Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 11-10-2020, 02:12 AM   #321
terminar
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
Maybe you can at some point even show to NI, how to solve the "problem" of connecting two of their devices to NIHIA and pick the one for DAW integration or plugin focus (Maschine, KK). Considering that they have been struggling with this problems for sooo long now.
I think they know exactly what the problem is. It has nothing to do with their own protocol but the MIDI stack they use for NIHA and NIHIA. As far as i know, the newer NIHIA uses the Bome Virtual MIDI SDK (https://www.bome.com/products/bmidi) and i am not sure if the implementation is wrong or if they only have some specific license to only use one virtual midi port for their NIHIA service. The point is, as long as NIHIA creates only one generalized virtual midi port, it will fail with different devices.

Quote:
OK, I just ordered an M32. Means I have a KK S Mk2, Maschine 2 Mikro and soon a KK M32 to challenge NIHIA.
I may be totally wrong but, due to the fact that i had that situation with my Maschine Mikro MK3 (driven by NIHIA) and the KK M32 is also driven by NIHIA, you may have the same struggle... I hope i'm wrong.
terminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:00 PM   #322
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminar View Post
I think they know exactly what the problem is. It has nothing to do with their own protocol but the MIDI stack they use for NIHA and NIHIA. As far as i know, the newer NIHIA uses the Bome Virtual MIDI SDK (https://www.bome.com/products/bmidi) and i am not sure if the implementation is wrong or if they only have some specific license to only use one virtual midi port for their NIHIA service. The point is, as long as NIHIA creates only one generalized virtual midi port, it will fail with different devices.
nah, I don't think the root cause is missing capabilities of the Bome driver or licensing. While there exists a better driver for Windows - notably multi client capability - (http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/virtualmidi.html) the Bome driver should be easily capable of what is needed. I think the actual problem is a historically problematic architecture between NIHIA, the controllers and the SW when it comes to instance focus & DAW control. They cannot start from scratch because it would break too many things. But I believe things could be amended by adding commands to NIHIA that allow to change the routing of the messages: A SW client could inquire which controllers are available (they obviously can all connect simultaneously via the port mechanism) and then request focus (Maschine, KK, ...) or claim DAW control communication (Reaper, Ableton, Logic, ...).

Quote:
I may be totally wrong but, due to the fact that i had that situation with my Maschine Mikro MK3 (driven by NIHIA) and the KK M32 is also driven by NIHIA, you may have the same struggle...
Yeah, that is what I am expecting too. But it does not worry me at all since I will be using the M32 mostly on a separate PC. However, eventually I look forward to playing around with all 3 of them and NIHIA just for fun (not for struggles)
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:36 PM   #323
terminar

Quote:
nah, I don't think the root cause is missing capabilities of the Bome driver or licensing. While there exists a better driver for Windows - notably multi client capability - (http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/virtualmidi.html) the Bome driver should be easily capable of what is needed. I think the actual problem is a historically problematic architecture between NIHIA, the controllers and the SW when it comes to instance focus & DAW control. They cannot start from scratch because it would break too many things.
I think the situation is far more easy and less complex (which makes it more idiotic at the same time)
As far as I found out:
- NIHA is the "old" and still main agent. All new devices are driven by NIHIA (I have a list)
- NIHA uses another "MIDI stack" than NIHIA (the support told me)
- we know that NIHIA used the Bome stack
- I also think that the Bome stack is complete and capable enough to do the correct job if used correctly
- every device driven by NIHIA created a virtual "- DAW 1" midi device (my KKMK2 + MMMK3) which just collides by the same name on the OS level (damn!)
- every device driven by NIHA created a virtual midi device with the device name in it (some sort of per-device-unique) (like my MMK3)

I can imagine that it's just really trivial. They missed some multi device midi mapping with different virtual midi names/ports in NIHIA. That does not sound obvious but to quote Mr. Spock:

"if you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the solution".

They just... f* up the code.
Whatever, we'll see how the time will influence the situation. The bug iis known by NI (and I have the proof in a support message! ) and within the next years it will maybe be finished.
...oooOOO(or we have completely rewritten and replaced NIHA/NIHIA until then) ��
Old 11-12-2020, 09:34 PM   #324

I've been struggling to get this extension working. I'm trying Reaper again after not using it for years, so it's entirely possible that I'm missing something trivial. Installed using reapack.

I have two NI controllers (mikro mk3 and M32). DAW control isn't working with the M32 regardless of whether or not the mikro is hooked up. Both bome interfaces are disabled. I've followed the installation steps in the manual to the best of my understanding.

Any known issues or suggestions for things to try?

Catalina 10.15.7; Reaper v6.15/64 (evaluation).

Both controllers work fine with Logic.

Edit:

Tested in a win 7 VM with just the M32. Managed to get it working once, so whatever is going on is isolated to the Mac OS version. I'm probably not going to play around with the VM more because binding of the USB devices to the VM seems inconsistent.

Edit 2:

KKM_DEVICE_NAME[] = "Komplete Kontrol M DAW" where the default name of the device was "Bome Software GmbH & Co. KG - Komplete Kontrol M DAW". Changed the device alias to match the device name string. Connects as long as mm mk3 is not hooked up, otherwise connection fails, which I believe is expected if I'm understanding recent posts.

I'm not sure how it's grabbing the mikro. There is no "Bome Software GmbH & Co. KG - Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" device listed, just a "Bome Software GmbH & Co. KG - Maschine Mikro MK3" device. I'm assuming that's just how it works for now. *shrug*

Last edited by 4280; 11-14-2020 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Removing comment regarding extensions drop down menu, and further troubleshooting.
4280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #325
Antkn33

I can’t get Reakontrol for the komplete kingdom keyboard to work on macOS. I installed via reapack . The files are in the correct place. I followed the instructions in the original Windows version , disabling the DAW entry in midi settings. I rebooted the Mac for good measure.... no luck.
Latest version of reaper and macOS.
Any other ideas? Thanks.
Antkn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #326
terminar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4280 View Post
I'm not sure how it's grabbing the mikro. There is no "Bome Software GmbH & Co. KG - Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" device listed, just a "Bome Software GmbH & Co. KG - Maschine Mikro MK3" device. I'm assuming that's just how it works for now. *shrug*
I have to check the changelogs of NI if my mentioned bug is fixed now, if it's true it will explain that situation.

That means i have to review the sourcecode. I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
If NI only have changed the device names i can fix that within the next days.
But - the problem should also happen on Windows.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #327
terminar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antkn33 View Post
I can’t get Reakontrol for the komplete kingdom keyboard to work on macOS. I installed via reapack . The files are in the correct place. I followed the instructions in the original Windows version , disabling the DAW entry in midi settings. I rebooted the Mac for good measure.... no luck.
Latest version of reaper and macOS.
Any other ideas? Thanks.
Which Komplete Keyboard do you use? Do you see an error message?
Old 11-19-2020, 01:46 PM   #328
Antkn33

Quote:
Which Komplete Keyboard do you use? Do you see an error message?
I have the S88 MKII. No, I don't see an error message.
By contrast, I installed DrivenByMoss4Reaper and it works but the config was very different.
Thanks
Antkn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #329
terminar

Default Next milestone: pad, button, know, touchstrip parser code; windows sometimes work

@brummbear:

progress update.

Event parser

Due to the fact that i am now able to listen to the incoming events, i extended the event messages parser code which are sent from the device (currently using the Maschine MK3). That includes (at first)

- PAD button changes/presses
- Button presses
- Touchstrip events
- Knob touches / knob rotations
- 4D encoder presses, touches, presses, knob rotations

There are some messages i've identified which are sent when the instance control is "stolen" by another instance, so there are some more things.

I have isolated the most important messages (pad, buttons, ...) and began to parse then. Buttons, knobs and touchstrip seems to be easy (one event on press, one event on release or just one event on rotate and so on) but the pad data seems to send an infinitive amount of events while a pad is pressed.
I've identified the pad number, maybe a "state" field (1 seems to be pressed down event, 3 or 4 seems to be some state changing number when pad is released, 4 seems to be the last event state); also there is some complete random field data which isn't the same at every pad event - maybe the velocity and other data is encoded into this field.

Regarding the other events that should be really straight forward and is btw the same with my KKMK2 as expected.

Windows

Good and bad news.

Good: The event parser script code i wrote and tested on OSX is completely usable on Windows without any change. Yay! Less work for me!

Bad: It currently takes around 20-30 tries to start the test program and get to the point where the device is "connected". I also have to restart the NI agents often.

The data parsing code itself is working and without any problem but there is still the known bug in the windows IPC backend. Generally even this is good because i can focus on finishing the message parsing, try the code on windows and when i'm finished with the parser, i can just fix the windows bugs at once.

I am carefully optimistic that you can get a first "alpha windows test version" to test on your windows computer and with your devices at least at the end of this month.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #330
terminar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antkn33 View Post
I have the S88 MKII. No, I don't see an error message.
By contrast, I installed DrivenByMoss4Reaper and it works but the config was very different.
Thanks
Do you use Catalina? Can you check the OSX security settings if the load of the library is forbidden by OSX?
Old 11-20-2020, 02:08 AM   #331
terminar

Default Tested today on OSX

I tested the current version of reakontrol which is available via Reapack on my system.

- macOS Mojave 10.14.6
- Reaper 6.15
- Reakontrol 1.00 (July 02 2020)
- Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2

Catalina warning: There may be security complains!
Quoting Musilab on the Native Instruments forum:
ReaKontrol: Komplete Kontrol Mk2 deep integration with Reaper #24

I've seen that ReaPack on Catalina wasn't opening because mac couldn't recognise the developer. It was blocked by the system.
I checked Privacy and Security on the System Preferences and allowed the file to open.

Currently, if you own a Maschine Mikro MK3, please, don't use it with reaKontrol and a Komplete Kontrol MK2 keyboard, it will get you into trouble!

1. In the Reaper preferences, check "Audio->MIDI Devices". You should see (depending on your device) "Bome Software GmbH & Co. KG - Komplete Kontrol DAW - 1" or "...Komplete Kontrol A DAW" or "...Komplete Kontrol M DAW".
If you have changed some options previously, try to "Reset all MIDI devices". Select the "Bome Software..." DAW entries and disable them.

2. Install/reinstall reaKontrol via reaPack

3. Restart Reaper

4. On Catalina (as mentioned above) check the macOS security settings and allow that library/application

5. Restart Reaper

Everything should work now as expected.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:46 AM   #332
carbon

Great stuff!

Instead of Komplete Kontrol I'm using ReaKontrol with the Maschine plugin.
All the functions seem to be working except the play and stop buttons when a Maschine plugin instance is selected.

Is that something that can't be implemented, or possibly user error?
Old 11-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #333
terminar

Default Next milestone: This is Rebellion (alpha1)

@brummbear:

This is Rebellion alpha1.

State update

- mapped buttons indexes to names for the MMK3 and KKMK2
- mapped pressure events of the Maschine MK3
- mapped LEDs to corresponding button / pad indices + names
- finished decoding of knob rotations
- finished decoding color codes and intensity (4 levels)
- implemented first png image loader for the displays
- implemented some-sort-of-framebuffer transfer to display functions (display can be used)

Funstuff - some first tests
- load image on button click
- clear display
- draw on the display "etch a sketch" style using Knob7 and Knob8 as X/Y
- change color using the knobs for the LEDs, switch LEDs on and off by rotating Knob1

Still chaotic but generally really stable on OSX?!

Videos or didn't happen!
OK. I think it's time to provide a better proof of the work, not just using text and curious announcements.

- Rebellion (alpha1) controlling the Native Instruments Maschine MK3
- Rebellion (alpha1) controlling the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2
- Rebellion (alpha1) controlling the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 - switching instances

Problems
The Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 seems sometimes use some different protocol message for some buttons (CLEAR next to the display, the 4D encoder touch message, ...). A message is sent by the keyboard if the button is pressed but it doesn't contain any information, which button is pressed. It seems that the KKMK2 behaves different when set into different modes. I am not sure what i am missing because the key is working in Maschine2 and while sniffing i can get the correct message (when initialized by the Maschine2 SW). That means, i've missed something in the intialization code. But due to the fact that this only happens for these two specific parts i'll fix that later and try to focus on getting the windows port bugs fixed.

Cheers, Terminar

Last edited by terminar; 11-24-2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:26 AM   #334
brummbear

Haha, this looks great! Love the etch a sketch turtle nonsense . The image upload looks really snappy. Are all commands and the corresponding actions going through Lua (e.g. if knob 1 changes, change color etc)?
Old 11-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #335
terminar

Quote:
Are all commands and the corresponding actions going through Lua (e.g. if knob 1 changes, change color etc)?
Yep, it's all driven by Lua with reeeally bad nonoptimized code doing much debug stuff which is not needed later. It saved a lot of time within the last days diving into the protocol.

Even the callback code from the IPC calls are proceeded by Lua code. The IPC code is called nonblocking with a timeout, correct values need to be tuned within the next weeks.

A little bit of a problem (needs optimization). Loading the image takes some time because the conversion from png (filter type 3 in this case) to 24bit RGB, then conversion from 24bit rgb to RGB565 takes some time because the code is currently written in plain lua. Currently i'm loading it into some sort of cache so it's not a real problem for testing and also no show-stopper.

I'll move these functions into C code and just call it from lua, getting the "framebuffer proceeded, ready data". I have some (maybe) good ideas, also i want to integrate some existing embedded GUI framework stuff which then can directly be used higher-level.

Btw, i am currently trying to fix the bugs on windows. I think i know the reason, i've identified two things which i have just missed. That came to life when i used more than one device type at once (but i know the solution).
BUT: on windows currently it feels slower. One part may be a heavy use of "printf debug" and the console is slow, the other reason may be the slower windows notebook i'm testing with. I'll find the reason when the two main bugs are fixed.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #336
bernardg

Default Extended Edit Mode not working

Hi, can you help? I bought a KK 61 Mk2 last week. I've installed ReaKontrol. I've followed the manual advice as much as I can.
On day 1 I managed to activate Extended Edit Mode. I also used this to 'record arm of selected track'.
Next time I logged on, I could get into Extended Edit Mode, but I couldn't arm track for recording. (I then took your advice on 'automatically arm for recording selected track', which makes this problem redundant.)

My big problem now is that Extended Edit Mode does not work when I'm have Mixer open. The blue lights around the wheel do not flash.
If I switch to Midi view, they flash as they are supposed to do.

Can you advise?
Many thanks. Many thanks for everything that does work. It's brilliant. But I'm hoping to get my small brain to suss out the benefits of Extended Edit Mode one day.
bernardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:57 PM   #337
carbon

Am I reading correctly from the manual that with the keyboard controller it's impossible to have transport control when focusing on the Maschine plugin?
That splitting the transport buttons to use Mackie protocol is possible only with the Maschine controller?

The MK keyboards use the Komplete Kontrol standalone instead of Controller Editor to edit it's MIDI assignments and I can't find anything that allows to edit the behaviour of the transport buttons.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:58 AM   #338
terminar

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Am I reading correctly from the manual that with the keyboard controller it's impossible to have transport control when focusing on the Maschine plugin?
That splitting the transport buttons to use Mackie protocol is possible only with the Maschine controller?
Even with the Maschine Controller you can only map the MIDI mode. So you need to switch from Maschine control mode (don't know what the official name is) into MIDI via SHIFT+CHANNEL and then you can use the stuff you've configured with the Controller Editor. You can't mix the different modes.

Quote:
The MK keyboards use the Komplete Kontrol standalone instead of Controller Editor to edit it's MIDI assignments and I can't find anything that allows to edit the behaviour of the transport buttons.
You can't configure the behaviour.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:51 AM   #339
terminar

Default Next milestone: Rebellion alpha1 - call for testers

This is a "Rebellion alpha1" - "call for testers" information / shout out.

State update

- fixed the remaining known bugs on Windows
- created first alpha1 "ZIP" containing the Windows and macOS console binary + scripts
- created README.pdf which explains the current state of the framework

- still stable on macOS
- stable on Windows now, every start of Rebellion creates an instance without any problems

Call for testers
If you read this post and are interested in supporting the project with testing please contact me.
I'm searching users which owns "Native Instruments" devices such as
- Maschine / Maschine Mikro MK1, MK2, MK3
- Komplete Kontrol S MK1, S MK2
- Komplete Kontrol M
- Komplete Kontrol A
- Traktor *

Currently we have testers with the following devices:
- Maschine MK3
- Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2
- Komplete Kontrol S49 MK2
- Komplete Kontrol M32 (if Brumbear joins the tester team)

WARNING: This is not a ReaKontrol release, it's a separate, different software. Rebellion is a framework which will maybe be connected later from ReaKontrol to extend its functionality.
Don't expect too much yet!

Bye
Terminar

Last edited by terminar; 12-24-2020 at 02:01 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #340
RSethT

Default ReaKontrol Crashes Reaper

Just got an A25 and installed ReaKontrol from the github site. Actually, I've installed every version from 0.93 to 1.00 and each one crashes Reaper on load. Sometimes it gets to the "Choose Project" window before it dies (before taking any input) but mostly it just scans through things, finds "reaper-kontrol.dll" and then just goes away.

Can anyone point me in the direction of logs or info you might need to help you help me fix this?

Thanks!
RSethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #341
brummbear

Did you make sure to disable the KK DAW midi device in settings?
Are you running the 64bit version of Reaper? The Windows binaries on GitHub are 64bit only (easiest way to install is via ReaPack).
Old 01-03-2021, 06:41 PM   #342
RSethT

Quote:
Did you make sure to disable the KK DAW midi device in settings?
Yes. Pic attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png sshot - midi.png (12.8 KB, 158 views)
Old 01-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #343
RSethT

Quote:
Are you running the 64bit version of Reaper? The Windows binaries on GitHub are 64bit only (easiest way to install is via ReaPack).

Yes, Reaper v6.19 64bit.
Attached Images
File Type: png sshot - midi 2.png (2.8 KB, 149 views)
Old 01-04-2021, 11:37 PM   #344
brummbear

@RSethT: Hmmm, I have tested with a KK S88 Mk2 and a KK M32 keyboard Reaper 6.19 - no crashes. I do not have an A series keyboard but see no reason why it should not work. Can you share any additional info that might lead to the root cause: E.g. are you running other plugin extensions? Is there any other process or program communicating via "Komplete Kontrol A DAW", e.g. as MCU device?

I noticed in your screenshot that you have correctly disabled the "Komplete Kontrol A DAW" device as input and output (this is important because ReaKontrol claims these). Do you have another extension such as CSI or DrivenbyMoss also claiming this same device? BTW: you should enable your normal MIDI device "KOMPLETE KONTROL A25 MIDI" as input. Otherwise you will not be able to play anything.

Last edited by brummbear; 01-04-2021 at 11:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:51 PM   #345
brummbear

Quote:
Yup. That's how NI implemented it. No choice here.

Quote:
...Even with the Maschine Controller you can only map the MIDI mode. So you need to switch from Maschine control mode (don't know what the official name is) into MIDI via SHIFT+CHANNEL and then you can use the stuff you've configured with the Controller Editor. You can't mix the different modes.
With Maschine Mk2 you actually CAN split(=mix) the modes, i.e. let only the transport buttons send MCU commands and all the other buttons still in Maschine control mode (don't know the official term either, lol). The manual describes how this is done. But if you ask me it is not worth the hassle anyway because NI implemented this mixed mode really bad: The transport buttons only send (not receive!) MCU commands, i.e. you do not get feedback via the button lights when you use transport in the DAW. Meh.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #346
RSethT

Default Solved!

Quote:
@RSethT: Hmmm, I have tested with a KK S88 Mk2 and a KK M32 keyboard Reaper 6.19 - no crashes. I do not have an A series keyboard but see no reason why it should not work. Can you share any additional info that might lead to the root cause: E.g. are you running other plugin extensions? Is there any other process or program communicating via "Komplete Kontrol A DAW", e.g. as MCU device?

I noticed in your screenshot that you have correctly disabled the "Komplete Kontrol A DAW" device as input and output (this is important because ReaKontrol claims these). Do you have another extension such as CSI or DrivenbyMoss also claiming this same device? BTW: you should enable your normal MIDI device "KOMPLETE KONTROL A25 MIDI" as input. Otherwise you will not be able to play anything.

Ok, so I started playing with MIDI-OX and got some really strange error messages when trying to monitor the traffic to/from the A25. Long story short, I've re-organized my USB situation, dividing some traffic up on multiple ports.

Now, when I start Reaper, I get a totally different response from my A25. It immediately goes into Track Instance & knobs are matched with faders. In other words, it works!! I think, at least. Now I have to go and learn my new setup, I guess.

Thanks for the help, @brummbear.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #347
Nils92

Hi Guys,
anyone here who can help me set up my M32 in Reaper?
I did everything as mentioned in the Manual.
Running mac os 10.15 and the latest Reaper Version
Nils92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:17 PM   #348
bluedoorstudios

This is amazing! Thank you!

I can't get automation to work. Reaper doesn't write automation if I tweak for example a cutoff on the keyboard. (in latch or write mode) Any tips?
bluedoorstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #349
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedoorstudios View Post
This is amazing! Thank you!

I can't get automation to work. Reaper doesn't write automation if I tweak for example a cutoff on the keyboard. (in latch or write mode) Any tips?
from the ReaKontrol manual:

Code:
Notes on Automation:
* If you want to automate Komplete Kontrol VST parameters: Make sure that the Fx window showing the Komplete Kontrol Instance GUI that you want
to automate is open. By design, Reaper needs the GUI open for plugins that do not use ordinary MIDI CC to write automation properly (remember,
Komplete Kontrol VST communicates with the keyboard via its own proprietary protocol).
If you followed the recommended Reaper settings above and you open one Fx window this will also work automatically whenever you change a track,
i.e. there is no need to manually open any Fx windows.

* For extra convenience you can allow Reaper to automatically add envelopes when tweaking parameters in automation write modes (this is under
Options>Preferences>EditingBehaviour>Automation): Whenever you switch on automation via the keyboards AUTO button, everything that you
tweak (both KK internal parameters like macros etc) as well as other parameters like volume, pan etc will be added automatically to the automation
envelope lanes. This applies to external effects outside of KK VSTi too. Note that KK VSTi currently does not support automation of effects inside of
the plugin.
Did you follow the manual? The main thing is to have the Fx windows with the GUI of the affected KK plugin open. It will automate anything and everything in their respective lanes. Note however that KK has a limitation in itself: If you chain effect plugins after your instrument inside of KK, those cannot be automated. The reason is that KK does not expose these to the outside. It has been requested since long that NI exposes these to the outside but who knows when or if it ever happens. If you run into such a situation you can still automate these but you have to place such effects outside of KK.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:58 AM   #350
bluedoorstudios

Thanks! Having the FX window open made it work perfectly.

Is there a way to modify the automation mode to switch from Write/Read rather than Latch/Read?
bluedoorstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #351
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedoorstudios View Post
Thanks! Having the FX window open made it work perfectly.

Is there a way to modify the automation mode to switch from Write/Read rather than Latch/Read?

Glad it works for you now.

I hardcoded the AUTO button on the keyboard to toggle between Trim and Latch - you would need to change the source code (sorry, I don't feel inclined). If you have a need for Write rather than Latch (or any other of the abundant automation flavors) you have to switch to that in Reaper via mouse or keyboard.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:07 PM   #352
explodingPSYCH

Default Can't flush FX when using Komplete Kontrol?

Hi, first of all, thanks for all the good work on this plugin! I currently have the latest version installed and it's really useful with all the work I do with Kontakt.

I had a question around some unexpected behavior with Komplete Kontrol:

When I'm using Kontakt with Komplete Kontrol, the "flush FX when stopped" in Reaper doesn't work as expected. The audio engine doesn't actually get reset on stop. But
it works when I just use Kontakt without Komplete Kontrol.

Do you think this is something that could be handled by ReaKontrol?

To put it another way: when I stop playback and "flush FX when stopped" is enabled, I want the same behavior as the "Restart Engine" button being clicked in Kontakt Options >> Expert >> Engine. (This appears to be what happens now when I'm just using Kontakt on a track.)

Editing to add: Since posting this I had the idea of using MIDI Control Change 120 to make Komplete Kontrol stop all audio, similar to the "Restart Engine" and/or "flush FX when stopped." If I manually insert CC 120 as a MIDI event in a track with Komplete Kontrol, it seems to do what I want. So maybe if Komplete Kontrol can somehow be customized to always send CC 120 when Stop happens, that would be a solution to this?

One more edit: It looks like since ReaKontrol is only communicating with a specific track/instance of Komplete Kontrol, what I need would not be possible through this plugin. I usually have several VSTi instances of KK in my projects. So it seems like even if the plugin could help send a message to KK that does what I want, that wouldn't be able to affect all instances of the KK VSTi in all my tracks?

Last edited by explodingPSYCH; 01-24-2021 at 03:40 PM.
explodingPSYCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:49 PM   #353
brummbear

ReaKontrol seems to be the wrong spot from an architectural point of view for what you would like to achieve.

If CC120 does what you want you could try to send it globally to all tracks on stop.

Have you tried sending CC120 via the global control path rather than an individual track (either learn it from an external device that generates this CC or for test purposes just create it on a track as MIDI event and send it to the global control path via MIDItoReaControlPath VST)?

If this works you can create your custom stop action, i.e. transport stop + sending CC120 to global control path.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #354
explodingPSYCH

Thanks, that makes sense. It does seem like the problem I'm having isn't related to how the KK VSTi is being controlled with MIDI/etc, it's more like the KK audio engine is responding to Reaper in an unexpected way.

I'll look into your suggestion. So far, I've only tried sending the CC on a single track and haven't figured out a way to do it globally.
explodingPSYCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:04 AM   #355
terminar

Default Life sign

Hi *,

sorry for the late answer but I had a „daytime job change“ which needed more attention as expected but I think I’ll jump back into the Rebellion development within February.

First of all, thank you for the response to my "call for testers"! I have received PMs from 5 additional testers who are interested to assist in testing or even development. That's really awesome! I'll send you the link when the next alpha is started.

Also I got a first response from the alpha1 test: it's confirmed that the alpha1 was working flawlessly on other tester systems which I wasn't expecting. The log files I received were a bit "boring" because they didn't contain any unexpected errors - which is also a big step forward (for me).

As mentioned, sorry about the delay. Personally "music making" and tinkering with stuff like reaKontrol and Rebellion are fun projects in my spare time. Also I don't want to put me into the situation to have pressure from a hobby project. I've seen to many such projects where the maintainer have stepped down due to much addiction. I hope that's still OK for every participants.

One more thing...:
@brummbear, I think I'm beginning to highjack the reaKontrol thread with Rebellion and producing some noise. Due to the fact that Rebellion is integrated into reaKontrol someday (maybe) this is still valid to have messages here on some point but - I can also create an own thread only for the Rebellion development. Or should I continue here? What's your opinion?

Bye
Terminar
Old 02-09-2021, 01:48 AM   #356
hrafnkelle

Default reaper 2.63/win64 crashes on startup with ReaKontrol

Just tried installing ReaKontrol into the UserPlugins directory.
When I start up Reaper with it installed and my Komplete Kontrol M32 plugged in, reaper crashes on startup.

If I unplug my m32 before starting reaper, it loads.
I can then plug my m32 in without reaper crashing, but complains
"The following MIDI inputs could not be opened:
Komplete Kontrol M DAW"
when e.g. pressing the Play button on the keyboard.

Event viewer in Windows shows
Faulting application name: reaper.exe, version: 6.2.3.0, time stamp: 0x601cc116
Faulting module name: reaper_kontrol.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5efbc112
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000006d40
Faulting process id: 0x52f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6febf0557819f
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\reaper.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\he\AppData\Roaming\REAPER\UserPlugins\rea per_kontrol.dll
Report Id: da4062c3-01bc-4350-9c06-2aea31942c7f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
hrafnkelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:47 AM   #357
hrafnkelle

"Resolved" by making sure the "Komplete Kontrol M DAW" midi input device is not enabled when ReaKontrol is installed and reaper started.
hrafnkelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:00 PM   #358
mutex

Is there a way to make the 4D knob send MIDI commands instead? I'm asking because I would like to use it to quickly browse patches in plugins rather than controlling the DAW with it.

EDIT: Never mind. I changed the plugin on my PC so the 4D knob sends MIDI CC 118 values 0 (counterclockwise) and 127 (clockwise), which is enough for me in some of my non-NI plugins that support "MIDI Learn" for the patch browser.

Last edited by mutex; 02-14-2021 at 08:46 PM.
mutex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:38 PM   #359
MrQuarc

Default Record controller knobs in reaper

Cool, your plugin seem to work great with my M32! But one thing i don't understand (also without your plug): When i play a NI instrument inside Komplete Kontrol and modulate with one of the 8 controller knobs, they can't be recorder in Reaper? Unless i switch the keyboard to MIDI-Mode (and then have to MIDI learn all the knobs), right?
MrQuarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:21 PM   #360
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQuarc View Post
Cool, your plugin seem to work great with my M32! But one thing i don't understand (also without your plug): When i play a NI instrument inside Komplete Kontrol and modulate with one of the 8 controller knobs, they can't be recorder in Reaper? Unless i switch the keyboard to MIDI-Mode (and then have to MIDI learn all the knobs), right?
No need to do that. Just follow the ReaKontrol manual how to do automation. The gist is here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=349 . However, you may benefit even more if you look at the other recommended settings described in the manual. Have fun.