Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #881
Ozman
Human being with feelings

Some things I'd like to see:

1) The "Wiring" view of tracks also incorporate Groups and Track FX view as well.
- Hint: MPL's FX Wiring Script, Blender Nodes (and Group Nodes , Tracktion Waveform's Racks, Image-Line's Modular Host, Reason, etc.

2) FX Groups and the user the ability to make custom FX GUIs.
- Hint: LBX's Channel Strip
- Hint: Tracktion Waveform's Plugin Faceplates (simple, yet genius idea)
- Since appearances is something that is secondary with the native JSFX plugins, how about giving the user the ability to design fx chains with custom layouts (and macros)?
- FX chains can then preserve not only the FX and their states but also the
"custom" GUI as well as the "wired" nodal layout.

Note:
FX Groups/Containers can also be like a kind of Bidule in JSFX,
in which FX may be placed and not take up much real-estate in the mixer's FX chain.
And/or they can be useful in the Wiring View (for FX and Tracks as well).

3) Ability to record takes separate from the final arrangement.
- https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209336

4) ARA and Chord Track.
- I'm so jealous of Studio One users right now.

5) Some possible inter-(sub)project improvements.
- Namely, I'd like to be able to edit the midi of a subproject along with the midi of the parent and other opened subprojects.
- Option: One Midi editor per Session.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:20 PM   #882
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj View Post
Every DAW from LMMS to ProTools comes with usable synth(s).
The fact that you can get greatly improved replacements from
elsewhere is irrelevant and a bizarre stance to take.
Haha, it is quite the opposite!

A DAW is a software enabling you a workflow for composing
+ recording music. The emphasis is the "ergonomic workflow"!

Additional Synths and Plugins are available abundantly by
third-party developers - free and paid. There are so many
that you'd generally get overwhelmed. There are so many
that you've to spend much time to select those you need.

So additional Synths and Plugins are NOT the focus of
any DAW. The DAW just provides the VST-interface which
enables you to use any VST-plugin - be it an effect or
or a synth - which is exisiting.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #883
deeb

There is no right or wrong here i think! it's just strategy of each DAW.
There is one exception i think - at least a native simple sampler should be packed since it usually benefits by being integrated with DAW.
Reaper has RS5000bla, but lacks many things but specially example: moving sample start introduces noises, and this is a NO NO ... well for me.

Last edited by deeb; 08-09-2018 at 06:38 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:56 AM   #884
Ozman

Soft-synths should not be a major focus for a DAW, being that the there are so many flavors of synthesis.
I think what we have, just maybe optimized for easy use and inspiration (GUIs), would suffice when it comes
to synths.

Samplers on the other hand, is pretty much a major part of sound design, wave editing, etc.
A serious editing DAW, such as Reaper, has to take sampling seriously.

RS5K succeeds as a sampler but that's about it.
There's no bells, and no whistles at all.
And that is understandable from the standpoint of leaving instruments to 3rd party vendors.
Ok, cool.

But when it comes to the perspective of general sound design, it actually makes the overall
capabilities of wave editing not so up-to-date with current technology.
Thus, lessening the overall sound-editing/shaping/sampling capabilities of Reaper.

All that to say: While a sound-editing DAW doesn't really need to have a Sampler that does everything, it
should, however, provide general, modern sampling capabilites
(e.g. Timestretch/Pitchshift, Multi-sampling, ADSR, Recording/Resampling, etc.)

What RS5K lacks is the neat stuff (e.g. Pitch/Key Detection, Pitch Mapping, Slicing, etc.).
But also, it suffers from an interface that is neither inspiring nor easy to understand (when it comes to Pitch Root and range).
-- Like what other samplers use MIDI numbers instead of Pitch-Octave Letters?

It seems when it comes to sampling, Reaper focuses more on editing in the arrangement
than making a sound playable.

That does kinda make sense, when you look at other things Reaper doesn't really do like other DAWs.

And it brings me back to saying to myself, "Doh!".

Before I feel in love with Reaper and made it my DAW of choice, I do recall posts here and there
implying that Reaper was mostly used by musicians for recording. That kind of kept me looking over it.
But for some reason, the native bridging, the Track Routing and MIDI Editor, got me. lol.

I'm here.

Even though I have Kontakt and TAL Sampler and going to be trying N.I. Form soon (digging the Pitch Mapping),
I can't help but feel that Reaper can do much more, since it shows its capabilities in certain ways (Reapitch, ReaTune).
All of those can be factored into making a powerful sampler/synth.

Oh well.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #885
airon

I posted this on the FR forum, but here's as good a place as any as well.

These requests would benefit me personally in my every day work, which is mixing drama, anime, documentaries and films for tv, streaming services and blueray/dvd.

Let's start with a little one.

Improved efficiency for session backups
I'm currently deleting between 1 and 15 GB of session backups a day. My current session is over 150 MB.

I once suggested a possible solution here a while ago. Backups are very important, so right now I just do the extra steps to get rid of the excess session backup files before I sync up with the backup drives.

OSC support for send mute states
Verification is important. Why else would we even have a mixer view. Working with an OSC app on a tablet has been a very helpful, but one particular aspect has been completely missing for me.

Reaper and its OSC config does not support send mute states of the selected(or last touched) track. I have to use action triggers, and can only verify the state by ear, by checking the mixer view and by checking the I/O page of a track(never done, too slow).

The tablet OSC app is an extension of Reaper for me. I need that verification to make faster decisions, so my eyes don't have to dart around between multiple targets just to verify that I successfully pressed a button.

Latch Preview Bypass/Unbypass
A/B verification between two states. Not possible yet without losing all your changes. Your ear gets used to stuff pretty quickly, so this will help with that.

More usable automation button images
I have created my own, but that's not something every user should have to do. The images of the default theme are too plain and too hard to find. They are unusable for someone like me who has to check them all day.

A more complete Mackie Control Universal CSurf
The current one doesn't let you control sends. Klinkes doesn't let you ride sends. Maybe Reaper should expose a bunch of the buttons as action triggers, which could be a new type of trigger only CSURFS can offer. Quite frankly the state this CSURF has been a bit of an embarrassment over the years. It's been almost static the entire time.

This is one of the most important controller standards we have.

That's it for now. Off the top of my head, that's the most basic stuff that creeps up every day. The more complex stuff like colouring parameter knobs on the TCP/MCP has been around so long as a request, I just go "fuck it". But the stuff that would help my in everyday work, that's this list right here. And of course I'd love some fixes for stuff like Latch Preview not taking on all latches from Latch mode as well. Or the click-fuck-fest of activating or deactivating stuff in the envelope window. Drag-click has yet to be seen there.

Thank you for your time, and quite naturally, thank you for this excellent tool.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #886
mavericksound

Default Internal OMF Support Please!!!

On a Mac, this has a been very frustrating since I get OMF files from video editors to begin a post sound project. OMF is a big head start for getting a session going. Right now it's convoluted 3rd party workarounds that I have never been able to "workaround" yet. I have to load it up in Pro Tools, and then bounce things over from there.
mavericksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #887
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozman View Post
All that to say: While a sound-editing DAW doesn't really need to have a Sampler that does everything, it
should, however, provide general, modern sampling capabilites
(e.g. Timestretch/Pitchshift, Multi-sampling, ADSR, Recording/Resampling, etc.)
i agree ! good examples of simple DAW samplers:
Directwave from FLStudio and also the native integrated in DAW GUI (what makes so easy to make beats to a complete newbie in 1 minute).
Simpler and sampler from Ableton are good examples too

Others (not DAW):
- highlife from disco DSP
- shortcircuit

Last edited by deeb; 08-10-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:27 PM   #888
DeathByGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozmillar View Post
I would love to see a better interface for video FX. Right now, the video fx are in a state of showing that stuff can be done, but that it's a lot of work to do it.

Nothing has sped up my video workflow faster than being able to cut video in reaper. It's probably just because I'm so used to the workflow in reaper that doing video just seems so much faster than anything I've ever used elsewhere.

But simple FX like color correction, titling, etc are clunky. I'm not familiar enough with the video world to know whether there are standardized video effects like there are VST plugins.

I feel like video is still in its prototype stage, but for me personally, the workflow of reaper has made video editing easier enough for me to justify working around all the quirks. If those quirks were fixed, it would be the ultimate video editor for simple videos.
This x1000
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:55 PM   #889
kainkrup

- Integrated and native Tune editor similar to Sequoia or Logic
- Better midi interface design with drum and keyboard view
- Be able to change the order position in midi mapping

For example:

F1 Tom5
D#1 Snare
D1 Unused
C1 Kick

to show like this:

C1 Kick
D#1 Snare
F1 Tom5
D1 Unused

- Shortcuts to add tracks templates
- Zoom presets for every new project (like sequoia 1,2,3,4 save/update)
- Folder tracks: possibilities to hide completely "child tracks" in main view

Last edited by kainkrup; 08-10-2018 at 11:00 PM.
kainkrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:37 AM   #890
ivansc

Pretty much all of which are already there, unless you want a picture of a drumkit sideways on instead of the sideways on keyboard with drum names on the notes and fixed-length symbols for the actual notes instead of the adjustable length rectangles used in the conventional keyboard edit window? I routinely switch views when moving from standard MIDI parts to drum & percussion parts & back.
Re-mapping MIDI note positions is also pretty straightforward.

No idea about your last three items as I dont use track templates or indeed folder much. Re: zooming yeah you have a point. Would be about the only thing that I still find irritating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainkrup View Post
- Integrated and native Tune editor similar to Sequoia or Logic
- Better midi interface design with drum and keyboard view
- Be able to change the order position in midi mapping

For example:

F1 Tom5
D#1 Snare
D1 Unused
C1 Kick

to show like this:

C1 Kick
D#1 Snare
F1 Tom5
D1 Unused

- Shortcuts to add tracks templates
- Zoom presets for every new project (like sequoia 1,2,3,4 save/update)
- Folder tracks: possibilities to hide completely "child tracks" in main view
Old 08-12-2018, 12:52 AM   #891
Kawin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
ReaPack integration (installed out of the box by default)

JSFX (and other stuff's) help provided via ReaPack (MarkDown) in a context sensitive way out of the box).

ReaScript Help Text for stock plugins (Texts e.g. provided by users).

SWS (and critical stuff like MidiToReaControlPath) via ReaPack.

-Michael
Merging all Extensions with Reaper would be nice.

SWS and Reapack must be integrated
Kawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:37 AM   #892
meradium

How about a revamp of the MIDI Editor? The more I work with it the more I have the feeling it is full of small little inconsistencies

It has so much potential and offers so many really great feature... its is a shame that it seems to fall short on some basics at the moment :/
Old 08-12-2018, 03:50 AM   #893
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawin View Post
Merging all Extensions with Reaper would be nice.
SWS and Reapack must be integrated
ReaPack should in fact be integrated to allow for the extensions provided by same to be easily found (!!!!) and installed.

SWS (and Reaper specific VSTs such as MidiToReaControlPath) should be available via ReaPack.

Regarding any other extensions (stuff that is beneficial only for a fraction of the potential users) should be available and findable (about text !!!!) via ReaPack. This is "merged" enough. Any tighter "merging" tends to result in bloating and should be avoided.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:19 AM   #894
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meradium View Post
How about a revamp of the MIDI Editor? The more I work with it the more I have the feeling it is full of small little inconsistencies
Perhaps some juliansader's script will help you?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=176878
Are you aware of Reapack? You can find a lot of useful scripts both for MIDI editor and other windows.
https://reapack.com/
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:21 AM   #895
vitalker

Quote:
(and Reaper specific VSTs such as MidiToReaControlPath)
Sorry, but why it should be like this? All the VSTs are not open-source ones. Maybe I've misunderstood something?
Old 08-12-2018, 05:15 AM   #896
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Sorry, but why it should be like this? All the VSTs are not open-source ones. Maybe I've misunderstood something?
ReaPack does not dedicatedly require open source, but of course the allowanced of the authors to redistribute their work needs to be given.

CFillon once told me that ReaPack only can't handle VSTs because there is no predefined directory where ReaPack can move them so that Reaper will automatically find them.

But with a tighter integration between Reaper and ReaPack (some discussions about that see the sticky "ReaPack" threat here) this should not be a problem.

-Michael
Old 08-12-2018, 05:17 AM   #897
kemper

VST Instrument preset submenus and organisation so I can use a range of Reaktor ensembles in a more efficient and usable way
kemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:18 AM   #898
vitalker

Quote:
ReaPack does not dedicatedly require open source, but of course the allowanced of the authors to redistribute their work needs to be given.
Well, Cockos VSTs can't be in Reapack, because they're bundled with Reaper. They are not free. And why they should be available via Reapack, if they are already in Reaper and no one can edit them?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #899
deeb

Quote:
.why they should be available via Reapack, if they are already in Reaper and no one can edit them?
maybe for other third party VSTs.

Last edited by deeb; 08-12-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #900
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
maybe for other third party VSTs.
How many developers allow to redistribute their plugins?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #901
deeb

Quote:
How many developers allow to redistribute their plugins?
i don't know! anyway ! i am not really interested in vsts in reapack. I very much prefer efforts on other things there like dependency management.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #902
vitalker

Quote:
i don't know! anyway ! i am not really interested in vsts in reapack. I very much prefer efforts on other things there like dependency management.
But I know! I don't know any developer, who allow to redistribute his/her product.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #903
deeb

Quote:
But I know! I don't know any developer, who allow to redistribute his/her product.
: ) as things are nowadays ! even to promote their products this could be a good strategy! but i get you
Old 08-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #904
vitalker

Quote:
: ) as things are nowadays ! even to promote their products this could be a good strategy! but i get you
Well, piracy plays this role very well. They redistribute free products as well. If you can't find even old frees, you can download it on some sites.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #905
deeb

Quote:
Well, piracy plays this role very well. They redistribute free products as well. If you can't find even old frees, you can download it on some sites.
i wasn't referring on piracy, i mean there are 1000's more plugins devs and plugins then 15 years ago.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #906
vitalker

Quote:
i wasn't referring on piracy, i mean there are 1000's more plugins devs and plugins then 15 years ago.
I am referring. You are right, but it has nothing common with Reapack.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #907
vitalker

Quote:
ok! unless Cfillion is from H20 : )
That's why they left the market after Reaper has appeared.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #908
JeffreyET

Quote:
Originally Posted by meradium View Post

It has so much potential and offers so many really great feature... its is a shame that it seems to fall short on some basics at the moment :/
I agree. One thing that drives me crazy is IT'S SO HARD to grab a note with the cursor. I have to hover and circle it forever, like a piece of toilet paper trying to get the last klingon (Forgive the colorful analogy!) It would help to be able to turn off the extraneous intrusive hover functions, like velocity etc. If this is an OS controlled thing well then there is nothing to be done - but if not it begs redress.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #909
vanhaze

" IT'S SO HARD to grab a note with the cursor"

In which area do you mean that ?
I assume the Piano Roll area where Notes are placed ?

I often use a Script from me2beats for selecting a Note without having to marquee it or clicking on it to make it selected:

"Script: me2beats_Select only note under mouse.lua"

When you assign this script to a keycommand in the nearbourhood of where your left hand is on the keyboard (for instance the letter "Q"), you can make a Note selection superfast.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #910
mschnell

Quote:
Well, Cockos VSTs can't be in Reapack, because they're bundled with Reaper. They are not free. And why they should be available via Reapack, if they are already in Reaper and no one can edit them?
We were talking about SWS (which is a Reaper extension) and MidiToReaControlPath (which is a Reaper specific VST, but not bundled with Reaper).

Most of the VSTs that come bundled with Reaper are just VSTs and not (technically) Reaper specific, and of course not needed to be provided by ReaPack, as they are provided out of the box, anyway.

-Michael
Old 08-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #911
vitalker

Quote:
We were talking about SWS (which is a Reaper extension) and MidiToReaControlPath (which is a Reaper specific VST, but not bundled with Reaper).

Most of the VSTs that come bundled with Reaper are just VSTs and not (technically) Reaper specific, and of course not needed to be provided by ReaPack, as they are provided out of the box, anyway.
-Michael
Sorry, my bad. I didn't read your message properly. Technically not, but virtually are.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:47 AM   #912
JeffreyET

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
" IT'S SO HARD to grab a note with the cursor"

In which area do you mean that ?
I assume the Piano Roll area where Notes are placed ?

I often use a Script from me2beats for selecting a Note without having to marquee it or clicking on it to make it selected:

"Script: me2beats_Select only note under mouse.lua"

When you assign this script to a keycommand in the nearbourhood of where your left hand is on the keyboard (for instance the letter "Q"), you can make a Note selection superfast.
Thanks VanH, I going to look up that script! And, use the ~/` key
Thinking to myself here... Using a laptop with a touchpad, so I can pinkie a key just to the right with the same (right) hand...

Last edited by JeffreyET; 08-13-2018 at 06:57 AM.
JeffreyET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #913
dom and roland

Default Fx window / plugin specific snapshots

I'd like 8 snapshots in the fx window containing the plug-in, next to the wet and dry knob. Similar to the way they are implemented inside DMG Audio Plug ins. So I can copy one snapshot to another and ideally right click toggle between used ones with my eyes closed. That would save me from saving and naming endless, never to be used again presets that clog up my preset list. When building the mix it's good to have quick options on a compressor or eq that you have already set up, that work, without relying on the preset list which cannot be done without looking at the screen.

Last edited by dom and roland; 08-13-2018 at 04:12 PM.
dom and roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #914
Pashkuli
Banned

I hope we will see a more self-contained GUI overall, not just a fancy "vintage" theme for Reaper 6.
I just hope.

I'd love to see more panel-section oriented GUI (like Sonar) with folding and unfolding features (similar or alike Samplitude and Studio One).
Personally I do not understand any waste of space for the solely purpose of looking "vintage console" like. Please, do not go walk that "abbey road".

It is highly unlikely Cockos will try and implement a vector GUI but nevertheless any improvement on the GUI and workflow will be expected with anticipation.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #915
Ozman

It would also be nice to have a way that Reaper can emulate analog summing in a non-intrusive way, yet be customizable.

Like having a post-fx Fx Chain.
- This can have channel-like plugins (e.g. limiter/soft-clipper and summing plugins like from Airwindows or even VCC).

Bye, Harrison Mixbus.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #916
SmajjL

Ozman, not sure about sure'ness but for what it's worth in swedish kronor.. because you mentioned it.
I just stumbled on FXRack by EUGEN27771 that splits and mix the FX with Summing/Average.
I got it through ReaPack and add https://github.com/EUGEN27771/ReaScr...ster/index.xml

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #917
Ozman

Yeah, I know about that one.
It is good for sound design.

I was considering something more like a post-fx Fx Chain (for mixing),
which can also have some default, disabled plugins (limiter, Airwindows, VCC, tape, etc.)

This would give a quick un-intrusive workflow for things analog console/tape summing, crosstalk, etc.

This can be either/both a pre-fx and post-fx chain. This could be Reaper's answer to channel console and tape emus.

(Harrison Mixbus, Studio One, Cakewalk)
Old 08-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #918
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobU View Post
ReaSamplOmatic6000 - multi-samples, slicing, velocity layer switching, round-robin.
Rename ReaSamplomatic5000 to something sensible.

-Michael
Old 08-24-2018, 02:12 AM   #919
HIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
Yes, my circumstances are quite weird and I want to purchase 6.0, but I am not going to upgrade again *now* being that we are oh so close I can taste it.

I would lose a year or two in licensing upgrades and if you look at the history of all of the past change logs you will be able to smell that 6.0 is just around the corner. Days? Hours? Bring it on!
I got tired of waiting and purchased Reaper 5.941-6.99 a couple of weeks ago. Best deal I have seen anywhere ever and now Cockos can release 6.0 :-)
HIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:10 AM   #920
X. O. Apodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO View Post
I got tired of waiting and purchased Reaper 5.941-6.99 a couple of weeks ago. Best deal I have seen anywhere ever and now Cockos can release 6.0 :-)
Can you please also by Synthmaster version: 2.9.6 so on Monday Reaper 6 and Synthmaster 3 are released!