Old 02-10-2021, 01:02 AM   #161
the19thbear
Human being with feelings

Some ideas:
A lock search function.
That means that you search for something and then you get X amounts of results. You then press the "lock", and then you search inside the results you just got. And ONLY in those results.

Another thing:
History.
Have a back/forward button. Not for folder navigation etc, but for your search history. That way you can find what you searched for 3 minutes ago etc.

Both things are something I miss from the software "soundminer", since switching to only using media explorer (which is already really cool so keep up the good work!)

the19thbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:23 AM   #162
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator View Post
It would be really nice to have scalable Fonts in the Media-Explorer (Custom FontSize)
Sooo tiny, can´t read. B-) :-P

thx :-)

---
Yes please!
mozart999uk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:24 AM   #163
mozart999uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by the19thbear View Post
Some ideas:
A lock search function.
That means that you search for something and then you get X amounts of results. You then press the "lock", and then you search inside the results you just got. And ONLY in those results.

Another thing:
History.
Have a back/forward button. Not for folder navigation etc, but for your search history. That way you can find what you searched for 3 minutes ago etc.

Both things are something I miss from the software "soundminer", since switching to only using media explorer (which is already really cool so keep up the good work!)

Great suggestions

Defo to both of these :-)
mozart999uk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:42 AM   #164
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
I can't immediately reproduce that. Does it happen with particular file types, or samplerates, or with tempo match on, or off, or... ?
Hi, have you or anyone other than @Denys and me been able to reproduce this?

From what I can see and hear, presence of the (invisible) click really depends on the start of the selection. When played, it feels as if the very end of selection includes a fraction of the beginning, perhaps related to looping, even if it's not turned on. If the starting point is dead silent, there are no clicks either.

Tempo match: off
no timestretch
start on bar: off
Repeat: off
Reaper preferences: Create fades on inserts: off (if turned on, the click is still there, but more subtle ofc.)

For the test: 24bit wav originals, SR as project (44.1kHz, 32bit fp). DL test-A.wav here

Video how it behaves here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vnZ...ew?usp=sharing

reaper623+dev0209a | macOS10.14

Last edited by PhelixK; 02-10-2021 at 10:29 AM. Reason: link to test-A.wav
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #165
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
From what I can see and hear, presence of the (invisible) click really depends on the start of the selection.
Does anything change if you set the fade length to zero in the media item section properties, in the lower right-hand corner of the media item properties window?
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #166
PhelixK

Quote:
Does anything change if you set the fade length to zero in the media item section properties, in the lower right-hand corner of the media item properties window?
yes, then the end-click disappear for the affected media item.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:58 AM   #167
PhelixK

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
yes, then the end-click disappear for the affected media item.
... so,
when inserting a MX preview section, it then becomes a take source. Is there a general setting to prevent this click caused by take-section-fade?

Editing properties for every inserted section isn't very convenient, also it doesn't fix the issue inside MX preview.

6.23+dev0212
Old 02-18-2021, 12:29 PM   #168
Denys

Quote:

Yes, the click disappears when setting the fade length to zero. But is it a bug or "as designed"? I can't say since when this issue exists but I would say a few months.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:56 AM   #169
-nicolas-

Default File in database can't be found if file path has changed

Hello,

I changed the path of my Sound Library (the hard drive had problems).

Doing this I lost all work I did with databases (carefuly choosing sounds...). I have to redo everything by hand, because there is no search function in Media Explorer.

Would it be possible to implement the same search function as when opening a project ? It could be triggered via context menu of a database.

Nicolas
-nicolas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:05 AM   #170
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -nicolas- View Post
Hello,

I changed the path of my Sound Library (the hard drive had problems).

Doing this I lost all work I did with databases (carefuly choosing sounds...). I have to redo everything by hand, because there is no search function in Media Explorer.

Would it be possible to implement the same search function as when opening a project ? It could be triggered via context menu of a database.

Nicolas
The easiest way to handle this situation is to open the REAPER resource folder. The MediaDB folder there has one .ReaperFileList file per user database, and the first line of each file is the path to that database. You can re-point the database by editing that first line.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:20 AM   #171
Ideosound

Would anyone else find it useful to have the hand tool available in media explorer? If I look in preferences there is no mouse modifier section for media explorer.

I use a Wacom tablet for using Reaper and honestly, for me it's a lot better than a mouse. Especially when it comes to working for long periods. The hand tool is essential for navigation because you don't have a mouse wheel (not on your pen device anyhow, you do have a 'wheel' on the tablet).

Having a hand tool option that would trigger when pushing a mouse button (like right/middle click/drag) when focused on ME would give the same hand tool you can use in the arrangement as media explorer. It would give a more consistent interaction across Reaper.
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:17 AM   #172
Berg

Please consider some tests I did with description metadata in Media Explorer.

When I edit in Reaper track name, just changing the track name, and write the metadata into the wav file, only Reaper is able to read it. Some other softwares like Wave Agent from Sound Device don't consider the change and some description metadata like TC frame rate, track names, notes are lost. There might be a bug or there is something not clear...
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #173
-nicolas-

Quote:
The easiest way to handle this situation is to open the REAPER resource folder. The MediaDB folder there has one .ReaperFileList file per user database, and the first line of each file is the path to that database. You can re-point the database by editing that first line.
Indeed. It worked, thank you.
I would appreciate if it were automated.
Nicolas
-nicolas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:27 PM   #174
gavanbruderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
more funny clickdrag behavior.

1- go to a folder with a lot of files in it (so that you can scroll to the bottom of the folder)
2- scroll to the bottom of the folder.
3- click and drag a file, and drop it in the same folder (ex: user decides not to import the sample, or etc)
4- issue: MX browses back to the "top" of the folder.
5- expected behavior: scroll position shouldn't reset

this is particularly evident due to relatively small mouse movements triggering this "drag" behavior -- another candidate for the "tiny mouse movement" fix that comes around now and then?
I have noticed that this issue is present still, but only after I've performed a search. You can replicate this issue by performing a search within a folder, and performing the same steps above with the file list from the search result.

Can anyone else confirm this?
gavanbruderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:22 PM   #175
deeb

I am having issues with previewing samples, with "auto play" on and "start on bar" on! While project playing, No sound Preview most of the times altho it's playing. It's really messed or i am missing something strange.

is it working ok for everyone?

Last edited by deeb; 03-25-2021 at 10:35 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:41 AM   #176
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavanbruderer View Post
I have noticed that this issue is present still, but only after I've performed a search. You can replicate this issue by performing a search within a folder, and performing the same steps above with the file list from the search result. Can anyone else confirm this?
yes, confirmed.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:49 PM   #177
PelF

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=250169
PelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #178
ovnis

It would be great if one click = one play from the start of the item. It would be more logical and faster than the actual behavior.

Actually, when we click again on the item played, it doesen't play again from the start. So we have to click on an another item, then on the desired item.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:37 PM   #179
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
It would be great if one click = one play from the start of the item. It would be more logical and faster than the actual behavior.

Actually, when we click again on the item played, it doesen't play again from the start. So we have to click on an another item, then on the desired item.
i agree! current behaviour is very unpredictable and undesired for me. Reaper try to play in middle of the loop but then some times i need to wait like 2 or 3 bars before is audible. wouldn't like to wait more then 1 bar or maybe even half bar.. when i am searching for sounds. I expect quickest preview after clicking a file as much as possible...

And i think i prefer the playing always start on the beginning of the sample.
It used to be like this, no? is there an option to change this?

Last edited by deeb; 03-26-2021 at 11:42 PM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:27 PM   #180
fuzzball

When you copy and paste a file from Windows Explorer to Media Explorer there is no progress indicator. If the file is multi gigabyte from a slow external drive it can take a very long time, and while the copy is in progress Reaper has the appearance of being unresponsive.

It would be nice to have a file copy progress indicator.
fuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #181
mlouisgordon

Is there currently a way to add tree view to a Database?
Say I have a Database pointed at Directory :E\, that includes various folders and subfolders of sound fx libraries.

I'd like those all to be in a tree view, with the option to run a search on the WHOLE directory :E\ and get immediate results from throughout (because it would already be indexed as a database).
mlouisgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #182
alexgameaudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlouisgordon View Post
Is there currently a way to add tree view to a Database?
Say I have a Database pointed at Directory :E\, that includes various folders and subfolders of sound fx libraries.

I'd like those all to be in a tree view, with the option to run a search on the WHOLE directory :E\ and get immediate results from throughout (because it would already be indexed as a database).
+1 for this, I posted earlier to request this same feature. Nice to know I'm not alone!
alexgameaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:17 AM   #183
Cloudswim

Default Sample BPM disappears when moved to a new folder?

Hi how come the sample BPM disappears when moved to a new folder in media explorer?

Also wondering what does it mean when one of the tags shows in Blue kind of highlighted

Last edited by Cloudswim; 04-23-2021 at 06:55 AM.
Cloudswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #184
Cloudswim

Is there currently a way to drag and drop Midi or audio files directly into the media explorer to save its contents ?
Old 04-26-2021, 06:06 AM   #185
zookthespook

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Not sure, but the challenge is keeping the cache fresh. On a side note, if you want to be able to search a few million files instantly on your computer try an app called Everything.

It indexed my entire machine (4 million files) in about 1 minute.
This is insanely fast !!! thank you for pointing this one out !
best
zook
zookthespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:16 AM   #186
FeedTheCat

I think I found a small bug. The "Set as favorite" action doesn't work correctly on randomized file lists (Action: Randomize file list). It sorts the list again... That's on Linux, can someone confirm?
Old 04-28-2021, 05:23 AM   #187
schwa
Administrator

Fixing, thanks for the report.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:33 AM   #188
FeedTheCat

Nice, thx schwa!
Old 04-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #189
svijayrathinam

Feauture request:

It would be very useful to scan a folder full of impulse responses and make a database in media explorer and load the file directly into focused reaverb..just like how you allow loading a file into reaper’s sampler. Pls..this will be very useful to manage impulse responses
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:44 PM   #190
lerian

I wish it would expand the tree to the current folder, like in windows explorer. Easier to navigate and see what's where.
lerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:10 AM   #191
PelF

Is it possible to turn off automatic text selection in the search box? Thanks!

PelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 06:06 AM   #192
Thunderfinger

Feature request:

Select multiple outputs for media explorer or play through pre-selected track.

I use the media explorer in voice recording sessions to playback other actors' previously recorded lines to the actors while they are recording so we can hear the whole conversation. However, I have to send the media explorer to multiple outputs at once. Currently, the only way to do so is to "play through selected track" and to set the outputs I want in that track. This is not ideal, because as soon as I click in another track, I loose my media explorer routing. Being able to select multiple outputs, or a specific track to play through would be a great improvement to this workflow.
Thunderfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:11 AM   #193
mccrabney

try using the rearoute loopback outputs sending to a dedicated mixer track in your default project.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:37 AM   #194
Thunderfinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
try using the rearoute loopback outputs sending to a dedicated mixer track in your default project.
Unfortunately, I am using portable installs of Reaper for ease of updating/sharing in multiple studios. As far as I know, rearoute is not an option with portable installs.
Thunderfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:17 AM   #195
mccrabney

that's too bad. big +1 for dedicated target track output, it's been a really handy function to simulate with rearoute.

earlier, i had grown frustrated by the media explorer's tune knob and it's lack of 1 cent increment/decrements. however, with a mixer track, i can use reapitch + reatune for fine control, fulfilling the FR and then some.

Last edited by mccrabney; 05-06-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:11 PM   #196
Denys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denys View Post
Yes, the click disappears when setting the fade length to zero. But is it a bug or "as designed"? I can't say since when this issue exists but I would say a few months.

Hello schwa, sorry to bother you with this again, but is the behaviour (with the click) we talked about as designed? I wonder if I changed some setting by mistake or if it's a bug that will eventually be fixed.
Old 05-11-2021, 01:07 AM   #197
Cloudswim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudswim View Post
Hi how come the sample BPM disappears when moved to a new folder in media explorer?

Also wondering what does it mean when one of the tags shows in Blue kind of highlighted
Had anyone noticed this behaviour ? When moving files between folders the embed BPM info will disappear ?
Old 05-11-2021, 04:39 AM   #198
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denys View Post
Hello schwa, sorry to bother you with this again, but is the behaviour (with the click) we talked about as designed? I wonder if I changed some setting by mistake or if it's a bug that will eventually be fixed.
Yes, this is intended behavior. If you have "section" and "fade" enabled at the bottom of Media Item Properties, the item will play back only the defined section of the underlying media file, and will overlap and crossfade the end of the media with the start of the next loop. The unexpected audio you are hearing is the start of the next loop, which is overlapped with the end of the current loop.

If you're not intending to loop the audio, there's no need to enable either the section or fade behavior. This is controlled within the media explorer via Options > Enable looping when inserting selected portion of media, which can also be overridden via the right-click menu when selecting a portion of the preview media.
Old 05-11-2021, 04:42 AM   #199
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudswim View Post

Metadata is cached for each folder. If you move a file and the metadata disappears, select the media and choose "re-read metadata from media" from the right-click menu to populate the cache.

If you edit a metadata tag by typing a new value into the media explorer, that edited value will be stored in the cache but not automatically written back into the media file, and will appear in blue. If you want to permanently write the edited value into the media file, choose "write edited metadata to media" from the right-click menu.

If you edited a metadata tag by typing in a new value, didn't write the edited metadata to the media, then moved the media to a new folder, the edited value will essentially disappear, because it's only stored in the metadata cache and the file is no longer associated with the folder where the cache is.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:53 AM   #200
gxray

I don't have anything constructive to add, I just want to say that the Media Explorer is one of my -- (maybe my most?) -- favorite parts of REAPER.

It's might not be the prettiest thing, but the speed and the amount of functionality it packs is obscene.

Using REAPER's Media Explorer ruined other DAW's for me. The automatic tempo and pitch sync/manipulation options, being able to slice and drag parts of the preview waveform into the arranger or to plugins, and the fact REAPER has spectral peaks + you can visualize what your item sounds like at glance in the preview. To name a few.

FL Studio -- I mean Imagine Line is worth how many hundreds of millions? And they don't even do rudimentary tempo detection + sync on unlabeled media samples. Wth, unusable lol.

So thank you for the Media Explorer.