Old 01-17-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
cemark
Human being with feelings

Default Can't get web remote to work

Hi,

I get web remote to work fine on my wired Windows PC (where I run Reaper). However, I can't get it to work on my Android devices. They are connected to the same network via wifi.

As I understant it my Windows firewall must allow the connection to port 8080. But I have no idea how to set the relevant permissions.

Ideas?

Thx
cemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
cemark

So ... I have checked the boxes in Windows Defender Firewall to allow Reaper in both private and public networks.

And I have opened port 8080, also in Defender.

Still no go :-(
Old 01-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #3
foxAsteria

The problem I've always had with Android devices is that they default to a dynamic IP, so they might work the first time but then stop working after that.

But the web control I think is not tied to that... Anyways, you can check it by holding your finger on the wifi connection > modify > set to static IP.

Normally you shouldn't have to set up your firewall to allow this, so maybe you initially declined access and that rule overrides. Look for any blocking rules in Defender and make sure Reaper and your browser don't have any.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
mykrobinson

Works everytime for me using the URL method.

If you're on the same network, in theory, it should just work.

Are you on a hotspot or something that may not be allowing LAN traffic to see each other? Are you using a third party AV or security product that may be blocking the connection?

EDIT: what i mean about URL is using the rc.reaper.fm/<insert name>, which your router should automatically redirect to whatever IP the computer has currently
mykrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
Studiodawg

Kenny "Enjoyer" made a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkMAj8CpvIU
Enjoy it!
Studiodawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
cemark

I get to the first web page, where it says "Success!. But when I click on the presented link, it cannot connect

I am not on a hotspot. W ired computer, android devices to the netgear router (which the PC is also connected to)
Old 01-17-2020, 02:06 PM   #7
cemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykrobinson View Post
Works everytime for me using the URL method.

If you're on the same network, in theory, it should just work.

Are you on a hotspot or something that may not be allowing LAN traffic to see each other? Are you using a third party AV or security product that may be blocking the connection?

EDIT: what i mean about URL is using the rc.reaper.fm/<insert name>, which your router should automatically redirect to whatever IP the computer has currently
I use the URL method
Old 01-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #8
mykrobinson

@cemark try accessing the URL on the same computer that is running Reaper. I realize its the same machine, but might be helpful to test and ensure that the web interface is actually running, if that makes sense.

Do you have another mobile device (tablet, phone, laptop) you can test with to make 100% sure its not just an issue with one device?

What browser are you using on the Android?
Old 01-17-2020, 11:34 PM   #9
cemark

Quote:
@cemark try accessing the URL on the same computer that is running Reaper. I realize its the same machine, but might be helpful to test and ensure that the web interface is actually running, if that makes sense.

Do you have another mobile device (tablet, phone, laptop) you can test with to make 100% sure its not just an issue with one device?

What browser are you using on the Android?
The web remote is running fine on my PC.

I'm trying on two different Android devices (One+ phone and Samsung tablet).

I'm using Chrome, but I have tried Edge. Same result.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:52 AM   #10
cemark

I'm also running the free version of Avast anti-virus. It does not have a firewall, but I wonder if it may block som traffic ...

Thanks for all replies so far!

I'm supposed to track some vocals, so I need to get this up and running.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:17 AM   #11
mykrobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemark View Post
I'm also running the free version of Avast anti-virus. It does not have a firewall, but I wonder if it may block som traffic ...

Thanks for all replies so far!

I'm supposed to track some vocals, so I need to get this up and running.
Just for kicks, you may try temporarily disabling Avast, and make 100% sure your network profile is set to Private ant not Public. I find that even if you supposedly make some exceptions in the network and sharing center and/or Windows Defender, the Public network profile still has a tendency to block a lot of incoming connections, as the Public profile is meant to provide an extra layer of security when using hotspots, etc.

https://www.petri.com/windows-10-tip...etwork-profile

If you have a laptop as one more test to confirm that the problem is either a setting in the PC or possibly something in the router, the more data we get, the better
Old 01-18-2020, 08:35 AM   #12
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiodawg View Post
Kenny "Enjoyer" made a video:
Enjoy it!
Do you mean Ken Enjoyer?
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:55 PM   #13
cemark

Quote:
Just for kicks, you may try temporarily disabling Avast, and make 100% sure your network profile is set to Private ant not Public. I find that even if you supposedly make some exceptions in the network and sharing center and/or Windows Defender, the Public network profile still has a tendency to block a lot of incoming connections, as the Public profile is meant to provide an extra layer of security when using hotspots, etc.

https://www.petri.com/windows-10-tip...etwork-profile

If you have a laptop as one more test to confirm that the problem is either a setting in the PC or possibly something in the router, the more data we get, the better
Super! I'll check this first thing when I get home tomorrow. Will report back.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:17 AM   #14
cemark

Ahh, now we're getting somewhere:

I changed network type from public to private. No go.

I inactivated Avast. No go.

I fired up my laptop (same wifi, Windows, Chrome), and voila!

So, it works on my Windows laptop, but not on my Android devices (phone and tablet).

Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2020, 07:34 AM   #15
cemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
The problem I've always had with Android devices is that they default to a dynamic IP, so they might work the first time but then stop working after that.

But the web control I think is not tied to that... Anyways, you can check it by holding your finger on the wifi connection > modify > set to static IP.

Normally you shouldn't have to set up your firewall to allow this, so maybe you initially declined access and that rule overrides. Look for any blocking rules in Defender and make sure Reaper and your browser don't have any.
Can you elaborate on setting static IP? I don't seem to get that option ...
Old 01-19-2020, 08:16 AM   #16
Studiodawg

vitalker...yes, that is who I was referring to.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:59 AM   #17
cemark

This is what I get on my Android phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200119-150931.jpg (51.0 KB, 199 views)
Old 01-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #18
mykrobinson

@cemark looks like possible DNS resolution issues on the Android devices.

Do you get the same problem if you use the computers IP address instead of the rc.reaper.fm URL?
Old 01-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #19
mykrobinson

Also, can you share a screen shot of your web interface settings? The error also suggest that possibly the cemark variable doesn't exist in the web server settings.

It's either that or bad DNS routing, as if the Android have a static DNS settings that is not your router, which should be resolving the URL to the computer's web server
Old 01-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #20
Studiodawg

My guess is that when you do step 5 and enter the ID and click OK, it fails and you get that error message (with the 5 steps) again? Did you go into Preferences and set up "cemark" as the ID in REAPER? I guess you did because the Windows laptop worked. I had my Android phone working with my MacBook Pro using exactly this method, so I can tell you it works. I replaced that computer recently in the studio and don't have the Win10 PC online, but do want to use the remote like you, so I'm probably going to get a stand-alone router for the studio. I hate having my audio PCs online, so I don't. I'll have to see if I have a spare router in the studio and if not, get one.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #21
cemark

Quote:
Also, can you share a screen shot of your web interface settings? The error also suggest that possibly the cemark variable doesn't exist in the web server settings.

It's either that or bad DNS routing, as if the Android have a static DNS settings that is not your router, which should be resolving the URL to the computer's web server
Here's the screenshot of my settings. When I hit Apply, it does not give any kind of error (and it does work on the laptop).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg settings.jpg (43.2 KB, 111 views)
Old 01-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #22
mykrobinson

Quote:
Here's the screenshot of my settings. When I hit Apply, it does not give any kind of error (and it does work on the laptop).
In that case, I'm leaning towards DNS resolution issues on the Androids.

By chance have you bypassed DNS and added static on the Android, maybe for parental control or something like FamilyShield or OpenDNS?
Old 01-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #23
cemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiodawg View Post
My guess is that when you do step 5 and enter the ID and click OK, it fails and you get that error message (with the 5 steps) again? Did you go into Preferences and set up "cemark" as the ID in REAPER? I guess you did because the Windows laptop worked. I had my Android phone working with my MacBook Pro using exactly this method, so I can tell you it works. I replaced that computer recently in the studio and don't have the Win10 PC online, but do want to use the remote like you, so I'm probably going to get a stand-alone router for the studio. I hate having my audio PCs online, so I don't. I'll have to see if I have a spare router in the studio and if not, get one.
I don't follow you :-( Step 5?
Old 01-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #24
cemark

Quote:
In that case, I'm leaning towards DNS resolution issues on the Androids.

By chance have you bypassed DNS and added static on the Android, maybe for parental control or something like FamilyShield or OpenDNS?
YES, you are a genious!

Once, a lonmg time ago when my kids where much younger, I fiddled with some settings in OpenDNS for our wireless connections.

But I don't remember WHAT I did, ha ha.

I need to check. Will report back
Old 01-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #25
cemark

The plot thickens ...

Obviously, one of the remedies I made has made web remote to work on my Android tablet!

However, it does not work on ANY of our family's Android phones. (And I DO need to use a phone)

I logged on to our Netgear router, and there WAS something different in the settings between the phones and my tablet: For the phones the parental setting was "same as default router settings" and on my tablet it was "None".

So I changed the settings for the phones to "None". I then restanrted my computer (was due anyway). Then I re-started my phone.

Guess what? No go. None of our phones. I even tried with a different browser (Puttif, or whatever it's called)).

I'm going crazy here!!!
Old 01-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #26
mykrobinson

Quote:
The plot thickens ...

Obviously, one of the remedies I made has made web remote to work on my Android tablet!

However, it does not work on ANY of our family's Android phones. (And I DO need to use a phone)

I logged on to our Netgear router, and there WAS something different in the settings between the phones and my tablet: For the phones the parental setting was "same as default router settings" and on my tablet it was "None".

So I changed the settings for the phones to "None". I then restanrted my computer (was due anyway). Then I re-started my phone.

Guess what? No go. None of our phones. I even tried with a different browser (Puttif, or whatever it's called)).

I'm going crazy here!!!
Interesting. Can you completely disable parental controls in the router, and also check the devices for static DNS entries that may be on the androids?

Most people setup Family Shield through the router, but some folks will set it up at the device level so the rest of the network is unaffected by filters. Some of the paid filters allow you to set different policies for different devices and such, but for the sake of testing, it may be helpful to see if the problem persists with parental controls completely turned off. If the problem persists, you'd need to look up "manual dns" for each device, as it may be in different places.

Here's a generic one to give you some ideas as to where to look on the Android

https://xslab.com/2013/08/how-to-cha...gs-on-android/
Old 01-20-2020, 01:07 AM   #27
cemark

I have de-activated parental controls in the router. So now the setting are (should be) identical between all devices that connect wirelessly.

Still no go.

I have not fiddled with the Android devices to get some kind of parental control that way. The kids buy new phones "all the time" (ha ha) and they just connect to our network. None of them can run web remote.

I am so thankful for all the help I am getting here. BUt I'm starting to feel that I'm losing this battle.

All comments and ideas are welcome.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:12 AM   #28
cemark

Quote:
I have de-activated parental controls in the router. So now the setting are (should be) identical between all devices that connect wirelessly.

Still no go.

I have not fiddled with the Android devices to get some kind of parental control that way. The kids buy new phones "all the time" (ha ha) and they just connect to our network. None of them can run web remote.

I am so thankful for all the help I am getting here. BUt I'm starting to feel that I'm losing this battle.

All comments and ideas are welcome.
Here's a screenshot of my router settings regarding parental control.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg netgear.jpg (57.4 KB, 71 views)
Old 01-20-2020, 01:39 AM   #29
cemark

... and here's a screenshot of my network settings on my phone. It looks the same as for my tablet. Both have dynamic DNS set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200120-093409.jpg (33.8 KB, 84 views)
Old 01-20-2020, 04:45 AM   #30
mykrobinson

Dang. We were into something there for a bit, it seemed

Still feels like DNS resolution issues but I'm hard pressed to figure out aroot cause at this point.

Just waking up, lemme grab some coffee and put on my thinking cap

Just to refresh, do you get the same issue if you use the computers IP address instead of the rc.reaper.fm address? This would eliminate the DNS theory since it would be a straight path to the PC and not require DNS resolution or redirects
Old 01-20-2020, 04:54 AM   #31
cemark

Quote:
Dang. We were into something there for a bit, it seemed

Still feels like DNS resolution issues but I'm hard pressed to figure out aroot cause at this point.

Just waking up, lemme grab some coffee and put on my thinking cap

Just to refresh, do you get the same issue if you use the computers IP address instead of the rc.reaper.fm address? This would eliminate the DNS theory since it would be a straight path to the PC and not require DNS resolution or redirects

Ha! Thank YOU!

I skipped rc.reaper.fm ... and instead used the IP number given. And guess what?

It works!!!

So, my problems are solved. However, it is still interesting to try to understand why the URL method does not work on our phones.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:02 AM   #32
cemark

A BIG thanks to everybody!
Old 01-20-2020, 05:12 AM   #33
mykrobinson

All I can say is we never deploy Netgear routers in a business setting because they don't allow you to set custom DNS settings on the LAN side. This isn't an issue if you're aren't using the Netgear for DHCP versus a server, since the server can pass itself as primary DNS for domain joined PCs...

But I digress because this is a home network, no domain controller, no server. Factor in that it works on the laptop, and that further throws a money wrench into the works.

I said all that to say, I'm confused about the "why," but at this point, I'd likely set an IP reservation in the router for your PC so it always gets the same IP, and just keep using the IP method.

Glad to get it mostly sorted, but this is going to keepe up tonight thinking about why 😂
Old 05-30-2022, 08:40 AM   #34
Sound asleep

I have a very similar problem, except my other laptop doesn't work either, and using the IP rather than URL didn't help.

Just got new internet service. I think there must be some setting in the router preventing connection, but I'm not sure what it could be.

Do I need to setup port forwarding? Or, idk. Maybe port 8080 is blocked? How can I find a port that will for sure work?
Old 05-31-2022, 10:11 AM   #35
mykrobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
I have a very similar problem, except my other laptop doesn't work either, and using the IP rather than URL didn't help.

Just got new internet service. I think there must be some setting in the router preventing connection, but I'm not sure what it could be.

Do I need to setup port forwarding? Or, idk. Maybe port 8080 is blocked? How can I find a port that will for sure work?
Are you using Windows or Mac? Do you have your own router, or is it ISP provided? And by chance is the ISP a cell based provider?

If it's a Windows PC, my first thought, since the ISP change is a factor, is that Windows sees this as a new connection and may have reset its network profile to "Public" which would block incoming connections through the software firewall.

If it's a cell provider, in many cases, "hotspot" type routers do not allow local traffic to see each other by default.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:11 PM   #36
Sound asleep

Quote:
Are you using Windows or Mac? Do you have your own router, or is it ISP provided? And by chance is the ISP a cell based provider?

If it's a Windows PC, my first thought, since the ISP change is a factor, is that Windows sees this as a new connection and may have reset its network profile to "Public" which would block incoming connections through the software firewall.

If it's a cell provider, in many cases, "hotspot" type routers do not allow local traffic to see each other by default.
Router is ISP provided. I do however have full access to it.

Main thing I'd like to connect is an android phone. This phone did work with the remote on this same laptop where I have reaper, both on my prior network, and also on another network. The laptop with reaper on it, is Windows 10. I tried connecting via Desktop hard wired to router, laptop connected via wifi, and neither of these worked. Got the same results, it would tell me "success!" and then fail to load the actual remote screen. If I try to log onto the same reaper setup from chrome that's on the laptop where reaper is installed, that works flawlessly.

Quote:
"If it's a Windows PC, my first thought, since the ISP change is a factor, is that Windows sees this as a new connection and may have reset its network profile to "Public" which would block incoming connections through the software firewall."
This is a good suggestion.

EDIT: That was it, you nailed it! Thanks!

I wish I would have read your whole comment, and tried that before replying all of that lol. But I'm really happy it works!

I thought that may help me with my mac connecting to the network problems also, but alas, that still doesn't work lol.

Thanks again!