Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 03-16-2019, 12:38 AM   #1
bigtop
Human being with feelings

Default Best way to trigger backing tracks Live

I have been reading some of the posts about using REAPER in a live situation but some of the stuff is complicated. I would like to ask about the following situation;

Supposing I have a song, recorded in REAPER, which is Two Guitars, Keys, some Drums, and some String arrangements AND I want to play the song live but there is only me and one other guitarist. We would like to play (and sing) the song LIVE, AND have the Keys and Strings etc come in at the right time so that the audience may enjoy the song with all the backing as it is on the recorded version.

Can someone explain the best way to achieve this or, if it would take too much time, point me in the right direction to learn this technique.

Thanks

Bigtop
Old 03-16-2019, 02:38 AM   #2
mschnell

I'm not sure I got you right...

Did you do a multitrack recording in Reaper and mix it down to the "studio" version of the song ?

If so it should be easy to do a mix while muting parts that are to be played live and use this as a playback in the show. You don't even need to take a computer with Reaper to the show.

Regarding "firing" your backing track(s) while on stage, you should first decide what kind of controller hardware and workflow you want to use.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:43 AM   #3
bigtop

Michael

Thanks for the reply.

Multi track recording.

Tracks played live are muted.

There is one verse (in the song in question) first without any other instruments apart from our two live guitars.

The problem I guess is that, when we play those tracks, we may speed up or slow down the tempo, so the accompanying tracks suddenly start playing before or after they should do.

The way to stop this is for us to play to a click but I don't want the audience to hear the click.

We would have to wear an earpiece each and have the routing of the click out to our ears ONLY.

However, that may be cumbersome in its own way as I would prefer to use my ears to listen to general sound without a timing signal "crackling" in my ear. We don't have FOH or any mixing assistance. We're just a couple of geezers playing in a bar.

You mention controllers and/or other triggering arrangements and I don't know about these.

Do you have a link to some kind of information about this kind of live arrangement?

Thanks

John
Old 03-17-2019, 12:48 AM   #4
bigtop

I think some of these questions may have been addressed in another thread "How do YOU use REAPER live?" so I'm sorry if I should have read this first before asking the good people here to repeat themselves.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:33 AM   #5
mschnell

Regarding speeding up while live playing, of course a click track to an in-ear monitor would be perfect.

Regarding firing backing tracks by hardware there are midi foot switch devices with multiple buttons. I think there are Reaper users that embedded those in their Live playing setup (even using wireless solutions).

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote