Old 02-10-2021, 12:15 PM   #81
ferropop
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Wool View Post
Zone Markers sound interesting...
Or call them Take/Comp Markers, or whatever!

My idea basically : splits should have nothing to do with comping takes. Let them do what they do best - split things. A Zone/Take Marker would take the role that splits currently (incorrectly) occupy, without dicing-up the takes!

I think Studio One works this way? It appears as a solid item, but when you expose the lanes you see the comp borders. It's also why S1 plays so nicely with VocAlign - I think it exposes the comp itself to VocAlign rather than the 400,000 split items.

Can you imagine putting VocAlign as an Item FX on every split piece? This actually makes ARA2 VocAlign in Reaper almost useless, as you have to render the vocals and ensure the items are of similar length, etc. This could solve all of that!

Last edited by ferropop; 02-10-2021 at 12:28 PM.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 01:05 PM   #82
gvdv

This looks fantastic.

I hope Justin and the Reaper Team implement this immediately.

Thanks very much for this.
gvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #83
AudioBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
These are your friends:

Thank you! That get me some of the way. But is there a way to merge all the takes that have been split up like in the example here? Doing it manually is really painful :P

AudioBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:15 AM   #84
daxliniere

Hey FTC, I gave this a script a good run today. Wow, really fantastic, I'm making a little donation.

I wanted to ask if it was necessary for tracks to be displayed with takes split into small pieces (take lanes) when recording? It's not the end of the world, but would be nice if there was no visual difference to the normal recording modes.

Thanks again for your work and all the best.
-Dax.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:39 AM   #85
daxliniere

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
I wanted to ask if it was necessary for tracks to be displayed with takes split into small pieces (take lanes) when recording? It's not the end of the world, but would be nice if there was no visual difference to the normal recording modes.
Oh shit! Actually, I think this might be really cool. I just tried to edit a vocal track while recording and I think the separate lanes thing might be good.

EDIT: No, actually, you end up with duplicate takes in the media item if you edit during recording with this script running.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:34 AM   #86
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Hey FTC, I gave this a script a good run today. Wow, really fantastic, I'm making a little donation.

Thanks again for your work and all the best.
-Dax.

Thx dax, unfortunately it isn't possible (without rewriting the whole script and using maybe other methods). The script automatically switches into the recording mode "Creates new media items in separate lanes(layers)" to avoid the splits. For some reason "Show overlapping media items in lanes (when room)" is greyed out and always active with this recording mode.

Quote:
Oh shit! Actually, I think this might be really cool. I just tried to edit a vocal track while recording and I think the separate lanes thing might be good.

EDIT: No, actually, you end up with duplicate takes in the media item if you edit during recording with this script running.
Hadn't thought about editing takes during recording. I think I can fix that, is it only happening when splitting, or with other editing actions as well?
Old 02-15-2021, 03:55 PM   #87
daxliniere

Hey Ilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Thx dax, unfortunately it isn't possible (without rewriting the whole script
No worries, not the end of the world.

Quote:
Hadn't thought about editing takes during recording. I think I can fix that, is it only happening when splitting, or with other editing actions as well?
Thankyou!
I found it when I adjusted a crossfade during recording. Maybe it happens with split as well?
Old 02-17-2021, 05:03 AM   #88
FeedTheCat

forgot to mention, I uploaded a fix yesterday. Hope it fixes the issue.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:31 PM   #89
daxliniere

Thank you, Ilias! I'll test it and let you know.

Cheers!
Old 03-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #90
Dark River

@FeedTheCat: the script doesn't seem to work when recording mode: time selection auto punch is enabled. It will record the entire item, disregarding the time selection.
My time selection is not linked to loop points.

6.23, SWS 2.12.1.3, Win 10

Thanks.

Last edited by Dark River; 03-02-2021 at 04:38 PM.
Dark River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:09 AM   #91
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark River View Post
@FeedTheCat: the script doesn't seem to work when recording mode: time selection auto punch is enabled. It will record the entire item, disregarding the time selection.
My time selection is not linked to loop points.

6.23, SWS 2.12.1.3, Win 10

Thanks.
When the script is active it acts like a 4th recording mode. So (unfortunately) it won't with time selection auto-punch.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:27 AM   #92
Dark River

Quote:
When the script is active it acts like a 4th recording mode. So (unfortunately) it won't with time selection auto-punch.
Thanks for the explanation FTC. Great script regardless.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:10 PM   #93
Zoom_Wajaja

Quote:
Hi guys,

I made two scripts a while back, that basically disable take auto-splitting when running in the background. Internally they work by automatically switching the recording mode to "record into lanes(layers)" and then cutting up the new layer when recording is done.

One caveat: You have to undo twice to undo your recorded take. (The first undo will bring back the recorded layer)

A: Without item extending (treat edges of items like splits)

B: With item extending

You can find the scripts on my github or download them using ReaPack:

Copy and paste this link into: Extensions > ReaPack > Import a repository
Code:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/iliaspoulakis/Reaper-Tools/master/index.xml
Donation Link
Hey FeedTheCat I tried this version of the script and it's great but I would like to ask you if you can upload it to the stash, cause that way would be easier for a lot of people to access to it, not everyone knows how to download ReaPack and finally get it running, when you shared it in the stash at first it was more accessible for common people using Reaper for the first time. Thanks!
Zoom_Wajaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:49 AM   #94
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom_Wajaja View Post
Hey FeedTheCat I tried this version of the script and it's great but I would like to ask you if you can upload it to the stash, cause that way would be easier for a lot of people to access to it, not everyone knows how to download ReaPack and finally get it running, when you shared it in the stash at first it was more accessible for common people using Reaper for the first time. Thanks!
Sure, just updated the files
Old 04-01-2021, 04:41 AM   #95
daxliniere

Hey FTC!

I'm in session and have somehow gotten stuck in the 'Show overlapping media items in lanes (when room)' mode. Perhaps the script enabled it, but then crashed? No idea, but no items are overlapping.

I tried toggling the setting from the Actions window, but it doesn't change from the on state.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Dax.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:19 AM   #96
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Hey FTC!

I'm in session and have somehow gotten stuck in the 'Show overlapping media items in lanes (when room)' mode. Perhaps the script enabled it, but then crashed? No idea, but no items are overlapping.

I tried toggling the setting from the Actions window, but it doesn't change from the on state.

Any ideas?

Cheers!
Dax.
Hmm, it's not a toggle action (it's three options), so toggling in the action list won't work. Maybe just enable the option you want through the options?

Old 04-01-2021, 04:30 PM   #97
daxliniere

Ahhh, I didn't realise they weren't toggled, but instead a 3-state setting. Thank you so much! I got it working.

By the way, today I found that I kept getting stuck in media-item-lanes mode. Not sure why it kept happening again and again, but I'll keep an eye on it during my next tracking session.

Cheers for the help!
Old 04-13-2021, 12:54 AM   #98
todoublez

Default thank god !

wow this makes the take system more usable than ever b4
many thanx to u FTC!

one little request , is it possible to make it have toggle state ?
so we can distinguish is it on or off from the toolbar in once glance
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #99
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by todoublez View Post
wow this makes the take system more usable than ever b4
many thanx to u FTC!

one little request , is it possible to make it have toggle state ?
so we can distinguish is it on or off from the toolbar in once glance
Hmmm, the toolbar toggle state works fine here. What's happening on your end?
Old 04-13-2021, 08:39 PM   #100
todoublez

Quote:
Hmmm, the toolbar toggle state works fine here. What's happening on your end?

Sry for my stupidity !
I picked the wrong icon which doesn't show on&off state ...
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:59 AM   #101
FeedTheCat

No worries, glad there's no bug
Old 05-13-2021, 05:42 PM   #102
christann87

Default You're my saviour!

FTC, you're my saviour! X-Raym put me on to your script when I panicked about a recording coming up the day after tomorrow. Since switching to Reaper, I had been able to find a work around for nearly everything I need but the take versions was something that could potentially be a huge issue. I'm a classical engineer and dealing with lots of tracks simultaneously. Usually I just hit record and put in take markers but this time I need to send a backing track to cans while being able to record small sections after. If I have to do the same section more than once, it starts to look really messy. Your solution is fantastic, thank you so much.
christann87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:25 PM   #103
ferropop

Just bumping my proposition for Swipe Comping behaviour, scriptable with everything available to us at this moment.

Here's how it could be implemented today, without adding anything special.

1. Initial Comp

2. Razor Edit "swipe" over desired section, mouse over desired take

3. Split at RE edges

4. Explode takes out to new tracks

5. Glue all takes to length of RE

6. Implode takes back into original track, make active "desired take" from step 2.

...for reference, the original "swipe":

That process is obviously scriptable because I just did it by hand. Even better: implemented natively.

Ideally 4/5/6 would be done "internally" without having to create all these new tracks. This is just me doing the necessary steps in the only way available to us.

Thoughts?

EDIT : instead of GLUE in step 5, can just do a HEAL and resize -- this keeps the original source files!
Old 05-13-2021, 06:28 PM   #104
ferropop

With the new Fixed Lanes stuff coming, these operations could (hopefully/technically) be done within the track itself rather than exploding out to new tracks which surely would mess with ARA2 Melodyne.

Just trying to help guide it along with some ideas haha.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:49 AM   #105
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by christann87 View Post
FTC, you're my saviour! X-Raym put me on to your script when I panicked about a recording coming up the day after tomorrow. Since switching to Reaper, I had been able to find a work around for nearly everything I need but the take versions was something that could potentially be a huge issue. I'm a classical engineer and dealing with lots of tracks simultaneously. Usually I just hit record and put in take markers but this time I need to send a backing track to cans while being able to record small sections after. If I have to do the same section more than once, it starts to look really messy. Your solution is fantastic, thank you so much.
Great! Nice to hear in what context you're using it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Thoughts?
Hmmm, this would have also been possible with only time selection, right? Btw, I don't think it's a coincidence that the devs added media item lanes while working on razor edits. So there's hope!
Old 10-19-2021, 06:55 AM   #106
OLSHALOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Nice !

I have made scripts to handle this problem after recoridng but not in background like that... can be very handy, thx !

note : consider reapack for sharing :P

https://reapack.com/upload

What's the name of that script?
OLSHALOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:29 AM   #107
TonE

Best question. Thanks. Was thinking same all the time reading here. Having 5000 .lua scripts one should know the names, making life a bit easier.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:58 AM   #108
Slybebop

Hi FTC!

I have encountered an issue with the scripts.
When I activate them, it seems they completely break the take system.

Here is a liceCap showing the issue:

Rec 1: vanilla behaviour with no script enable

Rec 2: script without the "extend item" function.

Rec 3: script with "extend items" variant on

Options setup:
- Show all take in lanes (when room) On
- Take lane behaviour > Display empty take lanes
- New Recording that overlaps existing media items > Splits existing items and creates new takes (default)

It seems the take lanes behaviour is completly overidden by the layers behaviour, but that only shows up during recording. After recording, the items are overlapping each other and are not takes.

EDIT: forgot to mention, this is on the latest version of the scripts and of Reaper (6.49)

https://imgur.com/a/97xuXER (couldn't find a way to embed a long gif)
Slybebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:46 AM   #109
daniellumertz

I think you are recording in Lanes not takes

Options > New Recording that overlaps existing media items
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 12:38 PM   #110
Slybebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
I think you are recording in Lanes not takes

Options > New Recording that overlaps existing media items
So indeed, when I turn on either of the scripts and start recording, the Recording mode changes to layer, even though I was in takes, and the toggle for "show overlapping media items in lanes" turns on as well (which sounds like it is intended?)

Both return to default / off when the recording is stopped.

Can't tell why this happens though.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:09 PM   #111
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slybebop View Post
So indeed, when I turn on either of the scripts and start recording, the Recording mode changes to layer, even though I was in takes, and the toggle for "show overlapping media items in lanes" turns on as well (which sounds like it is intended?)

Both return to default / off when the recording is stopped.

Can't tell why this happens though.
That's how the script works (check out the original post). I can't replicate the issue though. It works here with reaper v6.49.

I see you're using custom actions to trigger record etc. Can you check if it works when you record using the transport (or native actions)?.

If it still doesn't work, it might be some reaper setting. If you send me your reaper.ini file I might be able to find it.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:16 PM   #112
Slybebop

Quote:
That's how the script works (check out the original post). I can't replicate the issue though. It works here with reaper v6.49.

I see you're using custom actions to trigger record etc. Can you check if it works when you record using the transport (or native actions)?.

If it still doesn't work, it might be some reaper setting. If you send me your reaper.ini file I might be able to find it.
Ok, that's my bad I just tried it on a portable vanilla install of Reaper I keep around and the scripts work as expected.
The only reason I didn't do my due diligence this time was because a friend of mine had the same issue on a completely different setup than mine, but my Reaper config is quite customized.

I'll try to narrow down what caused the issue and I'll get back to you!

Thank you for your time!
Old 03-10-2022, 02:06 PM   #113
jfog

Default Another Awesome Script

Quote:
Hi guys,

I made two scripts a while back, that basically disable take auto-splitting when running in the background. Internally they work by automatically switching the recording mode to "record into lanes(layers)" and then cutting up the new layer when recording is done.

One caveat: You have to undo twice to undo your recorded take. (The first undo will bring back the recorded layer)

Awesome! This kind of thing should be standard in REAPER.
Old 01-16-2023, 03:40 AM   #114
Hipox

Hi FeedTheCat!

I find your scripts extremely useful, but as of last reaper update (6.73) I can not get them to work properly.
If I turn one of them on, no takes are created anymore, only overlapping items are created on a track.

It may be a problem with my configuration, but I tried all settings possible I know of that could cause problems.

Thank you in advance
Hipox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:09 AM   #115
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipox View Post
Hi FeedTheCat!

I find your scripts extremely useful, but as of last reaper update (6.73) I can not get them to work properly.
If I turn one of them on, no takes are created anymore, only overlapping items are created on a track.

It may be a problem with my configuration, but I tried all settings possible I know of that could cause problems.

Thank you in advance
Can you make a GIF maybe? It's still working for me on v6.73.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:03 AM   #116
Hipox

Quote:
Can you make a GIF maybe? It's still working for me on v6.73.

I was not able to fit gif size into specifications of reaper forum upload system, so I gathered all information and video I think might be useful in this Google Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...9f?usp=sharing
Old 01-17-2023, 07:30 AM   #117
FeedTheCat

Looks like you have some custom script to stop recording. Can you try if it works when you stop recording without it? E.g. by pressing the stop button on the transport.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:02 AM   #118
Hipox

Quote:
Looks like you have some custom script to stop recording. Can you try if it works when you stop recording without it? E.g. by pressing the stop button on the transport.
You are absolutely right, that was the issue. Thank you!

It seems like the issue is incompatibility with SWS Cycle Actions.
I modified play/pause functionality to trigger two more actions on stop and even when I delete them and leave the SWS CA as on the picture, it keeps defaulting to the behaviour described in my previous post.

It seems my only option for now is create a modified version of your script that does not run in defer mode and only executes when triggered manually/by other script (so I can put it in SWS Cycle Action) which seems as quite intense work at my current skill level.
Attached Images
File Type: png play-pause sws.png (6.8 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Hipox; 01-17-2023 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2023, 11:43 AM   #119
FeedTheCat

The scripts do their thing when they detect the undo-point "Recorded media".

In the code it looks like this:
Code:
 if reaper.Undo_CanUndo2(0) == 'Recorded media' then
I think there's two options here. Either modding the script to respond to a different undo point, or making sure somehow that no additional undopoint is created after "Recorded media" (I'm assuming there is).
Old 01-19-2023, 01:34 AM   #120
Hipox

Quote:
The scripts do their thing when they detect the undo-point "Recorded media".

In the code it looks like this:
Code:
 if reaper.Undo_CanUndo2(0) == 'Recorded media' then
I think there's two options here. Either modding the script to respond to a different undo point, or making sure somehow that no additional undopoint is created after "Recorded media" (I'm assuming there is).
You were right. I translated my Cycle Actions into Lua script and now everything works as expected. Thank you