Old 09-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #1
rbhudson47
Human being with feelings

Default Rendered video file has no audio

I added a media item to a track, edited the track and then both the audio and video play back fine in Reaper. I render the project and play the rendered file in VLC Video Player. The video plays but there is no audio. I then add the rendered file to another track. The video plays but there is no waveform in the audio track. What am I doing wrong?
rbhudson47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
SonicAxiom

We might need a few more details about your OS and the rendering settings. In the meantime, you could render just the audio as a separate wave file, convert it to M4A or OPUS using this (or even just use the wave file, depending on the format/container of the video you have already rendered) and then use Avidemux or mkvtoolnix to combine (mux) the video with the separately rendered audio.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
profquad

Could you screenshot what your render window looks like right before you start?
profquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
rbhudson47

Default Render Window

Here is the render window you asked for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Render-Window.jpg (17.1 KB, 154 views)
Old 09-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
SonicAxiom

Hard to discern anything on that screenshot, LOL!

Old 09-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #6
rbhudson47

Default Here is another image of my render screen

Hopefully you can read this one. By the way, how do you guys get a decent size image that is only 64k or less? I'm using photoshop and to get it reduced in size and Kb and this is about the best I can do. Photoshop said this file was 62.3Kb but Reaper says is 49.1Kb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Render 3.jpg (49.1 KB, 132 views)
Old 09-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #7
SonicAxiom

I'm using XnView, XnConvert or Riot to shrink file sizes with no perceivable deterioration. Riot has a great automatic "compress to desired file size" feature. Lately, I'm tending to use WebP image format more and more. It can achieve significantly lower file sizes than jpg or png while retaining very good quality. I downloaded your second (still very small) image and was able to get its size below 40 kB using WebP - yet after resizing it to 735x850 pixels!

For screenshots, you should rather use PNG right away to get large screenshots with file sizes below 50 kB. I'd recommend using "Faststone Capture v. 5.3" which is the last free version for personal use. "Greenshot" is also a nice app for this.

I was actually having the same issue that you are having recently (no audio in a rendered video file). It has happened several times and I can't find the cause. It has worked until a few days ago and then suddenly it stopped working. As a workaround, I'm rendering the audio alone after rendering the video and then use mkvtoolnix to combine (mux) the rendered video and the audio into one mkv video file without recompression.

Edit: Your rendering settings seem to be correct. However, rendering h.264 @ 95 % quality is overkill (36 is perfectly fine) and I'd set the resampling quality to something like "HQ" just in case.

Last edited by SonicAxiom; 09-23-2020 at 08:52 PM.
SonicAxiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #8
rbhudson47

Default Thank you SonicAxiom

I'll try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
I'm using XnView, XnConvert or Riot to shrink file sizes with no perceivable deterioration. Riot has a great automatic "compress to desired file size" feature. Lately, I'm tending to use WebP image format more and more. It can achieve significantly lower file sizes than jpg or png while retaining very good quality. I downloaded your second (still very small) image and was able to get its size below 40 kB using WebP - yet after resizing it to 735x850 pixels!

For screenshots, you should rather use PNG right away to get large screenshots with file sizes below 50 kB. I'd recommend using "Faststone Capture v. 5.3" which is the last free version for personal use. "Greenshot" is also a nice app for this.

I was actually having the same issue that you are having recently (no audio in a rendered video file). It has happened several times and I can't find the cause. It has worked until a few days ago and then suddenly it stopped working. As a workaround, I'm rendering the audio alone after rendering the video and then use mkvtoolnix to combine (mux) the rendered video and the audio into one mkv video file without recompression.

Edit: Your rendering settings seem to be correct. However, rendering h.264 @ 95 % quality is overkill (36 is perfectly fine) and I'd set the resampling quality to something like "HQ" just in case.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #9
rbhudson47

Default About png

I was using png but the file sizes were even bigger than jpg. I'll try Riot with png in the future.

Quote:

Old 09-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #10
akademie

Hi rbhudson47,
change audio codec from AAC (it is not possible to encode AAC using FFMPEG library AFAIK, because of licensing issues or whatever).
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #11
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
Hi rbhudson47,
change audio codec from AAC (it is not possible to encode AAC using FFMPEG library AFAIK, because of licensing issues or whatever).
rendering video incl. AAC is absolute fine. I've done this for years. Unless something has changed recently.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #12
akademie

Quote:
rendering video incl. AAC is absolute fine. I've done this for years. Unless something has changed recently.

On Windows? Using FFMPEG?

Didn't work for me, but it's long ago when I gave up, maybe situation changed from that times. I am sure I even posted about the problem here in forum and was told that it is not possible, that's why I tried to share the info.
I will try that later today to check how is it now

EDIT:
OK, I've found it. It was AC3 (5.1) what I was asking about 6 years ago in this thread:
5.1 AC3 directly from Reaper?

So sorry for misleading information about AAC, though I will have to try to save as AAC to be sure it works, but now, where to get those FFMPEG full libraries (32-bit) when the webpage was closed?

Last edited by akademie; 09-25-2020 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Correction of info
Old 09-25-2020, 01:31 PM   #13
Fabian

If you pull the rendered file into Reaper, right-click on it and select Source properties... what does it say?

Note also: from your render dialog it looks like you only render 24.5 seconds. Is that as it should be?
Old 09-25-2020, 01:35 PM   #14
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
<snip>

where to get those FFMPEG full libraries (32-bit) when the webpage was closed?
There are some links here https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=241818
Old 09-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #15
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
I will look at it, thank you Fabian.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:03 PM   #16
rbhudson47

Default Source Properties

Attached are the source properties.

Quote:
If you pull the rendered file into Reaper, right-click on it and select Source properties... what does it say?

Note also: from your render dialog it looks like you only render 24.5 seconds. Is that as it should be?
Attached Images
File Type: png Source Properties2.png (49.8 KB, 100 views)
Old 09-25-2020, 06:09 PM   #17
rbhudson47

Default Length of rendered file

I only rendered a short bit of the original to see if it had audio. So yes, 24.5 seconds is the right length.

Quote:

Old 09-26-2020, 02:16 AM   #18
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhudson47 View Post
Attached are the source properties.
OK, doesn't seem to be anything strange there, except what we already knew that there is no audio in the file.

This is all very strange... do you have any FX on the audio track?

And you are sure that the audio track sends to the master, and not directly to some output bypassing the master?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbhudson47 View Post
I only rendered a short bit of the original to see if it had audio. So yes, 24.5 seconds is the right length.
Well, your source properties say 23.5 seconds, so that source was not rendered from those settings, but I take it that you have made several tries.

Except for those questions above, the only thing I can think of is for you to post the *.rpp (without media) and someone can maybe get something out of that. It looks like you are doing everything the way it should be done, and it should work.

Interesting mystery...
Old 09-26-2020, 12:59 PM   #19
rbhudson47

Default Routing Matrix

Fabian,
I'm pretty much a newbie and am not sure the answer to your question about sends so I'm attaching an image of my routing matrix.
Thanks for your help,
Robert

Quote:
OK, doesn't seem to be anything strange there, except what we already knew that there is no audio in the file.

This is all very strange... do you have any FX on the audio track?

And you are sure that the audio track sends to the master, and not directly to some output bypassing the master?

Well, your source properties say 23.5 seconds, so that source was not rendered from those settings, but I take it that you have made several tries.

Except for those questions above, the only thing I can think of is for you to post the *.rpp (without media) and someone can maybe get something out of that. It looks like you are doing everything the way it should be done, and it should work.

Interesting mystery...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Routing Matrix.jpg (43.1 KB, 110 views)
Old 10-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #20
uncleswede

@rbhudson47...

Robert,

I have solved this 'video with no audio' issue on my backup Reaper laptop. It may help you with your problem ...

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...59&postcount=4
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote