Default v6.46+dev0121 - January 21 2022

v6.46+dev0121 - January 21 2022
  • * Includes feature branch: improved zoomed-in peaks performance
  • * Includes feature branch: FX chain oversampling
  • * Includes feature branch: render internals simplification/cleanup
  • * Includes feature branch: user-defined action overhaul
  • * Includes feature branch: media explorer toolbar
  • * Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
  • + Batch converter: add "save settings" button (does not save file list)
  • + Batch converter: add action to convert all files in directory, optionally including subdirectories
  • + Batch converter: add context menu action to fit file list columns to screen
  • + Batch converter: add context menu action to open output file in explorer/finder
  • + Batch converter: add context menu option to display input media source properties
  • + Batch converter: add option to overwrite original files
  • + Batch converter: add option to preserve source subdirectory structure
  • + Batch converter: add option to suppress notification when finished
  • + Batch converter: change default output file pattern to "$source-converted"
  • + Batch converter: increase default width of window
  • + Batch converter: list $source (input file name) wildcard more prominently
  • + Batch converter: when dragging a directory into the file list, ask if subdirectories should be scanned as well
  • + Media items: always label item ruler start and end if possible [t=262144]
  • + Theme: default theme better displays 4 digit track numbers
  • + Undo: fix undo of markers edited in ripple all and various nudge actions [t=262028]
  • + Windows: fix signing of 32-bit executables and include git revision in win32 build
  • + macOS: refresh various controls when switching to/from dark mode [p=2517137]
  • # JSFX: fix radio buttons in channel_mapper
  • # Render: fix web page display of rendered file length and channel count [p=2518363]
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode

Last edited by schwa; 01-22-2022 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added a word
sockmonkey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:19 PM   #2
Phazma
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
[*]+ Batch converter: add "save settings" button (does not save file list)
[*]+ Batch converter: add action to convert all files in directory, optionally including subdirectories
[*]+ Batch converter: add context menu action to fit file list columns to screen
[*]+ Batch converter: add context menu action to open output file in explorer/finder
[*]+ Batch converter: add context menu option to display input media source properties
[*]+ Batch converter: add option to overwrite original files
[*]+ Batch converter: add option to preserve source subdirectory structure
[*]+ Batch converter: add option to suppress notification when finished
[*]+ Batch converter: change default output file pattern to "$source-converted"
[*]+ Batch converter: increase default width of window
[*]+ Batch converter: list $source (input file name) wildcard more prominently
[*]+ Batch converter: when dragging a directory into the file list, ask if subdirectories should be scanned as well
Wow amazing, very appreciated! The ones I tested so far seem all to work correctly.

However my main (and only left) wish for the batch converter, a Reset Button, is still missing. Please consider adding that, it will make the batch converter complete (for me at least) and much safer / more pleasant to use.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:35 PM   #3
Phazma

Quote:
[*]+ Batch converter: add option to overwrite original files
Something fishy going on here..

I have tried converting a flac file to a wavpack file.

After the conversion I get a file that appears to still be a flac file but now can't be read by any of my apps (not even Reaper) except for VLC.

Here my settings (input is a 16bit flac file, created by Reaper previously):

Old 01-21-2022, 02:59 PM   #4
schwa
Administrator

I think it will work if you change the extension to .wv? I'll fix that on our side.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:22 PM   #5
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I think it will work if you change the extension to .wv? I'll fix that on our side.
Yes it works if I manually change the extension. Thanks for fixing.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:22 PM   #6
airon

Quote:
+ Batch converter: add option to preserve source subdirectory structure
Wow. This is special to me.

It basically allows me to archive my entire sound library in one damn swoop with Wavpack.

Hot damn!
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #7
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Wow. This is special to me.

It basically allows me to archive my entire sound library in one damn swoop with Wavpack.

Hot damn!
Well, you know, maybe test it first...
Old 01-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #8
airon

Running an overnight compression test on 126k files for Wavpack. A shame it won't just preserve the bit depth as well, though Wavpack compensates for that nicely with compression anyway. So only if I have higher than 24 bit files do I lose something. Rare case. Most of my fx are 24 and some 16 bit.

Dragging 126k files in took half a minute.

Any dropdown menu on Wavpack losless compressor was very slow to open up with that many files in the queue. Something to look at perhaps. It was fine to pick an option after that, even after attending to a different application while I waited for the menu to pop open.

The "Save settings" button took a little while to react as well.

Will report back tomorrow on how the test went.

-edit-
Ending the test prematurely. Output is very, very slow. We're talking 2 MB per second, with some 6 MB files taking about 3 seconds to process.

So with 126k files, a little over 600 GB, there's something happening.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:49 PM   #9
schwa
Administrator

How does that time compare to converting a single file?
Old 01-21-2022, 04:20 PM   #10
PhelixK

Quote:
  • + macOS: refresh various controls when switching to/from dark mode [p=2517137]
Toggling dark mode has generally better impact now, also buttons and info-text appears to refresh correctly.

Here the Project Bay differs a bit by showing opposite background in relation to the mode, however, reopening the window will make it look correct. The Tweaker window also needs a manual refresh to be able to read, and I think that's fine.

– there are probably some places and modal windows I haven't checked.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:33 PM   #11
_Stevie_

I’m not at the DAW right now, but does this mean, we can convert all files opened in a project to a different format?
Old 01-21-2022, 08:01 PM   #12
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
Toggling dark mode has generally better impact now, also buttons and info-text appears to refresh correctly.

Here the Project Bay differs a bit by showing opposite background in relation to the mode, however, reopening the window will make it look correct. The Tweaker window also needs a manual refresh to be able to read, and I think that's fine.

– there are probably some places and modal windows I haven't checked.
Ah thanks for the projbay mention, fixing -- here resizing the window is enough to get it to update
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:06 PM   #13
RJHollins

Quote:
Running an overnight compression test on 126k files for Wavpack. A shame it won't just preserve the bit depth as well, though Wavpack compensates for that nicely with compression anyway. So only if I have higher than 24 bit files do I lose something. Rare case. Most of my fx are 24 and some 16 bit.

Dragging 126k files in took half a minute.

Any dropdown menu on Wavpack losless compressor was very slow to open up with that many files in the queue. Something to look at perhaps. It was fine to pick an option after that, even after attending to a different application while I waited for the menu to pop open.

The "Save settings" button took a little while to react as well.

Will report back tomorrow on how the test went.

-edit-
Ending the test prematurely. Output is very, very slow. We're talking 2 MB per second, with some 6 MB files taking about 3 seconds to process.

So with 126k files, a little over 600 GB, there's something happening.
I'm confused by what you wrote ...

From my understanding of the WavPack Specs:

Compatible with virtually all audio data formats including 8, 16, 24, and 32-bit integer PCM; 32-bit float PCM; DSD audio; mono, stereo, and multichannel; sampling rates from 6 to 192 kHz (and non-standard rates)
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:11 PM   #14
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
He's saying he will convert all files to wavpack at 24 bps, even though the originals are at varying bit rates, and it will only be a loss of resolution for the few source files that are higher than 24 bps.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:55 PM   #15
lexaproductions

Now that the batch converter is getting some love. Could you guys have a look at a simple way to open it with the selected media item already in it? And nothing else. Either in the api ou in the action list
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:20 AM   #16
svijayrathinam

Hi devs, When I right click on the fx browser I get two options "add to active takes of selected items" and "Add to selected tracks". But these actions aren't found in action list. Can you pls make it show up in actions list so that I can map a keyboard shortcut to them pls..
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:15 AM   #17
airon

Quote:
How does that time compare to converting a single file?
It usually compresses several such files per second.
I need run more tests on what the threshold is where things get slow.

Wavpack on a single thread is pretty quick already, so three seconds for 5-6 MB WAV files suggests problems in the setup phase.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:19 AM   #18
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post

From my understanding of the WavPack Specs:

Compatible with virtually all audio data formats including 8, 16, 24, and 32-bit integer PCM; 32-bit float PCM; DSD audio; mono, stereo, and multichannel; sampling rates from 6 to 192 kHz (and non-standard rates)
I can‘t say „keep the source bitrate“ in the batch converter.

Thus I pick 24-bit because I have almost no 32-bit floating point files in my library(iirc). For the 16-bit files Wavpack efficiently compresses the empty lower 8 bits.

Still, I‘m only running tests right now. My current backups are all Winrar-compressed.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:40 AM   #19
_Stevie_

I just tested the batch converter. Maybe I'm missing something, but for "Add selected media items", could we have an option to replace the original files in the project with the converted ones? Ideally, replace would also mean to wipe the original files from disk.

Why?
I usually get huge wave files from my editors. In order to save space, I manually convert them from wav to wavpak.
This would make it possible to do a quick replace-convert.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:58 AM   #20
Phazma

Quote:
This would be an amazing feature, hope it can be added!

If technically possible it would be even nicer if the batch converter was able to detected for example "fake" 24bit files which come from padded 16bit files and convert them back to their original 16bits.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:55 AM   #21
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
I just tested the batch converter. Maybe I'm missing something, but for "Add selected media items", could we have an option to replace the original files in the project with the converted ones? Ideally, replace would also mean to wipe the original files from disk.

Why?
I usually get huge wave files from my editors. In order to save space, I manually convert them from wav to wavpak.
This would make it possible to do a quick replace-convert.

Hmm, replacing media items in place would be much scarier than replacing media files in place, which is already pretty scary. Media item conversion includes media item processing and also the media item bounds. If you have a media item where the source media is a 1 hour recording but the media item is cropped to just 1 second, then the 1 hour media file would be replaced by a 1 second media file. Conversely a looped media item will convert to a longer file than the source media. Also you can have multiple media items with the same underlying source, not even necessarily in the same project, in which case converting in place would be undefined.
Old 01-22-2022, 08:58 AM   #22
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Unfortunately this isn't really practical, because bit depth in one format doesn't necessarily map 1:1 to bit depth in another format. Look at all of the bit depth options for wavpack for example.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:08 AM   #23
Phazma

Quote:
Unfortunately this isn't really practical, because bit depth in one format doesn't necessarily map 1:1 to bit depth in another format. Look at all of the bit depth options for wavpack for example.
Hmm that’s a pity but I guess it is what it is.

Do you think an option that gets rid of insignificant padded bits when remaining in the same format would be doable?
Old 01-22-2022, 09:16 AM   #24
schwa
Administrator

I don't think that's practical either. The converter would have to read the whole source file first to see which bits were actually used. For example if you glue 16 bit and 24 bit media items together, you'll have a 24 bit file that only contains 16 bits of signal at first.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:24 AM   #25
Phazma

I see.. well then probably it’s best to leave it to the chosen codec to compress as effectively as possible at the chosen bitrate. Thanks for answering questions about these things.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:56 AM   #26
kytdkut

i think it would still be useful, i.e. to resample a bunch of files but preserve their bit depths (wav to wav)
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:44 PM   #27
clepsydrae

Quote:
A 'best-effort / no guarantees / when-it-makes-sense' partial implementation might still be really valuable? E.g. if you're converting a hierarchy of PCM WAVs it'd be nice if it could preserve bit depth, and it seems like it'd be pretty straightforward to do it in that case (and a few other common cases?)

Either way, thanks for the these new features! I'm going to try it out on a directory of >1k WAV files...
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:27 PM   #28
_Stevie_

Quote:
Hmm, replacing media items in place would be much scarier than replacing media files in place, which is already pretty scary. Media item conversion includes media item processing and also the media item bounds. If you have a media item where the source media is a 1 hour recording but the media item is cropped to just 1 second, then the 1 hour media file would be replaced by a 1 second media file. Conversely a looped media item will convert to a longer file than the source media. Also you can have multiple media items with the same underlying source, not even necessarily in the same project, in which case converting in place would be undefined.
Thanks for elaborating schwa, I see what you mean.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:52 PM   #29
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
A 'best-effort / no guarantees / when-it-makes-sense' partial implementation
Alternate pitch: if there's a simple (?) way to have a switch that says "only operate on source files of bit depth X" that would allow for multiple passes on big, nested hierarchies. In general having some kind of filtering like that (wildcards for names of source files to use, sizes of file, etc) might be nice?
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote