Old 02-22-2021, 12:36 PM   #1
fsynth
Human being with feelings

Default AV Linux MX Edition

What a great direction this is taking.
WINE and LinVst installed with repositories right out of the box.
Still a bit partial to Ubuntu Studio as I already have it running well.
But short trials with AVL MXE I was able to install Windows VST's
Without having to install anything.
Sure would help Linux illiterates like me be more apt to use the OS.
fsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:41 AM   #2
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsynth View Post
What a great direction this is taking.
WINE and LinVst installed with repositories right out of the box.
Still a bit partial to Ubuntu Studio as I already have it running well.
But short trials with AVL MXE I was able to install Windows VST's
Without having to install anything.
Sure would help Linux illiterates like me be more apt to use the OS.
Yes many breakthroughs - look at Modicea OS too!
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:34 AM   #3
Mcgiver69

I'm using it at the moment and enjoying every minute of it!! I've been using AvLinux for a couple of years and to me this is the best version ever.
another function you can use is the ability to create SFZ libraries from the file browser. Just select the wav files, then right click and select convert to SFZ and it will automatically create a simple SFZ file you can use with any SFZ sampler.
I've already created a couple of drum kits from some samples I had and never used. The only problem is that you should only create one file per kit piece. then just combine the files using the text editor and assign each piece to a midi note and voila'!
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:42 AM   #4
fsynth

@ s wave, Modicea OS lol ok so another one I need to try thanks for the mention.
What a messed up (covid), but beautiful time we live in today (linux).
Getting very close to ditching Windows all together! for one reason, LINUX WORKS.
Was messing around last night using clonezilla, cloned a running system with WINE and a boatload of Windows and Linux VST's. Transferred to another machine and low and behold it booted and opened the saved projects I have for Reaper?
Linux must load all drivers dynamically at boot, lol or I got really lucky???

@ Mcgiver69, Yeah I saw that, have not tried yet nice to know it is working.
What really made me happy was not having to assign\load all the repositories & install WINE. Only problem I am having with the OS is it does not load a correct driver for my WIFI adapter? The TP Link site does have an experimental linux driver, BUT and this is a big BUT... LOL I am linux illiterate and don't even know how to compile to install :-( I'll get there someday.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:06 AM   #5
Mcgiver69

Weird as I use a TPlink usb dongle and it works with no issues.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:46 PM   #6
RainyDaze

I had tried a previous version of AVL on my laptop and was quite impressed.

Recently switched from Linux Mint to AVL-MXE on my audio pc and have found it great so far. Have a few Windows VST's running and currently playing with the recent Reaper Dev/RC versions to try out some LV2's.

HappyDaze for RainyDaze!!
Old 02-24-2021, 08:19 AM   #7
fsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
Weird as I use a TPlink usb dongle and it works with no issues.
That is good to know, might be that I have only ran the live USB and have done no updates??
Will most likely do a full install this weekend hopefully it will work?
I do really like the way AVL works right out of the box for WinVst's.

Question you might know the answer to, Can I copy the LinVst.so file to the home directory so it will be more easy to locate when creating .so files for Win plugins?

Aww heck I will try that this weekend also :-) Yep HappyDaze :-)
Old 02-25-2021, 06:11 AM   #8
windeguy

Default Thank you.

I agree on all counts above regarding this latest version of AVL-MXE 2020. Thank you all who worked on it!
windeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:14 AM   #9
windeguy

Quote:
That is good to know, might be that I have only ran the live USB and have done no updates??

Question you might know the answer to, Can I copy the LinVst.so file to the home directory so it will be more easy to locate when creating .so files for Win plugins?

I wondered why that was not filled in automatically in the conversion routine.

I will have to try putting it into the home directory and see if it works there.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:15 AM   #10
windeguy

Default Questions on Linux Sampler and AVA plug in rendering (Harrison)

Thank you for this new version of AVL!

Where can I post questions like this about AVL-MXE 2020? :

1) I am a licensed Reaper user and am using the Linux version in AVL-MXE 2020. I recently installed the latest version of JAVA on this distro with hep from this the MX Linux forum to use Fantasia as front end for Linux Sampler. I installed Linux Sampler and the Fantasia front end for Linux Sampler. I can run Fantasia stand alone, but how can I load it as a plugin in Reaper and have it render the Fantasia front end like it does in stand alone mode?

I have a dual boot Win10 and AVL-MXE 2020 system:
2) On the same hardware and software, I have issues with AVA plugins from Harrison. They will render properly in Windows on this hardware, but will not render properly in AVL 2020 MXE .
Harrison narrowed this down to an OpenGL issue. Windows shows that OpenGL is 4.3, while AVLinux is "stuck" at 3.0. When I try to force OpenGL to a higher version while opening Reaper it renders part of the GUI , but not that real time analyzers for the AVA plugins. Is there a way to download a version of OpenGL for AVlinux that is 3.3 or higher? As I mentioned, Windows can run a 4.3 Version of OpenGL on the same exact hardware.

So please let me know where I can best post these questions if this is not the right place.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:17 AM   #11
windeguy

Quote:

I just copied the LinVst.so file to my directory home/Mike and it converted a VSTi called Tapeworm (a free Mellotron VSTi) with the .so extension correctly . I put those .so conversions in a file on my desktop and add that path to REAPER to find them. The VSTi works properly.

Last edited by windeguy; 02-25-2021 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:16 AM   #12
fsynth

Yay! so you can move the LinVst.so anywhere and it will work.
Thanks for testing and letting me know.
Will make it much more easy than going to usr/share/linVst directory.

Not really thrilled with the direction Win10 is going and have been getting
concerned that in the future all the vst's\(gear to me) could be lost.
Something like this gives me hope that I can use what I have long into the future.

Gave up on any funky authorization schemes long ago so all the WinVst's I have
are either serial, key file or free.
LOL was bummed out when giga studio came out and used online authorization
bought a few plugins that used online authorization after and gave up on them years ago. Most likely have missed out on a lot of great plugins because of this?
But if I cannot make a great sounding song\mix with what I have it's not the gears fault.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:53 AM   #13
Glennbo

Quote:
LOL was bummed out when giga studio came out and used online authorization bought a few plugins that used online authorization after and gave up on them years ago. Most likely have missed out on a lot of great plugins because of this?
But if I cannot make a great sounding song\mix with what I have it's not the gears fault.
If you still have some .gig files (I do), then you should grab LinuxSampler, because it can load .gig files as well as SF2/SFZ.

As for missing out on great plugins, I too decided one day that I was done supporting BS copy protection schemes that only screw with the legitimate customer.

What I quickly realized was that plugins do not make my music.

I do, and I can create the same quality of productions using plugins that don't make me jump through a bunch of hoops and then screw me some day when something changes on my machine and triggers their BS.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #14
fsynth

Yeah! use .gig's in linuxsampler on linux, the windows version has always gave me grief.
Still love the old gigapiano that came with gigasampler (lol, bought in about 2002) have also converted .gig's to .sfz so there still alive.

And yes, with even the freeware we have today if it does not sound good don't blame the tools. Still drool over some of the announcements of newer plugins, then I look at the authorization and the drool dries up lol. You are right it comes from yourself.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:07 PM   #15
s wave

Quote:
@ s wave, Modicea OS lol ok so another one I need to try thanks for the mention.
What a messed up (covid), but beautiful time we live in today (linux).
Getting very close to ditching Windows all together! for one reason, LINUX WORKS.
Was messing around last night using clonezilla, cloned a running system with WINE and a boatload of Windows and Linux VST's. Transferred to another machine and low and behold it booted and opened the saved projects I have for Reaper?
Linux must load all drivers dynamically at boot, lol or I got really lucky???

@ Mcgiver69, Yeah I saw that, have not tried yet nice to know it is working.
What really made me happy was not having to assign\load all the repositories & install WINE. Only problem I am having with the OS is it does not load a correct driver for my WIFI adapter? The TP Link site does have an experimental linux driver, BUT and this is a big BUT... LOL I am linux illiterate and don't even know how to compile to install :-( I'll get there someday.
They had it preconfigured for a year or so - fo me it worked flawless - the cool thing is (if you wanted) you can run win and lin Reaper on the same screen then toggle back and forth between OSs super cool for those who want 1 or 2 win plugins...
Old 02-27-2021, 01:51 AM   #16
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
Yes many breakthroughs - look at Modicea OS too!
It took me quite a while to find Modicia. Modicea leads to weigt-loss and a few other related things. Your link on GS errored 404 too.

To spare others some time, here's the link to the Mocicia site:

https://www.modiciaos.cloud/

It looks interesting, but the site isn't clear what the advantages precisely are. That's certainly not unique. A lot of sites have flashy content, but hardly any relevant text these days.

Another one for the "to try" list.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:17 PM   #17
s wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
It took me quite a while to find Modicia. Modicea leads to weigt-loss and a few other related things. Your link on GS errored 404 too.

To spare others some time, here's the link to the Mocicia site:

https://www.modiciaos.cloud/

It looks interesting, but the site isn't clear what the advantages precisely are. That's certainly not unique. A lot of sites have flashy content, but hardly any relevant text these days.

Another one for the "to try" list.
some things are faster... you can contact the pres fairly easily through email... he speaks english too. What I gathered was the shortening of internal commands - when they are often used... things like this... I found more efficient and faster.