Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 12-30-2018, 03:24 AM   #1
Dannii
Human being with feelings

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)
Default Finally Joined the REAPER Linux Club!!

A couple of weeks ago, I read a post on another part of the interwebs about Deepin. It got a big thumbs up for ease of installation and use so I decided to download the distro and test it out on my security camera laptop.

I had also found a very nice security camera NVR program called Xeoma which is compatible with OSX, Windows and Linux and is streets ahead of what I had been using, so I decided to give it a shot and compare it on the same laptop with both Win7 and Deepin.

This laptop is also my bedroom media player and I've been running REAPER on it with a project that has a number of environment sounds looped at different lengths as a sleep aid to mask out outside noises and help me sleep uninterrupted.

Well, the first thing was to install Deepin as a dual boot setup with my currently working Win7 install. I resized the existing partitions and created a new one for Deepin and ran the installer. Upon completion, I was greeted with a boot menu and let it boot into Deepin. Much to my delight, I didn't have to download anything to get things running. Every piece of hardware worked on this laptop right from the start which was a very welcome surprise!
The only thing missing was a display calibration utility and the display on this laptop has a blue bias which I was able to effectively fix with the Win7 calibration tools.
I discovered Redshift for Linux and installed it. I then disabled its dynamic adjustments and set it up with a manual gamma and level profile which works well and produced a nice, balanced colour profile on this laptop. Very nice!

I then installed and configured the Xeoma NVR software on both Deepin and Win7 and it worked flawlessly with my existing camera system on both OS's.
In a comparison between Win7 and Deepin, it runs significantly smoother and slightly lower in CPU use under Deepin which I am happy about.

Next up was to add a portable install of REAPER to Deepin and that was simple with no issues. I then plugged in my portable USB DAC and Deepin and REAPER both recognized it without fuss. I'm running REAPER and the DAC under the ALSA drivers and it is rock solid.
Another bonus of this configuration is that the Xeoma software uses the internal laptop speakers for its alarm sounds while REAPER runs through the DAC at the same time. I can use the mute and volume keys on the keyboard to mute the camera alarm sounds at night while REAPER continues unmuted through the DAC regardless of the mute settings from the keyboard. Perfect!

This system has now been running 24/7 for a couple of weeks with no problems at all. It is also running as a Xeoma server so I can monitor the security camera setup via the Xeoma client on my phone or any other computer running the client and connected to my network. It is very smooth and trouble free so far.

My REAPER theme works perfectly on this Linux install. The only thing I still need to do to make it look 100 percent is install some missing fonts. That is a minor detail that I might not even bother with.

In summary, I'm very impressed with how smooth the Deepin installation and usage has been here.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:34 AM   #2
nusushika

Wow! Good post.

REAPER runs on my Ubuntu gig as smoothly as your laptop does~~

And about the fonts, I'm having some hard time to adjust the font size of menu as well as context menu. They are too small to see clearly on my screen.

Any suggestion?
nusushika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Glennbo

Welcome to the club Dave! You'll find you will also be able to get many/most of your Windows plugins to work too if you want to be able to use them in REAPER for Linux. Not nearly the big performance hit you would expect either. I can play Superior Drummer 2 from my V-Drums and it feels fine, even though it is going through another layer of software and being run in WINE.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:34 AM   #4
JamesPeters

To edit font types/sizes and other aspects (which you can't adjust in Windows/OSX versions), copy the libswell.colortheme file from the install directory to the "resource path". (From Reaper's menu: options->show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder) Then you can edit that file. Lines 1, 2 and 4 are what you need to edit for font type/size.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #5
nusushika

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
To edit font types/sizes and other aspects (which you can't adjust in Windows/OSX versions), copy the libswell.colortheme file from the install directory to the "resource path". (From Reaper's menu: options->show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder) Then you can edit that file. Lines 1, 2 and 4 are what you need to edit for font type/size.
That's so cool!!!

Thanks very much, James.
nusushika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
Jack Winter

You can even theme dialog boxes and other GUI elements! No more eye cancer as it's been called in the past
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:47 PM   #7
s wave

Xlent post - Would you be able to change the color of a dialog box or color shading for the replay or fast forward button? Is there a sticky for this stuff? thx
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:22 AM   #8
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Thanks for the hints and tips guys. I'll have a play around.
This REAPER/Linux install isn't my main studio rig. It's just my bedroom sound system install which runs on the same laptop as my security camera system.
It has been running 24/7 now for a few weeks (REAPER runs continuously as well) and not a single issue so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Xlent post - Would you be able to change the color of a dialog box or color shading for the replay or fast forward button? Is there a sticky for this stuff? thx
Not only is there a sticky for this information, there is an entire section of the forum dedicated to themes.
Have a look at the stickies here....

https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26
Old 01-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #9
s wave

That will do thanks.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:02 AM   #10
acebone

Regarding font/menu sizes:

Another option is to edit the file "reaper.ini"

Under the first section called [.swell] there's an option called "ui_scale"

I've set mine like this:

ui_scale=1.5 // scales the sizes in libSwell.colortheme
acebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #11
87echo

Hey ReaDave,

I thought I would follow up on your comment about using sounds to aid in uninterrupted sleep. I also use Reaper on my laptop computer and just listen to pink noise as a background. This is mostly for my wife, who is used to a sound machine to block out unexpected noise.

While I'm at it, I think I'll go one further and mention that I use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. Many people have this disease and don't even know it. Apparently, it's common for their partner to complain about the excessive snoring/ waking up to breathe, etc. I am posting this because the machine is truly life changing for anyone who needs it. If you or someone you know has apnea, do a sleep study. It can make your life better in ways you wouldn't believe.
87echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #12
s wave

try Modicia OS Ultimate (can't even comment on how good and how fast it is) Everything is preconfig Samba Server/Wine/kdenlive/ almost all of Audio and Visual you need. (xfce de 1804 core) Install Reaper native linux and Windowss Reaper... and run them side by side. Make sure you change audio device to PULSE on both versions. You can switch between platforms fast. Run your old Win VSTs or old PC programs - one 1 HD/OS/Screen on one PC all while working on Reaper Linux.