Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 03-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
Airal
Banned

Default Auto group items on grouped tracks

I routinely need to record 3 tracks at once(stereo + DI(just in case the stereo is fubar)). While it would be nice if reaper could support recording an odd number of tracks > 1 as it does for even multi-channel recording, the solution I've come up with is to record the 3rd track as a mono track then group the items. (This is to make sure they are always in sync)

Is it possible to use track grouping to add something like: "Auto group track items when recording"? Which basically would groups simultaneously recorded items without having to do it manually.

Maybe there is a better way?
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #2
serr
Human being with feelings

SWS: Auto group newly recorded items

toggle it on
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
Airal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
SWS: Auto group newly recorded items

toggle it on
This is global behavior? That is, do I have to remember to toggle it when I want disjoint sets of tracks to behave differently? I'm a bit too stupid to remember when it is grouped or not ;/ I also flip the beat a round sometimes ;/
Airal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #4
not_so_new

So does anyone know where this feature went in SWS? I am using 2.9.7 but I don't see "Auto group newly recorded items" in my drop down. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
not_so_new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
Eraz

So there is still no way to do that? A script which checks if the tracks of the recorded items are grouped and then groups the items as well?
Eraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraz View Post
So there is still no way to do that? A script which checks if the tracks of the recorded items are grouped and then groups the items as well?
There might be. Sounds like a useful idea.

The SWS action doesn't follow track grouping. Items recorded together as multitrack are item-grouped. You have to have it enabled before you hit record.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
Eraz

Quote:
There might be. Sounds like a useful idea.

The SWS action doesn't follow track grouping. Items recorded together as multitrack are item-grouped. You have to have it enabled before you hit record.
Yeah the thing is you always have to think about enabling/disabling that option before recording, its not a "set and forget" scenario...
There are other things an engineer has to think about during recording, so thats not good.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
serr

Quote:
Yeah the thing is you always have to think about enabling/disabling that option before recording, its not a "set and forget" scenario...
There are other things an engineer has to think about during recording, so thats not good.
My question then is: What do you do that requires you to turn it off?

I just leave it on. So... apparently I never want to record multitrack and NOT have the recorded items grouped. If you do, then you'll just have to toggle it on/off as applies like any other feature you sometimes use and sometimes not.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #9
Eraz

Quote:
My question then is: What do you do that requires you to turn it off?

I just leave it on. So... apparently I never want to record multitrack and NOT have the recorded items grouped. If you do, then you'll just have to toggle it on/off as applies like any other feature you sometimes use and sometimes not.
While thats true what you are saying, I need multitrack recordings to be grouped by default, but not in the same group. Lets say I record an entire band simultaneously recording 2 guitar tracks, 1 vocal track, 10 drum tracks and 2 bass tracks.

Each section bass/guitar/vocals/drums, should be grouped separately, not in the same group, so when it comes to editing I can edit each section independently.

Thats why I asked if there is a way to group recorded items automatically if the respective tracks are grouped.
Hope that clears it up!
Old 12-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #10
serr

Your feature request is more than valid and that's a great example.
I was just trying to explain the current SWS feature for good or bad.
I wonder if someone has a script for that though.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #11
Eraz

Quote:
I wonder if someone has a script for that though.
I've read somewhere in this forum that grouping items and grouping tracks are two completely different operations and therefore cannot interact with each other...

But I don't really believe that...
Old 12-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #12
serr

Quote:
I've read somewhere in this forum that grouping items and grouping tracks are two completely different operations and therefore cannot interact with each other...

But I don't really believe that...
They are different operations. Those operations are what they are but there isn't any underlying thing in Reaper that actively disables doing something. Like preventing any interaction between looking at a track group and items in said tracks and grouping them. They're all Reaper functions and you can use them as you please.

Anyway, feels like something that someone might have already done. No one has popped in and volunteered yet though... Might have to roll up your sleeves.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #13
phil_flick

Default You got my vote

Definitely a good idea. I've been looking for this for ages.
Would make life so much easier.
phil_flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #14
Eraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_flick View Post
Definitely a good idea. I've been looking for this for ages.
Would make life so much easier.
Yeah its interesting that this is not "standard". Other DAWs I worked in had that feature already years/decades ago.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #15
Tone Ranger

A big +1 on this, it's one of the few things I think Reaper lacks that other DAWs have. There should be an additional checkbox in the Grouping window to group Items as well! Seems simple enough, but I know nothing about coding :-)

What would really be great is the above option for grouping items in track groups, but keep the 'auto group newly recorded items' function as well, so this could be toggled on and off as a separate way to deal with edits across everything on a recorded pass... 🤔
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:26 AM   #16
Eraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
A big +1 on this, it's one of the few things I think Reaper lacks that other DAWs have. There should be an additional checkbox in the Grouping window to group Items as well! Seems simple enough, but I know nothing about coding :-)

What would really be great is the above option for grouping items in track groups, but keep the 'auto group newly recorded items' function as well, so this could be toggled on and off as a separate way to deal with edits across everything on a recorded pass... 🤔
/agree
Old 01-31-2020, 12:37 PM   #17
joshxtra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post

What would really be great is the above option for grouping items in track groups, but keep the 'auto group newly recorded items' function as well, so this could be toggled on and off as a separate way to deal with edits across everything on a recorded pass... ��
I think REAPER just lacks Actions and Mouse Modifiers to operate on selected items - ignoring grouping
Right now you only have the option to either operate und all grouped items or only one.
I want to be able to operate only on the selected items of a group.

E.g. There is "Split items at edit or play cursor (ignoring grouping)"
but no "split items at time selection (ignoring grouping)"
And "Split selected items at time selection or edit/play cursor (ignoring grouping)" would be my preferred Action to use on Ctrl+Shift+S

There is also only the Mouse modifier option "... ignoring selection/grouping"
we need "... ignoring grouping"

Yes, I can always turn off grouping completely for this.
But often these kinds of edits are done spontaneously, so I have to disable grouping => make the edit => enable grouping again and end up doing that really often, instead of just holding a modifier.

Last edited by joshxtra; 01-31-2020 at 01:04 PM.
joshxtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #18
xav

What about this solution?
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/mus...in-Reaper.html
xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:45 PM   #19
Klangfarben

Why this isn't standard functionality at this point is really beyond me.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #20
Triode

I have mouse modifiers and my main mouse click select mapped to various scripts that is close to track-based group editing.
If you're interested I can try and share.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....08#post2267608
Old 04-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #21
Javier Robledo

I wrote something similiar here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=230881

At least for me it would be really easy if we could have it:

""" It`s like if in "Track Grouping Matrix" there were a box for enable "Autogroup Items after recording""""

Javier Robledo is offline   Reply With Quote