Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 07-31-2021, 04:33 AM   #14521
MST
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangy View Post
thanks, need to learn a bit😌
Hi Strangy, I Frankensteined the x-touch zone files from version 1.0 into 1.1 with some tiny adaptions, if you like I'll zip them up and post them here.
MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:07 PM   #14522
strangy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MST View Post
Hi Strangy, I Frankensteined the x-touch zone files from version 1.0 into 1.1 with some tiny adaptions, if you like I'll zip them up and post them here.
Hi MST, thank you, I already Frankenstained my Zones for X-Touch.
BTW is there a place where we can share our zones. Each plugin require a lot of work, so it will be great if we can collect all that in our opinion works awesome in one place.

Today I tuned FabFilter Pro Q 3, I downloaded one many by Freex, modified and extended it use almost all parameters (including dynamics and solo).

It still in work, I can share it here but it will lost in this long thread
strangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 04:50 AM   #14523
MST

Quote:
BTW is there a place where we can share our zones. Each plugin require a lot of work, so it will be great if we can collect all that in our opinion works awesome in one place.

Today I tuned FabFilter Pro Q 3, I downloaded one many by Freex, modified and extended it use almost all parameters (including dynamics and solo).

It wont be lost, next to this thread header there is the 5 star thread rating, and above that the list of attachments of this thread, and the other option is the Reaper Stash, one just needs to label the files well.

I hear you though, but where we stand now, is that Geoff just finished v1.1 for release while ironing out wrinkles, while helping users are making new zone files to honor the new functions, so this is a bit of a creative period with other priorities. But when all this has passed (and Geoff is good on his way with his new project making all the EuCon users happy), I am sure people here will start talking about the right kind of data base for this project again.

Ideally CSI would rule the world with ready made mst files for everything in existence with base zone files to get you started instantly, while Geoff is getting simultaneous head, and feet massages under a palm-tree in the sun while gazing from a Canadian mountain over the ocean while fixing all the bugs on this planet smiling contently, while we turn nature into bliss by performing sensational music, it just needs a bit more work .

Last edited by MST; 08-01-2021 at 05:28 AM. Reason: Bugfix
Old 08-01-2021, 08:02 AM   #14524
Apokalipsis

Hello all!
Does anyone know the trick so that using the script to show the name and value of the last touched parameter in the REAPER console when I press the button on my controller?
Like this:

Code:
ShowConsoleMsg("FX param name");
ShowConsoleMsg("Fx param value");
Apokalipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:47 AM   #14525
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipsis View Post
Hello all!
Does anyone know the trick so that using the script to show the name and value of the last touched parameter in the REAPER console when I press the button on my controller?
Code:
SomeController      FocusedFXParam
SomeDisplay         FocusedFXParamNameDisplay
SomeOtherDisplay    FocusedFXParamValueDisplay
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:24 AM   #14526
Apokalipsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Code:
SomeController      FocusedFXParam
SomeDisplay         FocusedFXParamNameDisplay
SomeOtherDisplay    FocusedFXParamValueDisplay
Hello MixMonkey,
this option does not immediately, since my keyboard cannot display the values ​​received from CSI. I need to watch the name and values ​​of the last parameter only in the Reaper console.
Apokalipsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:35 AM   #14527
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipsis View Post
Hello MixMonkey,
this option does not immediately, since my keyboard cannot display the values ​​received from CSI. I need to watch the name and values ​​of the last parameter only in the Reaper console.
Ah, sorry, can't help you with that.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #14528
airon

Quick question.

Track banking with an encoder is not a possibility yet is it ?

I presume I have to define the each different encoder message as a widget and bind each one to a trackbank command in the zone. That's a lot with the Presonus knobs. They run from 01 to 3f for just one direction.

So I was wondering if you could do with an encoder to track banking what you can do to an fx parameter.

Code:
bigknob trackbank ([1)]
That would be a banking value of one no matter what the encoder value. One track bank per tick would suffice.

It didn't work of course, but perhaps it's something to consider for the future. Unless I have overlooked a mechanism of course. Please do tell if you know.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:20 PM   #14529
SQLmedia

Default Encoder Banking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Quick question.

Track banking with an encoder is not a possibility yet is it ?

I presume I have to define the each different encoder message as a widget and bind each one to a trackbank command in the zone. That's a lot with the Presonus knobs. They run from 01 to 3f for just one direction.

So I was wondering if you could do with an encoder to track banking what you can do to an fx parameter.

Code:
bigknob trackbank ([1)]
That would be a banking value of one no matter what the encoder value. One track bank per tick would suffice.

It didn't work of course, but perhaps it's something to consider for the future. Unless I have overlooked a mechanism of course. Please do tell if you know.
This can be accomplished if you set up your Presonus Encoder like a series of buttons (or at least does with 1.0). I break my big encoder into 3 speeds, which are just manually entered ranges of `Press .. .. ..`. Then, assign those widgets to TrackBack "-16" (or however many num tracks

Zon:
Code:
Zone "Home"
  / ... /
  RotaryBigLeft   TrackBank "-1" 
  RotaryBigLeftMid   TrackBank "-8" 
  RotaryBigLeftFast  TrackBank "-16" 
  RotaryBigRight   TrackBank "1" 
  RotaryBigRightMid   TrackBank "8" 
  RotaryBigRightFast  TrackBank "16" 
  / ... /
ZoneEnd

MST File:
Code:
Widget RotaryBigRight
  Press b0 3c 00  
  / ...SNIP... /
  Press b0 3c 0f 
WidgetEnd

Widget RotaryBigRightMid
  Press b0 3c 10  
  / ... SNIP ... /
  Press b0 3c 1f 
WidgetEnd

Widget RotaryBigRightFast
  Press b0 3c 20
  / ... Snip ... /
  Press b0 3c 2f 
  / ... Snip ... /
  Press b0 3c 30 
  / ... Snip ... /
  Press b0 3c 3f  
WidgetEnd

Widget RotaryBigLeft
  Press b0 3c 41 
  / ... Snip ... / 
  Press b0 3c 4f  
WidgetEnd

Widget RotaryBigLeftMid
  Press b0 3c 51 
  / ... Snip ... /
  Press b0 3c 5f  
WidgetEnd

Widget RotaryBigLeftFast
  Press b0 3c 61 
  / ... Snip ... /
  Press b0 3c 7f  
WidgetEnd
Also, thanks for the first Faderport 8/16 files I saw around here. They got me started. Now I just have to migrate to 1.1.
SQLmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:40 AM   #14530
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQLmedia View Post
This can be accomplished if you set up your Presonus Encoder like a series of buttons (or at least does with 1.0). I break my big encoder into 3 speeds, which are just manually entered ranges of `Press .. .. ..`. Then, assign those widgets to TrackBack "-16" (or however many num tracks
I was afraid of that. Interesting though that you can have multiple messages in one widget. That one is new to me. Thanks.

Quote:
Also, thanks for the first Faderport 8/16 files I saw around here. They got me started. Now I just have to migrate to 1.1.
Glad you found it useful. Same here for v1.1. I'm in the middle of a project, so I'm not toying with my setup right now, but I've already split out stuff for later on. Actually one zone per file won't be all that bad for the enormous fx zone I've made for the CLA Epic plugin. It tries to replicate how Chris uses his console for it.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:57 AM   #14531
MST

Hello, I am going berserk with the new FX subzones cause it's so cool !

Now I'm making fx zones for my Lexicon MX400 AU plugin editor, and bumped into a puzzle with my C4 controller.

The encoders of the C4 go from 0.0 to 1.0.
But the parameters of the MX400 editor go from 0.0000 to 99.000.
So the C4 encoders just reach around 1% of the needed range.
Is there a way for the C4 to go all the way to 99.000 ?
Old 08-04-2021, 03:43 AM   #14532
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Hello, I am going berserk with the new FX subzones cause it's so cool !

Now I'm making fx zones for my Lexicon MX400 AU plugin editor, and bumped into a puzzle with my C4 controller.

The encoders of the C4 go from 0.0 to 1.0.
But the parameters of the MX400 editor go from 0.0000 to 99.000.
So the C4 encoders just reach around 1% of the needed range.
Is there a way for the C4 to go all the way to 99.000 ?
See the "encoders" section in the wiki. Halfway down the page there is a section on custom paramater ranges.

FXParam 1 [ 0.0>99.0 ]

Be aware that the led feedback will not be correct. The leds will go through its default range 99 times faster than normal.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the encoders on the c4 technically just send out increment/decrement values and CSI is what gives it a range of 0 to 1 by default.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:27 AM   #14533
MST

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
See the "encoders" section in the wiki. Halfway down the page there is a section on custom paramater ranges.

FXParam 1 [ 0.0>99.0 ]

Be aware that the led feedback will not be correct. The leds will go through its default range 99 times faster than normal.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the encoders on the c4 technically just send out increment/decrement values and CSI is what gives it a range of 0 to 1 by default.
Right!!, that did it (I always check the wiki first, but now it works I see I could have done it without help, which is not always the case,,).

The led feedback is indeed bizarre psychedelic (I can live with that for now, I'll try a controller with absolute encoders later).
Now I'm going to fix the C4 encoders so I wont need to turn them 40 times before they reach 99.0000, but that's explained well in the wiki (thanks Funkybot), so that will be a good exercise in handling this type of encoder.

Thank you very much for the help !!!

(Btw, I am following you're progress with TouchOSC, radio buttons, and all, exciting stuff.)
Old 08-04-2021, 04:45 AM   #14534
cjewellstudios

Quote:
Right!!, that did it (I always check the wiki first, but now it works I see I could have done it without help, which is not always the case,,).

The led feedback is indeed bizarre psychedelic (I can live with that for now, I'll try a controller with absolute encoders later).
Now I'm going to fix the C4 encoders so I wont need to turn them 40 times before they reach 99.0000, but that's explained well in the wiki (thanks Funkybot), so that will be a good exercise in handling this type of encoder.

Thank you very much for the help !!!

(Btw, I am following you're progress with TouchOSC, radio buttons, and all, exciting stuff.)
You're extremely welcome. It's not often something comes up that I'm both confident in the answer and quicker than Funkybot and MixMonkey!

Acceleration is a literal game changer. Being able to customize it when using custom ranges is just incredible.

TouchOSC is going really well. Basically just waiting on a fix for the button feedback issue (either from Hexler or me trying to hack up a workaround for now)

I've been mapping my personal plugins but I'm going to switch to the Tokyo dawn stuff and include them in the layout.
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:50 AM   #14535
MixMonkey

@MST Do you have a Mackie C4?
Old 08-04-2021, 04:55 AM   #14536
MST

Quote:
@MST Do you have a Mackie C4?
A grateful owner of 2 of them.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:06 AM   #14537
MST

Quote:
Acceleration is a literal game changer. Being able to customize it when using custom ranges is just incredible.
Till resent I just considered it an extra irritating complexity, but with the extra experience I start to get excited to,,

Quote:
TouchOSC is going really well. Basically just waiting on a fix for the button feedback issue (either from Hexler or me trying to hack up a workaround for now)
Yeah, I followed that, thankfully Hexler has a good enough reputation to expect them to fix fast, fingers crossed,,
Old 08-04-2021, 05:07 AM   #14538
MixMonkey

Quote:
A grateful owner of 2 of them.
Me too

See if there's anything in here you can use.

Last edited by MixMonkey; 08-07-2021 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:08 AM   #14539
MixMonkey

Quote:
Yeah, I followed that, thankfully Hexler has a good enough reputation to expect them to fix fast, fingers crossed,,
I've sent them all the files they need to see the issue from our perspective, waiting to hear back.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:14 AM   #14540
MST

@MixMonkey
Double thanks !!
I will dig in.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:09 AM   #14541
PiotrLechowicz

Hello,

This is my first post, so first of all I would like to thank you for the awesome CSI plugin. It works like a charm.

I don't know if this will be useful to anyone, but I wrote a simple plugin that allows to specify dummy actions in Reaper (only with on/off state without doing anything) that can be used to control button lights on the surface from CSI zones. E.g., in my Qcon Pro G2 I have a zoom button, and if I would like to remain lit when I am in 'zoom' mode I can assign that toggling action to it. Or if I press 'Sends' button it lights on and 'Pan' button (and other specified) turns off. The name of actions can be customised in .txt config file.

In case that someone will find it useful, here is the link to code:
https://github.com/piotrlechowicz/pt..._reaper_plugin
Right now it is built only for OSx but if needed I can compile it for Windows as well.

Last edited by PiotrLechowicz; 08-04-2021 at 10:38 AM.
PiotrLechowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:21 AM   #14542
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiotrLechowicz View Post
Hello,

This is my first post, so first of all I would like to thank you for the awesome CSI plugin. It works like a charm.

I don't know if this will be useful to anyone, but I wrote a simple plugin that allows to specify dummy actions in Reaper (only with on/off state without doing anything) that can be used to control button lights on the surface from CSI zones. E.g., in my Qcon Pro G2 I have a zoom button, and if I would like to remain lit when I am in 'zoom' mode I can assign that toggling action to it. Or if I press 'Sends' button it lights on and 'Pan' button (and other specified) turns off. The name of actions can be customised in .txt config file.

In case that some one will find it useful, here is the link to code:
https://github.com/piotrlechowicz/pt..._reaper_plugin
Right now it is built only for OSx but if needed I can compile it for Windows as well.
Glad you are liking CSI. It really is an incredible piece of software. Geoff and the crew have done amazing things. I'm a Windows User, so I would love to have something like this compiled for windows. Pretty please, with sugar on top.
Thank you.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #14543
Freex

Quote:
Me too

Thanks MixMonkey

I'm pinching your hard work too.
Freex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #14544
Freex

Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post
Glad you are liking CSI. It really is an incredible piece of software. Geoff and the crew have done amazing things. I'm a Windows User, so I would love to have something like this compiled for windows. Pretty please, with sugar on top.
Thank you.
There are some dummy toggles in the SWS already, I used one for my ZoomMode.zon

Code:
SWS/S&M: Dummy toggle 1         _S&M_DUMMY_TGL1
SWS/S&M: Dummy toggle 2         _S&M_DUMMY_TGL2
SWS/S&M: Dummy toggle 3         _S&M_DUMMY_TGL3
SWS/S&M: Dummy toggle 8         _S&M_DUMMY_TGL8
Here's when I asked the same question about led toggles.
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=14105
Old 08-04-2021, 12:58 PM   #14545
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freex View Post

Code:
Awesome. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #14546
MixMonkey

Quote:
Thanks MixMonkey

I'm pinching your hard work too.
No worries
Old 08-05-2021, 08:11 AM   #14547
PiotrLechowicz

Quote:
Thank you.
Done, but I was only able to build it for x64 at the moment.

Quote:

Code:
Yes, but they are only toggling, right? You cannot explicitly turn it off or on, just toggle it.
So after pressing Home button you cannot know which one should be toggled? If you press home after activating zoom, the zoom button is lit but you are not in ZoomMode. And if you will press zoom, the button will turn off even though the zoom mode has been activated.

My point was to add additional actions that are able to turn on/off/toggle those toggles.
PiotrLechowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:01 AM   #14548
siniarch

Quote:

Yes, but they are only toggling, right? You cannot explicitly turn it off or on, just toggle it.
So after pressing Home button you cannot know which one should be toggled? If you press home after activating zoom, the zoom button is lit but you are not in ZoomMode. And if you will press zoom, the button will turn off even though the zoom mode has been activated.

My point was to add additional actions that are able to turn on/off/toggle those toggles.
Awesome. Thank you and x64 is what I have, so perfect.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:59 AM   #14549
Freex

Quote:

I have it so that when I enter ZoomMode (by pressing the zoom button) the button lights up
when I want to exit ZoomMode I press the Zoom button again,(light goes out) that's what takes me to home, I don't have a "home button"
Old 08-05-2021, 10:15 AM   #14550
Funkybot

Quote:
Me too

Don't even have a C4, but took a peak. Sub-Foldering the FX Zones by vendor is very tidy. Will be doing that immediately.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:12 AM   #14551
Freex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Don't even have a C4, but took a peak. Sub-Foldering the FX Zones by vendor is very tidy. Will be doing that immediately.
It's kind of a must if you have more than a couple of vst's.

I also like to put multi zone effects into their own folder inside the vendor folder.
(but maybe that's just some sort of OCD)
Old 08-05-2021, 03:54 PM   #14552
Funkybot

Geoff, what do you think of hosting surface .mst and .zon files similar to what Smokehead did here on Github:

https://github.com/JanFeld/reaper-csi-configs

Seems like something that's very clean and might work well as a simple repository for surface files.

Could do one top-level folder per surface, then sub folders for the .mst and .zon files. The files then become browsable which is nice, or someone could download right from the Git repository.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:15 AM   #14553
MST

Quote:
Geoff, what do you think of hosting surface .mst and .zon files similar to what Smokehead did here on Github:

Seems like something that's very clean and might work well as a simple repository for surface files.

Could do one top-level folder per surface, then sub folders for the .mst and .zon files. The files then become browsable which is nice, or someone could download right from the Git repository.
Sounds like a forest of a thumbs-up plan to me, it will keep the CSI installation and folders clean and efficient.
And making the wiki and repository as attractive as possible has huge benefits, gives new musicians the opportunity to calmly investigate everything.
In the long run this is essential so CSI can easily swing around independently from this thread.

Edit to ad,
A thread that today counts more then 3 quarters of a million views,, wow.

Last edited by MST; 08-06-2021 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #14554
siniarch

Quote:

I'm contemplating hosting such a site where people can have accounts and upload their own setting. So, it would be self curating. But I like the idea of it having a much better interface. Anyway, I'll give it some more though and let you know what I come up with.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:58 AM   #14555
Navelpluisje

Quote:
I'm contemplating hosting such a site where people can have accounts and upload their own setting. So, it would be self curating. But I like the idea of it having a much better interface. Anyway, I'll give it some more though and let you know what I come up with.
Hi Siniarch, this very idea also popped my mind an innumerous amount of times. I like the idea of a community-driven environment of all CSI related. Also adding an 'editor' kinda tool would be really nice. A bit in the way you do with your controller: Adding the text file, select an mst and connect the dots.

Let's team up and create a great tool that will help the CSI community

Last edited by Navelpluisje; 08-07-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Navelpluisje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #14556
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navelpluisje View Post
Hi Siniarch, this very idea also popped my mind an innumerous amount of times. I like the idea of a community-driven environment of all CSI related. Also adding an 'editor' kinda tool would be really nice. A bit in the way you do with your controller: Adding the text file, select an mst and connect the dots.

Let's team up and create a great tool that will help the CSI community
Sounds awesome. Send me a PM and we can begin the conversation.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:39 PM   #14557
c3r1c3

Default Thanks for CSI...and some questions...

First time poster, long time REAPER user, short time CSI user.

First, thank you to everyone who has contributed to CSI, and esp. to Geoff for creating it and working so hard on it.

As to my current questions, when using CSI, REAPER doesn't get the MIDI info (makes perfect sense) which means all of the "MIDI CC/OSC Only" command/actions don't work with CSI (at least in my testing). Is there a way to get those working with a MIDI Control Surface that has CSI controlling it?

If not, are there any plans to do some type of 'passthrough' or to replicate those actions/commands?

My second question is about panning. I can get the base/left-channel panning to work, but the right-channel/width isn't controllable. Having read through most of this thread (yes, the last 250+ pages), it appears to be a known issue, but I'm double checking that I haven't missed anything.

Thanks again for all the hard work!
c3r1c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:01 PM   #14558
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3r1c3 View Post
First time poster, long time REAPER user, short time CSI user.

First, thank you to everyone who has contributed to CSI, and esp. to Geoff for creating it and working so hard on it.

As to my current questions, when using CSI, REAPER doesn't get the MIDI info (makes perfect sense) which means all of the "MIDI CC/OSC Only" command/actions don't work with CSI (at least in my testing). Is there a way to get those working with a MIDI Control Surface that has CSI controlling it?

If not, are there any plans to do some type of 'passthrough' or to replicate those actions/commands?

My second question is about panning. I can get the base/left-channel panning to work, but the right-channel/width isn't controllable. Having read through most of this thread (yes, the last 250+ pages), it appears to be a known issue, but I'm double checking that I haven't missed anything.

Thanks again for all the hard work!
For your first question, look into Bome MIDI translaror. It might be able to do what you want.
Old 08-08-2021, 06:05 AM   #14559
MixMonkey

Quote:
I'm contemplating hosting such a site where people can have accounts and upload their own setting.
Something wrong with the Reaper Stash?
Old 08-08-2021, 06:30 AM   #14560
overdark

Quote:

As an X-Touch owner I'd appreciate this please!

Quote:
And this too!
overdark is offline   Reply With Quote