admins could do this? Tx.)

--

Having given some thought to my reluctance towards the 2D piano keys... it must be something to do with the fact that 95% of the time one sees a piano key (in real life), it's in a horizontal position.

Personally, having a somewhat realistic looking keyboard laid out vertically on the screen, seems to make me want to rotate my head counterclockwise. (Yes, seriously. )

--

Actually, it would be REALLY interesting to experiment with using a MIDI editor that was rotated full 90 degrees. So that the piano keys were there as they are now - but laid out horizontally, and the timeline ran down similar to how it's usually done in trackers.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeio View Post
Actually, it would be REALLY interesting to experiment with using a MIDI editor that was rotated full 90 degrees. So that the piano keys were there as they are now - but laid out horizontally, and the timeline ran down similar to how it's usually done in trackers.
This idea has been discussed on few occasions, there's a FR too.

vertical piano roll ?
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=44030

vertical piano roll?
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=49586

In the feature request threads:
Vertical piano roll thread, (if its easy to do)
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=50317

and finally the related feature request:
Horizontal piano roll
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1317
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:58 AM   #11
Aeio

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
This idea has been discussed on few occasions, there's a FR too.
Thanks, xpander! Great stuff.

I actually experimented with this yesterday; rotated an external monitor 90 degrees (in Ubuntu settings) and used the mouse (in 45% angle, as I couldn't figure out a way to rotate the mouse direction) to sketch a few loops.

It's really fun...