Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 10-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Brx
Human being with feelings

Default What's the best drum software VST to start with?

I usually play bass and synth, but I need some drums in my tracks.
I'm interested in drum kits and drum machines.

Brx
Brx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
EpicSounds

For 'real' sounding drums there's EZ-Drummer and Addictive Drums.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Lopez

Well, Reaper has no good sequencer, that's why I bought Fxpansion GEIST, which works extremely good with Reaper at all.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
For 'real' sounding drums there's EZ-Drummer and Addictive Drums.
Don't forget BFD!

Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
viscofisy

Anyone foolish enough to say that
anything to do with DAWs
"sounds good"

is looking for 30 pages of arguing - there's no quick answer.

If you

*own high end mics,soundcard,AD converters

*have a fully sound treated studio

*demand the very best detail quality for a real pro sound

THEN hire a drummer,or research all the drum softwares for a month.

Otherwise,if you

*want a decent sounding all-round software that doesn't need it's own hard drive

*that you can have fun tweaking till the cows come home

*that comes with acoustic and electronic presets as standard

*that doesn't have 500 snare drums to audition before you even start

THEN

consider Addictive Drums.

It comes with a choice of free "Adpak" for €179.

It's even cheaper at audiodeluxe.com (maybe $129?)

I got it last night (paid the dearer price )

I was using BFD Eco.

Eco is good too.Just doesn't have the options,isn't so well laid out,isnt addictive.You'll wish you got AD instead.

or I'll eat my chinese condenser.

Edit:here's a "review" that's a nice overview of AD:
http://tasherre.com/site/plugins/201...-drums-review/

also see this recent thread on AD for other people's views :

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=111378

Last edited by viscofisy; 10-06-2012 at 12:22 PM.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
G-Sun

Just download Addictive Drums demo (really usable) and see if it fits your needs.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Brx

Yeah, I'll give it a try with Addictive Drums, thanks... and what do you guys think about drum machines?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Brx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
Well, Reaper has no good sequencer, that's why I bought Fxpansion GEIST, which works extremely good with Reaper at all.
I watched some videos on YT for GEIST, and it's really looking good, must try!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Sasha

I think it depends on which style you have in mind.

Metal, Jazz, Rock, Pop, etc... lot of kits are specifically designed for a certain genre, or just sound better for a specific genre.

If you are looking for an all purpose package, I would suggest Steven Slate.
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Brx

Well, I'm interested in New Wave, Electronic, Dance and Synthpop music...

Hmm, where I can find electronic drums VST or something like that?
Old 10-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brx View Post

I would say Geist, that should cover the sounds you are looking for.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Tedwood

For "real" drums that are very tweakable, AD.

Sometimes a drum loop sequencer might be the very thing.

Fruity Loops (Fl Studio), started out like that. Great fun sequencer, but it's grown some, and I don't like the way they lure you in with demo plugins, that are add on's. So I'm done with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brx View Post

I always say don't buy anything unless you can demo it free. Then demo everything you can find. You don't want to buy stuff only to find there was something that met your needs better.

Last edited by Tedwood; 10-06-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Tedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #13
ivansc

for a starter to just check drum romplers out, download ALL the free demos and if you feel like spending a LITTLE dough, there is usually an offer on one or other of the starter packs.

I own just about all of them apart from Geist, Addictive Drums and Jamstix, but have tried them all.

one of my current favourites is a little cheapie called Splitsticks from I think Analog Drums.com?

Jamstix I could not get on with but if you just want some automated drums "in the style of" I gather it is very effective.

The AD addicts rave about how good and different it is, but to my ears and for my purposes, there isn't enough difference between any of the drum romplers to claim that one is THAT much better than the others.

FWIW I started with a free version of EZDrummer, progressed to Superior Drummer2 and it has been downhill ever since!
And I have to say that for instant "bung it in the track and it works" appeal, Steven Slate Drums 4 takes a lot of beating.

Try em before you spend any money unless you fall in love with something cheap like I seem to have done with Popsticks and Sliptsticks.

P.S. Both pretty useless if you are into metal!

Last edited by ivansc; 10-07-2012 at 01:44 AM. Reason: karnt tipe
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
Redronnie1963

Default Best Drum VST?

Do you want to spend $250 straight away?

If not, why not try some freebies first, and see what you are most comfortable with.

FREEBIES
The Free Addictive Drums demo has nice sounds and a good selection of demo kits and some beats (midi files) but a basic set up (Kick, Snare, Cymbal and Hi Hat only). Worth a listen. I found it a bit fiddly to set up at the beginning.

Drumcore FREE has a big library of loops and patterns 1.5gb - you can drag and drop the patterns (Midi and Audio and Rex Loops) into Reaper and make a backing track very quickly. There's a choice of 2 drum kits (Rock & Hip Hop) - Great if you don't mind a big download.
http://www.sonomawireworks.com/drumc.../#DrumCoreFREE

I found it easier to set up than Addictive Drums (it took a while for me to figure out where the demo presets were in AD). More patterns than AD Demo too.

MDrummer Small (Melda Productions) - good choice of beats and nice kit sound, demo is worth a look - I found Drumcore a little easier to use.

GTG Drum Sampler II - a modest freebie and popular and tiny download (no loops or patterns included though) Very basic but will play your midi drum patterns on a track. Limited by only one kit sound.

If you get Computer Music Magazine there's a basic mono sampling drum machine called SR-202 (a bit like Reason's Redrum) and an electronic kit called CM-505 which is quite fun - both FREE on the cover disc every month. The CM-505 has a novel electronic sound and is worth tracking down. The SR-202's sound are pretty basic (not a patch on AD), though you can add your own mono samples if need be.

$50 BUYS YOU...
Another couple worth a look for a few bucks are Cakewalk's Studio Instruments SI-Drums ($50 with strings, piano and bass too) and SessionDrummer2 also for $50. I recently got SessionDrummer 2 for $10 in a sale but its now gone back up in price. Both Cakewalk drum machines come with Midi files and a selection of nice Drum Kits. Watch some demos on YouTube and see what you think.

For all round ease of use and choice of loops (which you can export) and its handy drag and drop feature I would start with Drumcore FREE.

Other alternatives could be:

1) UVI Workstation (FREE) which will play several drum loops / Rex files at once. Great if you have access to a FREE Loopmasters library or similar. You can click and drag drum loops / Rex files into it. Not sure how you could sequence a whole track with it on, (you would probably drag the ones you like into Reaper as you go along) but great for auditioning loops and hearing how several play together. The latest version (v2.0.7) wouldn't work on Vista 32 bit but the previous version (v2.0.5) does.

2) Oops. It's NOT a VST BUT...
Acoustica Beatcraft ($40) is a standalone sample based drum machine which is very easy to program but won't run inside Reaper - You would need to create your own patterns, render to audio first and import them into Reaper. OK if you don't mind programming your own patterns, but I mention it as I find it the easiest to program of the lot and you can build sequences with it quickly that you can jam along to. Comes with a good selection of samples in Ogg format. Note, there's no midi with it - it won't play midi patterns. It's Audio (wav/ogg) only.

Finally:

3) PERCUSSION LOOPS
If you want some excellent percussion (Bongos, shakers, and mixed percussion) sounds to compliment your drums, grab some FREE loops from esoundsz (from the freesoundz page) they have a great FREE pack for download called the RAW PERCUSSION PACK in Apple (.aiff), Rex (.rx2) and Wave (.wav) format.

http://www.esoundz.com/

You will need to open an account with esoundz to download the freebies.

Last edited by Redronnie1963; 10-09-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Typo, Added Sonoma Link.
Redronnie1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #15
Sheppola

Default Jamstix

All the songs in my Reverbnation sig link are done using,"Jamstix".Hard learning curve but well worth the journey.It can host other kits as well and has a great support forum,

http://www.rayzoon.com/jamstix3.html

http://rayzoon2.com/forum/index.php
Sheppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 AM   #16
Redtech

Google lmms. Kind of a poor mans FL Studio. I use it for all my electronic drum sound needs and am quite pleased. It is also a stand alone so you'll have to create then export to reaper.
Redtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #17
Brx

Wow!

Thanks guys for all this information, much appreciated!

Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #18
Sound asleep

for me, it depends on how you want to program your drums, or if you want to play them, what style(s) you want to make, and how much control you want over your drum sounds.

for me, battery 3 is great for programming.

the only thing i wish about battery 3 would be that there would be a step sequencer built in, and you could export midi from that into your DAW like how iDrums from izotope works.

but for me, if you are just starting out, and want to grow, and have a lot of options, and a lot of versatility, then the best is komplete 8.

you get so much for a good price, including battery 3.

if you just want some drums, just to have drums, and mess around a little, then something else might be better, less expensive, but komplete 8, to me, is a nice complete first step. you get everything you'd want for a good while with that, from digital stuff, to orchestra, to instruments, to drums, to guitar effects, it's a great first package to get for instruments.

what's cool about battery 3 is you can make large kits, there is an abundance of different kits and sounds you can use, there are many sound shaping tools you can use on your sounds, and there are many articulations you can use, like rolls and stuff like that which is cool too. it's also quite easy to use, i'd recommend checking out a youtube video tutorial first to get to know it real quick, but to just use it is real easy, and then you have more options you can explore if you want to get more into it and have more control.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
Tedwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheppola View Post
All the songs in my Reverbnation sig link are done using,"Jamstix".Hard learning curve but well worth the journey.It can host other kits as well and has a great support forum,

http://www.rayzoon.com/jamstix3.html

http://rayzoon2.com/forum/index.php
Hey Shep!

I was wondering if you'd gone somewhere. Didn't here from you in a long time

Glad to see you are still here dude
Old 10-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #20

Hm...
No one here don't say a word about ReaSamplomatic5000? Strange...

If you like drums machine (not real acoustic drums!), than Samplomatic5000 is like having Battery already in your Reaper setup. And is good and fast to work with. Google Goldbaby and you will discover a great place for good retro drum machines, and some packages are for free. Very nice sounds IMO.
You can create your own "unique" sounds with a synth and load the results in S5000.

I always like drum machines more than acoustic kits but this is just me.
I also think it's possible to map an acoustic kit with ReaSamplomatic5000. Somehow I feel it's a sad story that till this day a simple acoustic drum kit with some layered samples wasn't already mapped for Reaper sampler by a dedicated person. I don't have the tools for making this dream possible, but I would love to see this happened! Why third-party plugins when we could have it in Reaper? The more time I spend with sound passion, the little amount of plugins I keep in my folder tying to adjust my real needs. It's more fun doing great music with just "so little"...
Avatar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #21
jinko17

Big Mono

http://www.analoguedrums.com/details-bm.php

This is by far the best sounding, free midi drum vsti I've come across. With a fair bit of tweaking, you can get a passable sound out of these.

If you're looking to shell out some cash, save up for Superior Drummer from Toontrack or Steven Slate Drums.
jinko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #22
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinko17 View Post
Big Mono

This is by far the best sounding, free midi drum vsti I've come across. With a fair bit of tweaking, you can get a passable sound out of these.

If you're looking to shell out some cash, save up for Superior Drummer from Toontrack or Steven Slate Drums.
i find superior drummer too advanced, and complex for mixing. i find it is by far the best for plugging a real ekit into, and has the most flexible mixing features and realistic and manageable micing arrangements, i don't find it is the best for programming for beginners.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
Vasilios

Hands down Geist
Vasilios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #24
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilios View Post
Hands down Geist
I've got GeistLite and it's pretty awesome. I may upgrade just so I can get MIDI drag & drop.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #25
jinko17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
i find superior drummer too advanced, and complex for mixing. i find it is by far the best for plugging a real ekit into, and has the most flexible mixing features and realistic and manageable micing arrangements, i don't find it is the best for programming for beginners.
I like that SDX isn't processed to Hell and back. I started off with EZX drumkit from hell and always found myself mixing around the kit, or over-processing the already over-processed samples. I guess for quick arrangements, the EZX and kits of the like are a good choice. But if someone's actually trying to learn to mix drums and build their own mixing style, I think SDX is a better place to start.

That's not to say I generally don't swap out the kick and snare with samples. I don't really like SDX kick/ snares. Amazing overhead mics though.
jinko17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #26
dlea

Default Toontracks

Check out EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer by Toontracks! I bought EZ Drummer for $69. from Amazon and the expansion packs were at $39.99 each. (depending on the day, as prices fluctuate, so if they seem higher on one day check again tomorrow.)
dlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #27
steamingbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinko17 View Post
Big Mono

Hello,

I tried the link and got some free samples that are great but didnt get a vst - have I missed something ?

Looking for a basic simple drum vst for a newbie

Bill
steamingbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:02 AM   #28
ivansc

Big Mono ( the one you are undoubtedly talking about) is a Kontakt (.nki) format sampleset with a built in Kontakt front end. If you dont own Kontakt download the free version from Native Instruments.

There are limitations with the free version byt at least you will be able to try out both Kontakt AND this free drum set.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #29
steamingbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Big Mono ( the one you are undoubtedly talking about) is a Kontakt (.nki) format sampleset with a built in Kontakt front end. If you dont own Kontakt download the free version from Native Instruments.

There are limitations with the free version byt at least you will be able to try out both Kontakt AND this free drum set.
Thanks Ivan - every little bit helps a newbie - much appreciated

Bill
steamingbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:46 AM   #30
ivansc

You might want to actually contact the Analog Drums guys - they are helpful to the point of being silly & come over as really nice.

And DO check out their splitsticks and Popsticks once you get Big Mono going.

(My family emigrated from Warrnambool to UK in the aftermath of WW1 but now most of them are back in Oz)
Old 04-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #31
prestige80

The best drum software allows you to export the sounds you create in 16 bit 44.1 WAV files, which are standard for the music industry. With this program you can amaze all DJs. In addition, the program is easy to use and the video tutorials about it can help this experience even more pleasant. Detail information: http://www.bestdrumsoftware.org/who-...drum-software/
prestige80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #32
msundh

For a free drum VST I would suggest SoftDrum LTD 12.
msundh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #33
pixeltarian

KMS drums? http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=118243

also, spillage. even the free minispillage is pretty useful:
http://www.audiospillage.com/index.php

and if no one mentioned it already, poise:
http://onesmallclue.com/poise.php

I prefer to use a sampler and just dig around for drum sounds. I don't really understand the need for big showy graphics. I just want to trigger some sounds. I can mix and futs with them with other plugins.

Sometimes I just make a drum folder, drag all my drum sounds onto tracks inside that folder, and just use the grid on reaper's sequencer. No plugin needed.
pixeltarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #34
msundh

In most cases I use a normal drum setup, then a dedicated drum VST is practical.
It is easy to setup a couple of drum kits.
If I need to use a lot of different percussions I go for ReaDrums.
The downside with samplers is that you have to tweak a lot.
Best advice is to try a lot of VSTs and samplers and try to use differnt solutions/VSTs for different situations. Avoid settle with one solution.
msundh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #35
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
This is IMO the best free drum rompler around, with the added benefit of encouraging you to learn how to properly process and mix drums. Pipe should feel incredibly proud to have created by far the most detailed and comprehensive free drum library available, the amount of work he put into it is staggering.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:16 AM   #36
prestige80

Default Best drum software

Music and beats have become integral part of life. Many people even narrate and interpret the essence of music as a factor of relief to their soul. At first, before the invention of computers and technology; the music industry was solely dependent on physical instruments and individual talent. But now, the world of music has explored new ways and new destiny to mark another milestone in near future.

The art of music isn’t only dependent on individual’s talent but the ultimate finalized version is also dependent on the quality of physical instruments as well as the software used to mix it all. There are many constituents of music but here the main concerned topic is creation of beats with the help of best drum software. http://www.bestdrumsoftware.org/enjo...drum-software/
Old 05-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #37
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestige80 View Post
Music and beats have become integral part of life blah blah blahbrgnfg
Spambots are achieving sentience and start posting on topic. Surely beats all the kitchen and Indian marriage counseling ads.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #38
smueske

Quote:
Spambots are achieving sentience and start posting on topic.
Ha ha ha!
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:07 AM   #39
Dimaension X

So this may or not fit into this category, but I was fiddling with my own modified version of ReaDrums, using the free BigMonoDrums samples, and I discovered that you can now load all of the multi-samples of a drum into an instance of ReaSamplOmatic5000 and it will recognize the different velocity levels.

This REALLY opens up new worlds of potentially very realistic drum tracks using free multi-sampled drums. Anyone else try this yet?
Dimaension X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #40
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaension X View Post
So this may or not fit into this category, but I was fiddling with my own modified version of ReaDrums, using the free BigMonoDrums samples, and I discovered that you can now load all of the multi-samples of a drum into an instance of ReaSamplOmatic5000 and it will recognize the different velocity levels.

This REALLY opens up new worlds of potentially very realistic drum tracks using free multi-sampled drums. Anyone else try this yet?
Humm, did you check out my big mono thread? I's all multi samples.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=132576
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote