Old 01-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #1
marce
Human being with feelings

Default A nice freebie: maize

Though some one can found it usefull. Is beta (i cant make it work with my standard asio drivers, yes with the ASIO4all ones, and cant run pluigins without gui, appear) but very nice way to route things, seams a little to the eXT thing. If it become a VST, could be nice run it inside Reaper.
About routing, i dont believe that it is more powerfull than Reaper routing things, but appear more easy, since is more "visual" drag&drop lines.

http://www.maizesoft.cn/ms/

and here one screenshot of it running at home:

Warning: it took years to download only 5mb at home, hope you have better luck.
marce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

On the KvR site someone has set up a faster mirror for the download.

I tried it fairly briefly and ran into enough downsides with it that I uninstalled it again. It certainly looks beautiful... which caused me to reflect on Reaper's emphasis on function over form, whereas there is perhaps an emphasis of form over function with Maize.

But it's certainly one to watch.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:49 AM   #3
maa

I was sent this link which was fast but I havn't got around to testing yet....

http://members.shaw.ca/kryos1/mssetup.exe

maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:13 AM   #4
funkster1

When I saw it being announced at KVR, I tried to download it and gave up after 30 min. or so. Even though I'm on broadband here!!!

It did look useful to some extend to me, but if everyone is already into trouble with it, I guess it has to mature a bit first.

Raphael
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
matt avery

I downloaded this and it seems like a very handy tool for a live musician who wants to run synths and drum machines. very cool. I LOVE the interface, beautiful. Reminds me a little bit of fruity loops but not as complex. My m-audio quattro asio drivers actually worked, which is surpizing since its the most finiky interface driver ever built. I didnt have my keyboard plugged into the midi for a couple of months because i'm not a big midi guy but this program made me dust off the midi cables and rediscover my vsti's. Does this work with rearoute? I have to try it out. If I ever do a live computer performance, I might have to choose this over reaper! but for all my audio purposes, reaper trumps. thanks for the link!

Last edited by matt avery; 01-06-2007 at 06:06 AM. Reason: forgot a couple things...
matt avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:30 AM   #6
Sam C

This looks like Console. A program I used a few years ago for unlimited virtual routing. Very good program....and stable.

It is Japanese. I'll try and run down the website.
Sam C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:04 AM   #7
kenn

[removed -Completely redundant]

Last edited by kenn; 01-06-2007 at 09:07 AM. Reason: i'm an idiot.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
Sam C

Here is the link to Console, it is $54 I think.

http://www.console.jp/

Check it out.

Last edited by Sam C; 01-06-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Sam C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:18 AM   #9
Art Evans
Mortal

Did some further testing etc with Maize and it now seems to be working better (not sure if the back door build I got is the one currently on the site though). Getting a bit more enthusiastic about it now - some handy features for some situations - and I've put up some FRs on KvR, where the developer seems responsive and imaginative (which makes a big difference to one's perception of the product). Definitely one to watch if what it does relates to what you do.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
chip mcdonald

I don't have time to mess with it, but...

While I'm for a svelte, ascetic multitrack/TCP interface, I've learned I *definitely* prefer the silly stylized interfaces for plugins.

The reason is that it makes it more intuitive to both remember a setting - because the control for the setting will have both a novel and unique location on it's GUI; but also because it's intuitive to associate the *visual* memory of a control with what it does.

That differs from the TCP. With the TCP/multitrack view, you've got something designed for a generic application in mind. It's the reverse for a plugin; a plugin does one thing specifically.

Likewise, I prefer the silly plugin GUI analogies.

I'm not overly fond of the "virtual wire" thing. On the other hand, Line 6's implementation in their software of having the icons of the "device" lined up, depending on their *sequential virtual order*, is nice IMO.

It's good for the reasons I cited above - but also because at a glance you can *know* what the routing is.

That's important, at a glance. Textural solutions will never be able to give you that.