Old 11-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
AllDayLay
Human being with feelings

Default Time signature in Piano roll

I kinda hate to ask this 'cause everyone here seems so smart and I know it is probably something that I overlooked, but is there a way to get the piano roll to reflect the time signature of the song.
I have one I'm working on that is in 7/4. The timeline works fine but if I go into the Piano roll editor it still shows 4/4. And since I am in no way a drummer(not at 7/4 for sure) I need to program some sort of beat in step time. Where's the button. This program does everything else so elegantly there must be a button I'm missing somewhere?

Last edited by AllDayLay; 11-04-2006 at 09:58 AM. Reason: misleading title
AllDayLay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
fluffy

Hmm, it's working properly here. You have the time signature set in "Project Properties" (Alt+Enter) dialog, correct?
Old 11-04-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
AllDayLay

Yep Project Properties is 7/4 the timeline grid is 7/4 but in the midi editor setting the beats to 1/4 notes gives me 4 1/4 notes per measure. Should be 7. It would also be nice to be able to quantize triplets.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
malcolmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDayLay
Yep Project Properties is 7/4 the timeline grid is 7/4 but in the midi editor setting the beats to 1/4 notes gives me 4 1/4 notes per measure. Should be 7.
The confusion arises from the way REAPER applies its "Snap to Grid" function in the MIDI editor.

The following screenshots all use a time signature of 7/4, with a Snap setting of 1/4:

FL Studio

Reason

REAPER

As you can see from the screenshots, FL Studio, Reason, and most other sequencers apply a Snap setting of 1/4 in a 7/4 bar as being one beat of the bar of 7.

REAPER applies the same settings as one 1/4 of one beat of the bar of 7. To get the expected behaviour in REAPER, you need to set the Snap setting in the MIDI editor to 1, not 1/4.

While this may be unique, it's another source of confusion for people migrating from other sequencers. Maybe there could be an option added to make the Grid setting behave the same way as other sequencers?

Cheers,

Malcolm.
malcolmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:16 AM   #5
AllDayLay

Ah, enlightenment rains down on me.
Some things in Reaper seem (to me)to be very intuitive and some not. Like I'm still trying to figure out what the triggers on the Jesusonic plugs are for. And the routing.....so many options so little brain.