Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 09-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
Thonex
Human being with feelings

Default Pre-Release Request: Pre-Record during Count-Off (NOT during Pre-Roll)

Hi Justin and co,

Hoping this is an easy one

One critical feature missing from Reaper for anyone doing orchestral (or any recordings where there are tempo changes) is the ability to pre-record during the Count-Off (NOT to be confused with Pre-Roll).

Currently, there is no way to record during the Count-Off to capture players who may come in early… or who may be playing a lead-in note or an anticipation. In reaper, you would have to have pre-roll engaged. The problem with pre-roll is if there is a different tempo in the previous measure, all the players will coming at the wrong tempo on the downbeat of the punch-in measure.

Nuendo/Cubase have a simple record buffer in seconds and using it in conjunction with a count-in solves all these issues.

Having done this for 20+ years… it’s clear to me this count-off pre-record amount should be in seconds or ms, NOT tempo based. The benefits are that each recording will have the same amount of pre-record no matter what meter or tempo and makes comping and editing in other DAWs as well as Reaper MUCH easier since all the recordings have the exact same amount of pre-record.

I would also assume it’s easier to implement (coding-wise) if the pre-record buffer is always the same (fixed) time-based amount (not tempo or meter dependent).

Hoping this is possible and easy to implement!

Thanks for an already great DAW!

Last edited by Thonex; 09-22-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
_Stevie_

Very well explained Andrew! Yep, big +1 from me!
Old 09-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
EvilDragon

This is just a regular feature request, Andrew, nothing particularly related to current prereleases. So it should be in the proper subforum
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
This is just a regular feature request, Andrew, nothing particularly related to current prereleases. So it should be in the proper subforum
Oh, sorry about that. Although, it pertains to this release as in "I need it now."

On a serious note, Mods, feel free to move it appropriately.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
_Stevie_

Haha
Old 10-20-2018, 06:15 AM   #6
daxliniere

Yeah, constant pre- and post-record for armed tracks has been long requested. Samplitude allows that. It's a god-send. You can set how many seconds on either side.

(As a complete aside, you can edit during record mode in Samplitude. Those are the only 2 things I miss from Samp.)
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:57 PM   #7
Thonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Yeah, constant pre- and post-record for armed tracks has been long requested. Samplitude allows that. It's a god-send. You can set how many seconds on either side.

(As a complete aside, you can edit during record mode in Samplitude. Those are the only 2 things I miss from Samp.)
The pre record buffer time has been in Cubase/Nuendo forever... It really makes recording sessions WAY less button-pushy... and you don't have to worry about players coming in early.. since the buffer (I have mine set to 2 seconds) will catch it.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #8
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
and you don't have to worry about players coming in early.. since the buffer (I have mine set to 2 seconds) will catch it.
Exactly.
Or in those times where the musician randomly does something amazing. As long as you hit the record button within a few seconds, you'll have caught it.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
_Stevie_

bump!
Old 02-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
Coachz

Yeah get in line buddy. I still want pre-roll on looping. I want to add post-roll to that too by the way. Let me set a Loop and tell it to record over that time selection and pre Roll x number of measures and post Roll x number of measures every Loop

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #11
ashcat_lt

@Coachz - Set your loop points where you actually want it to loop. Adjust the splits when you're done. It takes like a second and a half.

Honestly, that's my answer for most of these things. If you're really actually trying to start recording right on beat one, you deserve what you get. If you miss a pickup or anticipation or even a fade out/reverb tail, it's completely your fault for not just recording a couple measures longer. Somebody (CLA?) was talking in an interview I watched recently about the thrill of punching in on tape. It was fun, and gave a real sense of accomplishment when you really nailed it, but I don't miss it in the least.

I've been recording to DAW for almost 25 years now and I have always always always started my projects out around measure 5. Don't need count in or preroll or anything.

Edit to add - I mean, it won't hurt me at all if you get this feature, I just feel like people go out of their way to make these things difficult.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #12
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
@Coachz - Set your loop points where you actually want it to loop. Adjust the splits when you're done. It takes like a second and a half.

Honestly, that's my answer for most of these things. If you're really actually trying to start recording right on beat one, you deserve what you get. If you miss a pickup or anticipation or even a fade out/reverb tail, it's completely your fault for not just recording a couple measures longer. Somebody (CLA?) was talking in an interview I watched recently about the thrill of punching in on tape. It was fun, and gave a real sense of accomplishment when you really nailed it, but I don't miss it in the least.

I've been recording to DAW for almost 25 years now and I have always always always started my projects out around measure 5. Don't need count in or preroll or anything.

Edit to add - I mean, it won't hurt me at all if you get this feature, I just feel like people go out of their way to make these things difficult.
I already do that but having a pre-roll and post roll already set would mean I'd only have to drag out of time selection and nada bik badda boom it'll be ready for looping

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote