Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-24-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
mattfaulkner
Human being with feelings

Default "Actions" for MIDI insert velocity changes

I'd really like to make creating midi notes in the piano roll more efficient for me. I use a mouse 99% of the time and what bugs me most about it is that you always have to go in and fix velocities after inserting notes because everything is 127 (unless you go through the trouble of finding and selecting a note that has another velocity).

It'd be great to have actions to change the MIDI insert velocity from the keyboard so I could just press a keyboard shortcut and have the insert velocity set anew. That way I could just change velocities with my left hand on the keyboard pressing shortcuts and the right hand inserting notes with the mouse with no tedious, post-insert velocity editing. Easy & fast!

I don't think we need an action for every midi velocity, but something like 0,1,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100,110,120,127 would be great.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Eyes

Agreed.

One thing I thought of, if we had a drop down box to select midi velocity this could help users who manually input notes.

Thread: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=84993
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
hamish

mouse clicking the ME keyboard sets the velocity of the note to be entered

I use the short cut <I> to insert a note at the cursor, at the 'active position' (meaning active pitch)

Still I do insert notes by mouse click quite a lot.

My current way of working is to 'paint' the required velocities in bar by bar, after haveing entered the pitches. This is lousy when working with chords though...

Another thing I have done which is pretty good is to map the velocity +1 and velocity +10 ME actions to the computer keys.

Best thing is get some keyboard (PNO) skills to record realtime MIDI?

hamish
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfaulkner View Post
I'd really like to make creating midi notes in the piano roll more efficient for me. I use a mouse 99% of the time and what bugs me most about it is that you always have to go in and fix velocities after inserting notes because everything is 127 (unless you go through the trouble of finding and selecting a note that has another velocity).

It'd be great to have actions to change the MIDI insert velocity from the keyboard so I could just press a keyboard shortcut and have the insert velocity set anew. That way I could just change velocities with my left hand on the keyboard pressing shortcuts and the right hand inserting notes with the mouse with no tedious, post-insert velocity editing. Easy & fast!

I don't think we need an action for every midi velocity, but something like 0,1,10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100,110,120,127 would be great.
I think id like to hove over a note or set of selected notes and ctrl mousewheel them to inc and dec the velocities.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote