Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-09-2006, 05:32 PM   #1
manning1
Human being with feelings

Default discussion. rprs own plug ins versus others...cpu etc.

for me i dont find myself needing any plug ins other than the jesusonic/stilwell ones that come with reaper.
this gives me way enough things to try without complicating things with even more choices and adding lots of 3rd party vst plug ins. in summary i like to keep it simple....what are others feelings on this ??...reason being with too many plug in choices ones brain starts hurting ....lol.
in addition....do you find that the built in plug ins in rpr are less resource intensive than 3rd party vst's for example ??
what are your feelings on this ??
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

I confess to being a collector of freeware FX almost for the sake of it - though I don't bother with anything that actually distorts the audio, as that isn't usable in classical music.

I tend to settle on a small range of FX that I get to know how to get the best from, changing from time to time as a new current favourite emerges.

But it's all pretty subjective and not very scientific.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
ahoova

Reaper's built in effects are cool. I do tend to get "inspired" by the way certain plugins look and feel too, so I mix it up a bit. I know its psychological, but I am a visual person so I often stick to eq's and compressors that "show" me what I'm doing. For that reason, I use some other vst plugins that I've grown accustomed to.
ahoova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:21 PM   #4
Stringer

Last time I looked, Reaper had a delay but not a reverb. Is that still the case?

John
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
Art Evans
Mortal

There's the convolution reverb now.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:03 AM   #6
olzzon

I use ReaComp and ReaGate all the time. They works great, and i like their flexibility.

For Eq i use the AirEq, this is the one for me, i love it.
Itīs not that i think the Eqin reaper are bad, they are just as fine as most. But i think AirEq is just better.
This is my oppinion ofcause.

ReaVerb is cool too, but i mainly use my TC Powercore for reverb. Not much into convolutionverbs. Again thatīs just a matter of taste.

All the JS fxs are great for helpers, and when you need something special, itīs really cool to have a hole package of FXīs included. Many of the plugs iīd probably never buy because iīd only use them once a year, so itīs really cool to have them here.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:18 AM   #7
griz lee

Reaper's internal fx and JS have the sound quality! It's noticably better than my powercore on EQ and compression. (I'd agree about the reverb with olzzon, i like a good algorithmic 'verb).

Reacomp is one of the very best digital comps out there. Notice how it doesn't screw up your audio going through it when nothing's happening. How many comps can you say that of? Plus, with the pre-attack and rms windows controls you can get extremely smooth compression should you need it or very wild pumping. Great control, without silly limitations.

Major Tom (in JS) is probably the best dbx (in forward mode) or teletronix la2-a (in feedback) that you'll get in digital. I don't have a dbx, but i do have an la2 and scott's version has all the behaviour and yet a better, more resolved sound (probably due to me not having to go analog).

The whole JS thing sounds fantastic, and i'm really getting to like the fact the interface doesn't pander to my visual desire to see say, a realistic looking fairchild 660 on screen. Instead, it just sounds that way if i load up the ss-670!

All i really miss is a nice gain reduction meter in JS. Then i'd be extactic.
griz lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #8
manning1

nice comments.
ahoova...like you i'm a visual person...
maybe a "bunny" plug in is needed for us types ?? lol.

olzzon...that air eq...does it use more resources than reapers own built in ones ??
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #9
olzzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning1 View Post

olzzon...that air eq...does it use more resources than reapers own built in ones ??
Havenīt really tested. I have a Core2 E6700, and thereīs so much power in it, so i hardly ever think about it anymore.
But it doesnīt seems to use much cpu. You can allways download a demo at Eliosound.com i you want to check.
But i do think the Reaper Eqīs are good too, i just fell in love with this one.(AirEq that is)
Old 11-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #10
LOSER

My take on this is: having some 1200+ free VSTs (1200 minus some help files that come with the VSTs) but only using ReaFir and selfmade JS plug-ins
(And on some rare occasions ReaVerb)

P.S. I'm a collector like Art

Last edited by LOSER; 11-10-2006 at 05:01 PM.
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote