Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
maddnotez
Human being with feelings

Default Is monitoring and recording without headphones possible?

If so please explain how to do this.

Im trying to record without headphones. I want to be able to hear everything from my monitors and record without latency for video purposes.

I can run Direct Sound and do this but the latency is horrible.

Not sure how to use ASIO without the headphones.
maddnotez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddnotez View Post
Im trying to record without headphones. I want to be able to hear everything from my monitors and record without latency for video purposes.

Are your headphones and monitors connected to the same interface?

What interface are you using?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
maddnotez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Are your headphones and monitors connected to the same interface?

What interface are you using?
Well I didn't consider that lol.

Headphones to tc impact twin.

Monitors are actually my computer speakers.

I suppose I will need real monitors to interface?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
serr

Quote:
If so please explain how to do this.

You are asking about 3 different things here:

1. Im trying to record without headphones. I want to be able to hear everything from my monitors.

2. Im trying to record without latency

3. I can run Direct Sound and do this but the latency is horrible. Not sure how to use ASIO

1. You can certainly record "live" in front of your monitor speakers. It will be like working with a live recording in that you will hear bleed from the live monitors recorded with your vocal. Not a show stopper at all. Many fine sounding live albums are produced this way and some major recording artists do this in the studio as well (Bono for one.)

2. Go to Reaper's Preferences/Audio/Device. This is where you select your audio interface (or aggregate of multiple interfaces) and where you set your system latency.

Check the box and set 'Request block size' to 64 or 128 to start. If you get distortion or clicks and pops, increase this value by 32 sample increments.

This is the deal. Smaller buffer size gets you closer to zero latency. (Anything 11ms or less for the total latency is imperceptible 'real-time'.) If your computer/system struggles, you increase to compensate but at the expense of latency.

So do your overdubs at low latency and then increase the buffer if needed when you start loading up on plugins and so on to mix.

3. Sounds like you are using Windows here. I'm Mac only so I can't help with the details but I believe the place to start is by downloading ASIO4ALL to replace the stock version of ASIO. I'll let a Windows user take over here.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
maddnotez

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You are asking about 3 different things here:

1. Im trying to record without headphones. I want to be able to hear everything from my monitors.

2. Im trying to record without latency

3. I can run Direct Sound and do this but the latency is horrible. Not sure how to use ASIO

1. You can certainly record "live" in front of your monitor speakers. It will be like working with a live recording in that you will hear bleed from the live monitors recorded with your vocal. Not a show stopper at all. Many fine sounding live albums are produced this way and some major recording artists do this in the studio as well (Bono for one.)

2. Go to Reaper's Preferences/Audio/Device. This is where you select your audio interface (or aggregate of multiple interfaces) and where you set your system latency.

Check the box and set 'Request block size' to 64 or 128 to start. If you get distortion or clicks and pops, increase this value by 32 sample increments.

This is the deal. Smaller buffer size gets you closer to zero latency. (Anything 11ms or less for the total latency is imperceptible 'real-time'.) If your computer/system struggles, you increase to compensate but at the expense of latency.

So do your overdubs at low latency and then increase the buffer if needed when you start loading up on plugins and so on to mix.

3. Sounds like you are using Windows here. I'm Mac only so I can't help with the details but I believe the place to start is by downloading ASIO4ALL to replace the stock version of ASIO. I'll let a Windows user take over here.

Thanks for the reply but I may not have worded it the best way.

I'm only asking one thing.

How can I record and monitor through the monitors and not headphones?

I added a note that I can achieve this through direct sound but the latency is bad.

My drivers are fine. Just want to record this way through asio and not direct sound.

I think Tod was on the right track. I probably just need real monitors and run them out from interface.

Until I can buy monitors does anyone know a way to do this with computer speakers only?

Last edited by maddnotez; 08-28-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
JHA

Quote:
Thanks for the reply but I may not have worded it the best way.

I'm only asking one thing.

How can I record and monitor through the monitors and not headphones?

I added a note that I can achieve this through direct sound but the latency is bad.

My drivers are fine. Just want to record this way through asio and not direct sound.

I think Tod was on the right track. I probably just need real monitors and run them out from interface.

Until I can buy monitors does anyone know a way to do this with computer speakers only?
Connect the speakers to the same connector you had your headphones connected. You will probably need 3.5mm to 6.3mm stereo adapter.

Edit: TC Impact Twin has four line/monitor outputs for this purpose:

You just need suitable adapter to connect your PC speakers. 1/4" / 6.3mm Phone Jacks.

Last edited by JHA; 08-28-2013 at 10:04 AM.
JHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
maddnotez

Ty kindly.

No brainer. I feel silly
Old 08-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
JHA

Probably a cable like this if your speakers have a mini stereo jack:

JHA is offline   Reply With Quote