Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 12-30-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
tourny
Human being with feelings

Default Status -- Behringer X-Touch + Klinke MCU

Hello everyone,

I've read a bunch of discussions regarding the X-Touch on the forum. The general feeling I'm getting is that the X-Touch works great in MCU mode with Klinke's mod. However, I'd like to make sure all the info I have is current. Are there any features of the X-Touch that will not work in Reaper at this time? In particular, the faders will still be touch-sensitive, correct?

Context: I am a prospective buyer looking to upgrade from the Behringer BCF2000 by getting touch-sensitive faders to make automating multiple tracks in touch mode easier.

Thanks!
tourny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #2
tourny

Hey!

Went ahead and made the purchase anyway. If anyone has the same question in the future, the X-Touch is 99% functional in Reaper with Klinke's MCU mod and the latest firmware (1.15). There are only two buttons which do nothing and cannot be programmed: The REPLACE button and the NUDGE button, the latter of which Klinke's manual says has yet to be implemented. The LCD scribble displays cannot be colored in Reaper, but they cannot be colored in any DAW. Colors apparently only work in conjunction with the Xair.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
azslow3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourny View Post
The LCD scribble displays cannot be colored in Reaper, but they cannot be colored in any DAW. Colors apparently only work in conjunction with the Xair.
Precisely, colors can work when XTouch is connected throw MIDI or Ethernet, but not throw USB. And only when the DAW will present itself as Xair. That is possible (I have tested) but requires special implementation, which in fact does not (yet) exist in any DAW.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
Adralicus

Quote:
Hey!

Went ahead and made the purchase anyway. If anyone has the same question in the future, the X-Touch is 99% functional in Reaper with Klinke's MCU mod and the latest firmware (1.15).
I'm not having much luck with this. My tests show that using Klinke's MCU mod is pretty sketchy. Basic fader and pan work although I need to move the 2nd fader in order to control the first track. So everything is offset by one. All the scribble strips have 5 vertical lines below the track numbers. Although track one has no number and has 6 horizontal lines instead. The fact that Reaper is relying on 3rd party implementation by someone who was more or less given up developing it is not good really. We need a solid native MCU implementation.Coming from Samplitude the MCU implementation is far superior.
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H | Intel Haswell i7 4770K | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Crucial 512mb SSD System Drive | 1 x Crucial 960gb SSD A/V Drive | 1 x Crucial 960gb SSD Samples Drive | 1x Gigabyte GTX 960 2gb | 40" 4k Monitor | RME Fireface 400 |Windows 10 x64
Adralicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
tourny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adralicus View Post
I'm not having much luck with this. My tests show that using Klinke's MCU mod is pretty sketchy. Basic fader and pan work although I need to move the 2nd fader in order to control the first track. So everything is offset by one. All the scribble strips have 5 vertical lines below the track numbers. Although track one has no number and has 6 horizontal lines instead.
How did you connect the Behringer X-Touch to your computer (USB, MIDI?) and set it up? This sounds more like my experience with the BCF2000, where the first fader was the master fader and the rest were offset by one. The scribble strips do show the vertical lines beneath the track name when in Pan mode, but switch to show numbers if a fader is touched. They also show different text entirely when you switch to different modes (Send and Plugin are pretty different.

I agree that Reaper ought to have better native MCU support but I'm sure they are working on it. I am confused as to why our experiences with Klinke's MCU are so different, however.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
Adralicus

I am connected using USB.When I open Reaper with 16 tracks, the Pan surround button is flashing. Plus the EQ and send buttons are yellow. What do you mean "switch to show numbers if fader is touched"?Is that a setting somewhere? If I touch the fader the number is shown but after a couple of seconds the vertical lines return.
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H | Intel Haswell i7 4770K | 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz | Crucial 512mb SSD System Drive | 1 x Crucial 960gb SSD A/V Drive | 1 x Crucial 960gb SSD Samples Drive | 1x Gigabyte GTX 960 2gb | 40" 4k Monitor | RME Fireface 400 |Windows 10 x64
Old 01-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #7
tourny

I'll go through how I set it up starting from start to finish.

1. Power on the X-Touch while pressing the select button on Channel 1 (furthest to the left). It should come up with options for "Mode" and "Ifc" under the first and second encoders. Set mode to "MC" and Ifc to "USB". Press Select again to return to the X-Touch proper.

2. Open Reaper. Under Options -> Preferences, scroll down to Control/OSC/Web. Click "Add." On the window that appears, select "Mackie Control (Klinke)." For both MIDI Input and MIDI Output, select "X-Touch."

3. The X-Touch should now begin communicating with Reaper. Pan/Surround should be flashing yellow, and at least the EQ button should be illuminated yellow. These buttons indicate what mode you are in, so all the available ones will light up yellow and your current mode will flash. If you have a plugin or a send on a track, then the Plug-In and Send lights should also light up yellow. Touching a fader causes numbers appear and remain there until the finger is removed. Each track name has six vertical lines below it.

Did you do something different from me?
Old 01-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #8
Adralicus

Thanks for the explanation. Everything seems to be more or less the same as your settings. I've had the X Touch more less since it was released so I'm familiar with setting up but thanks anyway. I'm used to using it in Samplitude. Samplitude has a very good hardware controller editor where you can reassign various buttons to different functions.Is there some kind of configuration editor in Reaper? I will do some more testing in the meantime.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
tourny

Weird. The only things I can think of that would make us have different results are X-Touch firmware version and Reaper software version (I see that we have the same operating system in your signature).

As far as I know there isn't a configuration editor. However, while I was trying to see if I could make the BCF2000 do what I wanted, one of the methods I tried involved doing to the MIDI devices tab and selecting the BCF2000 as a MIDI Input Devices (with control messages enabled) and then only setting up the BCF2000 for output under Control/Osc/Web. I think this allowed all of the buttons on the device to be picked up as MIDI input by Reaper and they could therefore be mapped to actions in the action list the same way you can do with keyboard keys.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:13 PM   #10
Mc Green

Quote:
I'm not having much luck with this. My tests show that using Klinke's MCU mod is pretty sketchy. Basic fader and pan work although I need to move the 2nd fader in order to control the first track. So everything is offset by one. All the scribble strips have 5 vertical lines below the track numbers. Although track one has no number and has 6 horizontal lines instead. The fact that Reaper is relying on 3rd party implementation by someone who was more or less given up developing it is not good really. We need a solid native MCU implementation.Coming from Samplitude the MCU implementation is far superior.
I have the same problem with the fader on channel 1, did you find any solution of this?
Mc Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #11
LugNut

Hi,
Maybe the problem is you need to read the klinke manual ?
There are some options that can be set as to what is reflected on the board. Klinkes is a bit deeper than your standard control surface extension.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #12
Mc Green

Today my new x-touch arrived. I updated the firmware and hooked it up with my xr-18 and my ReaperPC. Everything works and i can flip between xr-18 and my DAW by pushing only one button.
Case closed!
Mc Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #13
denmalley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc Green View Post
Today my new x-touch arrived. I updated the firmware and hooked it up with my xr-18 and my ReaperPC. Everything works and i can flip between xr-18 and my DAW by pushing only one button.
Case closed!
I'm trying to accomplish this as well, but having issues. Are you using Klinke's mod or straight out of the box? In dual mode on the xtouch I only see MIDI and Network under the IFC option during setup (hold select of track 1 while powering on). I already have a XR18 working via ethernet so I really hope to not have to chnge this. How does the reaper PC "see" the xtouch over the network? Or do I have to switch to midi and reconfigure everything?
denmalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #14
kenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by denmalley View Post
I'm trying to accomplish this as well, but having issues. Are you using Klinke's mod or straight out of the box? In dual mode on the xtouch I only see MIDI and Network under the IFC option during setup (hold select of track 1 while powering on). I already have a XR18 working via ethernet so I really hope to not have to chnge this. How does the reaper PC "see" the xtouch over the network? Or do I have to switch to midi and reconfigure everything?
Hi denmalley,

When in dual mode (MC/Xctl) the X-Touch needs to be connected to the DAW PC using a USB cable. You should then see it as a control surface in Reaper.

EDIT: I think you also need to have DAW mode (MC) selected in order for it to show up as a control surface.

Hope this helps,
Ken

Last edited by kenm; 09-14-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: See EDIT:
kenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #15
TheWhistler

Hey there,
chiming in because I bought the XTouch/XAir Combo just recently.
Today I tried to figure out how to set it up with reaper.
Works like a charm. All faders do what they should (colours not, but not a big deal).
As a hobby musician I can defenitely say, what an improvement to my studio.

I will try to setup a few knobs tomorrow to respond to actions I often use.
TheWhistler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #16
kenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post
Hey there,
chiming in because I bought the XTouch/XAir Combo just recently.
Today I tried to figure out how to set it up with reaper.
Works like a charm. All faders do what they should (colours not, but not a big deal).
As a hobby musician I can defenitely say, what an improvement to my studio.

I will try to setup a few knobs tomorrow to respond to actions I often use.
Hi Whistler,

The scribble strip colors are only supported when connected to an X-Air using XCTL mode. They aren't supported in MC mode because the MCU/HUI protocol doesn't support it, likely because the Mackie unit doesn't have colored scribble strips.

Ken
Old 09-17-2018, 06:31 AM   #17
TheWhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenm View Post
Hi Whistler,

The scribble strip colors are only supported when connected to an X-Air using XCTL mode. They aren't supported in MC mode because the MCU/HUI protocol doesn't support it, likely because the Mackie unit doesn't have colored scribble strips.

Ken
Ah, ok. Good to know that this is a Mackie thing.
But as mentioned before, it is a huge improvement in managing levels in my "studio".
Everthing is controllable via the the XAir/XTouch combination.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #18
denmalley

Quote:
Hi denmalley,

When in dual mode (MC/Xctl) the X-Touch needs to be connected to the DAW PC using a USB cable. You should then see it as a control surface in Reaper.

EDIT: I think you also need to have DAW mode (MC) selected in order for it to show up as a control surface.

Hope this helps,
Ken
Thanks for the reply! Since I posted that, I've been able to get the MC control to work using a network connection and rtpMIDI. However, I can only get either/or to work - that is, only if I set the Xtouch to either exclusively MC mode to control reaper, or Xctl mode to control the XR. This of course requires a power cycle holding the select button to change these. The problem I'm seeing is that the dual mode settings don't seem to have all of the same network options available that the MC mode does. I need to be able to set up the slave IP address for the rtpMIDI connection to work, and it is not available. As such, when I boot into dual mode, it can connect easily to the XR18 but when I hit the SMPTE button to switch to MC mode, it does nothing. FWIW, I did try using dual mode with the USB connection with no luck.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:14 AM   #19
kenm

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! Since I posted that, I've been able to get the MC control to work using a network connection and rtpMIDI. However, I can only get either/or to work - that is, only if I set the Xtouch to either exclusively MC mode to control reaper, or Xctl mode to control the XR. This of course requires a power cycle holding the select button to change these. The problem I'm seeing is that the dual mode settings don't seem to have all of the same network options available that the MC mode does. I need to be able to set up the slave IP address for the rtpMIDI connection to work, and it is not available. As such, when I boot into dual mode, it can connect easily to the XR18 but when I hit the SMPTE button to switch to MC mode, it does nothing. FWIW, I did try using dual mode with the USB connection with no luck.
Hi denmalley,

It sounds like you are trying to use both XCTL and MC over Ethernet in dual mode.

Per the documentation that isn't supported.

NOTE: Combined Operating Modes are using the Ethernet or MIDI ports for controlling the X AIR Mixer, and use the USB Interface, Footswitch and Pedal input for controlling the DAW. The button “SMPTE/ BEATS” can be used to toggle the console surface between both Mixer and DAW control.

Hope this helps,
Ken
Old 09-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #20
TheWhistler

Quote:
Hi denmalley,

It sounds like you are trying to use both XCTL and MC over Ethernet in dual mode.

NOTE: Combined Operating Modes are using the Ethernet or MIDI ports for controlling the X AIR Mixer, and use the USB Interface, Footswitch and Pedal input for controlling the DAW. The button “SMPTE/ BEATS” can be used to toggle the console surface between both Mixer and DAW control.

Hope this helps,
Ken
Correct, under this described circumstances/settings the Xtouch is easily switchable between XAir-control (via Ethernet) and Reaper control (via USB midi).
Without any burps or hickups so far...
Old 09-17-2018, 12:22 PM   #21
denmalley

Quote:
Hi denmalley,

Hope this helps,
Ken
Ok, sounds like I need to put a little more work into getting it to work via USB. So far no go. So I'll ask again, are you folks that have this working doing so via klinke's mod (or maybe the further mod that was posted in one of these threads)?

ETA - where is this documentation? There is only a quick start guide (which only mentions MC and HUI modes stationg future updates coming) and a product information document (marketing material) on the music tribe page.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #22
kenm

Quote:
Ok, sounds like I need to put a little more work into getting it to work via USB. So far no go. So I'll ask again, are you folks that have this working doing so via klinke's mod (or maybe the further mod that was posted in one of these threads)?

ETA - where is this documentation? There is only a quick start guide (which only mentions MC and HUI modes stationg future updates coming) and a product information document (marketing material) on the music tribe page.
Hi denmalley,

I'm using the klinke dlls v0.8.3 dated 5/26/2016 or 26/5/2016 if your date format is opposite of mine.

Let me know if I can help.

The documentation I was referring to was included with the X-Touch 1.15 firmware update which is the first update that enabled dual mode.

Here a link to the file if you don't have it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hscqvl410m..._1.15.pdf?dl=0

Ken
Old 09-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #23
denmalley

Quote:
Hi denmalley,

I'm using the klinke dlls v0.8.3 dated 5/26/2016 or 26/5/2016 if your date format is opposite of mine.

Let me know if I can help.

The documentation I was referring to was included with the X-Touch 1.15 firmware update which is the first update that enabled dual mode.

Here a link to the file if you don't have it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hscqvl410m..._1.15.pdf?dl=0

Ken
Ah of course! I was so intent on getting the driver installed and was following instructions looked up elsewhere (sweetwater I think) that I forgot to glimpse any documents that accompanied that download package. Looks like a pretty good bit of info, I'll review this before I ask any more questions, thanks!
Old 02-27-2021, 04:27 AM   #24
Sofia

Quote:
No, to move to another channel, press < CHANNEL >
and these stipes are not normal.
You did something wrong in the install.
Read this: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=225044
Sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #25
Klinke

The stripes appear, when a hardware does not support the Level Meter protocol of the MCU specification. For this case, there is the "No level meter" option in the Control Surface Settings, when this option is enabled, the 2nd line should show the dB values for the faders.
Klinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:10 PM   #26
bcab17

Quote:
Hey!

Went ahead and made the purchase anyway. If anyone has the same question in the future, the X-Touch is 99% functional in Reaper with Klinke's MCU mod and the latest firmware (1.15). There are only two buttons which do nothing and cannot be programmed: The REPLACE button and the NUDGE button, the latter of which Klinke's manual says has yet to be implemented. The LCD scribble displays cannot be colored in Reaper, but they cannot be colored in any DAW. Colors apparently only work in conjunction with the Xair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinke View Post
The stripes appear, when a hardware does not support the Level Meter protocol of the MCU specification. For this case, there is the "No level meter" option in the Control Surface Settings, when this option is enabled, the 2nd line should show the dB values for the faders.
Tourny, I realize this thread goes back a few years (except for Klinke's more recent reply). I have the X-Touch Universal on order, and after much research, I believe that setting it up with Klinke is the way to go (the "folder mode" will be a big plus for me).

I'd love to hear how you're making out with the X-Touch after all this time...any customizations you've changed, etc. You mentioned that two buttons did not function, and were not programmable. Does that mean that those (and/or other buttons) cannot be midi mapped to an action? I'm new to all of this, and was at least hoping to be able to map any button on the X-Touch.

Klinke, I see two different files, reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke.zip (2016) and reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke_v0_6_4.zip (2014). I also se a reference to v0.8.3 in the manual. Am I right to assume that the more recent 2016 file is the correct one to download and install...and is version 8 included in that file?

THANKS!
bcab17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:36 PM   #27
Klinke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcab17 View Post
You mentioned that two buttons did not function, and were not programmable. Does that mean that those (and/or other buttons) cannot be midi mapped to an action? I'm new to all of this, and was at least hoping to be able to map any button on the X-Touch.
Yes, those buttons can not mapped to actions, but you can map the eight buttons right of the Global View button, incl. different actions for combinations with the Shift, Option, Control and Alt button.

Quote:
Klinke, I see two different files, reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke.zip (2016) and reaper_csurf_mcu_klinke_v0_6_4.zip (2014). I also se a reference to v0.8.3 in the manual. Am I right to assume that the more recent 2016 file is the correct one to download and install...and is version 8 included in that file?
Yes, the zip file without a version number is always the actual version, v0.6.4 is only for the people who have also extenders, as this is the last version that support those.

If you can afford it, I can also recommend the Icon QCon Pro X. I'm currently working on a direct support for this device, as it replaced my Mackie Control, and really like the second display row and the meterbridge. But the improvements I coded for the meterbridge will also be available for the X-Touch.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:25 PM   #28
bcab17

Quote:
Yes, those buttons can not mapped to actions, but you can map the eight buttons right of the Global View button, incl. different actions for combinations with the Shift, Option, Control and Alt button.

Yes, the zip file without a version number is always the actual version, v0.6.4 is only for the people who have also extenders, as this is the last version that support those.

If you can afford it, I can also recommend the Icon QCon Pro X. I'm currently working on a direct support for this device, as it replaced my Mackie Control, and really like the second display row and the meterbridge. But the improvements I coded for the meterbridge will also be available for the X-Touch.
Thanks so much for the reply. I was under the impression that you were not doing any further updates. I'm sure there a LOT of people that are ecstatic about this (especially folks who have the Icon). I'd love the QCon, but it's well over my budget...hence the X-Touch in the $500 ballpark.

I've read so much about your script (is that what you call it...or is it a plug-in, an extension?). I'm still not fully understanding it. I guess I just need to get the X-Touch, download and install your (fill in the correct term), and just dig in. I've started reading the manual, and that has really helped.

I wonder, do people post their "Klinke setup" anywhere, what options they prefer, what types of Reaper actions they are mapping to the function buttons (+ modifiers), etc.? It would be a super-helpful thing for newbies like me to see how other people are using their "Klinke-ified" X-Touch (or any controller, I suppose).

My projects tend to have a decent number of tracks (anywhere from the 40's up to the 80's), and I tend to put everything in folders, so I assume that the "folder mode" will be tremendously helpful. Many folders have a second folder inside the parent folder, and some folders have more than 8 tracks. When in folder mode, are ALL the tracks (parent, folders inside folders, children) accessible? Does the "bank" function on the controller simply move to tracks 9 through 16 of that folder?

I also have custom actions and cycle actions designed to show just the tracks of each specific folder (parent and children). For example, I run a "Drum" custom action, and ONLY the Drum folder tracks (parent, buss inside folder, FX receive tracks inside folder, and all children) are displayed. I can also have Reaper ONLY show the "Drum" folder and the "Bass" folder, in which both folders are NOT adjacent in the mixer panel with continuous track numbers. If Reaper is only showing a specific group of tracks (any tracks, any track numbers), is their a Klinke option to just show tracks on the pc's screen?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:29 AM   #29
Klinke

Quote:
I've read so much about your script (is that what you call it...or is it a plug-in, an extension?). I'm still not fully understanding it. I guess I just need to get the X-Touch, download and install your (fill in the correct term), and just dig in. I've started reading the manual, and that has really helped.
Yes, the best way to explore and understand the possibilities is to read the manual while you have access to the X-Touch.

Quote:
I wonder, do people post their "Klinke setup" anywhere, what options they prefer, what types of Reaper actions they are mapping to the function buttons (+ modifiers), etc.? It would be a super-helpful thing for newbies like me to see how other people are using their "Klinke-ified" X-Touch (or any controller, I suppose).
I have not seen anything like this.

Quote:
My projects tend to have a decent number of tracks (anywhere from the 40's up to the 80's), and I tend to put everything in folders, so I assume that the "folder mode" will be tremendously helpful. Many folders have a second folder inside the parent folder, and some folders have more than 8 tracks. When in folder mode, are ALL the tracks (parent, folders inside folders, children) accessible? Does the "bank" function on the controller simply move to tracks 9 through 16 of that folder?
You have the option, that the parent is also shown, but folders inside folders are always shown as a single track (but of course you can also "dive in" this folder). And yes, the bank function simply move to different tracks of the current folder. For bigger setups, The "Quick Jump" feature is handy, as it eases the navigation in the project, so check it out.

Quote:
I also have custom actions and cycle actions designed to show just the tracks of each specific folder (parent and children). For example, I run a "Drum" custom action, and ONLY the Drum folder tracks (parent, buss inside folder, FX receive tracks inside folder, and all children) are displayed. I can also have Reaper ONLY show the "Drum" folder and the "Bass" folder, in which both folders are NOT adjacent in the mixer panel with continuous track numbers. If Reaper is only showing a specific group of tracks (any tracks, any track numbers), is their a Klinke option to just show tracks on the pc's screen?
Yes, check Table 1 in the manual, the first option "Show" allows this. But in this case you must set the Folder-Mode to flat.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:29 AM   #30
bcab17

Quote:
Yes, the best way to explore and understand the possibilities is to read the manual while you have access to the X-Touch.

I have not seen anything like this.

You have the option, that the parent is also shown, but folders inside folders are always shown as a single track (but of course you can also "dive in" this folder). And yes, the bank function simply move to different tracks of the current folder. For bigger setups, The "Quick Jump" feature is handy, as it eases the navigation in the project, so check it out.

Yes, check Table 1 in the manual, the first option "Show" allows this. But in this case you must set the Folder-Mode to flat.
Thanks again for the explanations. This is so important to me...I just don't know how evident these options would be to me by just reading the manual. Something like selecting the "Show" option, and needing to set the Folder Mode to "flat" (which I assume disengages the Folder Mode entirely)...I'm so glad you pointed this out...not sure I would have figured this out on my own.

Just to be clear, the "Show" option does NOT work in "Folder Mode", correct? So, if I have a separate action (to show each folder in a project), I would not necessarily need to use "Folder Mode" at all...am I understanding this correctly?

Does this mean that I could map the F1 through F8 buttons on the X-Touch to run each action to show up to eight folders? If so, these cycle actions are setup as "toggles", in which the first run shows only the specific folder tracks, and the second run returns to showing ALL tracks. Would the Fn buttons on the X-Touch work the same way (2-touch toggle)? Also, is this button mapping done in the Klinke program or would I use the midi mapping function in Reaper?

I did read about "Quick Jump", but I'm not exactly sure the best way to use it...and you're right. I think it will make more sense to me when I have my hands on the X-Touch.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:02 PM   #31
Klinke

Quote:
Just to be clear, the "Show" option does NOT work in "Folder Mode", correct? So, if I have a separate action (to show each folder in a project), I would not necessarily need to use "Folder Mode" at all...am I understanding this correctly?
The "Show" option determines, which track are available on the X-touch, the "Folder Mode" determines, how they are shown. If the "Folder mode" is active, you see from all available tracke only the track of a single folder that are at the same level, and optionally also the parent.

Quote:
Does this mean that I could map the F1 through F8 buttons on the X-Touch to run each action to show up to eight folders? If so, these cycle actions are setup as "toggles", in which the first run shows only the specific folder tracks, and the second run returns to showing ALL tracks. Would the Fn buttons on the X-Touch work the same way (2-touch toggle)? Also, is this button mapping done in the Klinke program or would I use the midi mapping function in Reaper?
The extensions generates CC messages that are send to Reaper, and you use then the midi mapping function in Reaper. So yes, this should be possible.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:12 PM   #32
bcab17

Quote:
The "Show" option determines, which track are available on the X-touch, the "Folder Mode" determines, how they are shown. If the "Folder mode" is active, you see from all available tracke only the track of a single folder that are at the same level, and optionally also the parent.

Again, thank you for the explanation. So, "Show" and "Folder Mode" can be used together. Just to make sure I understand, here is an example of a folder structure that I use a lot:
DRUMS FOLDER (Parent)
DRUMS REVERB (Child)
DRUM BUS (Child to Parent/Parent to individual drum tracks)
KICK (Child)
SNARE (Child)
HIHAT (Child)
(and so on)

So, this would not work in "Folder Mode" because the Reverb Aux and Bus tracks are on a different level from the individual drum tracks? Would only the Parent, Reverb Aux, and Bus tracks be available then?

The extensions generates CC messages that are send to Reaper, and you use then the midi mapping function in Reaper. So yes, this should be possible.
Thanks so much!
Old 04-15-2021, 04:35 PM   #33
Klinke

Quote:
Again, thank you for the explanation. So, "Show" and "Folder Mode" can be used together. Just to make sure I understand, here is an example of a folder structure that I use a lot:
DRUMS FOLDER (Parent)
DRUMS REVERB (Child)
DRUM BUS (Child to Parent/Parent to individual drum tracks)
KICK (Child)
SNARE (Child)
HIHAT (Child)
(and so on)

So, this would not work in "Folder Mode" because the Reverb Aux and Bus tracks are on a different level from the individual drum tracks? Would only the Parent, Reverb Aux, and Bus tracks be available then?
Yes, in folder mode you can control either DRUMS FOLDER, DRUMS REVERB and DRUM BUS, or DRUM BUS, KICK, SNARE and HIHAT (but switching between those views needs only a single button press).
Old 04-15-2021, 04:45 PM   #34
bcab17

Quote:
Yes, in folder mode you can control either DRUMS FOLDER, DRUMS REVERB and DRUM BUS, or DRUM BUS, KICK, SNARE and HIHAT (but switching between those views needs only a single button press).
OK, I'm getting it...sorry to be so slow. I believe that "Folder Mode" is engaged by checking/ticking a box in the Klinke setup screen, right? Once you have made all your initial option choices in the setup, how do you access it again to make option changes...is it listed in a Reaper menu or in preferences...is there a button on the X-Touch that shows it on the pc monitor? (sorry...these are really dumb questions)

And if you'll allow one more dumb question...you mentioned that the different folder views can be switched/scrolled through with a single button...which button?
Old 04-16-2021, 01:55 AM   #35
Klinke

Quote:
OK, I'm getting it...sorry to be so slow. I believe that "Folder Mode" is engaged by checking/ticking a box in the Klinke setup screen, right? Once you have made all your initial option choices in the setup, how do you access it again to make option changes...is it listed in a Reaper menu or in preferences...is there a button on the X-Touch that shows it on the pc monitor? (sorry...these are really dumb questions)
The options described in the tables are all options that you can change fast via the X-Touch itself. When you press the Option button, the display will show them, and you can change them with the Encoders.

Quote:
And if you'll allow one more dumb question...you mentioned that the different folder views can be switched/scrolled through with a single button...which button?
To dive into a folder, you press and hold shortly the Select button of the channel, to return to the parent level, you press the Global View button.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #36
bcab17

Quote:
The options described in the tables are all options that you can change fast via the X-Touch itself. When you press the Option button, the display will show them, and you can change them with the Encoders.

To dive into a folder, you press and hold shortly the Select button of the channel, to return to the parent level, you press the Global View button.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Old 04-19-2021, 10:09 AM   #37
Klinke

Copied from DrivenByMoss Thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcab17
Gentlemen, I have a question about using an X-Touch (or any controller, I suppose) to navigate through a project. I use the Reaper scroll bar to do this all the time, and someone mentioned to me recently that the X-Touch does not have a way to use the Reaper scroll function. I know it has a scroll/jog wheel on it, so this caught me by surprise. Is this true? And if so, does the Klinke and/or Moss extension have a way to use the scroll wheel to control the scroll bar?

The other navigation method i use is (of course) markers and regions. However, while I may know that I want to jump to Verse 5, I don't necessarily know which marker number it is. I have started to use Reaper's Marker and Region Manager to bring up a list of all markers and regions, so I can easily click on the Verse 5 marker to jump there. The X-Touch does have a Marker button. Can this button be mapped with say a Ctrl or Opt modifier to open the Marker and Region Manager window...or is this a non-mapable button?
I can only answer this for my extension:
The five buttons left of the jog-wheel are used change the shown area and have therefore the same function as the scroll bar(s). The middle button switch between Zoom and Move, so can even zoom in and out via the X-Touch controller.

The Jogwheel is mapped to the current Play-Position, or in combination with the Modifier to the Time-Selection Start/End or the Loop Start/End (see section 4.2 of the manual).

The Marker-Button is used to set the Rewind/Ffwd Buttons into "Marker-Mode". When the Marker-Mode is active, you can use the buttons to select the next marker or region (see section 4.3). But you can map the the Marker Manager window to one of the buttons right beside the "Global View" button (see section 6).
Old 04-19-2021, 10:51 AM   #38
bcab17

Quote:
Copied from DrivenByMoss Thread:

I can only answer this for my extension:
The five buttons left of the jog-wheel are used change the shown area and have therefore the same function as the scroll bar(s). The middle button switch between Zoom and Move, so can even zoom in and out via the X-Touch controller.

The Jogwheel is mapped to the current Play-Position, or in combination with the Modifier to the Time-Selection Start/End or the Loop Start/End (see section 4.2 of the manual).

The Marker-Button is used to set the Rewind/Ffwd Buttons into "Marker-Mode". When the Marker-Mode is active, you can use the buttons to select the next marker or region (see section 4.3). But you can map the the Marker Manager window to one of the buttons right beside the "Global View" button (see section 6).
OK, so the left-right buttons (when in move mode) will scroll the view backward or forward. Does the jogwheel move the play cursor in the same or similar way?

When you refer to the buttons to the right of Global View, I'm guessing you mean "to the right, one row down"...for the F1 through F8 buttons listed under "Function." So, it's clear to me that these are the ONLY 8 buttons that can be custom-mapped (if that's the right term). I believe you have mentioned that the four modifier buttons can be used in conjunction with the 8 function buttons, allowing a total of up to 40 mapped actions...is that correct?

Do you know if there is a way to accomplish "menu navigation and item selection" with a controller like the X-Touch?

If I use a function button to open the Marker/Region Manager list (or any menu list, for that matter), would the only way to navigate the list up or down and make a selection be to also map the up, down and select actions to three additional function buttons (or is there any other method, to do this)?

If I have to map the "menu up-down-select" actions, I have no idea how to do that, since this is normally done with the mouse, with which you simply select the menu item you want. I am just not aware of any specific actions that move through a menu and select something in the menu.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:08 AM   #39
Klinke

Quote:
OK, so the left-right buttons (when in move mode) will scroll the view backward or forward. Does the jogwheel move the play cursor in the same or similar way?
The buttons are always move the time one bar. The jogwheel distance depends on the zoom setting (and if scrub is active or not). Just test it out.

Quote:
When you refer to the buttons to the right of Global View, I'm guessing you mean "to the right, one row down"...for the F1 through F8 buttons listed under "Function." So, it's clear to me that these are the ONLY 8 buttons that can be custom-mapped (if that's the right term). I believe you have mentioned that the four modifier buttons can be used in conjunction with the 8 function buttons, allowing a total of up to 40 mapped actions...is that correct?
No, F1..F8 is reserved for the markers and regions, I mean the buttons in the light gray area, that are named "MIDI Tracks" etc. This can be custom-mapped, in every modifier combination, so in overall can assign (2^4)*8=128 actions.

Quote:
Do you know if there is a way to accomplish "menu navigation and item selection" with a controller like the X-Touch?

If I use a function button to open the Marker/Region Manager list (or any menu list, for that matter), would the only way to navigate the list up or down and make a selection be to also map the up, down and select actions to three additional function buttons (or is there any other method, to do this)?

If I have to map the "menu up-down-select" actions, I have no idea how to do that, since this is normally done with the mouse, with which you simply select the menu item you want. I am just not aware of any specific actions that move through a menu and select something in the menu.
When you open a GUI-Dialog in Reaper, I think you must use the mouse. I'm not aware of any workaround for that.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #40
bcab17

Quote:
The buttons are always move the time one bar. The jogwheel distance depends on the zoom setting (and if scrub is active or not). Just test it out.
Got it...thanks.

Quote:
No, F1..F8 is reserved for the markers and regions, I mean the buttons in the light gray area, that are named "MIDI Tracks" etc. This can be custom-mapped, in every modifier combination, so in overall can assign (2^4)*8=128 actions.
Sorry...you never said it was F1 through F8...I just assumed (INCORRECTLY) that those were the buttons that could be mapped to any action (my bad). So, just to be clear, the F1 through F8 buttons are locked for one use only...to jump to markers/regions 1 through 8, and that's it? And modifiers don't add more functions to these buttons...and they can't be mapped?

Quote:
When you open a GUI-Dialog in Reaper, I think you must use the mouse. I'm not aware of any workaround for that.
That's what I suspected would be the case. Thanks, again.