Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 02-14-2021, 05:50 AM   #1
SteveK_Germany
Human being with feelings

Default Controlling Reaper Play/Start/Record/Rewind with hardware

The discussions in this forum appear very complex so I ask a very simple question.

I want to use an external hardware with a few buttons for play, stop, record, rewind and so on (a jog wheel would be great too!) to control reaper without using a mouse. Using the keyboard appears to be difficult as soon as you have a plugin open as they are using the keyboard as well.

I tried to setup my Arturia hardware controller for that but MPC support is quite limited (could not manage rewind to start, etc.). Also I tried to avoid automation features because it seems to be a complex topic.

So my basic questions:
1. Is there any hardware available to do this? i.e. with a big jogwheel to move the song back and forth by dialing.
2. What do I need to do to implement this in Reaper? (i.e. will I have to dive into the automation topic or is this preconfigured)
SteveK_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:04 AM   #2
sonicowl

There are actions in Action List to control with midi. Just select action and assign midi to it. You can use even normal midi keys to control play/stop/etc.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:47 PM   #3
porzione

I have Arturia Minlab mkII and mapped its pads to MMC
01 Stop
02 Play
04 Fast Forward
05 Rewind
06 Record Strobe
07 Record Exit
So the full command to play is "F0 7F 7F 06 02 F7". Also mapped track change to pads.
porzione is offline   Reply With Quote