Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-03-2018, 04:29 AM   #241
azslow3
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinotsuh View Post
You may find yourself finding little bits of Cakewalk on your drives far into the future, they have, and always have had the most untidy install I have ever come across, you have files and folders from arse hole to breakfast, and uninstalling the regular way doesn't remove anywhere near all of the crap.
In comparison with MS, CW is almost "clean". To have real fun, try to demo and then un-install AutoCAD

Cakewalk has the word "Cakewalk" in almost everything it installs. I mean searching for this word in the registry and in the file system will show 99.9% of the staff in question.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:44 PM   #242
jbraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
How is the render command called in CbB which decides itself how long the tail should be? I couldn't find it.
It doesn't - you have to set it, just like in Reaper...
jbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:45 AM   #243
drmacchius

I am a newbe. I´m learning slowly reaper and I find it very nyce for recording and to run on Laptop in live session. But I am not so good with script and customisation.
I am looking for a simple MIDI sequencer for composing and Arranging.

Can I find it in Cakewalk by Bandlab? Does cakewalk give me anything more in MIDI composing and Arranging than Reaper or give me the same throw a simple way?
drmacchius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 07:07 AM   #244
jbraner

The MIDI editor in Cakewalk might be a little easier to look at, and it doesn't worry about what media item you're working in - but I've learned to get quite comfortable with the Reaper one

Plus in Reaper, you can customise everything - so I'd say stick with Reaper.

Try a demo of Cakewalk if you want to compare...
Old 12-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #245
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
The MIDI editor in Cakewalk might be a little easier to look at, and it doesn't worry about what media item you're working in - but I've learned to get quite comfortable with the Reaper one

Plus in Reaper, you can customise everything - so I'd say stick with Reaper.

Over the years I've read posts of people having issues with midi in REAPER. I've used it for ten years now, and never had any problems at all, and I do stuff like record V-Drums that have a lot of control data constantly flowing from the hihat pedal Etc.

I think the folks who have issues are mostly still using outboard hardware like many of us did in the 80s. I find editing midi in REAPER to be very similar to Sonar. The piano roll and event lists are quite alike in how they operate.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #246
woogish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I cannot for the life of me get this crap off my system. No matter how many times I delete the cakewalk folder, when installing VSTs, it tries to default back to there. Any help in completely removing this new cakewalk from my system, including out of the startup configs?
Install it in another computer, copy the VSTs, paste em into other computer's vst folder?

Then just uninstall from 1st computer?
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #247
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
Install it in another computer, copy the VSTs, paste em into other computer's vst folder?

Then just uninstall from 1st computer?
Although, most of this thread is pretty old, I'm pretty sure the issue with VSTs installing to the wrong folder is a case of,

"C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTPlugins"

is found before

"C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins"

only because some installers start traversing the folder structure, looking for a VSTPlugins folder and the letter "C" comes before the letter "V" alphabetically, so the first one found is the wrong one.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #248
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmacchius View Post
I am a newbe. I´m learning slowly reaper and I find it very nyce for recording and to run on Laptop in live session. But I am not so good with script and customisation.
I am looking for a simple MIDI sequencer for composing and Arranging.

Can I find it in Cakewalk by Bandlab? Does cakewalk give me anything more in MIDI composing and Arranging than Reaper or give me the same throw a simple way?
In comparison with REAPER, Cakewalk will give you:
* simple usable step sequencer (some people claim REAPER also has some... but it is made too REAPER way...)
* build-in Matrix view, works fine for MIDI too
* some soft synths to stat with (you can find tons of free synths and use them with REAPER, but not out of the box)
* nice looking interface to start with

You also get a set of effects for mixing the result, some of them are good quality. And you can add effects from REAPER, they are free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
There is no demo, there is only full free version

But... Cakewalk by BandLab is heavy, resources hungry, less stable, prone to loose MIDI devices configuration and has no free set of good video tutorials.

In other words it is simpler to start with but harder to continue.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #249
woogish

i see cakewalk's gui as U-G-L-Y!!!!!
Just sayin's all
woogish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #250
jinotsuh

In the end I couldn't stand looking at it, it was nauseating, especially mercury (the silver one) Tungsten was a little better but still.

As to pipelines vst installation problem, as I said before, you just have to edit the entry in Windows registry that Cakewalk hijacks when it is installed, and either leave it blank, or point it to where ever you like. Then when you go to install a vst it won't automatically show the Cakewalk path, but either whatever you have selected, or . . . Some vst's will default to Stienberg or whatever, but most or a good number will follow what is set in the registry.
jinotsuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:41 PM   #251
jinotsuh

I believe it is, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SOFTWARE - VST

'VstPluginPath' is what you want to change, it will be hijacked by Cakewalk and point to it's vst location
jinotsuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:55 AM   #252
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogish View Post
i see cakewalk's gui as U-G-L-Y!!!!!
Just sayin's all
It is just different. And the reason many CW users find REAPER GUI (default or moded) not usable at all

Till REAPER get normal step sequencer, normal pitch markers and normal loops view, Cakewalk will continue to provide something REAPER does not.

Please do not understand me wrong, REAPER is far ahead in almost everything and I am not looking back. But I still miss some features CW always had...
Old 12-02-2018, 04:00 AM   #253
jbraner

The Cakewalk MIDI editor certainly isn't ugly, and "snap" works as you'd expect it to