Old 09-24-2020, 05:16 AM   #1
martmix
Human being with feelings

Default windows 10

im not really folowing this but,

do you guys,gals know if there will be a new windows version coming soon??

i do really think that windows 10 is the best OS ever..tought
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:31 AM   #2
nicholas
Scribe

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a vague recollection of Microsoft saying (when Win 10 was launched) that Win 10 will be the last major version of Windows ever. If so, from here into the future we can just look forward to a never ending series of updates.
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:33 AM   #3
Coachz

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...20h2-right-now
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:36 AM   #4
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a vague recollection of Microsoft saying (when Win 10 was launched) that Win 10 will be the last major version of Windows ever. If so, from here into the future we can just look forward to a never ending series of updates.
yes that would be cool that way..

thank you Nicolas
Old 09-24-2020, 05:37 AM   #5
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
thank you Coachz,will read the link you give me
Old 09-24-2020, 05:40 AM   #6
swetajoshi

Default windows

Recently Microsoft launched the new version(2004) for the Windows 10. i saw on the internet that some of the sites say Microsoft will launch a new version of windows i.e windows 11 on November 2020, but I am not sure about this.
swetajoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:53 AM   #7
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetajoshi View Post
Recently Microsoft launched the new version(2004) for the Windows 10. i saw on the internet that some of the sites say Microsoft will launch a new version of windows i.e windows 11 on November 2020, but I am not sure about this.
thx swetajoshi

is this version improve any perfomance\stability ?? or it's just internet protection update??

right now my computer win10 run really good with reaper
Old 09-24-2020, 06:27 AM   #8
xpander

The 2004 version has some problems which are listed here.

I noticed the updates available note few days ago and decided to do it. After a good long while downloading and installing files, I got a warning screen about failed install and fix being done immediately. Apparently that live fix removed at least some of the updates and turned my OS back to version 1909 where it was before. Nothing wrong with that though, 1909 runs fine here.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:37 AM   #9
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
The 2004 version has some problems which are listed here.

I noticed the updates available note few days ago and decided to do it. After a good long while downloading and installing files, I got a warning screen about failed install and fix being done immediately. Apparently that live fix removed at least some of the updates and turned my OS back to version 1909 where it was before. Nothing wrong with that though, 1909 runs fine here.
cool thx xpander
Old 09-24-2020, 06:40 AM   #10
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swetajoshi View Post
Most likely not. See this:

https://www.pctonics.com/blog/news/windows-11-concept/

(Spoiler alert: don't believe everything you read on the internet! )
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #11
Steviebone

I feel unnecessarily compelled at this moment to reiterate my dedicated aversion to Windows 10. It's constant need to update is a dealbreaker for me. Especially since a good percentage of their updates wreak havoc for millions of users including BSOD and no boot issues. I don't need the headache. But then I keep a closed system and Win7 works fine for me. Eventually plug-in developers will abandon installation support for Win7 and at that point I guess I'll be forced to move on.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #12
lizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
I feel unnecessarily compelled at this moment to reiterate my dedicated aversion to Windows 10. It's constant need to update is a dealbreaker for me. Especially since a good percentage of their updates wreak havoc for millions of users including BSOD and no boot issues. I don't need the headache. But then I keep a closed system and Win7 works fine for me. Eventually plug-in developers will abandon installation support for Win7 and at that point I guess I'll be forced to move on.
I'm a win 7 loyalist as well . And an off line fan.
Im currently building an off line ,trimmed back, never to be activated , version of 1909 w10 .
Its going ok so far but no real advantage to me at this time .
There is so much of win 10 that is like the apple i phone ..not in a good way.

It seems possible to run the basic system ,with all the updates and privacy invasion rubbish gone.
My focus is off line daw only . No network ..as far as is possible .
W10 does have a good range of drivers ,ill give it that .
I had to use the legacy 1394 firewire driver ( a well known issue )but my ufx (firewire mode) is working flawlessly.
I imagine somebody will release "TRIM10" or the like ,meantime its worth exploring the options.

If win10 was truly the last version then why does it have a number ?

Last edited by lizzard; 09-24-2020 at 07:09 PM.
lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #13
randall7

Quote:
You can permanently disable Windows 10 updates if desired. I did that to a mini PC I have running without a monitor, so it never updates (it runs World Community Grid projects).

I have actually grown to love Windows 10 (and I have a legal version of Windows 7 on a disc, no longer use it). I tweaked my Windows 10 x64 with some software from Stardock to make Windows 10 look and act the way I want. I also use lots of opensource software. I have Windows 10 running Reaper and it runs rock solid, no BSOD, a great system for composing on Reaper 6 along with just about all the software VSTs from Spitfire Audio etc. Heck the other day just for kicks I installed Linux into Windows 10 using the WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux), then installed the X server (Linux graphics server), then installed several Linux GUI applications like Firefox, Emacs, xterm terminal, just for kicks (not a virtual machine, this was embedded in Windows 10); but I realized why, because everything I had in Linux is now in Windows 10 including opensource software and the bash command line shell, etc. So I deleted Linux from Windows, removed bash too.

Last edited by randall7; 09-24-2020 at 07:19 PM.
randall7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:24 PM   #14
wildschwein

W10 has been fine for me. I still run Pro Tools 8 which was compiled for XP. It’s quite amazing how backwards compatible it is. Pro Tools 8 stopped working with the Mac OSX versions in 2013/14.
wildschwein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:35 AM   #15
Coachz

Do a fresh install of windows 10, make backup drive images and do updates every 7 days if you like. Win10 even found all my motherboard drivers saving me having to install them. It also fixed my DVD driver so it's no longer a problem with latencymon.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:27 AM   #16
martmix

Quote:
Win10 even found all my motherboard drivers saving me having to install them. .
that's what win10 is really good for drivers,videocard,motherboard..ect
Old 09-26-2020, 12:34 AM   #17
bolgwrad

Personally, I'm holding on till Windows 13 comes out.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:28 AM   #18
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Personally, I'm holding on till Windows 13 comes out.
You forgot the /s
Old 09-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #19
rncwalker

I prefer to have my Reaper PC on the network, as I use the network to save backups to my server (2019 Server) and use other PC's that work with reaper (MIDI lan).

Just setup your router to not allow your "DAW" not to use the internet and allow anything from the internet to see your "DAW".

I also never update any of my PC myself, that has caused problems.
Let windows 10 do that on it's own, if the install fails and it resets your PC back to where it was. It will not update until it has a fix to the problem you were having......But that still may fail at some point, drivers for my old sound card would no longer work and the update worked.

Microsoft is slowly removing support for old hardware at each new update.

My old PS2 keyboard stopped working, no longer supported.

Same thing is happening on Drivers for your hard drive support on motherboards.

I have many DVDs of windows 10 installs (1803, 1809, 1903....)

On some of my PC's windows 10 (2004) will not install will not see any hard drive and if I use my oldest Install (1709) I get a window stating that that it will not install (Expired). but trying 1809 work perfectly well, then I let windows up date on its own. It eventually gets to 1903 and has stayed their.

I do tech work and need to know the latest OS, so I did not stay on windows 7. Eventually you will need to move on or stay with the old OS and software that works with it.

I do not know of anyone that is still DOS or windows 95...

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #20
Coachz

My box stays on the internet for the last 10 years and no problems so far.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #21
rncwalker

Ya,

The internet is like real life,
If you go into the wrong neighborhood, you are going to have problems.

Same for the Internet, watch what sites you visit and be careful of where you are downloading and what you are downloading.

FREE sometimes means that you also have a surprise included.

Always check the download for virus and malware before installing, and I also check if anything else was installed (after I installed the software that I downloaded), that should not be there. I uninstall that program and run a check on my system.

Robert
Old 09-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #22
rncwalker

Quote:
You forgot the /s

Do you mean the next version of Windows will be called "/s"

We had.....
XP
Vista
....?

Robert
Old 09-26-2020, 11:37 AM   #23
Aeolian

I have a win10 laptop, a win7 laptop, a winxp tower and a few Linux USB boot drives.

The win7 rig gets the most work, running Reaper and Pro Tools.
The xp rig runs all my old software, and gets almost as much usage as the win7 rig. Ironically, I'm using this one more and more these days

The win10 rig is like a diseased leper locked under the stairs.
I use it to dump pics from my phone, Office type stuff, and whatever I don't really want to subject my other setups to.

Its a shame, because win10 really does have a significant lead over the others.

Sometime very soon, I'll get a somewhat modern pc to replace my old ones, and I'll be forced to deal with it
Old 09-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #24
rncwalker

About 2 years ago I also had
XP, 7 and Windows 10

Windows 10 is actually really good....., But I do not like the "Forced updates"
Both Microsoft and Apple really one in the same, by that I mean, All they care about the money that they can get from us.

I remember a time when Apple would give you their OS for free, if you had a MAC. that's because it would not run on anything else.

I also remember when Office was about $75 and now....(I understand inflation, but they seam to over do it)

If it gets any worse, Linux is where I will go.

Robert
Old 09-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #25
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rncwalker View Post
I prefer to have my Reaper PC on the network, as I use the network to save backups to my server (2019 Server) and use other PC's that work with reaper (MIDI lan).

Just setup your router to not allow your "DAW" not to use the internet and allow anything from the internet to see your "DAW".
This will not fully protect you unless you also block other machines on the LAN that are connected to the Internet from seeing your DAW. I keep my DAW disconnected from everything except while transferring files. And when I do on occasion transfer files, I make sure both machines are disconnected from the Internet and can only see each other.

I use a program called net limiter for this purpose. It allows me to keep a couple of buttons on the screen controlling access to the computer from either the LAN or the Internet or both. There are other ways to accomplish this but using this program allows me to do it effortlessly. I never found an easy way using Windows alone to accomplish this with just a single button press that is always on the screen. I'm not saying there isn't one but this program makes it very convenient. Of course the program has a whole bunch of other features I don't even bother to use. It does keep interesting statistics though about all of your connections which can help you with all sorts of issues.

But if you block your DAW from the Internet but still have it connected to the LAN while other machines on the LAN are connected to the Internet anyone that gains access to that machine is going to be able to get access to your DAW.

Quote:

...if the install fails and it resets your PC back to where it was. It will not update until it has a fix to the problem you were having......But that still may fail at some point, drivers for my old sound card would no longer work and the update worked.
Really? I have corporate clients that have seen their entire corporate network go down after a Windows middle of the night update only to come to work the following morning to have 100+unbootable machines. I don't trust Windows 10 update service at all. You're constantly installing updates to fix things that don't even apply to your machine or the programs that you are using. It's like using a hammer on a thumbtack.

If your DAW is working why would you want to do anything that might break it?

Quote:

Microsoft is slowly removing support for old hardware at each new update.

My old PS2 keyboard stopped working, no longer supported.

Same thing is happening on Drivers for your hard drive support on motherboards.
This is what I'm talking about. Microsoft decides when some piece of hardware you own and depend on becomes obsolete. And you don't know about it until you do an update and your machine no longer works. It's bad enough that some manufacturers don't keep updating their drivers for newer operating systems, I can understand that because at some point the costs of maintaining support become prohibitive. But I want to have control over when I decide to make that change. Not have it forced on me involuntarily and without warning.

Not all that long ago I had a whole slew of MIDI patchbays and interfaces that worked just fine. They were managing multiple computers including 4 8x8's, a couple of 4x4 and two or three 2x2's. There was also a MIDI merger or two thrown in there.

After doing an update, no more MIDI. This meant that I had to choose between the update and replacing thousands of dollars worth of gear. The manufacturer, in this case MIDI sport, was not even aware that their drivers had been trashed by the latest Windows update until after the updates were circulating, let alone have a fix prepared for it. And their response was basically, cool, I guess you'll have to go buy all new gear and then pointed me to their latest versions of what I already had.

And I have read articles by developers who claim that Microsoft intentionally dropped support for their equipment/drivers solely because they didn't want to ante up for a Microsoft certification fee. What? You don't want to pay us money for something that you developed? Then we will just make it so your product doesn't work in Windows anymore. But of course if you opt for the Microsoft certification which cost a pretty penny, then you have no problems.

Quote:
I do tech work and need to know the latest OS, so I did not stay on windows 7. Eventually you will need to move on or stay with the old OS and software that works with it.

I do not know of anyone that is still DOS or windows 95...
Well now you're talking 20+ years. But at least you can plan for migration when you are in control and you can decide how and when to make those changes.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:25 PM   #26
lizzard

Quote:
This will not fully protect you unless you also block other machines on the LAN that are connected to the Internet from seeing your DAW. I keep my DAW disconnected from everything except while transferring files. And when I do on occasion transfer files, I make sure both machines are disconnected from the Internet and can only see each other.

I use a program called net limiter for this purpose. It allows me to keep a couple of buttons on the screen controlling access to the computer from either the LAN or the Internet or both. There are other ways to accomplish this but using this program allows me to do it effortlessly. I never found an easy way using Windows alone to accomplish this with just a single button press that is always on the screen. I'm not saying there isn't one but this program makes it very convenient. Of course the program has a whole bunch of other features I don't even bother to use. It does keep interesting statistics though about all of your connections which can help you with all sorts of issues.

But if you block your DAW from the Internet but still have it connected to the LAN while other machines on the LAN are connected to the Internet anyone that gains access to that machine is going to be able to get access to your DAW.

Really? I have corporate clients that have seen their entire corporate network go down after a Windows middle of the night update only to come to work the following morning to have 100+unbootable machines. I don't trust Windows 10 update service at all. You're constantly installing updates to fix things that don't even apply to your machine or the programs that you are using. It's like using a hammer on a thumbtack.

If your DAW is working why would you want to do anything that might break it?

This is what I'm talking about. Microsoft decides when some piece of hardware you own and depend on becomes obsolete. And you don't know about it until you do an update and your machine no longer works. It's bad enough that some manufacturers don't keep updating their drivers for newer operating systems, I can understand that because at some point the costs of maintaining support become prohibitive. But I want to have control over when I decide to make that change. Not have it forced on me involuntarily and without warning.

Not all that long ago I had a whole slew of MIDI patchbays and interfaces that worked just fine. They were managing multiple computers including 4 8x8's, a couple of 4x4 and two or three 2x2's. There was also a MIDI merger or two thrown in there.

After doing an update, no more MIDI. This meant that I had to choose between the update and replacing thousands of dollars worth of gear. The manufacturer, in this case MIDI sport, was not even aware that their drivers had been trashed by the latest Windows update until after the updates were circulating, let alone have a fix prepared for it. And their response was basically, cool, I guess you'll have to go buy all new gear and then pointed me to their latest versions of what I already had.

And I have read articles by developers who claim that Microsoft intentionally dropped support for their equipment/drivers solely because they didn't want to ante up for a Microsoft certification fee. What? You don't want to pay us money for something that you developed? Then we will just make it so your product doesn't work in Windows anymore. But of course if you opt for the Microsoft certification which cost a pretty penny, then you have no problems.

Well now you're talking 20+ years. But at least you can plan for migration when you are in control and you can decide how and when to make those changes.
This is cartel behavior,but it is most interesting how people will defend their victim status taking responsibility for their decision when no such decision was ever made by them other than to have the latest and greatest and have "security" updates.
Ironically its their own security and privacy which is being exploited by a third party on a machine that they own and paid for ...
When identity theft is the real aim of internet crime we hand this over to a company and "AGREE" to their non understandable and never read term and conditions .
I would never ever put any real information into such a device but many just don't see it or don't care .

strange times indeed!
lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote