Old 01-30-2021, 06:26 PM   #1
davidcortez
Human being with feelings

Default A better way to render

Hi,

In Premiere I use a free open-source addon called Voukoder that improves the encoding process. For example, I rendered the same video file, with similar final quality (to my eyes), on Premiere and Reaper:

-Original file (video recorded with OBS): 250MB
-Rendered on Reaper (.mp4 h.264): 1,12GB
-Rendered on Premiere (using Voukoder h.264): 80MB

Voukoder needs a connector in order to work with the video editing software, and the developer is very open to suggestions of software for him to build a connector to. See, for example, this thread here https://www.voukoder.org/forum/threa...-for/?pageNo=1 and also this one https://www.voukoder.org/forum/threa...t-to-voukoder/ . I don`t understand how this connection works, but, apparently, the fact that Reaper already works with FFmpeg makes it a possible candidate.

This would fulfill a common request that I found here in the forum, and is usually along those lines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I wish REAPER could export directly to x264 with the option to specify the command parameters, or even better with access the x264 configuration dialog, without the need to export to loseless huge file and then finish the encoding in handbrake or similar. Am I dreaming too much?
Maybe it`s a good idea to make a request for a connector?

Last edited by davidcortez; 01-31-2021 at 08:01 AM. Reason: To make clear that the quote mentioned is from heda.
davidcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:35 AM   #2
H1K0

No, you're not dreaming too much. I think this is a really reasonable suggestion and I fully support your idea. Cuz 1.5GB weighting 4-minute mp4 is too silly
Old 02-06-2021, 03:50 PM   #3
Eliseat

H.264 doesn't mean its a standard size or standard rendering time. Its just a codec with parameters which are very sensitive relating to the output video.
For example, if you crank the quality parameter up to max its nearly lossless and a really big video file. There are also other aspects to look at. Which video dimensions did you choose, which color space and frame rate? All those affect the file size and render time in Reaper and every other software.

So I doubt that Reaper renders exactly the same video settings in a bigger file than any other software. Please take a closer look at how to optimize the render size and time. Maybe ask in this video section of the Reaper forums.

Greetings Eli