Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 12-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #41
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Schwa, you said this above:

"FX entries in the project bay include a “preset” column. If you change the value in this column, all instances of that FX in the project with the previous preset enabled will be changed to the new preset."

How can we 'change' the value of this column? I mean, is this a way to walk through presets? I think I don't understand what the "Change preset" function is supposed to do. For example, if I insert 2 tracks and 1 instance of CMX on each they both will be listed with the default preset (here's where I don't understand what the function is for if I can't really change the preset of the instances with it); ok, now if I open one of the instances and change the preset using the drop-down menu in its floating window (to 'Silky vocal', for example), I see now two entries in the Bay. Again, what's the purpose of "Change preset" here if I right-click on one of the 2 entries? It does nothing, as far as I can tell/see. Now, let's say I "replace" one instance with the other (default for silky vocal or viceversa) I run into a similar problem I reported in one of my reports above: I can't revert this replacement.

I need to think about it, maybe there's a solution for the replacement problem but as far as I can see this function needs new implementation in the Bay (unless I'm missing something).
David you can change the preset within the FX Bay - right or left click (can't remember off hand which) in the Presets column og FX bay for any listed FX.
nicholas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #42
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
David you can change the preset within the FX Bay - right or left click (can't remember off hand which) in the Presets column og FX bay for any listed FX.
Nope, I'm using alpha 5 and no matter how many times I click on 'Change presets' it won't change or show me a list with presets or something.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #43
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
How can we 'change' the value of this column? I mean, is this a way to walk through presets?
Here is what is supposed to happen:

Suppose you have 3 presets for ReaEQ, called "myvox", "smooth", and "bottom". You have set the "smooth" preset as the default.

Insert ReaEQ on track 1 (call it eq1), it gets the "smooth" preset, and an entry appears in the project bay.

Insert ReaEQ on track 2 (call it eq2), it gets the "smooth" preset, and the count in the project bay goes to 2.

In the ReaEQ window for eq1, change the preset to "myvox". Now there are two entries in the project bay, one for "smooth" and one for "myvox".

In the project bay, change the preset for "myvox" to "bottom". The preset for eq1 should change from "myvox" to "bottom".

Stopping there, are you seeing something different?

Once we're past the intended behavior, this unwanted behavior does currently happen: starting where we left off, in the project bay, if you then change the preset for "bottom" to "smooth", both eq1 and eq2 now have the same preset, so they are no longer distinguishable in the project bay. One possible way to handle this problem would be to add a "track" column (we should add that regardless), and a checkbox to group by track (default) or not. If you don't group by track, then eq1 and eq2 will remain separate entries in the project bay even if they have the same preset.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #44
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Here is what is supposed to happen:

Suppose you have 3 presets for ReaEQ, called "myvox", "smooth", and "bottom". You have set the "smooth" preset as the default.

Insert ReaEQ on track 1 (call it eq1), it gets the "smooth" preset, and an entry appears in the project bay.

Insert ReaEQ on track 2 (call it eq2), it gets the "smooth" preset, and the count in the project bay goes to 2.

In the ReaEQ window for eq1, change the preset to "myvox". Now there are two entries in the project bay, one for "smooth" and one for "myvox".

In the project bay, change the preset for "myvox" to "bottom". The preset for eq1 should change from "myvox" to "bottom".

Stopping there, are you seeing something different?
Yes, it's just that I can't see/find a way to change presets from within the Bay:

I've tried to click on that option. I've also tried to r-click everywhere and I don't see a list of all presets available or how to walk through them. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something obvious here.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #45
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Nope, I'm using alpha 5 and no matter how many times I click on 'Change presets' it won't change or show me a list with presets or something.
Sorry - you're right I just checked. But I swear this happened as per Schwa's demo in previous versions.

Schwa, like David this isn't working for me now.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #46
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Sorry - you're right I just checked. But I swear this happened as per Schwa's demo in previous versions.

Schwa, like David this isn't working for me now.
Phew! Thanks for checking Nick, I thought I was missing a button or a spot where to click on. Thank you very much!

[EDIT] Hey! Now I can see schwa's animation (I didn't see it before). No sir, I don't get that drop-down list at all
Old 12-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #47
schwa
Administrator

Only REAPER presets are exposed to the project bay for this purpose. In the FX window, you'll see there is now only one preset dropdown as opposed to the 2 dropdowns in v3. Within the dropdown list, there is first a list of "user presets .rpl", followed by a separator, followed by a list of factory presets (fxp for VST, aupreset for AU).

At the moment, if you have fxp presets you want to expose to the project bay, you need to save them as rpl presets. Does that at least answer the question?

[edit] duh, for VSTs both lists are labeled "user presets" due to a bug, fixing.

Last edited by schwa; 12-05-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #48
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Only REAPER presets are exposed to the project bay for this purpose. In the FX window, you'll see there is now only one preset dropdown as opposed to the 2 dropdowns in v3. Within the dropdown list, there is first a list of "user presets .rpl", followed by a separator, followed by a list of factory presets (fxp for VST, aupreset for AU).

At the moment, if you have fxp presets you want to expose to the project bay, you need to save them as rpl presets. Does that at least answer the question?

[edit] duh, for VSTs both lists are labeled "user presets" due to a bug, fixing.
It sure does! Thanks. But now the problem is REAPER doesn't save .rpl's. I tried to save CMX's presets using "Export preset library (.rpl)" and REAPER didn't create any file.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #49
schwa
Administrator

We'll look at that bug, but it's unrelated. You don't need to export .rpls to use them in the project bay. All you need to do is pick the existing preset you want (or don't pick a preset and just put the knobs where you want), then choose "save preset".
Old 12-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #50
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
We'll look at that bug, but it's unrelated. You don't need to export .rpls to use them in the project bay. All you need to do is pick the existing preset you want (or don't pick a preset and just put the knobs where you want), then choose "save preset".
Well yeah but if I want to have that list with default presets (per plug-in) I have to save them as rpls in the first place, no?

Btw, where should we put those rpl files? REAPER doesn't have a specific folder for them (unless we can save them next to the .ini files in the 'presets' folder).
Old 12-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #51
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Ah that explains then why this works but some others don't:

Old 12-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #52
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Well yeah but if I want to have that list with default presets (per plug-in) I have to save them as rpls in the first place, no?

Btw, where should we put those rpl files? REAPER doesn't have a specific folder for them (unless we can save them next to the .ini files in the 'presets' folder).
You don't need to make rpl files at all ... just as VST plugins store VST patches internally but can export them to .fxp, REAPER stores presets in your .ini files but can export them to .rpl. All you need to do is "save preset."

We could/should add a menu item, or action or something, to automatically duplicate a VST's patch list as REAPER presets.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #53
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
You don't need to make rpl files at all ... just as VST plugins store VST patches internally but can export them to .fxp, REAPER stores presets in your .ini files but can export them to .rpl. All you need to do is "save preset."

We could/should add a menu item, or action or something, to automatically duplicate a VST's patch list as REAPER presets.
Ok, thanks. Maybe you could add that option to the '+' menu in plug-ins. Since REAPER reads those .ini files to display that drop-down list it would be better if that option could create such .ini files directly (we can save rpl files anyways and .ini files are what we really need in this case)
Old 12-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #54
airon
Human being with feelings

===edit===
You two posted while I was writing this :P . I left the post unsubmitted for over an hour.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #55
nicholas
Scribe

Default Still confused about Retain

Hey Schwa,

I'm still confused (Alpha 6) about how retain seems to work with the Project Bay.

At present, Items/FX marked as Retain stay in the Media Bay when the project is closed, and stay there when the next project is open, whether I want them in the Media Bay for that second project or not.

This seems odd to me. When I mark them for Retain I'm intending only to give them Retain status within that project, not necessarily any and all projects I open in the current work session.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #56
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Hey Schwa,

I'm still confused (Alpha 6) about how retain seems to work with the Project Bay.

At present, Items/FX marked as Retain stay in the Media Bay when the project is closed, and stay there when the next project is open, whether I want them in the Media Bay for that second project or not.

This seems odd to me. When I mark them for Retain I'm intending only to give them Retain status within that project, not necessarily any and all projects I open in the current work session.
I agree. Retain should work within that specific project only. If we need to keep such lists then we have 'export' and 'import' options (maybe we could also have a copy/paste function to work faster across projects? I think tabbed projects will see a lot of benefit from this).
Old 12-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #57
airon

It has been suggested that multiple bays/bins be available.

This so far is a project-specific bay/bin only with tabs for media and effects.

Have you guys at Cockos thought about this multiple bay/bin thing ?

People could copy-drag stuff in to other bins for use in other projects. Also, you could import the project bin of another project by selecting the session file as a source. I've outlined a lot of uses over the years that I've put in requests for this functionality.

Does the term "Bay" actually improve on the term "Bin" ? Is it easier to recognize the functionality for what it is by the name "Bay" ? Bin is a place you throw stuff in to. Trash is where you toss things to be deleted, which is an excepted term for that functionality. I'm harping on this, because you've reinvented the language used for this functionality, just as you have for media items. There is made plenty of sense. A region, as Protools calls items, is after all better suited to describe a range marker the way Reaper does it.

I'm not convinced about the term "Bay". Bins is universally understood by the folks who've used this functionality for the past 20 years, and if it sounds like something from a Steinberg product, while adding little in terms of functionality, that's not a great reason to copy its name.

Anyway, I'm concerned whether or not multiple bays/bins are on the agenda today for the v4 release. If not, then a large part of what that request was about will have been ignored.

Last edited by airon; 12-06-2010 at 03:52 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:05 AM   #58
musicbynumbers

I think the idea behind retain was to allow certain much used files to be permanently kept there, perhaps an additional option is called for, so we can "remove", "retain in project" and "retain global".
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #59
musicbynumbers

From the other thread ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I would love to see the ability to see RPP project files in there as well for two reasons.

1-so if we click on one it highlights any items used by this rpp, if this worked for multiple selected rpp this would mean the ability to see what is not used in any of the projects and delete them (at the Moment I have to use media sweeper for multiple project checking)

2- if you could retain these rpp files then you could use them for drag and drop into the arrange page for fully inclusive item/track templates (aka "track templates that include the media an automation")
This allow you to have a collection of easy to get to "beats" (for example) that are made of multiple items and tracks with fx and automation that unlike normal audio can be edited much better

(If when dropping these in they could also be self contained PIPs then even better!
Plus to take the player/auditioner from the media explorer and put it at the bottom of the media bay would be awesome too
Old 12-06-2010, 06:43 AM   #60
musicbynumbers

Quote:
I agree. Retain should work within that specific project only. If we need to keep such lists then we have 'export' and 'import' options (maybe we could also have a copy/paste function to work faster across projects? I think tabbed projects will see a lot of benefit from this).
Just noticed there's a right click option to "preserve bay when changing projects" too, that could come in handy.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #61
musicbynumbers

The remove function doesn't update straight away and there seems to be no undo for it.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #62
musicbynumbers

Default Can we use the solo function from the arrange page for selected item?

if not then we should be able to at some point!

that would be very cool!

solo item in place kind of thing.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP WE CAN!!

but.. only if the project bay is visible/open too.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #63
musicbynumbers

Default tick box for auto updating/reflecting selection in both bay and arrange

at the moment we have to use the buttons but if there was a small tick box next to it for auto update selection that would be very cool.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 AM   #64
griz lee

Default One click play, one click remove.

Really simple, but vital request to how i'd use a media bay:

- Simple one click / key Playback

- Simple one click / key Delete from list

This would benefit composers, arrangers, and fx people SO much. You know, just the sort of thing the media should be good for. The 'remove' function doesnt work for me either first time, as noted above.

Thank you for your consideration.
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #65
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
There is a project bay option (in the context menu that comes up when you right-click outside the media/FX list) to preserve the bay when changing projects. Retained items should only carry over from project to project if that option is on -- if that's not how it's working, it's a bug.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #66
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
The remove function doesn't update straight away and there seems to be no undo for it.
Fixing, thanks.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #67
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
There is a project bay option (in the context menu that comes up when you right-click outside the media/FX list) to preserve the bay when changing projects. Retained items should only carry over from project to project if that option is on -- if that's not how it's working, it's a bug.
Doh! I had that checked, thanks. It seems to work OK now.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #68
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yep! Also, when right-clicking a plugin entry in the FX bin (not bay!), we should have an option to Replace selected FX...
Totally!! That would be a great feature!

but I'm still waiting for an FX BIN per track (like SONAR, others) - I still wonder why that hasn't been an option yet. At least the option to show/hide FX BIN. I'm used to seeing something like that. We'll see!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #69
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
when right-clicking a plugin entry in the FX bin (not bay!), we should have an option to Replace selected FX...
There is.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #70
lowellben

Quote:
There is.
How'd I miss that?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #71
EvilDragon

Not in the project/FX bay, schwa, but here:

[IMG]http://img716.**************/img716/9489/fxbin.png[/IMG]

I don't see "Replace FX..." here... This should be fairly easy to add? Right below Copy, Cut and Paste there should be Replace, which would open the FX browser again, and simply replace the selected plugin with the one that was picked...

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=1328
http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=736
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #72
schwa
Administrator

Ah sorry, I misinterpreted your bin/bay comment as wanting the project bay to be renamed, not as distinguishing between those windows.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #73
EvilDragon

Perhaps I could've worded it more accurately in the first place. ^^;
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #74
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Doh! I had that checked, thanks. It seems to work OK now.
Next time, read the manual!
Old 12-06-2010, 01:20 PM   #75
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Hadn't seen that, thanks, me very happy now!
Old 12-07-2010, 02:12 AM   #76
IXix

I'm liking the bay. Three things I'd like to see added to it:

1. Insert into project : Place the selected media at the edit cursor on the selected track(s)

2. Media sections : Drag/drop a selection from the media explorer onto the bay and have that section available as a separate entity, as if it were another file.

3. Choose double-click action : So we can decide whether double clicking a file reference will select/edit/preview it. Perhaps this could be added to the mouse modifiers section?
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:43 AM   #77
griz lee

Default Wierd gui behaviour when docked // play.

Thanks for adding the play media on spacebar function. That's an important thing to have in a bay.

I don't want to be the party pooper but if you're in a docked view of the bay, you get a really wierd experience as the tab changes to media explorer and leaves you there, not back in the bay.

Any chance of directly integrating the play back part of media explorer in the bay itself, to avoid the wierd window changing behaviour?

Thanks guys.
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:30 AM   #78
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz lee View Post
Thanks for adding the play media on spacebar function. That's an important thing to have in a bay.

I don't want to be the party pooper but if you're in a docked view of the bay, you get a really wierd experience as the tab changes to media explorer and leaves you there, not back in the bay.

Any chance of directly integrating the play back part of media explorer in the bay itself, to avoid the wierd window changing behaviour?

Thanks guys.
That really would be more useful even have it as a right click option perhaps?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #79
Xenakios

Quote:
Are there plans to make the Project bay support the Reaper Media Items, not just references to whole disk files? (By media item I mean the whole deal that is the media item on the Reaper tracks : the source media trimmed in media offset/length, volume/pan/takefx properties etc)
I know it's lame to repeatedly ask for stuff, but I have to...I have been asking for this thing since 2007, so I am really hoping this would finally be possible...The implementation would not need to be super fancy.

-To get the media items to the bay, it'd be perfectly fine if I had to select media items on the tracks and use an action for "send to media bay" or some such.
-Ability to drag and drop the media items later from the bay to Reaper's tracks.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #80
schwa
Administrator

I imagine you would want the media items to optionally persist in the bay even after being removed from the project? Because that is significantly more state to manage, compared to references to media on disk.