Human being with feelings

Default v6.23+dev0211 - February 11 2021

v6.23+dev0211 - February 11 2021
  • * Includes branch: media item channel mapping
  • * Includes branch: ReaSurround2
  • * Includes branch: LV2
  • * Includes branch: razor editing
  • + Actions: add action to open channel mapper for selected items
  • + ReaScript: hitting F1 to open help in IDE gives context-sensitive help if possible
  • + ReaScript: optimize Lua calls to plug-in API registered functions
  • # Media items: inprove handling of various combinations of channel mode and channel mapping
  • # ReaSurround2: fix double-clicking speakers to set selected channel position
  • # ReaSurround2: show visual representation of Z shape parameter
  • # ReaSurround: improve behavior when initiating delay
  • # lv2: fix various issues when changing project/audio device sample rate
  • # lv2: hide preset combo box when window is resized small
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 02-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

Thanks Devs! Off to test it all

regarding
+ Actions: add action to open channel mapper for selected items

That's great but can't help but think a mouse modifier on one of the item property buttons or maybe even a double click on it would be great too

I've kind of run out of media item ones to put this as an action (for both halves)
Old 02-11-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
sonictim

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
v6.23+dev0211 - February 11 2021[*]+ Actions: add action to open channel mapper for selected items
NICE!

Quote:
v6.23+dev0211 - February 11 2021[*]# Media items: inprove handling of various combinations of channel mode and channel mapping
When putting an item into Mono Downmix mode, or in one of the modes where it just has one take channel active, there are still 2 columns... visible in the channel mapper, even though there is only one channel visible in the item on the track...

This is what the current default mapping looks like:

I know you are preserving previous functionality, and that's all awesome.. but wouldn't it make more sense for it to be represented as seen in this image? It's one mono channel going to both channels 1 and 2..

I'd think this should apply to MonoDownmix or if a mono channel mode is selected. At least this makes more sense to my brain... it's one channel going to 2 outputs.

The only thing I can think of as to why you're doing it the current way is perhaps for plugin chain routing?

Thanks for listening! I appreciate all the amazing work you are doing on this!!! And the ReaSurround2 updates continue to be amazing!
Old 02-11-2021, 12:56 PM   #4
sonictim

Quote:
Thanks Devs! Off to test it all

regarding

That's great but can't help but think a mouse modifier on one of the item property buttons or maybe even a double click on it would be great too

I've kind of run out of media item ones to put this as an action (for both halves)

I agree with you. I would love to see item channel mappings as an item buttons, but I think that's one of those "all in due time" kind of things while they are working out the inner workings/kinks of developing it. Fingers crossed that's the plan further down the line!
Old 02-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #5
nofish

^@sonictim
Wondering is this dev0211? Because here with dev0211 (on Win) I don't have a OK button.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:10 PM   #6
sonictim

Quote:
In the mono channel modes, the mono signal is routed to both track channels 1 and 2, that's been the REAPER behavior forever, so the channel mapper reflects that. For example, if you want to route a mono signal to *only* track channel 1, that was not previously possible using just the channel mode setting, but you can now do it using the channel mapper.
Yes. I understand.. 100% onboard with what you are doing with that... Preserving the expected behavior is important.

That said, how is my second image not representing doing exactly that? the mono signal is routed to both track channels 1 and 2. And if you deselect 2, then per your second example, you will have the mono signal to only track channel 1.

Is it being summed differently internally somehow with having a second instance of the same channel? Having the exact same channel listed twice just seems redundant to me.

Again, thanks for listening to my questions.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #7
sonictim

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
^@sonictim
Wondering is this dev0211? Because here with dev0211 (on Win) I don't have a OK button.
you get the OK button if you run the ACTION... it's not part of the Item Properties version
Old 02-11-2021, 01:15 PM   #8
nofish

Ah thanks.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #9
svijayrathinam

This is very good. thank you !

Feature request : When you put a take fx plugin on a media item which is lets say routed to channel 5 and 6...the plugin pin configuration should automatically adjust according to that
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:22 PM   #10
amagalma

Quote:
v6.23+dev0211 - February 11 2021
  • + ReaScript: hitting F1 to open help in IDE gives context-sensitive help if possible
Thanks devs!

A few observations/requests:
  • Since the IDE already knows which is the function, could we avoid having to click and position the cursor inside the function for the help to work?

• Is it possible not having to open a new tab each time we ask for help?
  • Since F1 directs to address#functionName, could we have a preference setting so that we could define our own user_address? So F1 would direct to user_address#functionName.
Example:
default address:
file:///C:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Temp/reascripthelp.html#GetSelectedTrack
custom user address:
https://www.extremraym.com/cloud/reascript-doc/#GetSelectedTrack

If the user defined address is not valid then the default one is called.

Thank you!
Old 02-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #11
AZpercussion

Default # Media items: inprove handling of various combinations of channel mode and channel m

Be honest! It's not about item, it's about take.

As I wrote before, would be more useful, if items would have mapping matrix.
For now I need to worry about FX channel mapping every time i add fx.
Also function "render as new take" freeze channel mapping.
Look at the picture. I just summed stereo to 3-rd channel, added Fx, pressed "render as new take" and get.... 4 channel take!
And if I try to "open copy in external editor" it converts to stereo with no signal.

It's real useless function...
Just make this map for item, let takes exist as they were. And all these problems will pass away.

AZpercussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #12
musicbynumbers

Maybe a good middle ground would be an item menu option that makes it so all takes (including new ones) inherit the same output settings overall (regardless of which one you edit).

The reason is that I often use totally different sounds via takes in one item and need different setups for each so would be a shame to lose that option.

Hopefully there's a way we can have both.

As for the mixdown issues. I think there is a use in the function that sending to channel 3 and then bouncing puts the audio on channel 3 with the others blank but we definitely need the old behaviour too. I think this could be fixed with some new render to item (and apply FX) menu options/actions that do this. Especially since we already have these for mono/stereo or multi-channel.

The open in an external editor issue definitely sounds like a bug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZpercussion View Post
Be honest! It's not about item, it's about take.

As I wrote before, would be more useful, if items would have mapping matrix.
For now I need to worry about FX channel mapping every time i add fx.
Also function "render as new take" freeze channel mapping.
Look at the picture. I just summed stereo to 3-rd channel, added Fx, pressed "render as new take" and get.... 4 channel take!
And if I try to "open copy in external editor" it converts to stereo with no signal.

It's real useless function...
Just make this map for item, let takes exist as they were. And all these problems will pass away.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #13
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictim View Post

I'd think this should apply to MonoDownmix or if a mono channel mode is selected. At least this makes more sense to my brain... it's one channel going to 2 outputs.
For me it would make less sense, because that way you cannot know with a look that your item has originally two channels.

Having said that, I would strongly prefer if the channel mode and channel map were not in series. Ideally, the channel mode should be the verbal description of what happens in the channel map and the channel map should be the visual indication of the channel mode. Any channel map that is different from the channel modes we had before, would be simply called "custom".

In the case you show above the pin mapping would look like this:

The advantages are:
1) backwards compatible
2) you see all the information when opening the channel mapping for an item and you can set any routing you want without having to open the media properties window and change mode
3) feels more intuitive as channel mode and channel mapping reflect one another. You don't have to remember which comes before and which is after

Last edited by amagalma; 02-11-2021 at 03:40 PM.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #14
musicbynumbers

forgot to reply earlier but everything I tested from the new patch worked great for me.. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2021, 04:18 PM   #15
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
In the case you show above the pin mapping would look like this:
Actually no, the mono mixdown channel mode is not representable as a channel matrix. It's a mixdown, not a sum.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:33 PM   #16
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Actually no, the mono mixdown channel mode is not representable as a channel matrix. It's a mixdown, not a sum.
Yes, you are right, what I showed is the mono keep left channel only. The mono mixdown (L+R) would look like this in the working method I described above:

But if I understood what you say, it means that in mixdown to mono each of the two signals is at half volume (its ch1 * 0.5 + ch2 * 0.5), which can't be represented with just the pin mapping. Right?

Last edited by amagalma; 02-12-2021 at 04:33 AM.
amagalma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:35 PM   #17
X-Raym

If we are still with IDE builtin doc, I think auto complete with API functions variables will definitely reduce the number of time I have to check the API doc :P
Long functions like AddEnvPoint are straightforward to use but do need to be checked in the doc cause they have lot of parameters.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:46 AM   #18
vitalker

Quote:
[*]+ ReaScript: hitting F1 to open help in IDE gives context-sensitive help if possible[*]+ ReaScript: optimize Lua calls to plug-in API registered functions
Would it be possible to wrap the code in IDE?
And allowing to show the full line if it's longer than the window width? I am talking about this.

What about excluding undo points? It limits ReaScript potential and a lot of things can't be done without it.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:06 AM   #19
AZpercussion

Quote:
The reason is that I often use totally different sounds via takes in one item and need different setups for each so would be a shame to lose that option.
Do you use Fx on takes? And do you need to route these takes to different track channels or route different take channels to common track channel?
The second way is that the take system about: variants of any one function.
The first way interesting, but too much non-standard and shouldn't stricke standard way use.
Also first way force you to mess around fx routing.

If I need to use different sources, wich goes to different channels in one track in the same time, i prefer free item position track mode.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:54 AM   #20
musicbynumbers

I use all those things depending on project etc I'm hoping if we do keep it at the take level then there will be way to make it seem like it's at the item level so it works for you and others etc.

I'm leaning towards it auto copying these settings and a tick box to disable that but I'll leave it to Schwa to work out the best way (as he always ends up getting it right)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZpercussion View Post
Do you use Fx on takes? And do you need to route these takes to different track channels or route different take channels to common track channel?
The second way is that the take system about: variants of any one function.
The first way interesting, but too much non-standard and shouldn't stricke standard way use.
Also first way force you to mess around fx routing.

If I need to use different sources, wich goes to different channels in one track in the same time, i prefer free item position track mode.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:33 AM   #21
AZpercussion

Quote:
I use all those things depending on project etc I'm hoping if we do keep it at the take level then there will be way to make it seem like it's at the item level so it works for you and others etc.

I'm leaning towards it auto copying these settings and a tick box to disable that but I'll leave it to Schwa to work out the best way (as he always ends up getting it right)
I hope!
Maybe it's possible to implement such matrix on both levels. For takes and for items.
Schwa, pls pls pls!!!
Old 02-12-2021, 07:16 AM   #22
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
in mixdown to mono each of the two signals is at half volume (its ch1 * 0.5 + ch2 * 0.5), which can't be represented with just the pin mapping
Yes, that's correct.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:13 AM   #23
Shootkin

Default Media explorer

I apologize for the importunity, but is it possible to somehow finish the visual component of Media Explorer? I mean tree view on the left - dear devs, please add custom images to it. I would like to see it as something like in Macos or Linux - nice triangles. But not an awful pluses and minuses as it is now at Windows. Thank you in advance!
Old 02-12-2021, 08:16 AM   #24
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Could this make sense or is it too weird?

Phazma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #25
deeb

will this item channel mapping can go in the direction of send for individual items? This would be nice!