Old 08-21-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
howardmarks
Human being with feelings

Default latency on effects only

Alrite? ive just had an upgrade and since getting it back ive discovered that when i click the effects on there is now a bit of latency that makes it impossible to record using any plugins.. Ive never had this problem before, I basically inserted a new track, armed record and then right clicked on the record arm button and selcted monitor input. Then i would click the effects and selected a plugin and i would hear through my headphones exacly in time to when i strummed my guitar or bass.. my interface is a roland duo capture and has zero latency direct monitoring so im not quite sure why its doing this.. As soon as i switched the effects off , the latency goes and its in time again... Ive notived that on the effects on/off switch there is a now a little box with a few options for input and output etc and that wasnt there before . Theres on/off monitor and ive switched that on but the latencys there still.. any ideas any1? cheers
howardmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
V'ger
Human being with feelings

Some plugins have more latency than others, which are you using?

And sound cards will always have a little bit too. The direct monitoring is for the card only (ins and outs), here we're talking about ASIO driver (I assume you are using) and then there will be some latency, but normally 10-20 ms is anyway acceptable and will feel as if there were no latency, especially for effects.

So in summary:

1. Use only effects that don't have high latency. The different plugins latency values can be seen in Reaper's performance meter (ctrl-alt-P) under the PDC column there (Plugin Latency Compensation).

and

2. set your sound card's ASIO to as low latency as possible (without the sound starting to crackle etc)
V'ger is offline   Reply With Quote