Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-20-2020, 05:48 AM   #1
bhuether
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin, Routing Delay Compensation - Automatic?

Hi,

I think in modern DAWs we don't think much about this because most DAWs apply plugin delay compensation automatically, and you have to actually disable it when you don't want it in effect.

But what about routing related delay?

Say I have some track and in routing I set to 4 channels. Say I set up an EQ on channels 3-4. Then I have a send for the track going to a reverb, where track channels 3-4 are what are going to the reverb.

When audio is actually played back, are things automatically sync'd such that raw unprocessed track output is being mixed with the reverb applied to channels 3/4?

I ask, because I want to avoid phase issues, especially since I have an audio track being summed with a wet return that was processed on an EQ'd version of the original track.

And this also makes me wonder - and maybe this should be separate thread: In what cases should we use track channels versus just using additional tracks and setting up routing so that end effect is like a track channel?

thanks!
bhuether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:57 AM   #2
mschnell
Human being with feelings

AFAIK, there is no such thing like "routing delay" - or any other audio delay.

If the software can't get things in sync for reasons such as CPU power and buffer size, you will get crackles and pops nut no unexpected delay.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote