Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 02-18-2019, 06:38 AM   #1
Tobbe
Human being with feelings

Default [SOLVED] Variety Of Sounds Plugin Suite won't work

Why didn't I do this before I posted?

Solution
Removed wine-rt and installed wine-staging v4.02. Everything is ok again.

Hi,

I have this installed before with LinVST but now for some reason it won't show it's GUI in Reaper. I get this in terminal.

Code:
0009:err:winediag:SQLDrivers No ODBC drivers could be found. Check the settings for your libodbc provider.
0009:fixme:font:get_outline_text_metrics failed to read full_nameW for font L"Ani"!
0009:err:wincodecs:PngDecoder_CreateInstance Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0
0009:err:wincodecs:PngDecoder_CreateInstance Failed reading PNG because unable to find libpng12.so.0
0009:fixme:font:get_nearest_charset TCI failing on 20000000
0009:fixme:font:get_nearest_charset returning DEFAULT_CHARSET face->fs.fsCsb[0] = 20000000 file = L"/usr/share/fonts/truetype/fonts-gujr-extra/aakar-medium.ttf"
0009:fixme:font:get_outline_text_metrics failed to read full_nameW for font L"Ani"!
ALSA lib conf.c:3523:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so
ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:254:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
0009:fixme:gdiplus:GdipWidenPath unimplemented pen alignment 1
and I have libpng already installed: libpng12-0 is already the newest version (1.2.54-1ubuntu1.1)

Wine version: wine-3.0.2 (KXStudio's version wine-rt).

Last edited by Tobbe; 02-18-2019 at 07:01 AM. Reason: SOLVED it myself
Tobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
Glennbo

Glad we could help you get it sorted out.

Off the topic a moment, I notice in your sig that you are using a Behringer UMC22. What is the reported latency at the top right in REAPER with that interface?

I keep looking at the UMC404 and UMC1820 which I'm guessing use essentially the same base components, but I've yet to find anybody saying what kind of latency they are getting with it in Linux using the USB class compliant drivers.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #3
Tobbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Glad we could help you get it sorted out.

Off the topic a moment, I notice in your sig that you are using a Behringer UMC22. What is the reported latency at the top right in REAPER with that interface?

I keep looking at the UMC404 and UMC1820 which I'm guessing use essentially the same base components, but I've yet to find anybody saying what kind of latency they are getting with it in Linux using the USB class compliant drivers.
If I remember correct I have it configured like this in Cadence:

Which gives me 16ms latency. My computer isnt the fastest och top notch. Lenovo All-In-One 23" with 8GB ram and 256GB ssd.

I have tried alot of tweaking lately and I think I done all I can.

I get back when I'm at computer next time so I can give you the right settings.

Rock On!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
Glennbo

Thanks for replying. My gut feeling is you should be able to get below 10ms, but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I really want one of those four or eight channel Behringer interfaces, but they would need to be down in the single digits for the way I work.

Have you done any tweaks to things like IRQ priority for the USB port your Behringer is connected to? I'm not sure how you go about doing it, since I have PCI cards that are connected directly to my mobo.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:20 AM   #5
Tobbe

I done all this: http://subversion.ffado.org/wiki/IrqPriorities

and realTimeQuickScan to get information about recomended settings.

Here is realTimeQuickScan results
Code:
tobbe@homestudio:~/realtimeconfigquickscan$ perl ./realTimeConfigQuickScan.pl
== GUI-enabled checks ==
Checking if you are root... no - good
Checking filesystem 'noatime' parameter... 4.9.0 kernel - good
(relatime is default since 2.6.30)
Checking CPU Governors... CPU 0: 'performance' CPU 1: 'performance' CPU 2: 'performance' CPU 3: 'performance'  - good
Checking swappiness... 10 - good
Checking for resource-intensive background processes... none found - good
Checking checking sysctl inotify max_user_watches... >= 524288 - good
Checking access to the high precision event timer... readable - good
Checking access to the real-time clock... readable - good
Checking whether you're in the 'audio' group... yes - good
Checking for multiple 'audio' groups... no - good
Checking the ability to prioritize processes with chrt... yes - good
Checking kernel support for high resolution timers... found - good
Kernel with Real-Time Preemption... found - good
Checking if kernel system timer is high-resolution... found - good
Checking kernel support for tickless timer... found - good
Rock On!

Last edited by Tobbe; 02-19-2019 at 03:11 AM.
Tobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
Sangeppato

Quote:
Thanks for replying. My gut feeling is you should be able to get below 10ms, but maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. I really want one of those four or eight channel Behringer interfaces, but they would need to be down in the single digits for the way I work.

Have you done any tweaks to things like IRQ priority for the USB port your Behringer is connected to? I'm not sure how you go about doing it, since I have PCI cards that are connected directly to my mobo.
Hey, I've got a Behringer UMC204HD, just recently purchased.
On my laptop (Arch Linux, i7-6500u dual-core) I can set Jack/Alsa to 128/3 at 48khz with some VSTs (Lepou amp sims through LinVst, IR loader, reverb, delay, compressor, reaEQ) without getting Xruns (I'll get them going down to 64).
On my desktop (Ubuntu 18.10, i5-3570k quad core) I can go down to 64/3 48khz with the same VSTs without xruns.
On the laptop the reported latency is 2.6/5.3 ms, on the desktop it's 1.3/2.6 ms.
I hope this helped, feel free to ask if you want!
Sangeppato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangeppato View Post
Hey, I've got a Behringer UMC204HD, just recently purchased.
On my laptop (Arch Linux, i7-6500u dual-core) I can set Jack/Alsa to 128/3 at 48khz with some VSTs (Lepou amp sims through LinVst, IR loader, reverb, delay, compressor, reaEQ) without getting Xruns (I'll get them going down to 64).
On my desktop (Ubuntu 18.10, i5-3570k quad core) I can go down to 64/3 48khz with the same VSTs without xruns.
On the laptop the reported latency is 2.6/5.3 ms, on the desktop it's 1.3/2.6 ms.
I hope this helped, feel free to ask if you want!
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

I could totally live with 2.6/5.3ms. I frequently run my M-Audio PCI cards at 128/2 and I'm getting 2.9/5.8ms like that. I can run 64/2 but if I start adding virtual Windows instruments I have to bump the latency.

I've got a Raspberry Pi setup with REAPER and most of the OverTone DSP plugins, and have been looking at the UMC204HD to use with it, but for my desktop Linux box I've been looking a lot at the UMC1820.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #8
Sangeppato

Quote:
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

I could totally live with 2.6/5.3ms. I frequently run my M-Audio PCI cards at 128/2 and I'm getting 2.9/5.8ms like that. I can run 64/2 but if I start adding virtual Windows instruments I have to bump the latency.

I've got a Raspberry Pi setup with REAPER and most of the OverTone DSP plugins, and have been looking at the UMC204HD to use with it, but for my desktop Linux box I've been looking a lot at the UMC1820.
Behringer today produces quite solid audio interfaces for very fair prices, I think you will be happy!
Sangeppato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangeppato View Post
Behringer today produces quite solid audio interfaces for very fair prices, I think you will be happy!
I'm on the second of two mixers from them. The first one didn't die, but was in a slope top rack and I wanted a smaller one that would fit in the racks of my mixing desk so I sold it. I did also have one of their super cheap UCA202 interfaces that I used to use with Windows on a netbook running REAPER. It was solid and low latency too.