Old 02-17-2021, 06:23 AM   #1
beingmf
Human being with feelings

Default My 3 biggest issues with MIDI

1) When (loop) recording - my record mode is set to "MIDI Overdub/Replace" - there's still extremely short notes being recorded, but obviously they are just a note-off ending picked up from outside the time selection.
The note should be ignored if either or both
1) more than 50% of its length is outside the time or item selection and the note-on is not recorded
2) the note length falls below a certain threshold (user editable?) and is located on one of the item edges.

2) Available mouse modifiers in the Midi editor. Inconsistency galore here: I always middle-click in the Midi editor's arrange area, simply because that's the behaviour in the arrange area - what I expect is: unselect all notes (optionally) and move edit cursor. Unfortunately there's no such thing as a middle-click mouse modifier in the preferences for the Midi editor.

3) The absolute most annoying horror issue: non-working relative snap. For a complex piece it takes hours to reposition the accidentally moved notes. Since there is no setting for snap distance, like there is for items, I assume this is a bug.

I know that I can hold shift-ctrl ("Move note on one axis only") while (or after) clicking the note, but that's really not intuitive as those modifiers on their own are used for completely different tasks.
I wonder why the relative grid snap is an option, when I have to rely on a modifier anyway?

Will this be solved somehow or am I approaching it the wrong way?
Can you guys easily work with Midi?
Old 02-17-2021, 07:17 AM   #2
mccrabney

1) i absolutely get those tiny note ons while loop recording. in my opinion, such noteoffs should record as-played beyond the loop point, rather than retriggering a note.

see the image: the blue ("teal?") track shows what happens to "late" noteoffs now: they get interpreted as an additional noteon. the purple track shows how the data should get recorded in order to be accurate to the performance being recorded. EDIT: i got my colors backwards in my original post

in short: REAPER shouldn't record extra note ons when none are played, and (as option) loop points shouldn't send noteoffs. notes should report their duration on noteon, and play their full length regardless of loop state.

2) +1, no real comment

3) could you describe the behavior you're seeing, vs the behavior you're getting a bit more? i did some testing and got what i think is expected behavior, but i think it could be improved.

when "relative snap" is enabled, i would expect the notes to snap relative to the grid, but not to the grid. instead, we get a kind of hybrid behavior where notes snap to the relative position AND to the grid, vs the behavior when that setting is disabled: notes only snap to the grid and not the relative position.

is that in the ballpark of what you're describing?
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #3
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
3) could you describe the behavior you're seeing, vs the behavior you're getting a bit more? i did some testing and got what i think is expected behavior, but i think it could be improved.

when "relative snap" is enabled, i would expect the notes to snap relative to the grid, but not to the grid. instead, we get a kind of hybrid behavior where notes snap to the relative position AND to the grid, vs the behavior when that setting is disabled: notes only snap to the grid and not the relative position.

is that in the ballpark of what you're describing?
Ha! That's really weird! It seems like you're able to grab a note (selection) and just move them vertically while keeping their (relative) position. When I do this, the note is being dragged onto the closest grid line ‒ I'd have to use the modifier keys in order to maintain their original position!

Could you do me a favour and make a screenshot of your Midi Editor mouse modifier page? (Not that I've changed something in there, I just want to see if the setup is the same). Cheers!!!
Old 02-17-2021, 10:20 AM   #4
mccrabney

you mean for MIDI notes? i think my modifiers are virtually all default here.

i'll fire up a portable install and see what the default does...
edit: i'm getting the same expected behavior for relative snap on a fresh portable install here.

Last edited by mccrabney; 02-17-2021 at 10:26 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:14 PM   #5
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
you mean for MIDI notes? i think my modifiers are virtually all default here.
Yep, they're no different from mine ‒ so what the hell is wrong with my settings?
(not asking you, @mccrabney )
Old 02-21-2021, 04:36 AM   #6
beingmf

@2: Why not treat the recording behaviour of midi items the same as audio? All events are recorded as soon as you hit the record button, the item is trimmed after the fact.
BUT no midi events are split or skipped.