Old 12-03-2018, 04:02 AM   #1
fred garvin
Human being with feelings

Default Cyber Monday Hits and Misses

Well I had a bunch o fun with the Cyber Monday sales. So I'm actually getting around to using some of this stuff now, had a couple real winners right off the bat, and occurred to me maybe it would be fun and useful to make a thread for us to discuss our new toys.

Hits:

Audio Assault FreakQ - It's a 5 band parametric EQ with harmonic enhancement per band. I used it on a very problematic bass, very wooly but with a lot of fret noise and other crap, I dunno, I think he was wearing a big pinky ring or something from all the clicking and clanking lol. I was able to dial in some nice detail in the low end and leave the junk in the high end alone. It was effective and also cleaner and more subtle than I was expecting.

Hornet 31 - A 31 band EQ, with automagic frequency balancing. So no one's going to be too excited about a 31 band EQ in this century lol, but this one does real time analysis and frequency balancing. Put it on a mix I've been struggling with and frankly gave up on, got a noticeable improvement. Highly adjustable, it can be very aggressive and kinda weird sounding if you let it but you can pull it back to a nice subtle enhancement. I was just demoing it so put it right on the master, wasn't really expecting it to have that kind of sound quality but once I got it dialed in, it seems just fine, which impresses me that it's holding its own and playing nice with the IK and Voxengo plugs on there already while doing all the RTA stuff. I think it's probably gonna stay right where it is.

Anyone else care to share?
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
Reason

I got a Bass VI clone, Agile Argus, for $370 with case and shipping. Supposed to arrive today. Pretty stoked to check out the 30" scale.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I was thinking we'd see the new melodyne with ARA2 and reaper for black friday, but nope
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
ivansc

hey, pipe - ARA2 is included in the recent update. 4.3 I believe & reading the pre release thread on this things are already behaving themselves pretty well, although official reaper release supporting ARA is scheduled for the next full version IIR.

P.S> I have no horse in this race, btw. Dont use melodyne any more.