Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-22-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Anybody have Nils‘ K1v working in Linux?

It does not seem to work here with the 64 or 32 bit version. I did a clear cache and rescan in REAPER as well, but it doesn't see the .so file which is supposed to be a native Linux VST2.

https://www.nilsschneider.de/wp/nils-k1v/
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
It does not seem to work here with the 64 or 32 bit version. I did a clear cache and rescan in REAPER as well, but it doesn't see the .so file which is supposed to be a native Linux VST2.

https://www.nilsschneider.de/wp/nils-k1v/
The deb package I looked at installs the so by default into

/usr/local/lib/lxvst

I used Archive Manager to extract the so file to a folder Reaper can see.

I then got a

swell: dlopen() failed: libxcb-util.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

so it probably needs a symbolic link from something like /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-util.so to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-util.so.1 or something like that.

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-util.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-util.so.1

Edit: I tried it (doing the above) and it works on my system.

Last edited by osxmidi; 09-22-2020 at 07:30 PM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
The deb package I looked at installs the so by default into

/usr/local/lib/lxvst

I used Archive Manager to extract the so file to a folder Reaper can see.

I then got a

swell: dlopen() failed: libxcb-util.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

so it probably needs a symbolic link from something like /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-util.so to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-util.so.1 or something like that.

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-util.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-util.so.1

Edit: I tried it (doing the above) and it works on my system.
Thanks for your help! I tried issuing your command and it complained that a symbolic link already existed, so I navigated to the x86_64-linux-gnu folder, and sure enough there was a symbolic link there with the .1 at the end of the file name.

So then I tried copying the symbolic link into ~/.vst/lxvst/ where I had manually extracted the libNilsK1v.so file, but after a clear cache and rescan, it still doesn't show up in REAPER.

Running REAPER from a terminal window, then doing a clear cache and rescan chunked out this line referencing libNilsK1v.so.

swell: dlopen() failed: /home/glennbo/.vst/usr/local/lib/lxvst/libNilsK1v.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

I definitely downloaded and extracted the 64 bit version. Plus I did it a second time without cloning the symbolic link and it still generated the error about ELF class. Is it trying to run the 64 bit version as a 32 bit file?
Old 09-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #4
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Thanks for your help! I tried issuing your command and it complained that a symbolic link already existed, so I navigated to the x86_64-linux-gnu folder, and sure enough there was a symbolic link there with the .1 at the end of the file name.

So then I tried copying the symbolic link into ~/.vst/lxvst/ where I had manually extracted the libNilsK1v.so file, but after a clear cache and rescan, it still doesn't show up in REAPER.

Running REAPER from a terminal window, then doing a clear cache and rescan chunked out this line referencing libNilsK1v.so.

swell: dlopen() failed: /home/glennbo/.vst/usr/local/lib/lxvst/libNilsK1v.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

I definitely downloaded and extracted the 64 bit version. Plus I did it a second time without cloning the symbolic link and it still generated the error about ELF class. Is it trying to run the 64 bit version as a 32 bit file?
Try

file /home/glennbo/.vst/usr/local/lib/lxvst/libNilsK1v.so

to see if it's 32 bit or 64 bit

I didn't use the deb installer, I manually extracted the so file using Archive Manager and then put it in my usual Reaper plugin path, I don't know if that makes a difference.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Try

file /home/glennbo/.vst/usr/local/lib/lxvst/libNilsK1v.so

to see if it's 32 bit or 64 bit

I didn't use the deb installer, I manually extracted the so file using Archive Manager and then put it in my usual Reaper plugin path, I don't know if that makes a difference.
Thanks again for picking through this.

I never ran the installer either, and I looked through the entire archive to see if other needed files were there, but there were only two other text files, one being a checksum, and the other a change log.

Interestingly, it says the file is 32 bit, yet the file I downloaded is "NilsK1v-x86_64.deb". I just deleted all of it, downloaded it again, same file name, extracted the .so and folder it lives in to my .vst folder, and again is comes back with this.

libNilsK1v.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=782603410380b6244475c9e5c6a7e3e59b94d4f7, not stripped

Looks like his link to 64 bit, downloads a 32 bit and evidently my machine has no 32 bit support for something it's trying to do?

Also, for further investigation I just tried the Red Hat 64 bit version and got the same results.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:53 AM   #6
biopsin

strange, as I downloaded a x86_64.deb and file shows

libNilsK1v.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=c4c16b8116db3b67a9abac1fdd245697a3ccc587, not stripped

however have not tested it, as I currently don't have xcb-utils installed
Old 09-23-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by biopsin View Post
strange, as I downloaded a x86_64.deb and file shows

libNilsK1v.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=c4c16b8116db3b67a9abac1fdd245697a3ccc587, not stripped

however have not tested it, as I currently don't have xcb-utils installed
Thanks for posting. It looks like the 32 bit stuff was my fault because I had at one point tried the 32 bit version since REAPER was not picking up the 64 bit version. It unintentionally got unzipped to /home/glennbo/.vst/usr/local/lib/lxvst/libNilsK1v.so which is not where I intended for it to be.

The true path should have been /home/glennbo/.vst/lxvst/libNilsK1v.so Once I nuked the phantom 32 bit hierarchy and pointed the file command to the correct location, it says it is the 64 bit version.

REAPER still doesn't see it and now there is no reference to libNilsK1v.so after running REAPER from a terminal window and performing a clear cache and rescan. Maybe it's got dependencies to something that's not present on my machine.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:35 PM   #8
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
/usr/local/lib/lxvst

I just had to add this location in the VST plugins settings of the Preferences, and then it just showed in Reaper (Linux Mint 20)...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #9
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
I just had to add this location in the VST plugins settings of the Preferences, and then it just showed in Reaper (Linux Mint 20)...
I tried putting it in the location it wanted to be installed in, followed by a clear cache and rescan with that path set in REAPER, but it still doesn't pick it up for me. All other native Linux plugins I've ever used I just chunked them into home/.vst and the next time REAPER started, they were found and worked. This one must have a dependency that's not being fulfilled on my machine.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:49 AM   #10
Jack Winter

Try running ldd /path/name.so to see what can be linked or not.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #11
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Try running ldd /path/name.so to see what can be linked or not.
Thanks! I think this might be the problem.

libxcb-cursor.so.0 => not found

Yea, I installed the missing package and got it working, and during the scan Surge tried to work, but threw out some errors about missing it's own libraries. I'd blown that one off and forgotten that it was still in my VST folder, but now maybe I can get it to work too. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Edit: Woot!!! I have Surge working now too. It was the same library that kept it from ever working months ago when I tried it. I found the .deb and extracted the patches and wavetables to the folder it wanted them in and now it works.

Last edited by Glennbo; 09-24-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #12
PMan

I'm glad you posted your original question, Glennbo.

I remember when the K1 came out as a real synth, for some reason I didn't get into it. But after reading this thread I decided to try and see if the plugin would work... It works, and it sounds great!

I'm also really glad you got Surge working, that's a really powerful synth.

The terminal command: "ldd MyFavoritePlugin.so" is our friend! It's saved my bacon many times

Good stuff!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMan View Post
I'm glad you posted your original question, Glennbo.

I remember when the K1 came out as a real synth, for some reason I didn't get into it. But after reading this thread I decided to try and see if the plugin would work... It works, and it sounds great!
I used to have a Roland MT32 when those first came out, and the K1 reminds me of it. Sampled attacks with some tricky business after.

Quote:
I'm also really glad you got Surge working, that's a really powerful synth.

The terminal command: "ldd MyFavoritePlugin.so" is our friend! It's saved my bacon many times

Good stuff!
Surge is pretty cool! I've got a project going with a lot of instances of Kontakt, one of which has choppy cellos and violins and in one section I added Surge with a percussive and dreamy sound that makes the sampled strings sound real trippy.