Old 02-16-2021, 03:34 PM   #1
aftercutrecords
Human being with feelings

Default Aggressively Crunchy Vocalign Experiment

Hey all! I recently purchased Vocalign Ultra, and decided to play with some of its functions. It's actually REALLY useful, so far, and I'm of the opinion that I'll be using it for quite a while. Some interesting things to note:

-If you have really tight vibrato in one track, but no vibrato on a dub track, you can end up with artifacts that sounds more like a tuner than an alignment tool.

-You can use this to match pitches really closely, but also to make harmonies.

-In ARA mode, I feel like I get the most out of it by using it on a Take instead of a track. Then I render the Take FX to New Take, and that's the fastest possible method I've seen.

-On Screamed vocals, it seems to be a little hit or miss. But when it works, it REALLY works. It can make vocals sound ridiculously massive and in your face.

-It can be hard to tell the difference between two different performances if you're tight enough in performing it AND you set all the tuning / timing tracks to maximum. It's really really good at making a track like another track.

-You CAN use it on double tracked guitars, but it doesn't always work the way it should. Tweak the algorithms you use if it doesn't seem to line up right. Sometimes you just have to find the right setting to make it just permissive enough while still lining things up correctly. You may be required to make half a dozen edits or so depending on the type of riffing you're doing in order to clean it up, but it's way easier than hundreds of edits if you're aligning every hit to the click on the millisecond it's "supposed' to be

Here's the result of my experimentation!

https://soundcloud.com/philztsuki281...t-and-composed
aftercutrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:27 PM   #2
krahosk

My ears hurt in the process, but it's great that Vocalign works for you.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:20 AM   #3
aftercutrecords

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
My ears hurt in the process, but it's great that Vocalign works for you.

Well, I'm learning how it works. It hasn't worked great for me yet, but it's getting easier every time!

And in regards to the ear ache, I did title it "Aggressively Crunchy" and mentioned in the post that there were screamed vocals I'm not sure what was expected of that!
aftercutrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:09 AM   #4
Rumario

If you played this next to Kurt Cobain's grave, you'd hear a 2nd shot

Just kidding. Nice track