Old 03-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
MikeMcK
Human being with feelings

Default Waves Tune - yea or nay?

I know Waves is getting a lot of heat here lately, but Tune for $36 is tempting...

But I checked here before buying it and I'm glad I did. Can anyone explain (as if to a 5-year-old) why Tune needs Rewire?

How big a hassle is it? And mainly, who does and doesn't think it's worth it vs. ReaTune? Yes, I'd like to get Melodyne 5, but right now the $36 is what I can spend.

Thanks.
MikeMcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:55 PM   #2
g4greg

Honestly, waves tune is extremely similar to reatune, but has a prettier interface, needs more CPU resources and is buggier.

I find reatune to be as transparent, And dare I say even better on minor corrections. Now, for heavy lifting... Waves tune miiiight sound better, but in that case, you might want to consider getting a better vocalist.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:55 PM   #3
LongDoggo91

I would say stick with ReaTune unless you absolutely need the extra bits'n'bobs that Waves Tune has. Even the UI isn't much prettier. Paying 36 bucks vs. 0 when you get basically the exact same functionality and sound seems like a no-contest to me.

I'm always amazed at just how good ReaTune is for being free.

Also Hi y'all I'm new! I've lurked for some time and appreciate all the help I've gleaned from you good folks so far.
LongDoggo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:59 PM   #4
g4greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDoggo91 View Post
I
I'm always amazed at just how good ReaTune is for being free.

Yeah, reatune is the bomb for minor fixes Saved me a loot of work through the years.

And welcome to the Forum!
Old 03-02-2021, 08:50 PM   #5
MikeMcK

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4greg View Post
Honestly, waves tune is extremely similar to reatune, but has a prettier interface, needs more CPU resources and is buggier.

I find reatune to be as transparent, And dare I say even better on minor corrections. Now, for heavy lifting... Waves tune miiiight sound better, but in that case, you might want to consider getting a better vocalist.
Thanks... this is for at-home demos, and it's just me. I'd ask the cat, but it might destroy my ego. But at least you guys saved me $36.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:16 AM   #6
Stu

Sounds like you already made a decision but just for contrast:

I think Waves Tune LT is quite similar to Reatune in terms of features and functionality as has been said.

However the full Waves Tune has features that Reatune does not, such as controlling, adding or removing vibrato. I find it far more precise, easier to use and more effective than Reatune and I actually think it sounds better too with less artefacts and obvious ‘tells’. It’s one of the only Waves plugins that I still use.

Just my opinion, mileage may vary etc
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:52 AM   #7
MikeMcK

OK, one more question for the guys who've used it.

Assuming I do it anyway (and decide it's worth the hassle of Rewire), what's with the latency? 3072 samples at 48kHz sampling is about 60+ ms. Is that mitigated by either Reaper or the plug? Or do you normally shift the track by hand if the timing sounds iffy?
Old 03-03-2021, 11:21 AM   #8
CraigPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcK View Post
OK, one more question for the guys who've used it.

Assuming I do it anyway (and decide it's worth the hassle of Rewire), what's with the latency? 3072 samples at 48kHz sampling is about 60+ ms. Is that mitigated by either Reaper or the plug? Or do you normally shift the track by hand if the timing sounds iffy?
The latency in Tune, as with any other plug, is compensated for by Reaper, for each track individually, so that they will all be in sync upon playback. While recording a track, plugin compensation is also used, so the recorded track will be in sync with the other tracks upon later playback.

As with any other plug though, you will encounter timing issues IF you monitor the effect on that recording track. You'll need to monitor the zero-latency track input while recording, not the plug.
CraigPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #9
fakemaxwell

I would use ReaTune until you feel like you need something better, then get Melodyne. Waves Tune is not really an upgrade from ReaTune.
fakemaxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #10
MikeMcK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakemaxwell View Post
I would use ReaTune until you feel like you need something better, then get Melodyne. Waves Tune is not really an upgrade from ReaTune.
I've been tempted to get Melodyne, but Essential is 3X the price of Tunes, and it seems that to get some of Tune's features you have to get Assistant (almost 5X the price). Even then, some proponents say any version of Mel except Studio (for $700) is a waste of time.

Honestly, I should just sing better instead of looking to buy a solution.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:13 PM   #11
g4greg

Quote:

YES!

investing in lessons/ rehearsal time will be a lot more rewarding in the long run than covering up your your voice with tech.

No matter how much tech you throw at it, a bad singing voice will always sound fake if the fixes you do are more than a couple fixes here an there. Like I always say, if you need more than reatune, you need a better vocalist/singing lessons.

I do think that melodyne is better than reatune, but it will also sound terrible and fake if it's doing heavy lifting. Unless that robotic voice is something you're actively looking for (pitch correction as an effect, not as a fix)

Everything sounds terrible when it has to do heavy lifting.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #12
fakemaxwell

Quote:
I've been tempted to get Melodyne, but Essential is 3X the price of Tunes, and it seems that to get some of Tune's features you have to get Assistant (almost 5X the price). Even then, some proponents say any version of Mel except Studio (for $700) is a waste of time.

The difference is that Melodyne has ARA2, which greatly improves the pitch editing experience. I'm not super experienced with Essential but I don't think I'd agree that it's a waste of time. The algorithm is the same there's just less advanced tools, you can get the bulk of tuning done with what's in Essential.
fakemaxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:13 PM   #13
LongDoggo91

It may indeed be more worth it in the long run to get some singing lessons from a proper coach. That'll end up saving you a lot of editing time, and the more your confidence in your voice increases, it becomes easier and more fun to do in my experience. You'll end up doing fewer takes, and they'll be better quality. And since most of us are wearing ten different hats (writing, recording, editing, mixing, etc.) efficiency is key (imo)!

Even just hearing one tip like keeping my knees bent when going for higher notes made a massive difference immediately.

... and wow, I didn't know that some of these tuning plugs let you add vibrato, too! Pretty soon we'll just feed it pure sine waves and it'll just transmogrify it into a perfect vocal track.
LongDoggo91 is offline   Reply With Quote