Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
braveness23
Human being with feelings

Default Controlling transport actions with a midi controller

I have recently started using Reaper after decades of using other DAW's, most recently Propellerhead Reason.

I was surprised to find that Reaper did not acknowledge the transport buttons on my new M-Audio Oxygen 61 keyboard. No biggie I thought, I get that I can assign keystrokes and midi controllers to actions.

But when I assign, for example, the 'Loop' button on the Oxygen 61's transport to the 'Repeat' action the Repeat parameter only stays on while I hold down the loop button on the controller. Obviously this is not what I want and I am wondering if someone can guide me towards getting the Repeat state to toggle each time I press the button instead of returning to the off state when I release the button.

...or... am I missing something altogether and should the Oxygen 61's transport buttons just automatically work with Reaper out of the box?

Thanks in advance!
braveness23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
politcat

this might help:

--Options > Preferences > Midi Devices
--In the top part, MIDI Inputs, you should see your MIDI device
--Right click and select both Enable Input and Enable Input for control messages
--BOTH must be checked if you want to use your keyboard's sliders and knobs, as well as use it as a keyboard

to keep the faders/parameters from jumping in reaper choose Relative 1 when assigning a knob to an action
politcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
braveness23

Thanks you. Actually I already have it set up like that and no joy. What I did discover since making my original post is that I can edit the data that my keyboard's buttons send so they send standard MMC messages that Reaper understands. It boggles the mind that this isn't the default on this keyboard but... what do I know? I've already taken these steps on the play and stop button and it works.

From the M-Audio Oxygen 61 manual:

Assigning MMC Control to Buttons
The transport functions of some hardware recording devices and DAW applications can be remotely operated via MMC
(MIDI Machine Control) commands. MMC is a specialized transport control protocol and requires a somewhat different
configuration method.
The following values need to be specified:
The following example will configure a button to send the MMC command "Play":
1. Select an assignable button as described earlier in this guide
2. Press the Advanced button
3. Press the Control Assign key
4. Type 149 using the number keys. This sets the button to send MMC (MIDI Machine Control)
5. Press the Enter key
6. Press the Advanced button
7. Press the Channel Assign key
8. Enter 127 (Poly On) using the number keys. This ensures all receiving devices will respond to the MMC
10. Press the Advanced button
11. Press the Data 2 key
12. Enter a number from the chart below to select the MMC command for the button. This determines which
transport function will be controlled by this button. For example, enter "2" for the Play command
13. Press the Enter key
Key Parameter Value
Control Assign MMC Control 149
Channel Assign (example) Device ID 127
Data 2 (example) MMC Function 2 (Play)
Number MMC Command
01 STOP
02 PLAY
03 DEFERRED PLAY
04 FAST FORWARD
05 REWIND
06 RECORD STROBE
07 RECORD EXIT
08 RECORD PAUSE
09 PAUSE
09 EJECT
10 CHASE
11 COMMAND ERROR RESET
12 MMC RESET
Old 09-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
braveness23

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure that this IS the solution but for goodness sake remember to store your changes before changing presets on the Oxygen 61 or you will lose them.

Do this by pressing 'Advanced' then 'Store' then the preset number you want to store the changes into then press 'Enter'.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
braveness23

Well, that worked...

But I also found an easier way to do it. All of the Oxygen 61 transport buttons send CC data when pressed. When the button is depressed it sends a value of 127 and when it is released it sends a value of 0.

When you are mapping the keyboard input to an action select 'Relative 1' instead of the default (Absolute).

That'll do it without having to reprogram the keyboard.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
jcayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveness23 View Post
Well, that worked...

When you are mapping the keyboard input to an action select 'Relative 1' instead of the default (Absolute).

That'll do it without having to reprogram the keyboard.
I bought an Oxygen 25 keyboard yesterday and was having that problem...
Thanks for your solution I can play with my toy

Thank you !!!

Jean
jcayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:30 AM   #7
jsulik

Default oxygen pro 61 FULLY unlocking midi cc assign for knobs and faders

oxygen pro 61 FULLY unlocking midi cc assign for knobs and faders
------------
hey if you have the oxygen pro in preferences goto midi devives select oxygen pro on the midi input right click and enable it then enable control signals
these settings allow midi signal to be sent from the midi keyboard to the computer
next
uyou have to enable your keyboard built in settings so first hold the daw select button make sure its on reaper
then hold the preset select button and scroll over to a user preset
this will unlock the faders and knobs for cc midi assignment
if you arent on a user preset then the faders and knobs will be preconfigured and locked from user reconfiguration

next
goto OSC settings and select mackie universal controller and enable midiIN3 this setting will allow the midi keyboards play stop record and loop buttons to work on the face of your midi keyboard this also allows reapers midi/cc learn function to work when mapping plugin parameters but lets say you want to map your controller's faders to your daw's mixer faders, this would require you to use realearn

You can download the free ReaLearn plugin from this website: https://www.helgoboss.org/projects/realearn/.

the last thing i did to be able to FULLY map ANY of my oxygen 61 pro's controls to virtual daw parameters such as track volume and pan etc.. to do this I used the REALEARN plugin.
just download and install realearn into your plugins
follow these instructions this tutorial will help but you need to skip to timestamp 4:29 for the realearn tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrYrAxnB19I

you can find other youtube tutorials that show you how to do what i just described but you will have to do the basic search to find oxygen 61 pro and how to get connected and setup
however some of the info in this post I figured out on my own and could not find else where
good luck
jsulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #8
bigtop

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=240656

Pls read this thread for your answer.

It’s to do with absolute vs relative in action list

Good luck
Old 09-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #9
bigtop