Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
Peevy
Human being with feelings

Default EHM..I have a confession to make.......

When I build this PC I made sure to get parts that would also be pretty compatible with a Hackintosh (I hate that name, I think I'm going to call it a Hackmac) but since finding out there was a stable native linux version of Reaper I thought I'd give Linux a go again & I'm really glad I did because it's definitely come a long way since I last used it about 6 years before I built this machine.

I moved to linux as my main os around the time of vista & really loved it (still do) but as I got more serious about music production linux just wasn't cutting it. So being very reluctant to go back to windows I moved to mac, stayed there for 6 years until it was time to upgrade again & thought it would be much cheaper to build a hackmac ready PC but first give Linux another shot with Reaper.

If all you do is produce electronic or even rock music I think Reaper on linux is a no brainer. there are a lot of great native synths & some decent drum samplers available too. But I do a lot of orchestral & sample based music with mostly kontakt, the free soundfont samples are nowhere near the quality of what's available commercially. There is always the option of using wine along with linvst which for the most part works really well, but there have been a few bumps along the way especially when it came to wine updates. which I could usually fix by rolling back to a previous version of wine. I could stick to an lts version of Ubuntu instead of Manjaro & avoid all the updates but while being a musician I'm also a tech enthusiast & like to keep things as fresh as possible.

Soooo Long story short (isn't this about 3 pages long already says you) I now dualboot Manjaro & macos with the help of opencore. It is great to have all my plugins fully operational again & I have my 2 favourite OS's working of the same computer. Just out of curiosity I ran my last Reaper/linux project that has about 20 instances of kontakt & various other plugins thanks to linvst, on macos & the cpu usage on linux was only about 10% more than macos. Load time of this project was much slower on linux though which is understandable considering there are multiple instances if linvst running. I no there's the whole Apple silicon thing & how long will intel be supported for, I could be wrong here but I'd say there could be anywhere between 5 to 10 years more of mac hackery. If not well maybe by that time kontakt & the various other plugins I use will be native linux. I'm definitely not abandoning Linux or Reaper for that matter, I've bought & used every upgrade of reaper since version 3 (I think, it's been a long time & Reaper's updated every 10 seconds ). Admittedly I'm a bit of a DAW Junky & own Reaper, Ableton, Logic, Renoise, an old copy of Studio One & recently bought cubase 10.5 for about half the normal price.

They all have there strengths & weaknesses but if I had to choose one I'm afraid it would have to be logic, it just clicked with me from day one. I also didn't realise how much I missed having a proper track inspector until I used Logic & Cubase again, it just makes life a lot easier having all the track info & most used features just there in front of your face. If Reaper had a proper built in Track Inspector, the SWS extensions & reaticulate built in plus the awesome customization features it would be close the perfect DAW. But there's a lot of setting up to get it working like cubase or logic especially if your mostly using midi & virtual instruments. the 3 things I really love about Reaper are the extensive macro creation (If you think of a feature there's probably a way of doing it in Reaper) the Auto colour sws extensions & the community. I'm not going to mention any new features from the dev versions but there are some really decent features yet to come for reaper & I can't wait to see what else the future brings.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:11 PM   #2
4duhwinnn

I like reading reading bio-related posts, experiences give a frame of reference to consider when making choices. Can't say I've ever heard of the Mac/Manjaro duo before, but it makes sense. Win10 won't ever be nuking your productivity with an ambush update!

Some day soon, I'll get an SSD and external docking case, and install nothing
but Kontakt, Reactor, Battery4, their respective extras, Raum, and a bunch of midi-out enabled plugins, to keep them busy. I don't update wine or Kontakt or Reaktor once they are working as a unit, I have little faith in Native Access, but someone reported that when they updated things with Native Access recently, the downloads were zip archives rather than iso files, and no work-arounds were needed, although I think Kontakt has come in zip archives for some time now, as well as Massive X and Raum.

A walkthru and parts list on your hacmac process would be cool!
Do you by chance have Alchemy up and running in Mainstage?
Cheers
4duhwinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:30 AM   #3
Peevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4duhwinnn View Post
Cheers
As for parts the mobo & cpu is listed in my sig, the power supply is a Corsair TX550M & 48gb (2x16, 2x8) Corsair Vengeance LTX 3000mhz ram. When it comes to ssd's you're best sticking with Crucial or Samsung for the macos drive. I used a crucial mx500 256gb ssd, I think I'll clone this to an nvme eventually but for now I'm happy enough with the speed of a standard ssd.

I don't use mainstage but Alchemy is one of my all time favourite synths, I bought it long before Apple bought it over. I actually still have copy of it running on Manjaro via linvst & it seems to run pretty well.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:51 AM   #4
Peevy

Quote:
Win10 won't ever be nuking your productivity with an ambush update!
Well yes & no. a few times macos killed grub but it only takes a few minutes to reinstall grub with a manjaro live usb. manjaro has a very handy commandline tool for this. It only seems to happen when I have the macos drive setup as my main boot drive, so I have Manjaro as my main boot drive. There is a workaround & a way to add manjaro to the opencore boot loader but I'm happy enough just using the bios quick boot picker for now.

You know I'm not saying I'm sticking with macos forever but I'm just as comfortable using macos as I am with linux. And as much as I hate windows I'm not saying I'll never go back there either, I use it at my main job. It would be great if mostly Native instruments decided to port over their entire catalogue to linux & not have to depend on linvst or some other plugin wrapper. I'd say a lot of other companies would follow if they did. It's nice to have an option like linvst on linux but if you're using a lot win plugins there is a definite performance hit & can be very slow to load a large win plugin/instrument based project. Who knows maybe someday linux will get the respect it deserves.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
s wave

Quote:
I like reading reading bio-related posts, experiences give a frame of reference to consider when making choices. Can't say I've ever heard of the Mac/Manjaro duo before, but it makes sense. Win10 won't ever be nuking your productivity with an ambush update!

Some day soon, I'll get an SSD and external docking case, and install nothing
but Kontakt, Reactor, Battery4, their respective extras, Raum, and a bunch of midi-out enabled plugins, to keep them busy. I don't update wine or Kontakt or Reaktor once they are working as a unit, I have little faith in Native Access, but someone reported that when they updated things with Native Access recently, the downloads were zip archives rather than iso files, and no work-arounds were needed, although I think Kontakt has come in zip archives for some time now, as well as Massive X and Raum.

Cheers
I am big bios post reader too... when i navigated through MSs locked bios boards (with capacitors) shorting them out hehe - I realized how important it was...tc
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote