Old 03-03-2021, 01:41 PM   #1
Jan Howard test
Human being with feelings

Default Why are my wav files OFFLINE?

I've been tidying up my computer and deleting unwanted files(!) and moving the default project folder to another drive with more room. Now when I load an old Reaper project some of my tracks from .wav files come up as offline in the project.

They are there on my machine, but in source properties the File Info says "Unknown file header".

What daft thing have I done, and how do I fix it?
Cheers
Jan Howard test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
Hoof Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Howard test View Post
I've been tidying up my computer and deleting unwanted files(!) and moving the default project folder to another drive with more room. Now when I load an old Reaper project some of my tracks from .wav files come up as offline in the project.

They are there on my machine, but in source properties the File Info says "Unknown file header".

What daft thing have I done, and how do I fix it?
Cheers
This sounds exactly like an old post of mine. When you start "tidying" is when the problems usually occur.

Feel free to go through my statistics and read through threads started by me (there's only a couple of pages). I've had this come up at least a couple of times as "missing files" or "files offline" and have gotten a lot of good info in the past regarding these issues.

Renaming files or folders seems to get me in trouble as well as condensing multiple folders into one.

I'd also search for a Folder called "REAPER Media" in your documents. That's at least one place where my wave files are stored after a recording (I'm guessing most other users have their files stored their automatically as well).

Although I'm still trying to figure out if there are more places than just that one where duplicates may be stashed...

Sorry if that's not helpful, but I'm still trying to get me little brain wrapped around this particular phenomenon myself.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
Jan Howard test

Thanks Hoof Hearted.....I had a look at the previous threads and did a bit more messing about, and found that if I looked at each off-line track's properties in Item Properties, I could 'Choose New File' and re-load the file that was there (after I'd put it back in the old Reaper Media folder). After saving the project, closing it and re-opening it, Lo and Behold, it didn't show up as being off-line.....I just had to do that with a few tracks to sort out my problems....a bit of a faff but worth it.

I'll try to remember that!

Thanks and best wishes,
Jan

ps After explaining to my partner what I've been doing, I've just realised what your name sounds like:-)
Jan Howard test is offline   Reply With Quote