Old 06-14-2007, 03:39 AM   #1
cerendir
Human being with feelings

Default "Invisible" plugins? (solved!)

I've been moving a few Cubase project over to REAPER to play around a bit, and when I was hooking up the channels to the correct VSTi's I realised that some stuff does not show up in REAPER. So far it's the Velonotes2cc midi plugin and the Crazy Diamonds synth. The latter being kind of weird as someone here on the forum reported that it should work. It might be more stuff missing too, I have a ton of plugs so I can't really tell at a glance if something's not there. So... why does this happen? Does REAPER somehow filter out certain plugins it doesn't like/can't access properly? That midi plugin is really no big deal but CD happens to be one of my fave synths for retro pads, so I would really like to get it running

And oh, just to clarify: at first I just pointed REAPER to Cubase's Vstplugins dir, but I soon got sick of dismissing "This plugin only works in Cubase" error messages and copied everything to REAPER's own plugins folder and deleted the Steinberg stuff from it. So I get no errors anymore, and the dll files in question *are* there. REAPER just doesn't see them.

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere already, but my searches didn't turn up anything useful.

Last edited by cerendir; 06-15-2007 at 02:26 AM.
cerendir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
tspring

I have indeed run into a couple of soft synths that Reaper simply would not recognize and list. I could see the name of the .dll flicker across the screen during the scan of the directory containing the VSTi, and Reaper would pause as if loading or verifying something, but the VSTi would not appear in the effect/VSTi list. I assumed that the VSTi did not meet some compatibility test, and Reaper just dropped it.

Also, check to make sure that the VSTi's aren't listed using a name different name from what you expect. I believe that sometimes Reaper grabs naming information *somewhere* and uses that instead of or along with the name that is displayed by other software.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
cerendir

Well I've gone through the list of VSTi's very thoroughly now and no, Crazy Diamonds just won't show. So that rules out the different name explanation, but thanks for the suggestion.

Ah well, I'll try StringSynth instead for the time being. CD isn't irreplaceable, I just have a few good custom patches for it that I use a lot.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:26 AM   #4
cerendir

OK, I've solved it (or found the plugs, more correctly).

I don't know where REAPER gets the plugin names, but for some reason Crazy Diamonds was called FLP3 and the Velonotes2cc plugin was called Piranha-NV2CC. I found this out by simply loading, one by one, all plugins whose names I didn't immediately recognize.

So... move along. Nothing here to see.