Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 02-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #81
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
To decently test it, I would need to install the beta version on the same PC but be able to go on using the proven version for production. Is this somehow possible ?
Sure. To make it safe, you can 1) work on copies of your production RPP files (I mean RPP files with your Live Config data)
2) you can rename the "stable" reaper_sws.dll you are using (or .dylib on OS X) into something like __stable_reaper_sws.dll, and then install the SWS beta (this way, you can restore the backup/stable version at any time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
You do remember that I did an update to the user manual reflecting the current version. Do you want me to update it to the version to come ?
Yes, I remember, and thanks a lot for that (again)!
Feel free to update the doc, but may be wait for the next few SWS versions to come: things will probably evolve again (moving some code from a separate extension to the SWS open source...).

BTW, may be I'll tweak this doc too... Do you have an editable version of doc to share? (googledoc or something?)

Last edited by Jeffos; 02-08-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #82
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Hi Jeffos!

Thanks so much for the update!! Eight configs is a nice number, indeed! I am designing a setup for a band I will join again after some break, and Live Configs are a great tool; Reaper´s community cannot thank you enough for your achievement.

One question : is it possible to load for each FX a set of fxps? In the Set Preset menu, I see the fxp format mentioned, but it doesn´t seem to allow loading it.

Right now, for the type of maneuvers we´re needing in this project - and mainly due to Reaper´s handling of its own preset system, in a global fashion -, I´m using Bidule in a Reaper´s track to host FXs and handle presets and programming in the most flexible way. Nevertheless, I´m using extensively Live Config´s Monitor Window, which is just perfect to have feedback of the changes I trigger with a left-foot pedal, and I even integrate it with your wonderful MIDItoReaControl plug, which allows me to send back some manipulated CC in Bidule to ascend/descend through the Config list in sync with Bidule´s changes (!)

Right now, I have to say everything is gorgeous regarding this tool. If you want a couple of ideas, I can leave the following to your consideration :

- An option to go back (in all simultaneous) configs to a user-specified slot with a dedicated action. For example, I´m using CC24 to load next slot and CC25 to go back to the previous one. With this idea, CC26 (assigned to this new action) could go back to 0, 1 or any slot number one specifies...

- An option to float independently and/or simultaneously the monitor windows of all Configs. Not right now, but at some point, I´ll be in charge of a project with 5 controllers and 2 voices. If you´re in the computer supervising everything, it could be useful to have an insight of the changes of each performer - with the possibility to trigger a change if something went wrong with one of them -.

Just a couple of ideas, in case you consider them of any value. As I said before, Reaper´s preset handling needs a revision, for my taste, but this tool is already, as mschnell says, a wonderful approach to using Reaper as a live musical instrument.

Greets!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:23 PM   #83
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
- An option to go back (in all simultaneous) configs to a user-specified slot with a dedicated action. For example, I´m using CC24 to load next slot and CC25 to go back to the previous one. With this idea, CC26 (assigned to this new action) could go back to 0, 1 or any slot number one specifies...
I did a (set of) jsfx'es that does this "on top of LiveConfigs". It defines songs and preset "steps" in songs. (Each preset "step" in a song is assigned to (e.g.) a LiveConfigs line). Right now it is controlled by PC keyboard shortcuts but I am planning to make it listen to Midi events.

With this additional level of abstraction you can set up the LiveConfigs table just according to the sounds/patches, independently form the performance you are planning.

This Toolset also features a nice sizable display.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #84
Soli Deo Gloria

Well, that sounds incredibly useful! Have you publicly released any of them?
Old 02-09-2016, 12:09 AM   #85
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Well, that sounds incredibly useful! Have you publicly released any of them?
Not yet, but planning.

Please read the description here -> http://www.bschnell.de/patch.pdf

If you think you like it I will send you the files and we can work together on extending it to Midi receiving (please send me you e-mail address in a personal message).

-Michael
Old 02-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #86
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks so much, mschnell! I´ve already sent you a pm, so we´ll continue by mail...
Old 04-17-2016, 05:18 AM   #87
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffos View Post
Sure. To make it safe, you can 1) work on copies of your production RPP files (I mean RPP files with your Live Config data)
2) you can rename the "stable" reaper_sws.dll you are using (or .dylib on OS X) into something like __stable_reaper_sws.dll, and then install the SWS beta (this way, you can restore the backup/stable version at any time).
Just to let you know:

Did that and installed the new prerelease version (Windows X64).

In my setup, it did not work right away: It did not react on the messages sent.

later this day, I will try to learn the messages again.

-Michael
Old 04-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #88
mschnell

Hi Jeffos,

After Re-learning the CC it seems to work as expected. The Content of the Config I used (Just #1) seems still completely in place.

So it's just a very small glitch that the new version did not automatically understand the learned CC and channel.

Is there anything I should especially test with LiveConfigs ?

-Michael
Old 03-27-2017, 04:54 AM   #89
Glacierise

Hi,

Thanks for the great work! I was just about to write about not being able to switch configs using automation, but I found your MidiToReaControl plugin and now it works! Crazy stuff is possible here, working on it
Glacierise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:48 AM   #90
mschnell

In fact I don't know who provided the extremely useful MidiToReaControlPath VST.

Anyway, great that you got up to speed ! (Do you remember that in August I pointed you to -> http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf ? )

Have fun !
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-27-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #91
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
Please kindly advise with sufficient details how I can trigger selection and playback of midi backing track region which has multiple regions using midi controller button. Please help with required scripts and or details

Please let me know how a single midi note can play multiple instruments sounds on a midi backing track How to setup this midi backing track

Thank You All Again
SWS provides Actions to play regions (each backing "track" would be a region, while the tracks are different midi/audio files).

Now you can use a LiveConfigs page ("Config") to fire those actions upon an incoming midi CC event. If your "button" creates other midi events than CC you would need to use a JSFX as converter and use MidiTopReaControlPath to sent the CC to LiveConfigs.

With that Reaper can do stuff some will need to engage Ableton Live.

See -> http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=144207

Reaper Rocks
-Michael
Old 06-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #92
mschnell

Quote:
Support OSC learn (OSC messages with float parameters)
- Example: say you have learned the action "SWS/S&M: Apply Live Config 3 (MIDI CC/OSC only)" with the OSC message "/blabla",
sending "/blabla/f/107" will switch to the instrument/effect #107 of the Live Config #3
This does not seem to work.

(Using OSCIIBot as a sender) I can learn "/blabla" but "/blabla/f/107"does not switch the config-line

I tested learning in LiveConfigs itself and learning the action in the action list.

BTW.: what is meant by the colomn title "comment / OSC message" regarding OSC ?

-Michael
Old 09-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #93
daeavelwyn

Default Issue with CC send

Hi folks,

I'm not sure this is the right topic to discuss this, but I got an issue with Live Config and cannot understand what goes wrong !

So, here is a GIF to a better understanding of my problem :
https://i.imgur.com/XnZfZbb

Easy step to reproduce :
1- Open Reaper and create 4 tracks.
2- Set the MIDI input and all other stuff in TRACK 1 which will be INPUT track
3- Set the 3 others tracks with different instruments/VSTi
4- Set SWS/S&M: Live Config #1 - Apply config (MIDI/OSC only) to CC14
5- As you can see in the GIF (ReacontrolMIDI on track INPUT), CC14 send value 0, then 1 then 2, then 3
But Live Config doesn't change the patch/slot (don't know the right word).

How can I debug this ?

Last edited by daeavelwyn; 09-06-2020 at 04:21 AM.
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:37 PM   #94
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeavelwyn View Post
But Live Config doesn't change the patch/slot (don't know the right word).
I can't view the picture

What kind of event do you create to make the LiveConfig "page" switch to another "line" ?

You might want to take a look at the sicky thtread in this forum and the revised LiveConfig manual at http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf

-Michael
Old 09-06-2020, 04:45 AM   #95
daeavelwyn

Hi mschnell,

Ok so, after hours of fighting with those stuff I found the solution. MIDI Shortcut HAS TO BE SET TO "ABSOLUTE"
It was set to relative by default....

So thanks for your help and for the PDF, this little sentence
Quote:
At the moment, only controllers with absolute MIDI Control Change (CC) messages are supported
and the image of your MIDI shortcut assignation made my day !

now start the funnier part, play music !
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote