Old 09-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #1
spantini
Human being with feelings

Default Compatibility : 32 Bit & 64 Bit

Will older 32 Bit plugins work in a 64 Bit Reaper version? Some..? All..? Or just plug them in and see?
spantini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
xackley

I would guess 90% will work without problem.

I installed both 32 and 64, it didn't seem to cause any problems.
So install 64 and open some old projects.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:34 AM   #3
peter5992

They are automatically bridged, there should be no issues.

Make sure you keep track of exactly where everything is installed (I used a big spreadsheet which I update everytime something new is installed).
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:30 PM   #4
spantini

Many thanks to the both of you

I've discovered some nice looking 32 bit sims I want to experiment with.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #5
Steviebone

My experience has been that there is no reason to install a 32-bit version of a plug-in where there is a 64-bit version available. There is no reason to have both versions installed.

As far as automatic bridging for 32-bit programs it works fairly well in reaper but not in all cases. I eventually reached the conclusion to just dump all my 32-bit plug-ins. If there isn't a 64 bit version by now than it's not likely going to be supported in the future so… I have yet to find a plug-in that is truly useful that can't be had in a 64-bit flavor at this point.

My own preference is that I don't want anything in my projects that can cause a crash. Ever. If it ain't 100% I don't use it. One of the problems with using the bridge is that when there are problems it can be difficult to diagnose which plug-in is causing the issue. Often these problems are inconsistent and seemingly random. Getting rid of them solved all my random issues.

I had a few favorite plug-ins that were only available in 32-bit and I was slow to want to get rid of them. And if you have older projects that contain these plug-ins you may have some additional considerations. For me I just archived all that stuff and started new from scratch using just 64-bit plug-ins that I have found to be reliable, meaning no more I-locks for one thing.

Time is my most valuable commodity. I would rather spend it tracking and recording than chasing down bugs and crashes. And I don't need the stress of worrying about corrupted projects when reaper closes unexpectedly. It's just simpler to stick to proven product.
Steviebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #6
lunker

My experience has been the opposite.

When I built my new DAW PC, I decided not to install any 32-bit plugins if there was a 64-bit version.

All was good until I opened an old project I hadn't worked on in years that used one of the 32-bit plugins, and got the dreaded "FX could not be found, all setting have been preserved" message. My choice was either (a) install the 32-bit plugin, or (b) load the 64-bit version and try to recreate as best as I could the settings that I had used with the 32-bit plugin (I would have had to do it all by ear, since the GUI for the 32-bit plugin couldn't open to let me see what value each knob/slider was set to).

So as I find old projects with this problem, I install the 32-bit plugins used in those projects. I also created a filter to hide all of the "x86" (32-bit) plugins from the FX browser so that I don't accidentally use them in any new projects.

Maybe not all plugins behave this way, but the ones I used did.

At some point, I may update the old projects to use the 64-bit plugins (load both plugins, and dial the settings on the 64-bit version to match those of the 32-bit version). But I'm not sure that is worth the effort, unless I was planning to do some extensive work on an old project. If I'm just going to tweak something a little and re-render it, it's easier for me to just keep using the 32-bit plugin.

I do agree it would be nice if I don't have to install any 32-bit plugins when I build me next PC in 5-10 years.

Last edited by lunker; 09-28-2020 at 02:10 PM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #7
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunker View Post
My experience has been the opposite.

When I built my new DAW PC, I decided not to install any 32-bit plugins if there was a 64-bit version.

All was good until I opened an old project I hadn't worked on in years that used one of the 32-bit plugins, and got the dreaded "FX could not be found, all setting have been preserved" message. My choice was either (a) install the 32-bit plugin, or (b) load the 64-bit version and try to recreate as best as I could the settings that I had used with the 32-bit plugin (I would have had to do it all by ear, since the GUI for the 32-bit plugin couldn't open to let me see what value each knob/slider was set to).

So as I find old projects with this problem, I install the 32-bit plugins used in those projects. I also created a filter to hide all of the "x86" (32-bit) plugins from the FX browser so that I don't accidentally use them in any new projects.

Maybe not all plugins behave this way, but the ones I used did.

At some point, I may update the old projects to use the 64-bit plugins (load both plugins, and dial the settings on the 64-bit version to match those of the 32-bit version). But I'm not sure that is worth the effort, unless I was planning to do some extensive work on an old project. If I'm just going to tweak something a little and re-render it, it's easier for me to just keep using the 32-bit plugin.

I do agree it would be nice if I don't have to install any 32-bit plugins when I build me next PC in 5-10 years.
Like I said earlier if you have older projects that reference the 32 bit plug-ins then you will have issues opening them back up if those plug-ins are not there. However I still say that having both 32 and 64-bit versions on the same system can cause confusion and using the bridge in reaper is hit and miss.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #8
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
My experience has been that there is no reason to install a 32-bit version of a plug-in where there is a 64-bit version available. There is no reason to have both versions installed.
Yes, but to be sure, there are two different issues:

1. 32 bit plugins will be automatically bridged
2. Do not install 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the same plugin
Old 09-28-2020, 11:10 PM   #9
xackley

32bit reaper can have a different path to vst folders.
So isolate the 32bit vsts for old projects that you run in 32bit reaper and have a different folder for plugins you want to use in 64 bit reaper.

There are some really nice 32 bit vsts that will never get an update that work without issue in reaper 64.
At this point I really like these and have zero issue
https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/

Other really old ones like Blockfish (that I miss) works like crap, but did not crash. What I found is when a 32 bit plugin flakes out, the track just goes silent or make a horrible noise every once in a while.

Last edited by xackley; 09-28-2020 at 11:19 PM.
xackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:59 PM   #10
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Yes, but to be sure, there are two different issues:

1. 32 bit plugins will be automatically bridged
2. Do not install 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the same plugin

I find it annoying that so many developers STILL insist on offering 32 bit and 64bit (and in some cases AAX) paths whether you like it or not.

At least give us a choice, rather than having to go back and delete the 32 bit .dll.

Another thing that is annoying for me, is that many developers still have Program (x86) as the default install path even on an exclusively 64bit system. Same goes for wanting to use a "Steinberg" folder.

End of grumpy old fart rant.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:45 AM   #11
Steviebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I find it annoying that so many developers STILL insist on offering 32 bit and 64bit (and in some cases AAX) paths whether you like it or not.

At least give us a choice, rather than having to go back and delete the 32 bit .dll.

Another thing that is annoying for me, is that many developers still have Program (x86) as the default install path even on an exclusively 64bit system. Same goes for wanting to use a "Steinberg" folder.

Whenever I install a new program/plug-in I always place the 32-bit DLLs in a separate folder outside of the scan path. Most installation programs will allow you to specify custom paths, but not all. By making sure the 32 bit versions are installed in a 32-bit folder that is outside of the scan path they are there if I need them but not within reapers grasp. I can then go back and delete anything in that folder if needed. Most programs these days also allow you to select which versions are installed in which case I always install the standard 64-bit VST's and forgo any 32-bit or VST3.

It's also good practice once you are finishing up with the project to print all of the VST's if you haven't already. This assures that if you open the project someday later and all of the DLLs are not available you will at least have a print version of the sound as it was mixed. This can mean a lot to rendering of individual tracks but it's worth it down the road knowing that no matter what you can always pull up the project without any dependencies.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:20 AM   #12
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebone View Post
Whenever I install a new program/plug-in I always place the 32-bit DLLs in a separate folder outside of the scan path. Most installation programs will allow you to specify custom paths, but not all. By making sure the 32 bit versions are installed in a 32-bit folder that is outside of the scan path they are there if I need them but not within reapers grasp. I can then go back and delete anything in that folder if needed. Most programs these days also allow you to select which versions are installed in which case I always install the standard 64-bit VST's and forgo any 32-bit or VST3.

It's also good practice once you are finishing up with the project to print all of the VST's if you haven't already. This assures that if you open the project someday later and all of the DLLs are not available you will at least have a print version of the sound as it was mixed. This can mean a lot to rendering of individual tracks but it's worth it down the road knowing that no matter what you can always pull up the project without any dependencies.
Which is fine IF the plugin devs allow you to choose where you install the various versions. That was what I was moaning about... a lot of them don`t.

Never bothered printing VST tracks, but in principle that IS a good idea.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:32 AM   #13
Steviebone

Quote:
Which is fine IF the plugin devs allow you to choose where you install the various versions. That was what I was moaning about... a lot of them don`t.

Never bothered printing VST tracks, but in principle that IS a good idea.
Agreed. Another issue that commonly pains me is that many developers continue to place all manner of files all over your C drive even if they give you an option for a custom install path. Although your DLL will be placed in the custom install path, tons of dependent files still remain strewn across multiple hard to find hardcoded directories, again usually on your C drive.

Bottom line: the only way to really backup your DAW completely is to backup or image everything all the time. It also means that moving things around after install for organizational purposes can break things. And in addition to placement of various support files you also have the registry to contend with.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:22 AM   #14
richie43

I have been all 64bit for so long now that if I actually open a project old enough that has a 32bit plugin in it, the project is also old enough that it's worth recreating the track(s) by ear because the project is also so old that it was done when I had a much lower level of ability at mixing. Those projects, if worth anything besides nostalgia, are then worth a top-down remix.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #15
spantini

OP here. Just to be clear, I'm running 64-bit Reaper only and would like to try some older 32-bit VSTs. So there won't be any mingling of bits or hosts. Many of the 32-bit VSTs I've found do have 64-bit versions but a few don't, which led to me wondering if they'd operate smoothly or at all.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #16
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by spantini View Post
OP here. Just to be clear, I'm running 64-bit Reaper only and would like to try some older 32-bit VSTs. So there won't be any mingling of bits or hosts. Many of the 32-bit VSTs I've found do have 64-bit versions but a few don't, which led to me wondering if they'd operate smoothly or at all.
Like I said, they should.

One of my favorite 32 bit only VSTs is the long ago discontinued B4-II emulation of the vintage Hammond organ with Leslie speaker by Native Instruments. For the life of me, I can't think of why NI ever discontinued it.

But it still runs fine as 32 bit bridged plugin.

And there's another one, the Pro53, also by NI.

So you should be good.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #17
peter5992

Quote:

I keep careful track of exactly where every VST is installed, with a large spreadsheet with details about

- manufacturer
- name of instrument
- installation destination of 32 bit plugin
- installation folder of 64 bit plugin (with VST 2 versus 3 difference)
- installation folder of samples
- installation folder of manuals
- folders where Reaper looks for VSTs
- folders where Sibelius looks for VSTs

As you keep collecting VSTs after a while it gets to be pretty complicated, hard to keep track. Great to have a spreadsheet so at least you know what you should have. Also helpful in case you have a fatal crash and have to reinstall everything.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #18
spantini

Quote:
I keep careful track of exactly where every VST is installed, with a large spreadsheet with details about

- manufacturer
- name of instrument
- installation destination of 32 bit plugin
- installation folder of 64 bit plugin (with VST 2 versus 3 difference)
- installation folder of samples
- installation folder of manuals
- folders where Reaper looks for VSTs
- folders where Sibelius looks for VSTs

As you keep collecting VSTs after a while it gets to be pretty complicated, hard to keep track. Great to have a spreadsheet so at least you know what you should have. Also helpful in case you have a fatal crash and have to reinstall everything.
Quote:

One of my favorite 32 bit only VSTs is the long ago discontinued B4-II emulation of the vintage Hammond organ with Leslie speaker by Native Instruments. For the life of me, I can't think of why NI ever discontinued it.

So you should be good.
Thanks for the verification and spreadsheet suggestion.

Here's some info on those (B4-II Pro 53) and other discontinued items, with suggestions for replacements.

https://www.native-instruments.com/f...details.92748/
Old 10-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #19
ivansc

Quote:

So you should be good.
A big plus one from me. I learned to "play" keyboards on a real Hammond when I was in my teens & the B4II is still the closest thing to the right feel for a Hammond out there. I too would love to know why N.I. foolishly decided to dump it.
Especially since they did so barely six months after I got mine.