Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
Tycho
Human being with feelings

Default Action for "Record: disable" all tracks other than currently selected?

I'm running into an issue with complex midi projects where I'm triggering external hardware via midi from tracks in reaper and then monitoring their audio output back in through other tracks. So let's say I have a midi input track record armed and connected to my midi controller and I have a few tracks playing back already recorded midi and a few tracks input monitoring the audio coming back from the hardware synths that those midi tracks are triggering. So now it's time to record another midi track, so I hit record, but now it's recording the new midi and all the audio tracks. I know I can right click the record arm button and select "Record: Disable" but it's time consuming and a little confusing to sort through that every time you just want to quickly record some new midi (I'm constantly switching record modes back and forth to record in some audio and move it to another track to layer so it gets confusing to remember which tracks are input monitoring and which are record enabled. I could describe other scenarios where this is an issue but hopefully you get the idea.

So what I'd really like is a "Record Solo" feature or barring that, an action or workflow that would enable me to select a track and say "only record enable this track, independent of any other armed tracks record state". all the other tracks with record armed would be temporarily set to "Record:disabled (input monitoring only)" for the duration of the next recording. Is this possible?

For me personally, the most logical solution would be to decouple the record arm button from input monitoring. if I hit the input monitoring speaker icon, I should hear audio and it shouldn't have anything to do with recording. I'm probably not considering something here that would make this undesirable in a lot of other use cases, but just a thought.

really appreciate any ideas on how to accomplish something like this.
thanks
Tycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:39 PM   #2
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
So what I'd really like is a "Record Solo" feature or barring that, an action or workflow that would enable me to select a track and say "only record enable this track, independent of any other armed tracks record state". all the other tracks with record armed would be temporarily set to "Record:disabled (input monitoring only)" for the duration of the next recording. Is this possible?
There is an action to set selected tracks to only monitor:
Track: Set track record mode to none (monitoring only)

So if you would first select all the tracks, run this action and then record arm only the track you want to, would that help any?

There is also an invert selection action, so you could set up a custom action where you first select only the track you want to record to, the custom action then inverts the selection, sets the other tracks to only monitor, inverts the selection again and arms the recording.

So it would look something like this:
SWS: Toggle (invert) track selection
Track: Set track record mode to none (monitoring only)
SWS: Toggle (invert) track selection
Xenakios/SWS: Set selected tracks record armed

This wouldn't solve the need to get all the other tracks back to the state they were before recording though.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Tycho

that's perfect thanks! I don't really need all the other tracks to return to their original state, might actually make more sense to leave them input monitoring only and switch them back as needed.
thanks so much, I guess my actions list searching skills need some work.

edit: only issue with this is that is sets all other tracks to input monitoring only, not just record armed tracks. not a huge deal but would be nice if it left unarmed tracks alone in case I later arm them and want to record without having to set it back.

edit 2: another issue is that if the selected track has recording set to disabled it will not change it back to record mode with that final action so I added "Set track record mode to input"

also made another action that sets all tracks back to record mode: input and I just run that after I'm done recording

Last edited by Tycho; 07-02-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
xpander

Quote:
edit: only issue with this is that is sets all other tracks to input monitoring only, not just record armed tracks. not a huge deal but would be nice if it left unarmed tracks alone in case I later arm them and want to record without having to set it back.
Ok, I missed this earlier. There are couple of actions which would select only the rec armed tracks:
SWS: Select armed tracks
SWS: Select only rec armed track(s)

That would have to be worked into the custom action depending on how you would like to do the initial track selection.

Quote:
edit 2: another issue is that if the selected track has recording set to disabled it will not change it back to record mode with that final action so I added "Set track record mode to input"
also made another action that sets all tracks back to record mode: input and I just run that after I'm done recording
Good to hear that you got that one going.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #5
Tycho

awesome thanks. got this hooked up to WRB and it's working really nicely
thanks for all the help
Old 07-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #6
xpander

You're most welcome Tycho, glad to hear it's working.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:16 AM   #7
Cloudswim

Quote:
that's perfect thanks! I don't really need all the other tracks to return to their original state, might actually make more sense to leave them input monitoring only and switch them back as needed.
thanks so much, I guess my actions list searching skills need some work.

you could also set it up as a cycle action on just one button, so press it when you want to solo rec and press again to stop and set all the tracks to original Record state.

Cycle Action : SOLO RECORD -> Stop REC & set Tracks to original REC state

Script: me2beats_Save selected tracks, slot 1.lua
SWS: Select only Rec armed track(s)
Script: me2beats_Save selected tracks, slot 2.lua
Xenakios/SWS: Set selected tracks record unarmed
Script: me2beats_Restore selected tracks, slot 1.lua
Transport - REC

! - Step

Transport - Stop
Script: me2beats_Restore selected tracks, slot 2.lua
Cloudswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:37 AM   #8
MCJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudswim View Post
you could also set it up as a cycle action on just one button, so press it when you want to solo rec and press again to stop and set all the tracks to original Record state.

Cycle Action : SOLO RECORD -> Stop REC & set Tracks to original REC state

Script: me2beats_Save selected tracks, slot 1.lua
SWS: Select only Rec armed track(s)
Script: me2beats_Save selected tracks, slot 2.lua
Xenakios/SWS: Set selected tracks record unarmed
Script: me2beats_Restore selected tracks, slot 1.lua
Transport - REC

! - Step

Transport - Stop
Script: me2beats_Restore selected tracks, slot 2.lua
Thanks Cloudswim! I've learned lots from your post and could set this up with my own twist thanks to that.
MCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:27 AM   #9
Cloudswim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCJ View Post
Thanks Cloudswim! I've learned lots from your post and could set this up with my own twist thanks to that.
cool glad I can help, thanks.
Cloudswim is offline   Reply With Quote