Old 08-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
kenTheriot
Human being with feelings

Default Compliance With Amazon ACX?

I couldn't find this in a Forum search. But is there a recommended method for recording/editing spoken work audio so that it meets the Amazon ACX requirements? They require that audio complyh with these standards:

Peak Level: -3dB max
RMS: less than -23dB min (needs to be between -18dB -23 dB)
noise floor is -60 dB

The noise floor is easy enough - just use ReaFIR to reduce background noise. The challenge is to balance the average volume with the maximum peak level. Often I find myself editing such that the peak volume is lower than -3dB, only to find that the average volume is now too low. When I adjust (usually by some sort of compression) for average volume, I might then get a peak over -3dB and it becomes this "push-me/pull-you" kind of see-saw back and forth until you pass their "ACX Check."

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 08-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
poetnprophet

That's a strange requirement, -3db peak? Weird.

Are you not using a limiter to keep yourself under that value...and help tame some dynamics a little more?
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
kenTheriot

I can wrangle things into shape OK with normalization, compression/limiting. What I'm really after is how best to use Reaper tools to do this. For example, you can analyze your track with SWS: Analyze and display item peak and RMS (entire item) so you know what needs adjusting. I need to play with it, but there is also a tool that can adjust your audio to a target average value, which is AWESOME - if it works like it sounds like it does - SWS: Set RMS analysis/normalize options. So theoretically, I could apply that last action to get the average volume in the target zone, and then like you say, use a limiter on the master track keep the top peak below -3.

Will test tomorrow and report what I find as to how well this can be done in Reaper.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
Rednroll

Given those requirements, I would just use Sound Forge and reach for the RMS and/or Peak Normalization functions. It just seems like the right tool for the job but I'm sure it can be done in Reaper as well with enough effort.
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenTheriot View Post
Will test tomorrow and report what I find as to how well this can be done in Reaper.
I await your thoughts...

I am not familiar with Amazon ACX but I do something similar when creating my ambient stuff.

I always aim for -1dB True Peak with an integrated -16dB LUFS. I do this manually, at the moment, within REAPER. And, as you say, it can be a lengthy "push me/pull you" process.

I know I could use compressor/limiter tools but I specifically stay away from squashing the dynamics.

I currently use Pro-L on the master buss, which might sound laughable, but I really like it as a monitoring tool, and it can be set up to measure in LUFS. I set the output to -1dB.

Once I am happy with the mix I will play the project from start to finish and then make a note of the LUFS level. At this point it can be as low as -8dB LUFS.

So, assuming that is the case, I need to boost the input by around +8dB in order to get close to my target. Generally this take a couple of iterations.

I then make note of where the peaks are, using Pro-L. Basically, I want to manually ride the levels so that my limiter doesn't have to do any work. And when I say "ride the levels," I don't mean the master fader... That stays at zero. Instead I alter individual track levels in order to lower the peaks and sometimes raise levels in sections that are a little bit too quiet, which also raises the overall LUFS level.

And that is where the push me/pull you thing becomes a labour of love, I guess. For one thing, by the time project is "finished," if I am still liking it myself then it's good to go haha!

Does that sound mad? I am guessing that it does. I have developed this particular technique in isolation, using the tools in front of me and in line with general discussions elsewhere about streaming level requirements of various websites.

cheers

andy
Old 08-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #6
karbomusic

Targeting -20 LUFS with -3dB peaks should get you close... also... LUFS = loudness units full scale so it's 'kinda' not really -20 LUFS; if the peaks are -3 dBFS, it would be -23 LUFS. I wonder if they are aware of that.

Last edited by karbomusic; 08-13-2019 at 07:25 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Targeting -20 LUFS with -3dB peaks should get you close... also... LUFS = loudness units full scale so it's 'kinda' not really -20 LUFS; if the peaks are -3 dBFS, it would be -23 LUFS. I wonder if they are aware of that.
Good point but the original post stated "RMS" and not LUFS. Similar since the intent is the same of targeting an average loudness but I believe that would explain the difference you noted.
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
DVDdoug

The Audacity website has a good wiki entry about audiobook mastering and there is a very handy ACX Check plug-in for Audacity.

If you have a good recording to start with it's a straightforward process.

Quote:
The noise floor is easy enough - just use ReaFIR to reduce background noise.
You have to be a little careful because they can reject you if "artificial" noise reduction makes the noise floor too low or if the noise reduction causes artifacts, even if it passes the automated tests. The want to hear some "room tone".

Quote:
The challenge is to balance the average volume with the maximum peak level. Often I find myself editing such that the peak volume is lower than -3dB, only to find that the average volume is now too low.
Regular-linear volume adjustment changes the peak and average by the same amount (in dB). Compression and/or limiting bring the peak & average closer together. (The Audacity-recommended process uses limiting after setting the RMS level.)

Quote:
That's a strange requirement, -3db peak? Weird.
Weird yes! But, the ACX Requirements clearly say "no higher than -3dB".

Last edited by DVDdoug; 08-14-2019 at 09:54 AM.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Good point but the original post stated "RMS" and not LUFS. Similar since the intent is the same of targeting an average loudness but I believe that would explain the difference you noted.
Yes, that would explain it... I totally missed that it didn't say LUFS LOL.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #10
Luke-Castle

Default Try Auphonic

I have found great assistance with Auphonic offline processing. It's about $80 (one time code for the download. MAKE SURE TO GET THE DESKTOP LEVELER) set that sucker for -3 peak and 20LUFAS and your good to go. Passes every time.
Luke-Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #11
Luke-Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
True but in my experiance (and I've done 7 w/ACX so far from expert but also not novice) every time my files are -20 LUFS i pass/
Luke-Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #12
ashcat_lt

Interestingly, because of the way that math works, limiting or clipping the peaks usually will decrease the integrated RMS also. It’s completely program dependent and usually not enough to worry about, but if you’re really trying to meet a precise target, it can take some trial and error.

You need phase rotation. I don’t have to see it or hear it. Voices are assymetrical waveforms. That means the positive peaks can be significantly higher than your negative peaks. Your limiter sometimes is only working on the positive peaks, while the negative ones are barely touched. Phase rotation (all pass filters, ReaEQ will do it) redistributes the energy in such a way that it becomes much more symmetrical. It’s completely transparent - you’ll never hear the difference, but it usually manages to reduce the Crest Factor all on its own so that you don’t need so much compression/limiting. More importantly it allows the limiter to work a lot more consistently. This was all figured out in the early days of radio, and still applies today.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:03 PM   #13
CVD

Default total- newbie-peak level

What is the best way to limit the peak level (with the exception of keeping your with 12-18)? Where do you gage the amount of your peak levels as you record to know if you are around the -3db?
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:15 PM   #14
CVD

Default total- newbie-trying to balance the different steps

Hi,

I am a total newbie. I am having a difficult time balancing all of the steps and knowing what levels should be where and totally almost everything. I have been watching videos, but I can't seem to get within ACX requirements either. There are numerous multiple fx chains shown in different videos and I can't find anything that helps me in giving me approximate settings for different fx, and I am at a loss as to which is best and so far I haven't reached the appropriate requirements in either scenario. How much can you move bands around in EQ without compromising levels. I feel like I did a pretty good job when comparing to vids. But again, I am totally new at all of this. What are anyone's thoughts on Equalization. and the fx chains and their order?

Also, If you run an fx, but find you don't like it, does it truly get removed if you delete it from the track? I applied Reafir but decided I did not like it so I deleted it, but is it truly gone? Also, If I do not like the specs I chose on another fx and just go back and change it and run it to see if it seemed to work right, does it mean I have doubled an fx without realizing it? Also, does choosing attacks and releases affect threshold and gain at all? How much does dry affect it if you feel your tone can benefit from it, or you want to tailor more of how much breath you hear?

I am using Reaper for the purpose of being able to record audiobooks and voice overs.

Last edited by CVD; 05-11-2021 at 06:20 PM.
CVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:25 PM   #15
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVD View Post

Also, If you run an fx, but find you don't like it, does it truly get removed if you delete it from the track?
Reaper, like other DAWs - but unlike some audio editors, is typically non-destructive. FX are applied in real-time, so what you hear (or "render") is the original audio file + the FX processing. The original audio data is unchanged.

If you remove the effect, what you hear is simply the original.

You can, if you wish, choose to "freeze" with effects (which creates a new file). But even then, the original remains accessible.
Old 05-12-2021, 06:38 PM   #16
DVDdoug

Quote:
I am a total newbie. I am having a difficult time balancing all of the steps and knowing what levels should be where and totally almost everything.
The Audacity process (above) works every time! (That is, the RMS & peak levels will pass every time... You could still fail noise or get rejected for "over processing" or other requirements.)

Set the RMS levels and then limit. RMS normalizing usually pushes the peaks above 0dB. You'll probably have to render the file to set/confirm the RMS levels so you should render to floating-point WAV (which can go over 0dB). Then re-import and limit to -3dB, and your levels are done.

The limiter has very little effect on the RMS level. The Audacity limiter uses look-ahead do it doesn't alter/distort the waveform. (I don't know what the equivalent setting are in REAPER.)

Meeting the ACX noise spec is more difficult and usually requires noise reduction since most of us don't have a soundproof studio. Noise testing and noise reduction should be done last because you could meet the noise spec before normalizing and if your RMS levels are low (which they usually are) and you boost, you'll also be boosting the noise.

Quote:
How much can you move bands around in EQ without compromising levels.
EQ first. For voice over/audiobooks your voice should "sound natural" so take it easy with the effects. Generally, EQ should only be used to correct for microphone frequency response and maybe to improve your voice.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote