Old 09-28-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
sparkenhoe
Human being with feelings

Default Track Inspector Plug-in?

I used to use Audiofile Wave Editor quite a bit and one of the really useful features was this popup Inspector window which shows all sorts of useful info about a file at a glance while you’re editing / mastering.

File format, sample rate, max RMS level etc.

Does anyone know of a plug-in that does this or is there any way of setting up Reaper so this info can be seen easily and quickly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg we-inspector.jpeg (62.5 KB, 119 views)
sparkenhoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:30 AM   #2
heda

right click on it and click Source properties.
the button is also in the item properties window
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
sparkenhoe

Ah, thanks for that... That's great but was hoping to get max. level and RMS level in there somewhere. Is there some way of getting that info?
Old 09-28-2020, 07:52 AM   #4
heda

I don't know about max or rms, but if you are wanting to know loudness levels I recommend you to install the sws extensions. it has a items or tracks loudness analyzer. it is similar to rms but better. and you can even normalize to loudness levels.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Fabian

Note that the measure of loudness is done *before* FX, so it may not tell the full story. SWS's "Analyze selected tracks" takes the track fader into account (and I guess the pan law) but not the effect of any FXs. You would have to freeze (or otherwise render) the track to get the loudness post-FX.

Calculation of RMS could be scripted, but with the same limitations, only pre-FX.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:41 AM   #6
sparkenhoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabian View Post
Calculation of RMS could be scripted, but with the same limitations, only pre-FX.
That would be better than nothing to be honest, when reviewing completed tracks for final selection to a CD for example. Any idea how this could be scripted? Not done this before.

I appreciate LUFS are the way things are measured these days but RMS is still a useful thing to be able to gauge for music destined for release on physical formats.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkenhoe View Post
That would be better than nothing to be honest, when reviewing completed tracks for final selection to a CD for example. Any idea how this could be scripted? Not done this before.

I appreciate LUFS are the way things are measured these days but RMS is still a useful thing to be able to gauge for music destined for release on physical formats.
LUFS is RMS weighted by frequency, so depending on the material the difference may not be that huge.

For scripting it, you create a take audio accessor and then use that audio accessor to get the samples, Then you sum up their squares and divide by the number of samples, and take the square root of that. This is then your RMS.

Of course, there are details that have to be taken care of, such as handling multiple channels, like stereo. A short but still a little more detailed description of how to access samples by an audio accessor is here: https://mespotin.uber.space/Ultrasch...ccessorSamples

That page is also a great resource for the API. Thanks for that Mespotine!